$5.00 A Gallon

PDA

lizziedog1
February 25, 2011, 08:50 AM
This gas price situation is bad. Five dollars a gallon is predicted by summer. I am wondering if this will impact any of your shooting and/or hunting activities? I have some places to hunt and shoot not too far from here. But there are some species that require a longer drive. I really don't know if I will be able to pursue them.

I am also worried that the price of shooting supplies will also rise. Transportation costs will surely be passed on to the consumers. I also wonder if pertoleum products are used to make gun powder. Some lubricants are oil based, I guess they will go up in price.

Please lets not turn this thread into a debate about oil companies, the Middle East, or politics. I want to know how increased gas prices will affect our sports. I am going to continue to shoot and hunt. But how much? Probably less then now.:fire:

If you enjoyed reading about "$5.00 A Gallon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SOUTHPAW
February 25, 2011, 08:54 AM
If gas tops $4.50 a gallon I'll definitely cut my shooting down to strictly practice with my 2 EDC pistols, maybe once a month. Other than that, I plan on trading in my V6 daily driver for a compact 4cyl as well as riding my motorcycle to help save on gas... Too bad this stuff happens every few years...

reuben mishler
February 25, 2011, 08:54 AM
You are probably right. I often tend to forget how oil pretty much effects everything. If not directly to firearms and their products, but in transportation costs and handling. Already not happy with the way ammunition has begun rising. I remember being in High School and going to the store every Tuesday to buy a box of 9mm and going to the range and shooting it up. Did this week after week after week. Not so much anymore...

Diesel just jumped 26 cents last night, wasn't happy when I went to fill up. Diesel is now 3.75 where I'm at

ultradoc
February 25, 2011, 08:57 AM
The other day I heard the $5. a gallon for gas scenereo. This morning I heard the $10 gallon scenereo. Who knows when it will end. Will affect my shooting? Maybe a little.

SOUTHPAW
February 25, 2011, 09:22 AM
My plan is to stock up on a moderate amount of ammo in the next month or two (500-1000 rounds each of 9mm, .45acp, and 5.56, as these are my primary calibers) and just sit on it. I'll be ok with limited summer shooting, as I tend to spend more time on the bike than anything else...

heeler
February 25, 2011, 09:25 AM
It will affect literally everything.
America is fed,clothed,and delivered to by the trucking industry and since fuels prices are going up so will the price of everything delivered.
Of course some will scream hoarding but if you got some money to spare stock up on ammo before it gets out of hand like it did a couple of years ago.

M2 Carbine
February 25, 2011, 09:36 AM
The gas price in itself doesn't bother me too much but high gas prices effect everything. Even my trash pickup increases because of "fuel adjustment" costs. Too bad I can't pass on my increased fuel cost.:rolleyes:

I'm thinking about loading up on a lot of powder and primers before the prices increase again.

I'm lucky having home ranges so I don't have to think about driving some distance to shoot.

JoeMal
February 25, 2011, 09:41 AM
I just bought a new V8 truck...so my driving (and other hobbies) will be severely hampered if it gets this high.

david58
February 25, 2011, 10:23 AM
Shooting range is almost a 45 minute drive for me. It will definitely make me think twice to roll out there - a bit too far for a bike ride unless I want to spend all day (and only tote a handgun or two).

Bike commuting is in my future....then I can save enough $$$ to afford to drive to the range.

VT Deer Hunter
February 25, 2011, 10:27 AM
$100 a gal NO ONE would drive and would be a really bad scenario.

USAF_Vet
February 25, 2011, 10:31 AM
I just hope I've finished moving before the gas hike gets too out of hand. I filled up Wednesday and paid $3.35/ gallon. Right now I live 75 miles from work, and even driving a semi-economical 4 banger, I fill up three times a week. I'll be less than 40 miles from work after the move, so that will cut my fuel consumption in half. My favorite range is free one about 45 minutes from where I live now. I'll be a little closer after the move. I may cut back a little on my shooting, but I hope I won't need to.

