FFL Xfer Fees

PDA

svtruth
February 28, 2011, 11:41 AM
What is the range in these? My LGS has never charged me anything.

If you enjoyed reading about "FFL Xfer Fees" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dogtown tom
February 28, 2011, 11:43 AM
Do a search.

There are eleventy dozen threads on this.

mgmorden
February 28, 2011, 11:44 AM
$15-25. I've seen more (as high as $50) but that's rare. I think the people who set prices that high just don't want to deal with it. They figure they price it high enough that people won't bother and the odd glutton for punishment that does pay the price then, well, at least they make good money off of him :).

Bubba613
February 28, 2011, 11:50 AM
Oh gee, a whole 3 weeks before another one of these.

FFLs should never do this on a new easily obtainable gun and should charge about $50 on anything else.

slowr1der
February 28, 2011, 11:58 AM
FFLs should never do this on a new easily obtainable gun and should charge about $50 on anything else.Seriously? If I come across any FFL dealer charging outrageous fee's like this, they usually have outrageous prices on everything else too. However, they will be sure to never earn my business. What's better, making $25 off of someone for a transfer on something you don't want to sell reasonably? Or making $0 off of someone when they just go somewhere else?

rklessdriver
February 28, 2011, 11:58 AM
FFL transfer fees are very much a regional thing. You can just about guarantee people in CA are going to pay more than people in TX....

In my area of Northern VA transfers cost $25-$30 if you shop around.... Up the road aways the fees cost $50-$75. When I was stationed in fairly rural Eastern NC I had a pretty good friend with an FFL that charged me $20.

Auction Arms has a FFL finder that list fees as well as FFL contact info, I have found to be very helpful.

http://www.auctionarms.com/help/fflnetwork.cfm

Will

22-rimfire
February 28, 2011, 11:59 AM
I'm not an FFL dealer, but I do understand business to a degree. I would be more than happy to do transfers for my regular customers at what I consider to be a very reasonable cost of about $25 or nothing at all for my good customers. I also agree with Bubba613 that if a gun is easily obtainable new, the fee should be much higher or about $50 depending on the market. I would still do the transfer, but they would pay. I figure they should figure their time to do transfers to non-regular customers at about $100 per hour. So, $50 sounds about right. When is the last time you had your car worked on at a car dealer? Check their labor rates and a gun shop is a speciality business.

What's better, making $25 off of someone for a transfer on something you don't want to sell reasonably? Or making $0 off of someone when they just go somewhere else?

I would choose ZERO. I do it all the time in my business which is not firearms related. Let someone else play Kmart.

As others have said, the price ranges from about $15 to $100 depending on regional pricing and competition.

cheygriz
February 28, 2011, 12:06 PM
$15-$20 generally. $10-$15 if you do business with the particular dealer on a regular basis.

mgmorden
February 28, 2011, 12:14 PM
I would choose ZERO. I do it all the time in my business which is not firearms related. Let someone else play Kmart.

The shops that do that too freely will soon be out of business. Realistically, capitalism is about competition, and competition drives prices down. Most people buy online specifically because the local shops don't want to compete at the same level. I'm not going to buy a gun locally for $500 when buds has it for $375. I'm not even gonna do it for $450 if buds has it for $400. Less than a $50 difference and then I'll start considering it.

Other than that though - tough nuggets. You can compete on price, or you can take the money for the transfer at a competitive rate. Don't want that money or try to get haughty and "lay down the law" about what you're going to do it for and and not, and I'll simply go elsewhere. There are several FFL's in my area (at least 3 that I know of) whose sole business is transfers. None of them charge more than $20 and I'm happy to give them any business the shops don't want.

22-rimfire
February 28, 2011, 12:23 PM
mgmorden, I think I explained very well what I would do as far as transfer fees go. It would be a sliding scale essentially. I consider any FFL who's sole business is transfers is a hobby not a business and I question if they should have an FFL in the first place.

You price differential is often all about sales tax. That will be changing and folks like Buds will have to deal with it.

Capitalism.... yep. I beat just about everyone's pricing. But I don't do the little stuff for free unless they are regular customers or have already paid me for other services.

mgmorden
February 28, 2011, 12:41 PM
I consider any FFL who's sole business is transfers is a hobby not a business and I question if they should have an FFL in the first place.

The guy I normally use did nearly 2000 transfers last year. That's not a hobby. I also question anyone who feels the need to declare whether or not they "should" have an FFL. Mighty easy to price gouge when you're letting the government deny your competitors the right to do business.

Also, sales tax isn't really an issue when you're comparing prices BEFORE sales taxes. Usually with the transfer fee (not to mention shipping, which even if included in the price is being paid and factored into the price) sales tax is a wash anyways. The reality is that MOST local shops simply don't compete with the mail order outfits, and many more act as if they're doing you a favor when you shop there. They are free to charge $50, $75, or whatever "sliding scale" they want. When reality slaps them in the face though and they realize that just because they set those policies doesn't mean that the customers must obey their rules. There's other people more than happy to provide the service for a more reasonable price. Only a fool believes that he can double his profit merely by doubling his prices.

Jorg Nysgerrig
February 28, 2011, 12:50 PM
Wow, only 4 posts before we stopped talking about the fees and started discussing how to run a business. That might be a new record.

Your best bet to find the local fee range is to use Gunbroker's FFL finder and look up the FFL transfer prices there.

If you enjoyed reading about "FFL Xfer Fees" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!