Stuck Between two Pythons


February 27, 2011, 11:50 PM
I was finally able to get a hold of my dream gun, Colt Python, but due to the price I had to stick it in layway.

I got this one for 1,000, it a blue 6" Colt Python, serial T 253XX , I believe 1964. Really good shape, doesnt look to be shot a lot. I'll say 98%

Got a call that a shop had the 4" Python for 650, but was more in the 60-70% with obvious surface rust on the barrell.

Having either one in my collection would be a great addition, but which would be the better buy long term ?

If you enjoyed reading about "Stuck Between two Pythons" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
February 27, 2011, 11:55 PM
I would buy the 6" because I won't buy guns in crappy condition for any price. Then I would go shoot it because that's what it was made to do in the first place.

February 28, 2011, 12:01 AM

Personally, I'd go for the 6". However, I have a 6" in the gun safe, I've been looking for another Python in 4", so I'd be the one to buy the 4" and get some cosmetics done to it. That's just me tho, when I was looking for mine 25 years ago, I happened onto one for $275 NIB, currently in the safe. Wish I knew where that 4" is!!!

February 28, 2011, 12:06 AM
As stated get the 6" cause they are rare works of art, and more fun to shoot!

February 28, 2011, 12:11 AM
I guess I'm just different because I already have three 6" ones.

I'd get the 4" one with the wear and just shoot the crap out of of mine had so much wear on it (it had been a duty gun) that the backstrap was mistaken for brushed stainless or NP3.

If you want it pretty later, Colt will make it look like new for about $200

February 28, 2011, 12:49 AM
9mm how accurate is that estimate for the $200?

I also have a Colt Detective special nicke plated, the cylinder has been eaten badly. Wanted to make that one pretty, they were charging me $150 just to replate the cylinder itself.

February 28, 2011, 01:10 AM
I haven't check in a while, I got that figure on this site from someone who sent their's in to have done...that figur was to have it re-blued. I was stunned that it was less that $300.

With a nickeled gun, it is cheaper to replace it than strip and replate it...because you have to remove the base coat too

February 28, 2011, 05:09 AM
If you are not after a carry gun, get the 6``.

February 28, 2011, 05:56 AM
Hello friends and neighbors //Is the 4" from 1955-1969 too?

I'd prefer one from the 1955-1969 era over one from 1970-1996.

I have a 1961 shooter and a 1983 NIB.
I wish they were reversed ,the 83 seems to have had gold plate applied over silver medallions and very little is left.

Either way I hope you enjoy shooting your Python as much as I do mine.

February 28, 2011, 07:08 AM
Just as an FYI, it's $300 to have a Python reblued though Colt and add around another $30-$50 for nickel.
That is as long as nothing else needs to be done.
They will reset the timing & check the mechanicals when the refinish is all done.
They do a wonderful job.


Old Fuff
February 28, 2011, 08:24 AM
The Old Fuff observed long ago that a fine blue finish does nothing to improve the shooting qualities of any handgun, so as a rule he didn't blow any bucks to get a perfect finish on what was to be a frequent shooter.

Also as a rule-of-thumb, earlier Pythons are better then later ones, all other things being equal.

In this case if I wasn't going to shoot the gun all that much I'd opt for the 6-inch one.

If on the other hand I was going to frequently run rounds through it I'd look more favorably at the 4-inch - if it was also an earlier one. But I'd be very careful to be sure the timing was dead-spot-on. Finish aside, it might need to go back to the manufacturer for a tune-up.

It seems foolish to me to spend $300 for a reblue (even though Colt's quality is worth it) if I was going to wear it off in short order.

Last but not least, I never tell anyone that they MUST shoot any gun that they buy, "because that's what they were made for." Frankly, that's none of my business. Many people own guns that for whatever reason they don't shoot, and what they do is their own choice.

February 28, 2011, 11:20 AM
Personally, I'd stick the other on layaway also! If I could pick one up for that kind of money, I'd be all over it if the mechanics were okay. Like Gunkwazy said, it will be about $300 for a Colt reblue, add another $50 or so dollars if you want to have all the rollmarks redone. You can always shoot the crap out of the gun in the condition it's in now and then save up a little at a time for the refinish. I promise you won't be let down with Colt's Royal Blue!

Peter M. Eick
February 28, 2011, 11:30 AM
I would go 6". I find my 6" python to be accurate, and just plain fun to shoot. I normally blast full power loads out of it and really enjoy it for what it is.

February 28, 2011, 11:39 AM
Oh how I wish i could afford to keep both on layway, but with my $9/hr job , money is a bit tight right now.

I figured I'll stick with the 6" Python for now. Hopefully as i get older and I graduate from college my gun collection can continue to grow and there would be room for another Python.

And while I understand a gun was made to shoot, I believe at some point, the gun should be retired and admired as a historical piece. My Baby Browning will never see a bullet in the chamber ever again.

As for now my collection:

1954 Baby Browning
Browning BDA380
Browning BuckMark .22
Colt Detective Special .38 3rd generation
XD45 Tactical (for home defense, but might sell it to help with the Python payments)
and the soon to be 6" Python.

I've been 21 for alittle over 3 months, so I still have time to look around. I wish to acquire the following before i turned 30
1903 Colt
1908 Colt
1911 Colt/Springfield
Colt Anaconda
Colt King Cobra
Hi-Power Browning

Thanks to all for the advice. And I will be looking further more into Colt's refninishing services for future purchases.

February 28, 2011, 11:40 AM
Had the same problem a few years back. A 6" & a 4" blue, like new, same price. he price was $375.00 each. Couldn't decide so I ended up buying both.

February 28, 2011, 01:52 PM
at that price I would have too...that's what I paid for mine

February 28, 2011, 03:47 PM
I see about liquidating one or two of the other guns in order to pay for the second Python. In the condition you described, I'd say you could probably pick the gun up for $600 OTD. Maybe it's just me, but I could easily sacrifice a Springfield XD for a Colt Python! Probably the Browning BDA also. Just my two cents though!

February 28, 2011, 05:45 PM
Original grips on both? They make up 200+ bucks of the gun's value.

February 28, 2011, 07:42 PM
The bluing on them is pretty amazing imo, and I'd personally go for the blue 6". It will be a tack driver is my prediction, and smooth as silk with .38 special.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stuck Between two Pythons" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!