Got my first handgun.

PDA

Ukraine Train
January 5, 2004, 03:54 PM
Went to a gun show near Cleveland on Saturday (just over a week after my 21st birthday) and found a Bulgarian Makarov in pretty good shape. Has some wear in the bluing around the muzzle but other than that it's clean. Came with two mags, cleaning tool and two grips. $150 with tax. Also got 150 rounds but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got my first handgun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
krept
January 5, 2004, 05:14 PM
Congrats, nice choice for a first.

cratz2
January 5, 2004, 05:29 PM
A Mak is an outstanding place to start.

Good gun, reliable, concealable (if a bit heavy) and cheap to shoot...

Being your first time and all, be sure to stay safe. ;)

BowStreetRunner
January 5, 2004, 06:46 PM
hey, that was my first handgun too!
my first gun really :)
I love it too
cant go wrong with a bulgy mak
BSR

JimJD
January 5, 2004, 06:54 PM
Wow, nice choice!
I was just at local shop, they have them for $200.00, one mag, and that's it.
You made out nice :D

10-Ring
January 5, 2004, 07:39 PM
Congrats on your first! ;)

jayhway
January 5, 2004, 07:45 PM
Congrats on the new handgun!

I've had my Bulgarian Mak and found it a real blast to shoot. Cheap ammo may be hard to find locally, but is very cheap online. Only changes I made to my Mak was 1) Changed out crappy grips with Pearce grip (or EG grip) 2) Put in a 19# recoil spring.

Ukraine Train
January 7, 2004, 07:51 AM
Well, I took it to the range last night. In a word: awesome! With a little practice I got all 8 rounds into about a 1.5" group at ~12ft, though it was about an inch to the left and a half inch above point of aim. The only hiccup I experienced was the slide failed to lock back once after the last round. Other than that, no trouble feeding any of the three types of ammo I had, including HP. I think I might upgrade the grip as the black plastic one it came with tended to bite the web of my hand a bit. A 19# recoil spring may be in order too. My hands were starting to get a bit shakey after a few mags so I need to figure out how to cure that.

George Hill
January 7, 2004, 10:39 AM
Good choice... and good grouping your first time out.
Congratulations.

La Pistoletta
January 7, 2004, 03:09 PM
How powerful is the Makarov ammunition?

Ukraine Train
January 7, 2004, 03:43 PM
The ammo I was shooting was 92gr (fmj), 95gr (fmj), and 115gr (hp) so it packs a smaller punch than even 9mm Luger but this goes back to the debate of "is 9x18 inadequate for self defense?" A lot of people will tell you that shot placement is more important than what round you're using. I'll tell you, though, the web of my right hand is sore today hehe. The recoil is snappy, especially with the hollow points.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got my first handgun." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!