Washington State Hoot and Shoot

PDA

Polishrifleman
February 23, 2011, 12:36 PM
June 25th Weekend

Same place, same set up.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=516269&highlight=washington

PM me if you would like more information.

If you enjoyed reading about "Washington State Hoot and Shoot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kitchen_Duty
February 24, 2011, 08:40 PM
Maggie and I are in, granted that's a bit far away time wise but we are in!

LWYM425
February 24, 2011, 09:53 PM
thanks for the early notice, its the week after my wedding so I'll need all the time I can get to work an angle!

Polishrifleman
February 24, 2011, 11:26 PM
Alphabet, way to ruin Fathers Day for yourself with an anniversary!!! What's mine is mine, what's ours is mine, and WHAT'S YOURS is MINE.:neener:

Oh yeah, congrats early.

Old Dog
February 25, 2011, 12:42 AM
Hoo-yah! As always, greatly looking forward to seeing everyone ...

Bob R
February 27, 2011, 04:00 AM
I keep trying to get to this but something always comes up. Maybe this year I will blow off the annual pilgramage to MT for rafting and stay closer to home.

bob

LWYM425
February 28, 2011, 10:09 AM
Turns out she's great with the idea, and even said she would go! ...and then she reminded me I'll be in Cleveland that weekend for my buddies bachelor party.

I may know some interested parties if you don't mind me passing on the word

armedandsafe
March 4, 2011, 10:47 AM
I'm in. I think I'll be bringing Ty with me again.

Pops

J. Parker
March 12, 2011, 08:33 PM
I'll be there.:D

LWYM425
March 16, 2011, 11:06 PM
Bump for promotion... I was a first timer last year, went by myself and had a great time with some shooters.

Kitchen_Duty
March 17, 2011, 01:52 AM
Hey this year I should have my glock 10mm but no tactical light though... like some others.

You know who you are.

armedandsafe
April 1, 2011, 07:58 PM
Christopher and Ashley are confirmed. Note from Christopher:

My e-mail is thechainmule @ yahoo(etc) We're gonna bring sourdough pancakes, potato salad, homebrew, & I was thinking BBQ baked beans to go with dinner Saturday. I will need to send a big cooler in yer pickup & maybe a tent, sleeping bags, etc. Ash wants to know if we can claim the trailer again=

Pops

L8tor
May 2, 2011, 11:22 PM
Just 2 short months to go.

Old Dog
May 3, 2011, 01:55 AM
Anyone heard from Dean? Wayne?

MD_Willington
May 3, 2011, 08:18 PM
Once again, another year I cannot attend, heading back up to BC in late July instead... you guys have fun!

Polishrifleman
May 4, 2011, 02:31 AM
Dean and the boys are in, no word from Wayne that I know of. Been out trying to kill a turkey.

MD, sorry you can't make it. Have fun in Candahuvia, a friend of mine is doing great things at the Pemberton Gun Club.

cyclopsshooter
May 4, 2011, 03:07 AM
How does this work? Bring as many firearms as you like and BYOAmmo?

Polishrifleman
May 4, 2011, 02:50 PM
Long winded PM sent to Cyclops

MD_Willington
May 4, 2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks Polishrifleman... I actually just finished up with Boomershoot 2011, very similar to your event, but we make things a little more exciting through chemistry, the explody kind ! (all legal of course).

Polishrifleman
May 16, 2011, 05:44 PM
Just posted the menu, still room for anyone that might want to join us. Unfortunately it coincides with Seattleguns shoot down in Olympia.

armedandsafe
May 17, 2011, 12:49 AM
Chris and Ashley have had something come up and won't make it, this year. I'm bummed, but I understand.

Pops

FourTeeFive
May 17, 2011, 09:48 AM
Ok to just come for a few hours?

