Welcome my new S&W Bodyguard 38

PDA

the count
February 25, 2011, 10:52 AM
Hi all, just got this baby the other day. It was between this one and the Ruger LCR. Essentially both are very very similar but the fact that the Smithie came with a built in laser was the deal maker.

http://megaplex.com/images/IMG_0958.jpg

http://megaplex.com/images/IMG_0959.jpg

Already took her to the range too. Even with +P the recoil isn't too bad. But for target practice I will just be using a medium hand-load which is not a problem at all. Gotta love the 38 SPL caliber, million ways you can combine bullets and powder. Shot like 40 rounds without any wrist pain. The only criticism is the fact that the front sight is way off. At 7 yards the impact is like 4-5 inches to the left of where it should be. Laser is great at 7-10 yards. It is not bright enough for anything further, even in a dim shooting range. 25 yards? impossible, can't see the dot no matter what. The gun is surprisingly light but even so, a small automatic like the Ruger LCP cannot be beat for size and weight.

If you enjoyed reading about "Welcome my new S&W Bodyguard 38" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
motorcycle-charlie
February 25, 2011, 10:59 AM
off 8 inches at 7 yards ??? !!! that doesnt sound very good. is this shooting from a rest or off hand?

the count
February 25, 2011, 11:17 AM
off 8 inches at 7 yards ??? !!! that doesnt sound very good. is this shooting from a rest or off hand?
probably not 8 inchess off, more like 4-5 but still. off a bench. at a combat range of 7 you really are not going to 'aim' anyway. probably not 8 inchess off, more like 5 but still. its point shooting... but still, wonder if the sight can be adjusted?

Tony_the_tiger
February 25, 2011, 11:20 AM
Try taking it out for another range session to see if its really that much off. Some of it may be the way you are shooting it... thats not criticism of you. I thought one of my revolvers was WAY off until I practiced with it again, really got to know the front site, and now it hits point of aim.

If its still way off, I'd have smith and wesson take a look at it.

-T

motorcycle-charlie
February 25, 2011, 11:31 AM
i agree with Tony the tiger, shoot it some more. it might be trigger controll issues. those can be worked out. i am a little off with my Ruger sp101. the gun is fine, i just need to practice more with it. i shoot my Smith 442 much better than the Ruger. different triggers and different ergonomics, but i have shot the 442 alot more. congrats on the nice gun. practice up, and good luck.

the count
February 25, 2011, 11:32 AM
Just found this interesting article..

"The problem is, all of the groups that I fired using the fixed, open sights were high and left. How high and left depended on how hot the ammo was."

BUT the laser works fine, the reason I got this one anyway. Better to practice point shooting with any handgun being used for protection in my opinion.

http://www.officer.com/web/online/On-the-Street/The-Other-New-SandW-Bodyguard/21$55429

mikerault
February 25, 2011, 12:06 PM
Do not, I repeat, do not let the laser get wet. If it gets wet immediately remove it from the gun and dry it and its batteries out. Don't wait, even a few hours of wet batteries may ruin them and the laser itself. The laser is not a sealed unit. It is just plastic snapped together with no seals anywhere.

If you enjoyed reading about "Welcome my new S&W Bodyguard 38" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!