Mustang02
February 25, 2011, 10:31 AM
$100 a gallon? I doubt anybody can afford a $1200 fill up each week.

It won't hurt me or my hobbies but everything will cost more. They are predicting $220 for a barrel of oil which will be around $7 a gallon.

mcdonl
February 25, 2011, 10:34 AM
I will start reloading my own fuel.

USAF_Vet
February 25, 2011, 10:44 AM

:D love it. I might looked into bio-diesel conversion, or a Mr. Fusion system for my time travelling DeLorean.

Blackrock
February 25, 2011, 10:47 AM
I WAS planninga road trip to Alaska this summer but that might not happen now. My range is 3 miles up the road, it's 25 miles to town for groceries. I am retired so I will stock up on food and shoot a lot. Got lot's of powder and bullets.

But three years ago gas was $3.89 here and I paid as high as $4.19 while on a long trip that summer.

XM855
February 25, 2011, 10:52 AM
Made my day.

shootingthebreeze
February 25, 2011, 10:52 AM
Motorcycle time!! And lots of gas savings.

wgp
February 25, 2011, 10:59 AM
Of course it will have an impact on everything, as about everything is affected in some manner by petroleum. Still, keep some perspective. Last time gas went from $3 to $4 my brother-in-law wondered whether we should still make our annual trip to the Colorado mountains to fish. I pointed out to him that it would take about 100 gallons of gas in my truck for the trip, and that meant an additional $100 for the trip so that he could use his $700 fly rod.

I have had ammo stores comment to me that the biggest worry re ammo prices is the run-up in most all commodity prices, especially copper.

Sky
February 25, 2011, 11:02 AM
Will be interesting in the next few years..Food prices and everything else will be affected! Probably not a bad Idea to stock up on non-perishable items only because they will cost more tomorrow.

Ben86
February 25, 2011, 11:06 AM
I shoot in my backyard so it won't really effect my shooting. Then again, I will be paying more for gas so I might have to offset some of the cost by shooting less.

I will definitely be doing the speed limit from now on to save gas.

If only we had a domestic oil supply! :rolleyes:

nosmr2
February 25, 2011, 11:06 AM
I will shoot less when they cost of gas increases. I can't cut down on food or bills, so something has to give. Checking the payoff on my Jeep right now to look into something more economical. Gas is running me $45 a week right now at $3/gallon.

Jon Coppenbarger
February 25, 2011, 11:07 AM
I really do not care how high it goes as it may make it a little tougher on us folks who plan on travelling but there is nothing I can do other than work with it.

But remember poor people who live off us that have a income do not deserve to drive on our dime anyways.

hso
February 25, 2011, 11:10 AM
UPS and FedEx are already planning for fuel price increases. Since a lot of what we use in shooting moves through these two carriers you can expect prices to increase as the transportation cost goes up just to deliver guns, accessories and supplies.
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/cost/zones/fuel_surcharge.html

ColtPythonElite
February 25, 2011, 11:38 AM
I doubt if it will affect my shooting activities...... Trading cars, buying a second vehicle or motorcyle usually doesn't add up to save money when you figure out the math.

Arkansas Paul
February 25, 2011, 11:41 AM
I think I've heard the $5 a gallon by summer line every year for the past 6-8 years or so. Hasn't happened yet. I understand that if eventually will, just based on inflation and such, but I don't expect it this year.
This is certainly not an educated opinion though. :)
Just observation over the past several years.

Vonderek
February 25, 2011, 11:48 AM
Big annual increases in health and homeowners insurance, property taxes going up in spite of cratering home values here in S. Fla, a new marriage, and the continual race to the bottom in my industry has already curtailed my shooting the past few years. $5.00/gallon gas will probably curtail eating more than shooting.:)

lobo9er
February 25, 2011, 11:55 AM
I think I've heard the $5 a gallon by summer line every year for the past 6-8 years or so. Hasn't happened yet.