LWYM425
May 17, 2011, 10:05 PM
after a few hours you'll wanna stay... just saying

J. Parker
May 18, 2011, 09:03 PM
Absolutely.........

cyclopsshooter
May 18, 2011, 09:26 PM
Don't know if you have discussed this on multiply but have people made suggestions of firearms they would like a chance to shoot?

AR15 (or does everyone have those now>)
m14?
s&w41?

J. Parker
May 18, 2011, 09:58 PM
There's alot of good variety. I'm bringing a boring Glock 23 40cal pistol. I've got a bunch of ammo so let's shoot the hell out of it. Hehe. I'm bringing my personel carry piece a Sig P220 45cal. Years and years of gun tradin' and I'm bringing my very first AR-15 with a reddot sight. Yeah baby! I'm also bringing a thirty year old S&W M25-5 45colt in like new condition! Bring you're checkbook's!!!! Hehehehe.

FourTeeFive
May 18, 2011, 10:47 PM
Maybe next year we can have some suppressors for a quiet shoot time!

J. Parker
May 19, 2011, 12:07 AM
..........AND I totaled the Chevy Silverado duramax so I'll be in a new truck. I'M ALIVE!

FourTeeFive
May 19, 2011, 12:58 AM
..........AND I totaled the Chevy Silverado duramax so I'll be in a new truck. I'M ALIVE!

Good to hear! I meant the alive part, not the Chevy...

armedandsafe
May 19, 2011, 12:57 PM
Neighbor farmer has a couple of scrap discs I'll be bringing. He and I are arguing about price just now, but I've got him all the way up to $5.00 for the pair. I'll need help getting them out of the back of the pickup when I get up there.

Pops

Kitchen_Duty
May 20, 2011, 01:36 AM
I'll probably bring my usual gun owner list, some of my rarities are:

CZ-75 9mm
Mosin Nagant
And maybe the most rare of the group: a beretta CX4 carbine in 9mm (it's like the highpoint carbine... but more beretta)

If you want to shoot a pistol, i've got a 357, 9mm, and a 45,

I'm ok with anyone shooting my guns, i just prefer you guys bring your own ammo :D

If anyone is interested in a henry 22 like this one: Henry 22 (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=231078122) I'll let it go for $250. I'd link the henry website but it appears down.

J. Parker
May 20, 2011, 02:08 AM
I've got a little 7.62X54 so I'll bring it. I don't have a 9mm so your welcome to that also.

~John

cyclopsshooter
May 20, 2011, 02:16 AM
Nice J.Parker, If I can make it Ill bring my Mosin M44 so people can shoot it up :)

Kitchen_Duty
May 20, 2011, 04:34 PM
So does anyone have a blackpowder rifle they would like to part with? I'm especially looking for anything made by CVA, traditions, or lyman. Much prefer it to be a sidelock instead of an inline and would be even interested in a flintlock.

> .50 caliber only

-Kitchen

cyclopsshooter
May 20, 2011, 09:14 PM
Kitchen Duty, I have a few at my store- I can list them tomorrow if you wish.

Polishrifleman
May 22, 2011, 02:13 AM
Roadway flooded, should be ready by the shoot but I will keep all posted in the event we need alternate directions. Check out the Ellensburg Newspaper. The creek shifted course where we get river rock and went down the middle of the road!:eek:

Kitchen_Duty
May 22, 2011, 03:08 AM
Yeah we were driving out near your place on 410 today looking for mushrooms... it's suppose to rain like that for the next 10 days...

Hope your place/road/etc fairs well.

cyclopsshooter
May 22, 2011, 03:48 AM
http://dailyrecordnews.com/top_story/hydrologist-this-was-a-unique-mass-rain-event/article_5f6006b6-8341-11e0-a129-001cc4c002e0.html

armedandsafe
May 23, 2011, 01:06 AM
Late June? It will be OK by then. So far as running water on the roadway, that is. ;)

Pops

Old Dog
May 23, 2011, 03:13 AM
Gee, don't check for a few days and you guys are actually talkin' again ...

