Wyoming House Passes Constitutional Carry!

PDA

LawScholar
February 25, 2011, 06:16 PM
Hey all,

My gorgeous, gun-friendly state of Wyoming has passed the Jaggi-Jennings Constitutional Carry Bill by a wide margin, both House and Senate. It just needs to get signed by Governor Mead and we're the 4th Con-Carry state!

Sorry if this has been posted, but I couldn't find it in a search. :)

Great day to be a gun owner in WY.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wyoming House Passes Constitutional Carry!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
armoredman
February 25, 2011, 06:46 PM
Woo hoo!

tmknecht
February 25, 2011, 07:28 PM
So jealous, if only we could do this in Wisconsin. (A gun unfriendly state)

On Wisconsin, On Wisconsin, Fight on for her fame
Fight, Badgers, fight, fight, fight, we'll win this game.

(I understand this is not a game)

sonick808
February 26, 2011, 05:26 AM
Congratulations from AZ!

leadcounsel
February 26, 2011, 09:21 AM
So - a couple years ago Wyoming declared it would not honor other state CCW permits because of their misdemeanor drug use conviction exception. Was that repealed/changed or does it even matter now...

Can any lawful gun owner from out of state carry without a permit there or does it only apply to WY residents?

SJ1
February 26, 2011, 09:40 AM
Great news! Thanks very much for posting this.

GJgo
February 26, 2011, 11:02 AM
I was just coming to ask the same question as leadcounsel, so +1. I'd like to do some hunting in WY and of course would prefer to take a pistol with me.

Axel Larson
February 26, 2011, 11:21 AM
Thank you for letting us know the good news, you have made my day!. Serious this makes me happy, the more states join in on constitutional carry the more will follow.

ultradoc
February 26, 2011, 11:40 AM
Congrats to you Wyoming!!

mingo
February 26, 2011, 12:08 PM
Congrats to you fortunate folks in Wyoming! The Gov here said he would sign the CC permit sometime this year. That would be a start here in the right direction.
mingo

HoosierQ
February 26, 2011, 12:18 PM
So what does this mean? Does this make WY like Vermont where law abiding citizens can carry freely without a permit? I think Alaska is like that too. Who's the fourth?

HoosierQ
February 26, 2011, 12:21 PM
Mingo

I love Wisconsin...the kids live up there in Madision. It would be great to be able to take my gun up there.

I am in Indiana. We're pretty darned gun-friendly and every law abiding citizen can get a permit...but it is a permit nonetheless ("License to Carry and Handgun" to be precise).

Good luck Badger State on getting concealed carry.

HoosierQ

galena
February 26, 2011, 12:27 PM
Congrats to the Cowboy State. We are working on it in Colorado, just passed out of judicial committee; however, we have some antis here and I am not sure which way the new Governor will jump if it gets to him. Keep shootin'

LemmyCaution
February 26, 2011, 02:02 PM
Go Wyoming! Congratulations!

Standing Wolf
February 26, 2011, 02:21 PM
We are working on it in Colorado, just passed out of judicial committee; however, we have some antis here and I am not sure which way the new Governor will jump if it gets to him.

Sorry, galena, but here's your clue: he's a representative of the Democratic [sic] party with a long record of anti-Second Amendment bigotry. Denver wants to be the San Francisco of the Rocky Mountains.

kingpin008
February 26, 2011, 02:28 PM
Who's the fourth?

Wyoming is the 4th. In order, it's AK, VT, AZ & WY.

smallbore
February 26, 2011, 02:55 PM
Congrats to WY. There's been rumor/some talk about it here in NH.

kk0g
February 26, 2011, 03:51 PM

I think VT came before AK, but regardless this is awesome news!

harrygunner
February 26, 2011, 04:19 PM
Vermont, Alaska and Arizona are more about the human right the Constitution affirms.

Wyoming and South Carolina are different. They limit this right to residents only.

Iggy
February 26, 2011, 09:04 PM
Just hope the Gov will sign it.

Wyo will keep it's concealed carry law to enable those with permits to travel to other states that presently honor our CCW law.

The CCW also enables one to buy a gun without having to undergo a clearance check.