I hope we are all prepared this time. www.Prisonplanet.com (www.Prisonplanet.com)

JohnD13
February 25, 2011, 11:57 AM
The range is three miles away and I try to go weekly. $5.00 gas won't change that by much.

au01st
February 25, 2011, 12:05 PM
I'm fortunate enough to have finished school and got a decent job that pays gas reimbursement for my travels. I get $.43 per mile from work and 25mpg in my V8 sedan when I behave with the pedal. Work is anywhere from 10mi to 65mi one way. Between routine maintenance (oil changes, filters, belts, etc) I come out ahead as long as gas is below $8 a gallon for me (10 year old Grand Marquis with under 100k and it's my "work vehicle" so it's all interstate driving and I don't worry about depreciation).

I don't suppose I'll cut back on shooting, but probably on going to the bar and eating out, which I've been needing to do anyways. I'm really most worried about my power bill skyrocketing. I already pay around $300/month and I'm out of ways to cut back there (really inefficient house that is hard to keep warm in the winter and cool in the summer).

tarosean
February 25, 2011, 12:08 PM
My range is my back yard.... However, Since my Suburban has a 52gallon tank and only gets around 9 miles per gallon. I wont be filling it up anytime soon and Ill be taking my lil commuter car everywhere 253,000 and still gets around 40mpg. My motorcycles cannot even save me money over the lil Nissan...

hogshead
February 25, 2011, 12:14 PM
The gas prices here jumped 20 cents a gallon from Wed to Thur.I am self employed and work has been as slow as I have ever seen it. Just had started bidding some jobs ,but I'm familiar with the gas increase with the work decrease theory.People just wont spend any nonessential money when they are afraid of skyrocketing gas prices.
Not to alarm anyone, But i thought I would get a case of 7.62 just in case. Good luck with that seems everybody is on backorder CTD does'nt even list it on website. Im off to WM to buy all the .22 on the shelves. hehe

Ben86
February 25, 2011, 12:24 PM
$5.00/gallon gas will probably curtail eating more than shooting.

It doesn't have to curtail quantity, just quality a bit. I love beanie weenie and ramen noodle meals. :D

au01st
February 25, 2011, 01:21 PM
It doesn't have to curtail quantity, just quality a bit. I love beanie weenie and ramen noodle meals.

Store brand macaroni @ $.60/box and $1/10 hot dogs, along with some milk and butter (which you have anyways), and you can have 5 meals for $5. I'm a big guy and a box of macaroni with 2 sauteed hot dogs cut up and mixed in will feed me just fine. I still eat that once a week or so.

Storz
February 25, 2011, 01:23 PM
My truck gets 14mpg and a I have boat with a big block, I am screwed :(

AZ Five seveN
February 25, 2011, 01:25 PM
I lived in Chicago in 2007... Besides the fact that Illinois sucks, gas prices got up to $4.75 in that terrible winter 2007/2008.

I would not like to see a repeat of that...

SOUTHPAW
February 25, 2011, 01:45 PM
I doubt if it will affect my shooting activities...... Trading cars, buying a second vehicle or motorcyle usually doesn't add up to save money when you figure out the math.

For me it adds up. My current daily driver, a 2000 Accord V6 averages 20mpg. I already own the bike, which gets 35mpg avg), and plan on an even trade for a smaller 4cyl like a Civic, etc., which should average at least 10mpg better. So it's costing me nothing to change, but I'll be increasing my fuel efficiency by 50%+...

speaksoftly
February 25, 2011, 01:45 PM
$5 a gallon is what they say to get you to rush to the gas pumps after they raise it to $3.50 a gallon. Don't be fooled. There's absurd amounts of oil surplus right now. They just know that if they predict $5 they can trick you into being grateful for $4.

