Is the ATF advising dealers not to accept transfers from nonFFL?

PDA

BobinIL
February 28, 2011, 04:36 PM
I purchased a gun from an internet sight today and went to 4 different FFL dealers before I found one that would accept a gun from a non-FFL holder. Either all the dealers in my area have gotten their heads together to stick it to Internet purchases or something else is going on.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is the ATF advising dealers not to accept transfers from nonFFL?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CoRoMo
February 28, 2011, 04:46 PM
No. Some dealers just have a policy of not accepting shipments from non-licensees.

mgmorden
February 28, 2011, 04:46 PM
On another board I frequent (Graybeards), the site owner contacted the BATF and was specifically told that you needed to do FFL to FFL.

Whether that's preemptive on their parts or a real rule, or just a clueless person on the phone, I'm not sure, but that was their line when asked about it.

RX-178
February 28, 2011, 04:51 PM
From what I understand, it's a CYA move.

It's apparently an all-too-common phenomenon, that the FFL will receive a firearm from a non-FFL holder, and then have the buyer refuse the complete the transfer, for whatever reason.

Well, now that firearm is in their bound book, and they can't just ship it back to the original owner. They're stuck with it until they can find someone to buy it from them.

FFL to FFL, they are at least reasonably sure that if there's an issue where the buyer refuses to complete the transfer (including defects in the firearm), they can send it back.

TexasRifleman
February 28, 2011, 04:52 PM
Whether that's preemptive on their parts or a real rule, or just a clueless person on the phone, I'm not sure, but that was their line when asked about it.

Clueless I suspect. Not even remotely close to illegal. It's done all the time.

Straight from the ATF website:

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?
A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

karlsgunbunker
March 1, 2011, 12:17 AM
Most FFL's that refuse to accept shipment from Non-FFL's are just fed up.
You get firearms with no paperwork, nothing, nada.
All a FFL needs is the name and address of the shipper and the name and contact info of the buyer.
After having many guns shipped with out this minimum amount of paperwork, they just get fed up.
It's just easier to accept shipments from FFL's, they either send a copy of their FFL or will fax one as needed.

I have received several firearms with no idea who they were going to.

It's just common sense, Put a Note in the box, your name and address, and name, address and phone number of the recipient.

To much to expect from some folks, thus the FFL to FFL only policies.

Bubbles
March 1, 2011, 11:37 AM
I have received several firearms with no idea who they were going to.

So have we, but that's not an issue as we figure at some point we'll get a phone call asking if the gun has arrived yet. It's much worse when there's no paper on the sender and the return address lists "J Smith" at "Bubba's Shipping Emporium, Box XX..."

jerkface11
March 1, 2011, 11:40 AM
It's apparently an all-too-common phenomenon, that the FFL will receive a firearm from a non-FFL holder, and then have the buyer refuse the complete the transfer, for whatever reason.

Well, now that firearm is in their bound book, and they can't just ship it back to the original owner. They're stuck with it until they can find someone to buy it from them.

LOL that poor dealer stuck having to sell a gun they have $0 invested in it's a TRAVESTY!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Is the ATF advising dealers not to accept transfers from nonFFL?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!