Somehow they know

PDA

420Stainless
February 25, 2011, 11:13 PM
I'm broke due to medical bills (I'm grateful to be all fixed up now) and go into one of my favorite haunts just to waste time. Normally, something I like in the way of used revolvers comes through every few months to tempt me.

This time I go in with nothing to spend and laid out on the top shelf are: 4" 66-2, 4" nickel 586, 6" Model 17 (not sure of the dash), 6" King Cobra, and a Model 15. All in excellent shape, none are bargain priced, but well worth what's being asked. Its been over 40 years since I last cried, but I came close yesterday.

If you enjoyed reading about "Somehow they know" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Snobal
February 25, 2011, 11:35 PM
I truly feel your pain.:banghead:

Was at my favorite gun store a couple of days ago, and found a 4", 66-1, frightened, cold, lonely, abused, dirty, missing the trigger stop, ugly Hogue grips, no box --- no nothing, timing fair, B/C gap big enough to throw a dog through. But "WOW" is that one slick shooting revolver.:D

Did I mention it was overpriced?

Anyway, despite being "broke," I talked my Sweetheart into letting me bring it home. Some day I may dig myself out of the hole I'm in due to finding all these wonderful old S&W revolvers.:eek:

Since I found a 6" 66 (no dash), I've been wanting a 4" to go with it because the 6" Model 66 is one of the best revolvers I've ever owned, and one of the most accurate. Used the 6" 66 in our Bullseye match last week and got 17 "X's" (out of 30 shots) on the National Match Course. WOW! I may never do that again, but it sure brightened up my day!:cool:

Anyway, I truly do understand what it is like to find these wonderful old guns and not be able to give each of them a good "retirement home."

JMHO - YRMV

Radagast
February 25, 2011, 11:56 PM
I'm at the point of selling most of my toys as I'm off work with a broken back (slowly healing) but I'll probably share your misery when I am back on my feet and all spare earnings have go to rebuilding my savings.
There is always lay-away.

420Stainless
February 26, 2011, 09:12 AM
There is always lay-away.

Yeah - I thought hard about that. I don't see much relief in sight with the gas prices rising though. Don't want to put my family in more of a bind later. Last night I dreamed about a 66-2 on my right hip with a King Cobra in cross draw.:uhoh:

Sorry to hear about your back troubles. In a way that's more troublesome than mine; I'll put in some prayers for your recovery. I had coronary bypass surgery. Now I feel as good as middle age will allow, have my blood pressure under control, and have lost most of the weight my doctor has advised me to do. Should be good for another 20 or 30 years if all else stays well. Paid the price for years of neglect - now I gotta pay my share of the bills.

Hondo 60
February 26, 2011, 05:57 PM
420Stainless - sounds like you could use some prayers too.

Gettin old sucks, but it beats the alternative.
I'm lookin forward to meeting Jesus, just not today :D

Wes B
February 26, 2011, 06:53 PM
I feel for ya, and I get it. We, my family and I, went through this for about a year. Dead broke, just trying to make ends meet, and get caught up.

And, everytime, well almost, I walked into a gunstore or looked online; one of my must haves was there.

Now, we got caught up and I have some $$ to spend. Not a darn tootin thing that I want is for sale.

jhngardner367
February 26, 2011, 10:09 PM
I know well how hard the times are!As a self-employed small engine mechanic,Itravel as much as 55 miles(radius),just to keep the business going! Here,in Michigan,the gas just jumped to $3.49 a gal.,and it really effects my income.I had my eye on a nice Barretta,in 9mm.,but I had to choose between that,and my wife's meds. One thing really bothers me, though.Why is it ,if a bird farts in the Middle East,we allow ourselves to take the hit,at the gaspump??Maybe we should try to enact legislation to keep our lawmakers from having stock in the oil industry(pipedream,I know).

jiminhobesound
February 26, 2011, 10:39 PM
Yeah I am in pain because I got laid off and I have to go to the pawn shop on Monday and try to get a too small amount of money for most of my guns. This is the second time I had toe sell my guns. The first time I sold twenty thousand dollars worth of guns for two thousand dollars. Great Pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oneounceload
February 26, 2011, 11:30 PM
This time I go in with nothing to spend and laid out on the top shelf are: 4" 66-2, 4" nickel 586, 6" Model 17 (not sure of the dash), 6" King Cobra, and a Model 15. All in excellent shape, none are bargain priced, but well worth what's being asked. Its been over 40 years since I last cried, but I came close yesterday.

At least you can see, touch, and drool over them in person - they're not even around here, let alone cheap

ArchAngelCD
February 27, 2011, 05:00 AM
I feel your pain 420Stainless. I always say, so many toy yet so little money!

rdrancher
February 27, 2011, 02:02 PM
I too feel your pain. I'm a contractor and am now taking jobs up to 75 mi away! I was finally forced to sell off all of the revolvers I don't "need" to support my family during these tough economic times and rising fuel prices. (I haven't owned any semi autos in years.) There have been quite a few revolver deals out there that I've had to pass up too. Things will pick up, but it sure makes you dream of better days!

NMGonzo
February 27, 2011, 02:44 PM
the 3 inch S&w 29 was taunting me many a time

If you enjoyed reading about "Somehow they know" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!