The price of gas jumped $0.20 yesterday in my town and what happened? There was a line out to the street of people wanting to fill up their cars. We're being played...again. But they get away with it because no matter the price, most will still drive.

speaksoftly
February 25, 2011, 01:47 PM
P.S. My road bike has me in top notch physical shape and gets 1 billion miles to the gallon. Still, people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I occasionally bike the 3 mile commute to work. Heaven forbid that Americans would learn to get their heart rate up every now and then. Haha

PastTense
February 25, 2011, 01:48 PM
Here are some fuel saving tips:
On the Road: Drive More Efficiently

* Stay within posted speed limits. Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 miles per hour.
* Stop aggressive driving. You can improve your gas mileage up to five percent around town if you avoid “jackrabbit” starts and stops by anticipating traffic conditions and driving gently.
* Avoid unnecessary idling. It wastes fuel, costs you money, and pollutes the air. Turn off the engine if you anticipate a wait.
* Combine errands. Several short trips taken from a cold start can use twice as much fuel as one trip covering the same distance when the engine is warm.
* Use overdrive gears and cruise control when appropriate. They improve the fuel economy of your car when you’re driving on a highway.
* Remove excess weight from the trunk. An extra 100 pounds in the trunk can reduce a typical car’s fuel economy by up to two percent.
* Avoid packing items on top of your car. A loaded roof rack or carrier creates wind resistance and can decrease fuel economy by five percent.

At the Garage: Maintain Your Car

* Keep your engine tuned. Tuning your engine according to your owner’s manual can increase gas mileage by an average of four percent. Increases vary depending on a car’s condition.
* Keep your tires properly inflated and aligned. It can increase gas mileage up to three percent.
* Change your oil. According to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), you can improve your gas mileage by using the manufacturer’s recommended grade of motor oil. Motor oil that says “Energy Conserving” on the performance symbol of the American Petroleum Institute contains friction-reducing additives that can improve fuel economy.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt064.shtm

SOUTHPAW
February 25, 2011, 01:49 PM
The range is three miles away and I try to go weekly. $5.00 gas won't change that by much.

It's not the trip to and from the range that cuts funds from plinking, it's the extra $300 a week in gas from driving everywhere else!

KingContraryMan
February 25, 2011, 01:54 PM
Just sold my Caddy SLS 2 weeks ago, and am driving my little 34mpg compact. Every little bit helps.

KodiakBeer
February 25, 2011, 02:00 PM
Gas is $4.10 (regular) at the pumps here right now. You learn to live with it.

ants
February 25, 2011, 02:30 PM
If gas price go up, it forces me to buy more guns and ammo. Because if I'm going to spend more money on gas to get to the range, I'm sure as heck gonna make it pay off with a lot more shooting.
If gas prices go down, I can afford to buy more guns and ammo.
Not much downside when you look at it that way. :p

mgmorden
February 25, 2011, 02:38 PM
My truck gets 14mpg and a I have boat with a big block, I am screwed

Fuel price was my #1 reason for getting small motor on my boat. I was looking at some used bigger bass boats with 200-225hp's on them and thinking "I think I can swing the payment on this thing just fine.". Then I started looking into the fuel burn rate on them. I ended up buying an aluminum bass boat with a 40hp motor on it. A 12 gallon tank will take me fishing 6-7 times in that boat.

DoubleTapDrew
February 25, 2011, 02:39 PM
If only we had a domestic oil supply!

Maybe if the price gets high enough the screaming masses will pressure them to allow us to tap our domestic oil instead of buying from unstable middle eastern sheiks.
I hear the US has enough oil in the ground to supply the country for about 100 years. I seriously doubt in 100 years we will still be using petroleum to fuel vehicles so we might as well use it now. Get the gas down under $1 a gallon again.

8mmman
February 25, 2011, 02:43 PM
No one made us buy SUV's or BIG trucks. The wifle and I have been driving small cars and truck for 30 + years and we both get over 25 miles to a gallon avarage. $5 a gallon will slow us down but it will kill the the big truck and hot car market......

I have no empathy for the people who drive these gas hogs. That did it to themselfs.

BoilerUP
February 25, 2011, 02:48 PM
A couple days ago, the unrest in Libya had caused a 25% reduction in their oil output (400k barrels per day), which is only 1.5% of OPEC's total output.