Parker got an AR? (Finally!). Pops, sorry to hear Chris and Ashley can't make it ... Sarah was thinking she'd like to come again if she didn't work that weekend.

armedandsafe
May 23, 2011, 11:46 PM
Actually, he cancelled officially because it had to be moved into the doubtful column. He might make it, he might not make it, then again ... :what:

Just got a note from Coyote 270 that they are not letting very many vehicles through Manastash Ridge road.

As soon as FirstInLine gets off line, I'll go into google earth and see if I can figure out the back way into the place. I think there is a forest road that can get us there.

Pops

cyclopsshooter
May 24, 2011, 12:02 AM
I was up shooting on Durr Rd today and the roads were fine.

armedandsafe
May 26, 2011, 08:39 PM
This just in from WDFW.

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/

May 26, 2011

Flooding forces safety closures on central
Washington wildlife area roads; restricts river access

YAKIMA-Recent flooding has forced Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) managers to close about 25 miles of roads on three wildlife areas and restrict use of Yakima River access sites in south-central Washington.

"In the interest of public safety, these roads will remain closed until drier conditions make them passable or until we can secure emergency funding to repair them," said Ted Clausing, WDFWs regional wildlife program manager in Yakima.

The affected road sections are posted with closure signs.

On the Colockum Wildlife Area in Kittitas and Chelan counties, the road along the North Fork of Tarpiscan Creek and the bridge over the South Fork of Tarpiscan Creek are closed due to washouts.

On the L.T. Murray Wildlife Area in Kittitas County, sections of Hutchins, Murray, and Tamarack Ridge roads are closed. The Hutchins Road closure at Yahne Canyon also restricts access to adjacent U.S. Forest Service (USFS) property. The portion of Murray Road that runs north-south from Hutchins Road to Shell Rock Road is closed. The Tamarack Ridge Road closure is at the intersection with Ainsley Canyon, Joe Watt Canyon, and Page Pasture roads, directly south of the Hutchins Road closure.

In addition, adjacent USFS closures due to flooding in the Taneum and Manastash areas limit access to the L.T. Murray Wildlife Area. Altogether, state and federal closures effectively limit motorized access on about one third of the wildlife area. Two main access points at Joe Watt and Robinson Canyons will be open, and most of the areas normally used for camping will be available.

On the Wenas Wildlife Area in Yakima and Kittitas counties, parts of Durr and Kelley Hollow roads are closed. On Durr Road, the crossing at Umtanum Creek is closed, but access up to the crossing location, from both the Selah and Ellensburg sides, remains open. The Kelley Hollow Road closure runs from the elk fence gate above North Wenas Road for approximately two miles; closure signs are posted at the intersection with Hessler Flat Road and on the Kelley Hollow Road just above the damaged section.

The Yakima River access site at Fitzimmons/Sawyer is closed to vehicle use because the river has undercut the roadway. Other WDFW water-access sites on the Yakima River may have limited facilities, with some toilets flooded and some boat ramps washed out. WDFW officials advise using caution at recreation sites on any creeks and rivers affected by the flooding.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been sent to the WDFW News Releases & Weekender mailing list.
Visit the WDFW News Release Archive at: http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/

Pops

Kitchen_Duty
May 27, 2011, 12:23 AM
So, for those really unfamiliar with the local geography:

are we still in
are we out
are we waiting

J. Parker
May 27, 2011, 12:27 AM
A month from now? Let's party!!!! Hehehehehehe............:what:

Polishrifleman
May 27, 2011, 01:44 AM
We are on, fixing the paved roads first and then the gravel. Alphabet Soup is going in over 410 this weekend, I gave him some directions. If Robinson and Joe Watt are open we can meander around and find my place.

LWYM425
May 27, 2011, 12:40 PM
I'm going to go a "National Forest" office in Everett on my lunch break to verify my route. Robinson is now primary, 410 is secondary.

