This makes me angry.

PDA

Unknown777
February 25, 2011, 06:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQN1u_aPgcM&feature=related

It's a video describing "assault weapons" they showed this video in my school today, it really made me mad. Afterwards they gave the class a quiz on if "assault weapons" should be banned, and everyone said yes. Except for 1 person. Guess who?

If you enjoyed reading about "This makes me angry." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CoRoMo
February 25, 2011, 06:21 PM
I'm with ya. Posting blind links, with no explanation of what might be on the other side, really irritate me too.

Care to give us some more info? A lot of us might be at work or have little kids in the room and we'd like to know what we're about to put on the screen.

Unknown777
February 25, 2011, 06:23 PM
Sorry dude...What I meant to write was that they showed this video in my school today, it really made me mad. Afterwards they gave the class a quiz on if "assault weapons" should be banned, and everyone said yes. Except for 1 person. Guess who?

W L Johnson
February 25, 2011, 06:23 PM
Link works for me.

BENBRU
February 25, 2011, 06:24 PM
Hahaha... oh dear. The problem with this is people will believe her. I love how commenting has been disabled on the youtube video. "Spray fire" hahaha...

I'm not sure much can be said about this video besides she is flat out lying.

TexasRifleman
February 25, 2011, 06:24 PM
Welcome to THR.

Couple of things. Links with no explanation of what they lead to is a bad idea. Folks don't want to click on a link that may take them somewhere inappropriate.

So, tell people what the video does. In this case, it's a very old video of some anti describing what "assault weapons" are and she does it poorly and based on the usual ignorance we have seen for years.

Also, this is a "discussion forum", the point being to have a discussion. So, if you post a link to a video that makes you mad, start the discussion off with more than just "this makes me mad".

earlthegoat2
February 25, 2011, 06:26 PM
This is so misinformed I am reminded of this one.

Shadow 7D
February 25, 2011, 06:26 PM
LOL CoRoMo

Just turn in a cited and resourced paper explaining detail by detail WHY the lady is wrong, and then if the teacher has an issue with it, you and your parents just give her a nice call asking about the QUALITY OF INSTRUCTION since she is using SUCH POOR sources of material.

kingpin008
February 25, 2011, 06:27 PM
Welcome to THR. In the future, we'd appreciate it if you post at least a sentence worth of actual text along with a link to a video or website. Simply posting a link is considered quite rude, and will often end up with nobody clicking it, because we don't know what it leads to.

Also, we appreciate discussion here. It's not enough to say "This pisses me off!" and disappearing. Tell us why. Help form a plan to change whatever it is. Otherwise, what's the point of posting at all?

*EDIT* And of course, Texas beat me to it. Oh well, it bears repeating. :)

mustang_steve
February 25, 2011, 06:29 PM
The part where ratings and comments are disabled just shows the person that posted that is scared of the incoming comments/downrates.

Just another drive-by video posting by more scared liberals. I think if they stopped fearing things so much, they'd be happier people.

Patriotme
February 25, 2011, 06:31 PM
They showed this in your class?
This reminds me of a story my daughter told me a few years ago. Her teacher asked the class if they were pro gun or anti gun. She said that pro gun supporters believe that everyone should be able to own a firearm.
My daughter who was young at that time had been shooting for years and listening to me complain about anti gunners for even younger. When asked by my daughter about kids, felons and crazies owning guns the teacher said that the pro gun side doesn't believe in any restrictions and even believe that criminals should be able to own guns. Of course this is wrong and even an elementary school aged child knew this. Most of the class went along with the teacher of course but I was very proud that my daughter did not.
The same week the class had a police officer come in and talk about guns. He told the students that no one has a right to own a gun and was literally shouted down by the children of hunters. His feelings were apparently hurt and the teacher was embarrassed.
What a shame for them.

