Ruger BlackHawk Help!


February 26, 2011, 10:00 PM
I dropped by Blackhawk. My favorite gun! My trigger guard broke and I bent my front sight.

Oh, someone PLEASE help! Where can I buy a new triggerguard/handleframe?

1970-71 Ruger .357 Old Style Blackhawk.

Yours in tears!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger BlackHawk Help!" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
Old Fuff
February 26, 2011, 11:11 PM
Call Ruger's Customer Service Department. They should have replacement parts. Since you dropped the gun you'll have to pay because it isn't a warrantee repair. However your favorite can be fixed. ;)

February 27, 2011, 12:38 AM
Box it up and send it to Ruger.

February 27, 2011, 12:42 AM
This is true even though it is a 40 year old gun?

I just checked and I'll have to call them on Monday.

February 27, 2011, 02:38 AM
Careful here - I understand that Ruger policy is to modify all older models
sent in for repair by fitting transfer bars. You may not be too happy with this when you get it back.

February 27, 2011, 08:46 AM
Go to and ask.

February 27, 2011, 09:19 AM
Yup, as it's an OM, it WILL get the transfer bar conversion if you send it in. Also not a guarantee they have OM parts either so even if they don't and it's sent in, you'll still get the conversion.
That said, being an OM, the grip frame isn't a super common find but they're out there but will cost you. Do a WTB on and you'll probably find something.

February 27, 2011, 09:47 AM
Ruger service is outstanding, and they should return all removed/replaced parts with the revolver, so that you can return it to its OM status, should you choose.


February 27, 2011, 09:59 AM
dont send it to Ruger unless you want it converted. otherwise take it to a good gunsmith and have it repaired.

451 Detonics
February 27, 2011, 10:01 AM
Brownells, Power Custom, aware they all will require fitting most likely. You can also find them on gunbroker occasionally.

You might consider this to be a chance to fancy it up as well.

February 27, 2011, 10:33 AM
These are really nice pistols.I have the "New Blackhawk".I would think you
can order parts for it from Ruger.I'd find a "reputable gunsmith" however to
fix that front sight.Hard to say if your sight is like mine,but I "cannot" tell how
mine is connected to the barrel.That's not a good sign if you go to
trying to bend it back into place yourself.

February 27, 2011, 11:41 AM
Ruger WILL DEFINITELY convert it to the crappy transfer bar mechanism and there is NO guarantee that they will return the original parts. I HIGHLY recommend you maintain the original lockwork. The New Model lockwork is heavy, creepy and usually gritty. The conversion lockwork is much worse. You have two options. Remove the parts that Ruger will replace and send it to Ruger. This will be the cheapest route. They will probably completely refurbish the sixgun and do so for relatively cheap. Or, you could find a replacement grip frame, they are plentiful. Put up a "Want to Buy" ad on RugerForum or get a replacement from Brownells. Replace it yourself. The front sight will require some help from a gunsmith who can either remove and replace the whole thing (which will require refinishing) or cut off the blade, mill a pocket in the base and fit it with a pinned blade.

You cannot order parts for an unconverted Old Model direct from Ruger.

February 27, 2011, 06:06 PM
If you send it to Ruger you may get the equivalent of a new gun back and only be charged for the broken parts. They will do the conversion but should sent the old parts back. It'll be a better gun and with the old parts won't suffer greatly in value. Ruger won't send the gun back unless it is in tip top condition. They are good.

February 27, 2011, 06:54 PM
From the Ruger website regarding the conversion:

"and we will return your original
parts for collector’s purposes."


February 27, 2011, 08:01 PM
There have been plenty of reports that Ruger has NOT returned the old parts. It is their prerogative and I guarantee you if they have any inkling that the parts are worn or unsafe in any way, they will scrap them. We're not making this stuff up. :rolleyes:

February 27, 2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks, Craig.

February 27, 2011, 08:30 PM
If you don't want to take a chance that any "worn or unsafe" parts are not returned to you, buy a replacement grip frame on your own dime.

If you want Ruger to fix it, they may or may not return your old parts, but they will probably do it on their dime.

1911 Nut
February 27, 2011, 11:34 PM
You dropped a Ruger Blackhawk and broke the trigger guard? Where did you drop it from . . . . the top of the Sears Tower??!!

February 28, 2011, 01:21 AM
I keep my stuff in the attic over the garage and dropped it onto the concrete below.

Very traumatic...

I'm having a friend look at it Tues and I'm going to try to buy one off the Ruger forum, I'm sufficiently scared now to send it to Ruger and get a transfer bar.

I can't tell you guys how thankful I am for your help.


If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger BlackHawk Help!" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!