How does non-FFL ship gun from New Jersey?

PDA

bushmaster1313
February 27, 2011, 12:27 AM
I think New Jersey law does not provide for transporting a handgun from the home to a shipper.

If you enjoyed reading about "How does non-FFL ship gun from New Jersey?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tom488
February 27, 2011, 05:35 PM
Technically, you're right - but only for handguns. Assuming one has an NJ FID card, they can generally possess an unloaded rifle or shotgun. For a handgun, if I were shipping it back to a manufacturer, I'd have them issue a call tag, and let UPS or FedEx pick it up from me.

Barring that, I'd arrange for my FFL to ship it for me, then I'd transport it there... there's an exception for transporting a firearm to a place of repair.

bushmaster1313
February 28, 2011, 11:16 PM
Barring that, I'd arrange for my FFL to ship it for me, then I'd transport it there... there's an exception for transporting a firearm to a place of repair.

For handgun I think this is the way to go.

raz-0
March 1, 2011, 03:52 PM
Or you go and ship it form the main customer counter at a hub.

I dare you to find someone having a problem with it. As long as you are compliant with the manner you store it during transport, anything else is a REALLY hard case to make with the whole "most direct route thing."

I know my UPS counter guy deals with it regularly enough.

*shrug*

hirundo82
March 1, 2011, 04:12 PM
Where do you need to ship it? If it is to an FFL (eg the manufacturer) it would work fine for it to go FFL-to-FFL, but if you want to ship to yourself an FFL can't ship to a nonlicensee in another state any more than you can (with few exceptions).

Sam1911
March 1, 2011, 05:00 PM
hirundo, I think you missed his point. He's concerned that a shipping drop-off point (UPS center, etc.) is not one of the places to which NJ law says you are allowed to transport a gun. To whom he's shipping it isn't the question.

The safest answer would probably be to a dealer, and then pay them to ship it (which might be more expensive, but might not) -- assuming that UPS or FedEx wouldn't pick it up from your home.

rscalzo
March 1, 2011, 05:23 PM
which might be more expensive, but might not

FFL holders have less restrictions on shipping than a non-holder. Unless the manufacturer is sending a prepaid label, the FFL might be a better choice.

If boxed and labeled with the firearm's manufacturers pre-paid label, I don't see a problem. Just have it sealed before leaving your house.

Tom488
March 1, 2011, 10:22 PM
Just have it sealed before leaving your house.
Right... because there's an exemption for having the handgun in a sealed container with a manufacturer's shipping label... :rolleyes:

Scenario: You box up a handgun, slap a pre-paid UPS shipping label on it that Glock or Springfield or whoever sent you, toss it in your trunk, lock it, and head off to the UPS hub. Next thing you know, you're pulled over for some traffic infraction. I'll use a real-world example that happened to someone I know:

"Sir, I pulled you over because of the obstuction hanging from your rear view mirror. Yes, your air fresherer. That's against the law. Do you have anything in the vehicle I should know about? No? So you don't mind if I look, right? You do? Really? Step out of the car please. If you won't let me search, I'll have a K9 unit brought here, and he'll give me a reason to search. Still no, huh? Have a seat on the curb..."

And 30 minutes later (no lie), a K9 pulls up, and whaddaya know... the dog alerts. 90 minutes later, after they pulled EVERYTHING out of his car, and went through it all with a fine-tooth comb, they handed him his ticket for obstructed view, and left him to put his car back together.

NOW... assume they find this box, addressed to SAI, Inc. up in Mass. They open it up, and find a handgun. Do you think our poor intrepid gun-owner is NOT going to get cuffed, stuffed, and charged with unlawful possession??

Fast-forward to trial... what's his defense? "I was just taking it to UPS to send back to the manufacturer". "Ladies and gentlemen, it doesn't matter where the defendant was intending to transport the gun. According to 2C:39-5b, unless he had a permit to carry that handgun, he was unlawfully in possession of that handgun. There is no exemption in 2C:39-6 which permits a non-permit-holder to transport a gun to a shipping counter".

And again, if all that seems just a little far-fetched, we need look no further than Brian Aitken's ordeal to realize just how prejudiced the NJ judicial system is against legal gun owners.

bushmaster1313
March 1, 2011, 10:43 PM
If boxed and labeled with the firearm's manufacturers pre-paid label, I don't see a problem. Just have it sealed before leaving your house.

Even if the shipper picked up at my home I have now put a handgun in the possession of a shipper in NJ without a permit.

If you enjoyed reading about "How does non-FFL ship gun from New Jersey?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!