CoRoMo
February 25, 2011, 06:32 PM
Okay, watched the vid, that was painful. What a bunch of garbage, and yes, comments were disabled which is standard operating procedure for the antis. They can't afford to be challenged, otherwise they are easily marginalized. Typical.
...they showed this video in my school today... Afterwards they gave the class a quiz on if "assault weapons" should be banned, and everyone said yes. Except for 1 person. Guess who?
That is an absolute abuse of power in my opinion. Good for you for not drinking the coolaid. Wisdom, you have.

Nushif
February 25, 2011, 06:36 PM
Funny enough, there's a russian rifle on there, but I didn't see an american one. It's like the AR platform is immune!

TexasKid
February 25, 2011, 06:39 PM
Thats ridiculous. What kind of class was this in?

armoredman
February 25, 2011, 06:40 PM
I watched about 30 seconds, 29 too long. What a load of (censored).

Gouranga
February 25, 2011, 06:41 PM
Made it through about 10 seconds. Total BS. And she knows it. That is why she deactivated comments and votes on her pile of lies.

Whatever school you go to, if they showed this to my kid I would be at school talking the principle the next day. I would also go to the board. I do not hope to expect anything resembling non-PC garbage from the school but I DO absolutely expect accuracy. She was nowhere near accuracy. So the school was teaching BS.

I would easily counter the principal with the LEGAL definition of assault rifle as defined by the NC GS and the ATF. I would then offer to take him on a journey through the background of the development of every "assault" rifle the US Armed Forces has ever put out a request for. Yeah suppressive fire is an important thing. However they do not put shoulder stocks on M-16's so our soldiers can hold them at their waist and spray lead all over the battlefield.

Thanks a lot man, now you done got me ticked off. lol.

DammitBoy
February 25, 2011, 06:47 PM
What makes me angry is she had 129 other videos spouting nothing but lies.

browneu
February 25, 2011, 06:53 PM
Yep, it is clearly incorrect and people will sadly believe her. I thought the background poster was bad too.

ultradoc
February 25, 2011, 08:10 PM
What a bunch of bull. I bet she wants all guns banned.

CoastieShep
February 25, 2011, 09:04 PM
I turned it off when she said "spray fired from the hip".

Tim the student
February 25, 2011, 09:07 PM
I watched maybe 15 seconds of it. I like how she defines an assault weapon as one "that is designed to be spray fired from the hip".:rolleyes:

WTH school system shows stuff like that?

ETA: That woman (Jackie Kuhls) is, or was, the executive director of New Yorkers Against Gun Violence.

Old krow
February 25, 2011, 09:14 PM
There was a thread a little while ago where a guy explain "assault" as behavior and compared guns to pens in a conversation. Anybody else remember that one? Anyway, I think that it might be appropriate to start making Youtube videos on some random object and why it should be banned.

Cal-gun Fan
February 25, 2011, 09:20 PM
There was a thread a little while ago where a guy explain "assault" as behavior and compared guns to pens in a conversation. Anybody else remember that one? Anyway, I think that it might be appropriate to start making Youtube videos on some random object and why it should be banned.
Sporks are incredibly dangerous, you know.

dmancornell
February 25, 2011, 09:21 PM
They quizzed you on a propaganda video you viewed the same day? Whatever happened to testing on actual academic material?

More proof public schools are nothing more than 12 year prison sentences with bonus brainwashing.

Unknown777
February 25, 2011, 09:32 PM
They quizzed you on a propaganda video you viewed the same day? Whatever happened to testing on actual academic material?

More proof public schools are nothing more than 12 year prison sentences with bonus brainwashing.
Actually, it's private school.

hirundo82
February 25, 2011, 09:35 PM
Actually, it's private school.

Good. That makes it easier to get the teacher fired.

dmancornell
February 25, 2011, 09:43 PM
Good. That makes it easier to get the teacher fired.

+9000

FIVETWOSEVEN
February 25, 2011, 09:45 PM
I go to a private school myself, but my school is the complete opposite, we even have a rifle team.

Shadow 7D
February 26, 2011, 12:27 AM
Yeah, if it's a private school, you should be in the office monday and have her infront of the school board

HOOfan_1
February 26, 2011, 12:40 AM
All the gun "facts" you handle taught by people who know nothing about guns.

