Can't insert full magazine into Glock 22 with the slide closed

PDA

0to60
February 22, 2011, 11:05 PM
I take my Glock 22 magazine and fill it up (15 rounds) and try to insert it into the gun with the slide CLOSED, and it doesn't quite fit. Maybe if I force it, but it certainly doesn't want to go in. If I open the slide, no problem. Now, Glock's website doesn't claim "15+1" as the gun's capacity, so I guess this isn't a problem. But I was under the impression that most auto's could take a round in the chamber plus a full mag.

Springfield claims their full size 1911s are "7+1", however I cannot seem to load a full (7 rounds) magazine into the gun with the slide closed. I can't seem to obtain the 7+1 capacity for that gun.

Anyone else notice similar?

If you enjoyed reading about "Can't insert full magazine into Glock 22 with the slide closed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RedAlert
February 23, 2011, 01:27 AM
I have no experience with Glocks. Still, on all of my autos, I find that pressing the mag release helps to insert the magazine and takes less force to fully seat it as well.

JEB
February 23, 2011, 01:51 AM
glock magazine springs are pretty tight when new. when i got my G22 i could only load 14 rounds without serious effort. i loaded it up and let it lay for a few days and then unloaded and reloaded it. problem solved. as far as seating the mag with the slide closed, mine did require more pressure than i would have expected. just press it in untill you hear a *click*.

and yes your glock22 can most certainly be loaded to 15+1. (mine is right now in fact...)

458lottTN
February 23, 2011, 02:01 AM
Put in 15 and slap that mag like you mean it. You won't hurt that gun.

pikid89
February 23, 2011, 02:41 AM
man up and ram it home son!

Z-Michigan
February 23, 2011, 08:28 AM
I have a G22, this is normal. You can push it hard to seat the full mag, or be content with 14+1.

earlthegoat2
February 23, 2011, 08:32 AM
Hit it harder.

Lazyshooter
February 23, 2011, 08:34 AM
Load it with 15 rounds and let it sit for a couple or three days. This should solve your problem.

fatcat4620
February 23, 2011, 08:48 AM
Smack the crap out of it. Use a mallet if you have to.

ET
February 23, 2011, 12:26 PM
I only load my full Glock mags with the slide open. I always keep the mags one short of full when carrying spares. Not only does that make it easier to do a tactical reload it also is good for the springs according to an article I read years ago. I know there are several points of view on this subject. This is how I feel & what I do.

gofastman
February 23, 2011, 08:51 PM
its normal, ram it home!

FIVETWOSEVEN
February 23, 2011, 09:22 PM
Without a title, some of these posts could be taken the wrong way. :D

hammerklavier
February 23, 2011, 10:11 PM
Do you have an X-grip extender on the mag? If so, be careful how you hold the gun as you slam it home, or you'll get X-grip pinched!

Holo
February 23, 2011, 10:21 PM
My XDm 9 does the same thing. With slide closed i have to really slap it in. With the slide locked back it goes in smooth as butter.

To get to 15+1 just smack that bad boy in there. The tension of the mag spring is being pressed further to put the mag in on a closed slide. Its just spring tension you are encountering and slapping it a bit harder wont hurt anything.

Drail
February 23, 2011, 10:37 PM
You need the optional Glock hammer used for seating Glock mags into Glock guns. (you guys are killing me with all of this "smack it harder" stuff. If you can't push it in until it locks then there is a problem.

RedAlert
February 24, 2011, 09:43 PM
It scares me to see so many response from the "If all else fails, get a bigger hammer!" group. I like the responses to download to 14+1 until it loosens up somewhat. Then go for a full capacity load out.

bri
February 25, 2011, 08:29 AM
It scares me to see so many response from the "If all else fails, get a bigger hammer!" group. I like the responses to download to 14+1 until it loosens up somewhat. Then go for a full capacity load out.
Curious, why does that scare you?

I'm with the "hit it harder" crowd. If you're concerned about smacking a magazine into place with a good amount of force, then I'd definitely be concerned about your firearm falling to pieces when you pull the trigger.

Ben86
February 25, 2011, 09:48 AM
If it's relatively new this is normal. Try keeping them fully loaded for a week and the spring will loosen up. Until it loosens up a bit, just go 14+1.

I don't go +1 capacity in order to help insure proper mag seating and slide function, but that's just me.

ny32182
February 25, 2011, 10:01 AM
What you are seeing is completely normal, and will not go away even after the mag springs are broken in. You just need to smack it harder to seat the mag with a full 15 rds.

I always seat the mag with authority even when it is not full. It doesn't take any longer to do this, but it sure will take a lot of time to fix if it is not seated and/or falls out.

ForumSurfer
February 25, 2011, 10:21 AM
I'm with the "hit it harder" crowd. If you're concerned about smacking a magazine into place with a good amount of force, then I'd definitely be concerned about your firearm falling to pieces when you pull the trigger.