You got a license... Good.... Here's your gun.

Larry E
February 27, 2011, 12:05 AM
Congrats! The legislature in Montana is working on a Constitutional Carry bill, and the usual suspects are yowling like little girls getting their pigtails yanked - no offense to the ladies who frequent the forum btw.

RancidSumo
February 27, 2011, 02:01 AM
Link to the text of the bill? I am a WY resident attending college in CO but I go back all the time.

Nevermind, I found it. Unfortunately, the age requirement of 21 still stands. I was hoping it was dropped to 18. Oh well, baby steps and all that.

jbrown50
February 28, 2011, 07:16 PM
Vermont, Alaska and Arizona are more about the human right the Constitution affirms.

Wyoming and South Carolina are different. They limit this right to residents only.

harrygunner has it right.
I don't know why some people are calling the bills in Wyoming and South Carolina "Constitutional Carry". These are bills to allow "only law abiding residents of those states" to carry without a permit. Law abiding non-residents/visitors will still need a permit to carry. It's definitely a step forward but it's not Constitutional carry.

Vermont, Alaska and Arizona will still be the only states that respect the Second Amendment right of 'all' citizens.

cheygriz
February 28, 2011, 07:47 PM
It isn't "law" just yet, and we have a R.I.N.O. governor. Time will tell. :uhoh:

FC
February 28, 2011, 07:55 PM
It's great to see states affirming the Constitution.

Mainsail
February 28, 2011, 08:01 PM
Right now it looks like it applies ONLY to residents of the state and nonresidents who have a permit/license in a state with reciprocity. That may get stripped out when they reconcile it between the houses. Here's the text: http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2011/bills/SF0047.pdf

harrygunner
February 28, 2011, 08:04 PM
Don't want the term to become diluted.

A line has to be drawn somewhere. For example, in California, anyone can carry concealed within their own home. :barf: :what: :eek: That's probably below the line. :)

Even though I have permits to carry in Wyoming or Arizona, it felt good, somehow better, on my last trip to Arizona knowing my human right was well respected.

Beside, it's Wyoming! I hold them to a higher standard. That state should be able to match Arizona and Alaska.

However, please understand, I'm glad Wyoming moved in the direction all states should move in.

cheygriz
March 1, 2011, 02:21 PM
harrygunner,

The Wyoming legislature always takes many years to get anythng done. :p

But that's not necessarily a bad thing! Sure, it makes it difficult to pass good bills, but it also has stopped a helluva lot of bad bills! :D:D

Sometimes I wish the U.S. Congress was as slow and deliberate getting things done as the Wyoming legislature. :)

LemmyCaution
March 1, 2011, 02:37 PM

I think VT came before AK, but regardless this is awesome news!

Actually, Constitutional carry in VT predates the US Bill of Rights by about 11 years (1777). Alaska became a state in, what- 1959?

gamestalker
March 1, 2011, 04:08 PM
Arizona is CC as of July 29th, 2010 and congrats to ya all!!!! We are getting there as a nation and can't give up the good fight. So what is it now, Alaska, Arizona, Wyoming, and Vermont? Is that correct?

K-Rod
March 1, 2011, 05:17 PM
Congrats!! Hopefully we will be able to add Idaho to that list as well. It got introduced here in Idaho last Monday!!

xfyrfiter
March 1, 2011, 06:43 PM
Yea!! now all we need is 46 more if the Gov of Wy signs.

Iggy
March 1, 2011, 07:50 PM
Rancid Sumo,

I don't have a link, but all it does is amend the present CCW law to allow those who meet the quals listed in the present bill to carry.

In other words, you need to be qualified to obtain a permit to carry, but don't have to pay the fee, nor can you carry in other states that recognize Wyoming's CC permit.

AB
March 7, 2011, 10:41 PM
While I do understand the thoughts on WY not being true constitutional carry because of the resident requirement. I would argue that WY's law does not have an inform and disarm clause like AK and AZ does. I believe our starting point is a better place to be.:)

wyofool
March 8, 2011, 12:15 AM
It's been signed and goes into effect 1 July.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Wyoming House Passes Constitutional Carry!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!