LWYM425
May 27, 2011, 02:53 PM
they were 0 help "just administrative"

Oh well, here goes...

FourTeeFive
May 27, 2011, 04:34 PM
How long is the gravel portion and is it passable with a regular sedan?

Kitchen_Duty
May 27, 2011, 04:50 PM
How long is the gravel portion and is it passable with a regular sedan?

I've seen a minivan up there before but this was before our rain. Generally all but the last 5 miles is gravel/paved forest service roads. The only tricky parts is where you'll have deep ruts from streams/trucks cutting into the road. If you ride the ridge you can generally be ok.

The other really tricky part is the actual entrance to his place. It's up a pretty steep hill and you might need a running start to get up it.

Cell service is really hit and miss out there so if you need a ride up from the bottom of the hill, better plan ahead with someone to meet you at a certain time.

armedandsafe
May 28, 2011, 12:58 AM
First year up I took the el Camino. Standard tires and rims. Couple of years ago, my #3 idiot son took his Harley up. Last year, I took the trailer with the 8 inch rims and had a problem, but that was my fault for not watching that the trailer exactly followed the pickup.

One year, an adventerous fellow had a motor home up there. :D

If you don't go crazy and you watch the potholes carefully, you will be just fine.

Pops

Vel454
May 28, 2011, 09:22 AM
Realize I'm new to the board, but seen a WA get-together and have to ask - where's the location? Just having a new born I doubt the wife will let me slip away, but we'll see.

-Bill

kayak-man
May 30, 2011, 03:06 AM
I just might be able to make it out there. I'm teaching an archery class for Poulsbo Parks and Rec that week, but it should be done by the weekend and if I can afford the gas, I'll try and show up. Unfortunately, I don't really have anything too impressive, but I'll help with any heavy lifting that needs doing.

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

Polishrifleman
May 31, 2011, 02:24 AM
Happy Memorial Day, and thanks to our troops.

Alphabet never made it up this weekend to the cabin so I don't have a direct report but roads should be fine.

Clearance is the key, as mentioned we have had a myriad of vehicles from Kia's, Civic's, Harley's, big trucks, small trucks, cab overs, camper trailers. Just watch the ruts and take your time.

Location is up the Manastash toward Walter Springs. As mentioned PM me and I can get you more firm information. This is about our 4th or 5th year, great bunch of guys and we like to see new faces.

LWYM425
May 31, 2011, 11:54 AM
Yeah.... came up Robinson the first night and drove down every turn out we came to. Must have taken a wrong turn cause we looped up North without seeing any barricades. Still got some shooting in, took out a rattler that was by our tents/a creek too. The views from up top were pretty outstanding. You guys will all have fun.

Stay safe

Bob R
June 5, 2011, 07:26 AM
I just know that one of these years this will be held on a weekend I am off. I work every other one, so it is a 50-50 chance. Of course I am batting .000 so far.

bob

J. Parker
June 5, 2011, 07:51 PM
bob....call in sick, I won't tell.;)

armedandsafe
June 10, 2011, 10:02 PM
Polish just put this up on Multiply:

Ok, here is the latest. They should be opening up the Taneum Drainage before the shoot but Manastash definately will not be open.

Looks like we are going to be able to make it happen with a slight change. I will keep you posted if this isn't going to work.

What does this mean: New Route to Cabin. Longer Travel Time. More Forest Service and Logging Roads (about 12 more).

Go over to our sign up sheet on Multiply 2a Washington for full directions.

Pops

Polishrifleman
June 14, 2011, 04:21 AM
It is with much sadness and regret that I write this post. I am officially canceling the shoot. Due to the recent flooding and lack of funds to fix the roads, there isn't going to be any way up to the property. The Taneum side isn't open yet and even if it does open the district ranger said the roads further on toward my place will still be closed.