The course after this is going to be "How to Win Friends and Be Adored 207" taught by Professor Joseph Stalin.

BENBRU
February 26, 2011, 12:46 AM
Go after her first thing monday. Get your parents involved. Get her in front of the school board, or trustees, whatever your school has. I don't even see how this could be relevant to what needs to be taught in schools.... What subject was this? Did you say anything, speak up at all?

What school is this? I know a group of people(THR'ers) that would be willing to fill the email inbox of said teacher/principal/whoever has an email address at that school. Give us the teacher's name, give us the school's name...

ol' scratch
February 26, 2011, 12:59 AM
I am a teacher in middle school and had an assignment where students picked a political point of view to write a persuasive paper. I had one person who thought guns should be banned and another person who was pro gun. They both wrote papers and had discussions. I made it a point not to give my personal views in class because that creates bias. Both sides presented compelling arguments, but the pro gun side was more compelling.

All in all the assignment was a success. Everyone learned something. I did have students ask me my personal beliefs on the subject AFTER the assignment and I told them I am pro gun.

Teachers need to keep their bias out of the classroom ON BOTH SIDES of the issue. The teacher in the OP's original post should have showed the other side of the argument and instead of a quiz, had a meaningful writing assignment, complete with a writing prompt for both arguments.

It sounds to me like the teacher is not an effective educator. Sorry OP, you are going to have that. Find the flaw in the lesson and move on. Your teacher does not have the right to try and sway class opinion.

earlthegoat2
February 26, 2011, 01:01 AM
Designed for trench warfare??

Gato MontÚs
February 26, 2011, 02:33 AM
Hey I've seen that video before! In fact, I use her videos to drive the point home to my more liberal friends as to why the anti gun crowd can't be trusted; because they're IDIOTS, NIMRODS, MORONS, take your pick! Anyone with a decent head on their shoulders, liberal or conservative, should be insulted by the blatant ignorance and stupidity of that video.

Spray from the hip?
Trench warfare????
Specifically designed to go through doors?????????

Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb!

Seriously, I've turned fence sitters into pro gunners using videos like these, they're that laughable!

Apuuli
February 26, 2011, 02:45 AM
...why the anti gun crowd can't be trusted; because they're... NIMRODS...!

I would think most hunters are pro-gun... :D

CharlesT
February 26, 2011, 04:22 AM
Wow, here is another of her videos....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeE9ZoKyBh8&feature=related

Tim the student
February 26, 2011, 04:26 AM
Yeah, she's a peach alright.

Gato MontÚs
February 26, 2011, 05:29 AM
Um, ah, high capacity, um, can be, well, it's standard for six, hunters use six bullet rounds, so, um, capacity, banana clip expression...:banghead:

I love it.

I would think most hunters are pro-gun...

HA, you'd be surprised.:eek:

Skyshot
February 26, 2011, 09:01 AM
After watching the video, I feel much better about my AR-15, it couldn't be an assualt weapon because it doesn't spray rounds, it just drives nails:evil:

lot21
February 26, 2011, 10:14 AM
Wow! I'm speechless after watching 45 seconds of that video. I had to turn it off.
Stand your ground my friend.

hso
February 26, 2011, 11:05 AM
That video is so full of technical and historic errors that the selection of it constitutes malfeasance on the part of the person in control of the curriculum. It should be pointed out to the administration that the video contains errors and outright falsehoods and that a better video should be found and that a balanced discussion of the topic instead of a biassed propaganda effort.

Gouranga
February 26, 2011, 11:14 AM
That video is so full of technical and historic errors that the selection of it constitutes malfeasance on the part of the person in control of the curriculum. It should be pointed out to the administration that the video contains errors and outright falsehoods and that a better video should be found and that a balanced discussion of the topic instead of a biassed propaganda effort.

x2.

1. "Machine guns" were made (not really made for the first time but made better) for trench warfare to counter the human wave attacks across the no-mans land between trenches.

2. Assault rifles were NOT made to shoot from the hip. They have stocks for a reason and it is not so the soldiers could rest them on their pelvis while blindly shooting.