To put that into perspective, the state of Texas puts out roughly 850k bpd and a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico requiring platform evacuations typically shutters 400k bpd of output.

The US Strategic Oil Reserve is FULL. The texas intermediate terminal in Cushing, OK is FULL. There is absolutely no shortage of oil to refineries for the production of gasoline/diesel/jet fuel/etc.

Oil prices are only because of FEAR, not any substantial disruption of supply on the global oil market.

The spike won't last beyond the summer...that is, if nobody starts shooting at Israel.

merlinfire
February 25, 2011, 03:12 PM
much ado about nothing.

the US has the largest strategic petrol reserve in the world, enough to replace 1/3 of our oil imports for 160 days if necessary.

now, will it eventually be $5 a gallon? yes. but not this year, not in my neck of the woods.

Shanghai McCoy
February 25, 2011, 03:18 PM
I have to drive 80 miles round trip daily for work. Any shift and any day...
If I get the chance to go some place for fun, like shooting or hunting, the price of gas won't be a factor...

HarcyPervin
February 25, 2011, 03:19 PM
8mmman, you really seem to forget about the people who drive these vehicles because they have to, whether climate or work dictate it...instead of telling everybody how great you are for driving the car that sits in the snow bank and waits for guys like me to pull em out, keep it to yourself, or yourselves not yourselfs

on the other side, people who drive v8's, whether for pleasure, work, or any other reason a free man should decide is a reason to buy one, should look at how to make their engines run the best...look at your intake and exhaust systems, most are not very effecient. also, especially diesel guys, look into programmers for your trucks, you'd be amazed how much you can save/gain depending on how you set those up

I drive a truck with a v8, gas prices are going to hurt, I guess I'll just have to work a little harder if I want to buy my new gun(s) this year. Maybe I'll cut back on the luxuries like going out for meals way too often or start drinking Keystone instead of Budweiser, but I'm motivated to increase my involvement in shooting sports, even if it takes away from other aspects in my life

DeepSouth
February 25, 2011, 03:26 PM
I'll be shooting a lot of 22lr.

Sky
February 25, 2011, 03:47 PM
There is a government report on oil reserves we have in the states. We have 7 times more oil than Saudi and 22 times more than Libya. Not widely publicised because it does not fit the agenda. A deal was made by Kissinger with the Mid-east oil producing nations back in the 80s that we would buy oil from them and they would buy/invest in our bonds and other things from us. We were not supposed to develop our oil reserves but buy from them. Strategically speaking it made sense. When everyone else is running out we start tapping our own reserves. The double cross comes when all the dollars they invested here are worthless in a worse case scenario. Our debt is 400 times GDP and with the printing of dollars it will not help the dollar's value. The problem is Russia signed a deal with China to supply their oil. U.S. dollars are not involved in the transaction. So the two countries we as a nation have been paranoid over the last several decades will get much stronger as we as a nation become weaker along with our European allies for lack of oil. Everything from medicine, fertilizers, you name it has petroleum as a base. Fox just had a news blurb about the possibility of Saudi going into a death spiral like other mid-east nations. The next two years are going to be very interesting for us as a nation and I just hope we come together and battle the problems together. I worry about the 40 million on food stamps not being able to eat....Look at the problems in Wis. over pay. If it starts over food then it will not be nice.

If things go as this:

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2008/10/thoughts-on-urban-survival-2005.html
then it will really not be nice!!!

avs11054
February 25, 2011, 03:55 PM
really...theyll let this thread continue but not the thread about the somali pirates from the other day?

Sky
February 25, 2011, 04:18 PM
hahaha the Somali Pirates do not affect the price of our ammo!

Justin
February 25, 2011, 05:18 PM
This one started off being not tremendously on topic, wobbled back and forth between on topic and off, and then finally went completely off the rails.

We can safely put a fork in this one, it's done.

If you enjoyed reading about "$5.00 A Gallon" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!