Mother Nature pulled one on us. In the event anyone wants to shoot seattleguns.net is having their shoot in the Capital Forest that same weekend. If I hear good things I would love to reschedule, but I am hearing October.

J. Parker
June 14, 2011, 10:13 AM
Bob....you're a fine man and friend. You made all the great food, fun shooting and meeting new friends possible with your creation of the WA ST Hoot and Shoot. We'll get together again next year and have even a better time.

~Take care my friend, John

Old Dog
June 14, 2011, 02:52 PM
I can only echo John's comments. 'Tis sad, and I know I will sorely miss seeing all of you this year. Combat roll! The Captain! Pops' stories ... broken chairs, fire-walking ... the great people, the cameraderie.

Thank you, Bob, for bringing us together and your generous hospitality. Next year?

armedandsafe
June 15, 2011, 12:57 AM
Even though it looked as if I wouldn't be able to make it this year, I am saddened by this turn of events.

Pops

Kitchen_Duty
June 15, 2011, 01:33 AM
After i did all the google mapping too lol

Well, if you reschedule, just give a post and we'll be in touch. Hope to see you guys soon.

Dean C
June 17, 2011, 01:22 PM
I'll miss seeing you guys too.
Next year we can have twice the fun.
dean

busy_squirrel
June 18, 2011, 08:53 PM
So does this mean there will be a work party later in the year to fix the roads? ;)

armedandsafe
June 19, 2011, 01:40 AM
It will take more than a walk-behind to fix the roads enough to get them to lift the restrictions. :D We are hoping at least something gets repaired enough to get in to the place before it freezes up again.

They will be doing some work on some of the roads, I'm sure, as they have to keep the fire roads in repair. Whether they do enough to get us in is the question.

Pops

Polishrifleman
June 19, 2011, 11:16 AM
144167I made it up to the gate and here is what would normally be the sno-park for those of you that remember as well as a couple other pictures. The Forest Service thinks we are about a month behind on runoff so snow is still at May levels. The river is roaring. The pavement is still closed all the way out into the valley, estimates from Kittitas County Public Works is maybe have the pavement repaired by October. Don't know what they are going to do for the Bow Hunters???

Polish

J. Parker
June 19, 2011, 06:29 PM
Hey, wait a minute.......I could make it!:D

Wayne02
June 20, 2011, 05:18 PM
Bob,
Thanks for the update, sometimes things just don't work out. And thanks for facilitating this deal every year, it certainly is one of the highlights of my year. Lots of shooting, good food, and most importantly, great people.

Wayne

busy_squirrel
June 20, 2011, 10:01 PM
Agreed. One year of weather doesn't mean you haven't been an excellent host.:cool:

Dallas1
July 10, 2011, 01:57 AM
Hi, I just joined here today (7-9-2011) and am wondering where can I go shooting outdoors and not get in trouble with the law or locals?
I hear Wa., state land is ok, but from searching around on the web, people blog and say that the state property even has signs put up that say, No Shooting. My character: I don't want to get in any trouble, I don't have a record- I'm not a criminal, never been in jail. I clean up after myself after a shooting session and I clean up other peoples messes such as plastic containers, cans, broken glass, but not the refrigerator. :)
I looked up a possible place just east of Northbend, Wa, exit 42 onto Tinkham road? I'd hate to drive 50 minutes to see no shooting signs plastered all over and then have to turn around and go home.
I guess I have been somewhat spoiled having lived in Utah and Texas--I could drive a short distance and be shooting at a nice backstop in no time- no problem.
Wa., state is a bit different- I believe kind of picky. If anyone knows of a specific place/s that is legal, I sure would appreciate it.
thanks a lot.

FourTeeFive
July 10, 2011, 10:58 AM
where can I go shoot openly-and safe?

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=591140

FourTeeFive
July 10, 2011, 11:51 AM
I couldn't make it this year; any pics posted?

If you enjoyed reading about "Washington State Hoot and Shoot" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!