3. ALL guns shoot through doors. My 22 shoots though doors. My .40 shoots through doors.

That you are PAYING for private school and getting substandard service with misinformation and flat out historically inaccurate info is unacceptable. I would take SERIOUS offense. I would demand they reteach that entire video and point out the inaccuracies step by step. I took me 20 minutes to get through it when I did that with my kids.

Axel Larson
February 26, 2011, 11:31 AM
As some have pointed out here anti gun people are getting desperate. We are wining the battle and they know it. Just today a THR member posted about how Wyoming is joining constitutional carry. If only these people actually tried to shoot at a target from the hip they would understand that it does not work. :banghead::banghead: I am going to CCV and I find the same misinformation that gets thrown around. One person was telling me that you could not carry canceled in Vermont:banghead:. I corrected her I explained that it lower crime. Anyways good luck with talking to your teacher.

merlinfire
February 26, 2011, 11:42 AM
"designed to be spray fired from the hip"?

really?

just goes to show you that if you want to shape the discussion, using completely biased educational materials is a good way to start

hammerklavier
February 26, 2011, 11:46 AM
Instead of grousing about it, maybe someone should make an intelligent Gun Facts 101 series (that's right, use the same title, some of the same topics) instead of the usual "Here's a video of me shooting," "here's a gun review"

pikid89
February 26, 2011, 01:06 PM
compare the leaders of 2 gun lobbies
this lady, er um well uh um this is a um uh
and
wayne lapierre of the NRA...he is one of the best public speakers ive seen, in a debate he could shut this lady down in seconds

Blackbeard
February 26, 2011, 02:05 PM
I hope it was a class about how easy it is to sway people with lies and misinformation.

Nushif
February 27, 2011, 11:52 AM
I don't even see how this could be relevant to what needs to be taught in schools.... What subject was this?

That might be your most important argument right along the one that says she shouldn't sway the opinions of her students with unfounded data.

Sadly claiming a strong "Anti gun" sentiment as a contesting point would probably prove largely ineffective, as we all know.

However, if you frame your argument against her by two things:
1. Asking a question that is way beyond leading to a group of children.
2. Fielding an argument that is neither rational nor accurate.
... you might stand a good chance at getting her at least slapped on the wrist. The big trick might be to not make it as overt that you're complaining because she threw around bad Anti propaganda, but rather about her academic behavior.

Has anything come of this yet?

Shooter James
February 27, 2011, 04:34 PM
Hey People! I live here in Illinois, the most anti-gun rules on the Planet. These leftist Idiots promote this kind of garbage all the time. While the laws are not working, all the Criminals in Illinois have all kinds of weapons. The laws are mute to them. Mean while We have to fight hard for Our Legal and Law abiding rights to have and enjoy are hobby. If only our politicans would live and act by the 2nd Amendment We as a Nation would have LESS CRIME. Sorry for the rant. It makes me angry too to listen to such non-sense.

awgrizzly
February 27, 2011, 05:50 PM
This woman is either very ignorant or is intentionally spreading lies. In either case, showing this in school (unless done as an example of propaganda) is indoctrination of the worse kind. This should be brought before the school board, PTA, or whatever school authorities so that teacher can be held accountable. It's this sort of thing that makes it impossible for me to sympathize with the Wisconsin teachers. Bad teachers should be fired.

Unknown777
February 27, 2011, 08:04 PM
Yeah, if it's a private school, you should be in the office monday and have her infront of the school board
Well, the issue is it's a Catholic private school in California.

Gato MontÚs
February 27, 2011, 08:38 PM
Typical catholic school for ya. I remember in 8th grade our biology teacher told us that she firmly believed that the Loch Ness monster was real, proceeded to show us a presentation as to why the Loch Ness monster was real, then QUIZZED us on that information!

NMGonzo
February 27, 2011, 09:16 PM
My mosin is more deadly than an AR ... and no one wants to ban it.

You can poke an eye out.

