smith 15 advise

PDA

boltbender
February 24, 2011, 08:33 PM
I wish to purchase a revolver especially for idpa. I have come across a S&W 15-2 which appears to be unused. The one area of concern is the little spring-loaded thing that goes into the notches on the cylinder. Sometimes it allows the cylinder to spin ala the "Russian Roulette" thing. When cocked the cylinder is rock solid.Is this a deal breaker? My other question is: since this gun can't handle +p is there going to be a problem with the idpa power requirement?

If you enjoyed reading about "smith 15 advise" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MrBorland
February 24, 2011, 09:11 PM
Awesome! A 15-2 would make a very nice IDPA SSR gun.

The little spring-loaded thing is the cylinder stop. Check the condition of the stop and the cylinder slots to see that they're not peened or rounded over, which could cause the problem, and would need some 'smithing to fix.

If it's really barely-used, though, I suspect it likely just needs a cleaning and re-lubing. The stop spring's not a big strong one, so some old crusty lube may be enough to bind it occasionally.

As to the ammo, IDPA just lowered the SSR PF to 105k from 125k to accommodate those who'd like to shoot factory .38spl, so the 15-2 will handle it with ease. Even with the old PF, it'd take a lot of shooting to cause ammo-related wear. That said, competition is tough on revolvers, and most of the wear and tear will accrue from shooting not related to the ammo - namely reloads, and fast DA shooting.

Nasty
March 2, 2011, 12:21 PM
I used a 15 for years in PPC...never had a lick of trouble.

They get *glass* smooth over time.

Lucky Derby
March 2, 2011, 12:31 PM
Why do you think a M15-2 can't take +P? S&W says all model marked steel K frames are +P rated.
Even if that were not the case today's +P loads are what standard loads were in the 1960's and earlier.

rainbowbob
March 2, 2011, 03:02 PM
As to the ammo, IDPA just lowered the SSR PF to 105k from 125k to accommodate those who'd like to shoot factory .38spl

They DID?! Good to know. I've shot my M 15-3 in IDPA and finding factory ammo that made the 125K power floor was a real issue.

MrBorland
March 2, 2011, 04:03 PM
As to the ammo, IDPA just lowered the SSR PF to 105k from 125k to accommodate those who'd like to shoot factory .38spl

They DID?! Good to know. I've shot my M 15-3 in IDPA and finding factory ammo that made the 125K power floor was a real issue.

Yep. Effective about 6 weeks ago.

Right from HQ: http://www.idpa.com/SSRPowerFloor.asp

"Reduction of the power floor for the Stock Service Revolver Division:

IDPA recognizes the difficulty of finding off the shelf factory loaded .38 special ammunition that meets the existing 125,000 power floor for SSR. Because of this difficulty, IDPA has decided to lower the power floor required for SSR to 105,000. The 105,000 power floor will allow more off the shelf brands of ammunition to meet the requirement for the SSR division. This change in power floor should allow IDPA members more opportunity to participate in the SSR division without having to invest in reloading equipment.

This change in power floor will become effective on January 17th, 2011.

For reasons of continuity, the ongoing 2010/2011 Postal Match will still require 125,000 power floor ammunition to be used for any matches yet to be held."

rainbowbob
March 2, 2011, 05:03 PM
IDPA has decided to lower the power floor required for SSR to 105,000

Thanks MrBorland! I wrote to them last year requesting it be lowered to 110,000 for that very reason and received a reply that it wasn't being considered at that time. It makes great sense given the ammo available and the impracticality for some of us to load our own.

MrBorland
March 2, 2011, 06:36 PM
Thanks MrBorland! I wrote to them last year requesting it be lowered to 110,000 for that very reason and received a reply that it wasn't being considered at that time.

My pleasure. I'm on board with anything that helps bolster the ranks of revolver shooters. Thanks for getting the ball rolling! ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "smith 15 advise" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!