This. I ram it home pretty hard. As a matter of fact, sometimes I ram it home hard enough that the slide closes for me sometimes if it is locked open. It's a firearm. It contains explosions violently and repeatedly. I good, solid whack isn't going to hurt it.

Those mag springs will last you awhile. I think +1 or -1 is going to make any negligible difference. You can go -1 all you want and you may get a couple hundred more rounds out of the mag, which isn't much.

RedAlert
February 25, 2011, 12:42 PM
Usually the crowd that favors the Hit it Harder ignore the underlying cause of why something doesn't work with normal applied force.
Yes pistols are designed to contain explosive force. But really they are meant to contain those forces when used in a proper manner.
I can see some of you under the hood of your car with a sledge hammer wailing away and wondering why it won't start.
I suggest you find out why something won't work and only then apply measured force as needed.
Of course you can hammer the thing into submission, its your weapon. But I'd never let you touch one of my weapons.

ny32182
February 25, 2011, 12:47 PM
Usually the crowd that favors the Hit it Harder ignore the underlying cause of why something doesn't work with normal applied force.

In this case the cause of the extra force needed when the mag is full is well known and universal.

Yes pistols are designed to contain explosive force. But really they are meant to contain those forces when used in a proper manner.
I can see some of you under the hood of your car with a sledge hammer wailing away and wondering why it won't start.

You are confusing a known best practice with something... very different, to say the least.

Claude Clay
February 25, 2011, 01:03 PM
if the mag spring is fully compressed when x # of rounds are loaded, than there is no room left for the bottom of the slide to push down on the top cartrage when the mag is inserted. banging on it might make you feel better but it does not the issue solve.
try clippping 1 ( and if that dont work-2) coils of the mag spring if that 1 more round is that important to you.
otherwise, reread RDF; esp the last sentance.

i own no glocks but as their mags are used in other firearms, i have some experience with them. and yes, they can be tight when new.
so the load & leave it awhile often does work. even the up-lulu may not get you to the promised round with a new mag.
hitting or pounding on it is just plain (pre-deleated by me).

ForumSurfer
February 25, 2011, 01:26 PM

It's a magazine. There isn't anything beyond simple mechanics going on. If it won't seat then you're doing something wrong, your release is broken, there's an issue inside your mag or you aren't putting it in hard enough. A glock can be completely stripped to the point it can't be disassembled any further in about 5 minutes or less. There isn't much to comprehend here. The mags are tough, they will take the abuse. I have 10-15 that I just can't seem to wear out despite my barbaric approach.

Actually I've rebuilt and assembled many motors in my time, including some supercharged or nitrous sniffing, hand grenade small blocks. I've restored a couple of cars, also. Sometimes you do need a bigger hammer, sometimes you need a delicate touch.

I suggest you find out why something won't work and only then apply measured force as needed.

Again, it is a magazine...not a complex piece of machinery. If one mag has the issue...investigate. If they all have the issue, hit it harder.

Of course you can hammer the thing into submission, its your weapon

Yes, it is.

But I'd never let you touch one of my weapons.

I don't work on other people's weapons, nor would I want to.

bri
February 25, 2011, 03:35 PM
Of course you can hammer the thing into submission, its your weapon. But I'd never let you touch one of my weapons.

In this case, it's not that something isn't "working", it's a just that more force needs to be applied, to a known issue.

I certainly wouldn't use a hammer to seat a magazine but I'll sure as heck give it a good whack with my palm, with absolutely no fear of anything breaking on the firearm.

I'm far from any type of tactical training expert, but I'm pretty sure the "tap" they refer to in the "tap/rack/bang" malfunction drill, is more on the side of "hard whack" than "tippity tap".

GLOOB
February 25, 2011, 03:36 PM
If you can't press the mag home without slamming/slapping/hammering, then just load 'em -1... and start wearing a skirt. And don't bother with KCI aftermarket G19 mags, because you'll probably need to trade in your hammer for a hydraulic jack.

I'm far from any type of tactical training expert, but I'm pretty sure the "tap" they refer to in the "tap/rack/bang" malfunction drill, is more on the side of "hard whack" than "tippity tap". Sure, give it a whack when it's already in and you experience a malfunction while doing tactical drills. (As an aside, I'd like to be there when you slam your 33 rd mag home with a running start, while the slide is open.) But, when you're readying your gun for SD or home defense, you're a step ahead if you can actually press it home and hear/feel/see the mag catch close and KNOW it's seated all the way. Slapping or hammering it obscures this feedback, which is what opens the door for partially seated mags in the first place.*

Instead of slamming the mag home, just slide it in easy. Grip gun in a secure shooting grip. Then with the mag on the heel of your support hand, close fingers over the middle finger of your shooting grip, and squeeze.