Gouranga
February 28, 2011, 03:44 PM
This woman is either very ignorant or is intentionally spreading lies. In either case, showing this in school (unless done as an example of propaganda) is indoctrination of the worse kind. This should be brought before the school board, PTA, or whatever school authorities so that teacher can be held accountable. It's this sort of thing that makes it impossible for me to sympathize with the Wisconsin teachers. Bad teachers should be fired.

Based on her body language and tone, I think it is lies. I believe she knows she is exaggerating and flat out inventing crap to push a point.

MattTheHat
February 28, 2011, 03:53 PM
I'd ask for equal time to address the misconceptions and outright lies presented in the video.

-Matt

mhphoto
February 28, 2011, 04:06 PM
I love the youtube channels that belong to the gun ban organizations.

Notice that you can't rate the video, comment on the video, or comment on the channel. The Brady Bunch's channel is the same.

Of course, I don't think the NRA channel allows it either.

browneu
February 28, 2011, 08:44 PM
Here is a link to their website. It's worth going to look at the pictures they have posted of high capacity magazines. The 100 round Glock and AK magazines are laughable and look extremely doctored.

http://www.nyagv.org/

Carter
February 28, 2011, 09:50 PM
That womans videos are filled with historical and factual inaccuracies, actually most of them are flat out lies.
My schooling was pretty balanced. We generally got to debate everything and were never shown videos like that...unless we were looking at examples of nazi propoganda. It was a public school. Even a near communist college prof. let us debate things and didn't force his opinion on us.

I'd write a letter to the principal and school board...or w/e your private school has. A letter to an NRA might even help. You never know what could light a fire under someones butt.

XxWINxX94
February 28, 2011, 10:41 PM
I watched and almost :barf:'ed.
So much wrong with it that it is hard to take serious. I sent that youtube channel a message saying that I could describe and correct every error in that video, but as expected, I got no response.

dec41971
March 1, 2011, 03:22 AM
And my bet is this "expert", she's never shot a gun in her life, knows ZILCH about fire-arms. :neener:

Spray fire Lol; The gun does not spray. The person shooting the gun sprays. Stupid as stupid does.

Nushif
March 1, 2011, 12:50 PM
There's been a lot of calls to bring this up with the school board. Has it been done yet? Any success?

Justin
March 1, 2011, 02:21 PM
Here is a link to their website. It's worth going to look at the pictures they have posted of high capacity magazines. The 100 round Glock and AK magazines are laughable and look extremely doctored.

Both of those items are real.

Dr_B
March 1, 2011, 02:55 PM
Why was a Catholic school teacher speaking to students about guns in the first place? How does that fit into math, science, reading, spelling, and stuff like that?

Vapor63
March 1, 2011, 03:32 PM
Who knew assault rifles had the unique ability to shoot through doors!

Gouranga
March 1, 2011, 03:57 PM

Except they make no mention of magazines....all they got are clips, lol.

100 round drum on a glock!? What does that thing weigh fully loaded? You'd be able to use it to do curls, lol

browneu
March 1, 2011, 05:19 PM
Both of those items are real.

Wow, my apologies. They looked so impractical that they looked contrived to me.

It further strengthens the argument against a magazine ban because I guarantee you that I'm more proficient with 10 ten capacity Glock magazines than that 100 round drum.

That with the gun must weigh about 10 pounds loaded.

Justin
March 1, 2011, 05:30 PM
Agreed, the Glock soup can magazine is certainly an example of excess taken to the point of ridiculousness.

The extended AK magazine is, as well, and by all reports, that style of AK magazine has a notably poor effect on the functionality of the rifle.

geekWithA.45
March 1, 2011, 05:39 PM
Query: Were taxpayer dollars spent on presenting this act of misinformation and propaganda? What grade level?

average_shooter
March 1, 2011, 05:42 PM
Regarding the issue of comments and whatnot being disabled on her videos:

You can still down-rate ("thumbs down") them and flag them as inappropriate.

Edit: Ok, so apparently you can't rate all of them. But the one most recently linked above about the magazines you can.

If you enjoyed reading about "This makes me angry." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!