H&R Springfield Trapdoor replica--any good? Price?

PDA

Don Gwinn
January 5, 2004, 01:04 AM
Was browsing the local gun shop and they had two new rifles on the C&R stand. These are locked down and I had the kids with me just picking up a scope mount, so I didn't ask to see 'em. One was an original Trapdoor Springfield. Neat, but in poor condition, for $600.

The other was a gun I didn't know existed--an H&R Trapdoor replica, which looked at least VG to Excellent for $500.

Now, I don't have the cash to worry about these things right now, but dad has been bugging me for awhile about trading for or buying a .45-70. He doesn't seem to care what gun--could be a high wall, lever action, whatever. He's just got a thing for the caliber right now. (Yeah, I knew this group would understand how that could happen.)

Anyway, he keeps asking my advice, and I think a trap door would be the essence of the COOL .45-70. Now that I've joined a club with a 200-yard range and he's actually started SHOOTING some of his vast collection, he's really looking.

Any opinions on the H&R? Availability? Reasonable prices for a shooter?

If you enjoyed reading about "H&R Springfield Trapdoor replica--any good? Price?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MrAcheson
January 5, 2004, 11:56 AM
Don,

You might want to check with a cowboy forum for more info since the long range side matches for CAS practically require a single shot .45-70. For accuracy you really can't beat a sharps or hiwall. But for fun? The trapdoor is pretty classic alright.

Preacherman
January 5, 2004, 12:01 PM
Don, I own one, and paid $600 for it. It's a high price, but these things are simply not available in very large numbers - I've only seen one for sale (the one I bought) in the past seven years of browsing local gunshops. I love mine, and it's a real piece of history (as well as being very accurate). As long as you shoot standard-pressure loads through it, it's fine.

Also, for $500 you could buy a Marlin Guide gun - but everyone has those! :D I'd say go for this one. You're not likely to find another soon...

critter
January 5, 2004, 01:06 PM
For the same $5-600, you could buy a Ruger #1 in 45-70. It has a classy (maybe not 'old world classic') look and is a fantastic shooter, hunting arm. It can handle enything from 'punkin chunkin' loads of cast lead up to loudenboomineargesplittin levels and I dare you to try to wear it out!

Bainx
January 5, 2004, 01:38 PM
And, to think that Guncraft in Knoxville, had an entire rack of these [45/70 Trapdoors, genuine] for a couple two-three hundred dollars each a few months ago!

blfuller
January 5, 2004, 04:13 PM
If it was an Officers model with the tang sight and pewter end cap on the stock, I'd jump on it. These have a longer barrel than the carbine.

Slingster
January 5, 2004, 05:09 PM
I had an H&R Officers Model for awhile before trading toward something else. It shot quite accurately and functioned without problems using IMR 3031 powder and 405-grain hard cast lead bullets at around 1300 fps.

Kestrel
January 5, 2004, 06:08 PM
I know of one of the Officer's models for sale that I have kind of been thinking about. It is in perfect shape and has the pewter forend tip and a tang sight. I think they wanted about $800 for it, but no way for that price.

I guess I just don't know what I would do with it, since I couldn't shoot higher powered loads out of it.

Steve

Don Gwinn
January 5, 2004, 10:49 PM
No way I can pay $500 for anything right now. Dad might do that in a couple of months, but I think he was thinking more of trading some of the pieces he never uses. I was hoping this model might be something widely available and at a lower price than originals.

If I take $500 out of the account now, my wife will find out within the week. When that happens, I'd better be on an organ donor list or she'll put me on one. :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "H&R Springfield Trapdoor replica--any good? Price?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!