*then you can start slapping it three times, just to be less unsure. Like the way the tactical doods are now working the action 3 times to safety check a gun, instead of actually knowing what to look for and being sure the first time.

ny32182
February 25, 2011, 03:50 PM
I give mine a pretty stout smack home all the time. This means I can do the same motion regardless of whether I'm loading a partially full mag, a full mag, slide open, or closed; doesn't matter, it works the same way every time.

bri
February 25, 2011, 03:54 PM
...(As an aside, I'd like to be there when you slam your 33 rd mag home with a running start, while the slide is open.)

I've never had an issue seating a 33 rnd mag in my G26, the length of the magazine seems to give plenty of leverage to push it home without a whack.

But, when you're readying your gun for SD or home defense, you're a step ahead if you can actually press it home and hear/feel/see the mag catch close and KNOW it's seated all the way. Slapping or hammering it removes this feedback and opens the door for partially seated mags, in the first place.

I agree 100%. I don't have to hit any of my mags home, on the G21 or the G26. BUT, my main point is that if I had to, I would without a second thought. :)

toejamm
February 25, 2011, 04:58 PM
You barbarians. Hitting things, banging, hammering, smacking.......that is no way to affect a positive response from something. I think that you should find a comfy chair, have a seat, take a deep breath, hold the magazine in a soft but firm way and explain to it that you are very disappointed in its recent behavior. Tell it that you expect better from it. That your feelings are hurt and you are very emotional about the situation. That you would feel much better if the magazine would promise to do better next time.
Big Hug, Kiss Kiss. And everything will be better. At least you'll feel better about it.

Alright, enough of that. Glock mags are notorious for being stiff, especially at first. I put a new +10% Wolff spring in my 27 mag and right now it is being naughty, pouting in the corner because it was being reluctant to take the 9th round. Load it with 14, let it loosen up and it should work.......eventually.

I work with tools and machinery frequently and seldom find the BFH approach helpful. That said, the right amount of force at the right time will work on occasion.

Bonesinium
February 25, 2011, 05:18 PM
man up and ram it home son!

Hit it harder.

its normal, ram it home!

Smack the crap out of it. Use a mallet if you have to.

That's what she said.

And I agree, really jam it in there. It might be a tight fit, but I promise it will go. You will feel when it's all the way in.

toejamm
February 25, 2011, 10:05 PM
Bonesinium,
That's good stuff! Tou'che.

W.E.G.
February 25, 2011, 11:04 PM
Chews up the top two or three rounds pretty good if you force the mag on those same rounds several times.

Zerodefect
February 26, 2011, 09:28 AM
Older Glock .40 mags may have updated followers and springs that don't seem to hold full capacity. I have a G22 mag that only holds 14, while my fresh G22 mag is easy to load to 15.

If you buy mags from a dusty shelf at a gun store you may run into this. Or the shop owner may try dupe you by giving you his lame mags instead of fresh ones.

Buy some new mags online from a company that is out of stock on mags frequenty. Lonewolf sells every G22 mag the get in. I'd start there, surefire why to get the latest most current mag/follower/spring.

Caliper_RWVA
February 26, 2011, 10:13 AM
Try this: with a fully loaded mag outside the gun, push down on the top round with your thumb. When you are loading the mag into the pistol, you have to apply enough force to push that top round down to get the mag fully seated. If you want to see how far down the top round must be pushed, load the mag with the slide locked back and compare the position of the top round vs the part of the slide that pushes it forward out of the mag. Designs that put the top round of the mag further up feed more reliably, but at the expense of more force to seat the mag.

On a fully loaded mag, I shove it in there pretty forcefully, often while pushing the mag release button. Using a hammer or a mallet doesn't seem like a good idea though!

Ben86
February 28, 2011, 03:52 PM
And don't bother with KCI aftermarket G19 mags, because you'll probably need to trade in your hammer for a hydraulic jack.

You make me feel like Heeman! I got my new KCI G19 mags loaded up to 15 rounds, with the help of my glock mag loader tool that I rarely use, and they seated just fine in my gun.

Shawn Dodson
February 28, 2011, 05:48 PM
I load my Glock 19 with the slide in battery (seat, roll & rack) to condition myself to the extra effort required to seat a fully loaded magazine after clearing a doublefeed stoppage or performing a tactical reload (the slide will be in battery in both cases).

GLOOB writes: (As an aside, I'd like to be there when you slam your 33 rd mag home with a running start, while the slide is open.)

No problem. If you examine any Glock magazine you'll see it has a feature that prevents the magazine from being over inserted. The top left side of the magazine body, near the spine, has a protruding sharp shoulder that engages another protruding sharp shoulder molded in the frame at the top of magazine well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can't insert full magazine into Glock 22 with the slide closed" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!