IL gun owner list to possibly be made public

PDA

IMTHDUKE
March 1, 2011, 03:02 PM
Illinois: Release Names of All Gun Owners

Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan says state police must release the name of everyone in the state who is authorized to own a gun.
State police determine who gets a Firearm Owners Identification card, which allows people to own guns. The police have always kept the list private.

If you enjoyed reading about "IL gun owner list to possibly be made public" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ala Dan
March 1, 2011, 03:06 PM
My state Alabama does not need too follow suit~! :eek: :cuss:

SpeedAKL
March 1, 2011, 03:14 PM
I remember when our local paper revealed the full list of CCW holders in Virginia a few years back. The people exploded in outrage, justifiably so. For a state to do this to every gun owner in its jurisdiction is absolutely appalling!

This is why we need to oppose firearm registration at every turn. Not only does it make guns easier to grab, but it also it allows politicians to pull stunts like this to intimidate and single out gun owners. This could have ramifications for personal safety and employment among other things.

WoofersInc
March 1, 2011, 03:18 PM
We had a case run through the court system here in Nevada. A Reno paper wanted to obtain and publish all the CCW info.

We now have a bill in the legislature that would keep CCW info confidential. I'm hoping that it will pass.
it is in commitee. So far the only opposition is from the criminal defense lawyers, saying that they need this info available for civil cases. Fortunately we also have a "castle doctrine" bill also working it's way through right now. Both bills have both Dem and Repub support here so they look good for passage.

Azul
March 1, 2011, 03:19 PM
The Illinois Attorney General, Lisa Madigan, says that the State Police needs to release the name of everyone in the state with a FOID card. For those of you that don't know, here in Illinois we have to have a Firearm Owner ID card in order to even touch a gun. This list has historically been kept private.

Here's the story:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/news/local/chibrknews-atty-general-illinois-should-release-foid-card-list-20110301,0,704858.story

Illinois residents should contact their state representatives and senators as there are bills in the House and Senate that would keep the list private.

McCall911
March 1, 2011, 03:25 PM
Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan says state police must release the name of everyone in the state who is authorized to own a gun.
State police determine who gets a Firearm Owners Identification card, which allows people to own guns. The police have always kept the list private.

My state Alabama does not need too follow suit~!

What Dan says, but I'm sorry this has happened in IL. I hope all the law abiding gun owners of your state will band together and fight this travesty.

Xfire68
March 1, 2011, 03:27 PM
Wow yet another way to violate our rights as gun owners!

This is why she should have been voted out of office this passed election but, the people of IL are lost! I should be out of here by the end of the year! :neener:

RockyMtnTactical
March 1, 2011, 03:27 PM
Lots of states looking to make more restrictions. Many others working to loosen restrictions. No matter which one you are in, be heard. Do something to fight bad legislation and push for good legislation. Our collective efforts make a big difference. Politicians should fear enacting gun restrictions for fear of losing their job.

Birdmang
March 1, 2011, 03:29 PM
There is another thread about this. I don't know which one came first but I wish there wasn't a need for this thread!!!! MADigan sucks.

gearchecker
March 1, 2011, 03:36 PM
Who are they supposed to release this list to?
There are extreme safety and security issues if the names of gun owners gets released in public. You can bet every theif in the great lakes region will be downloading the list and then cross referencing it to known addresses. It could turn the entire state of Ill. into a crime zone. I'm really not sure the Attorney general is ready for the ramifications of releasing this information.
I seriously hope smarter and calmer heads prevail on this issue. This type of information release was tried in California over people that supported the gay marriage ban. Their identification remaines private thru court order.
This is similar, but with much more dangerous & possibly deadly consequences if it gets passed.
Please keep us informed.

rocinante
March 1, 2011, 03:42 PM
I came here to link to the same story. I feel for the folks in Illinois and other states. If a pol in Georgia even brought up an idea like FOID cards much less a ninny like publishing names and addresses their career would be OVER.

swiftak
March 1, 2011, 03:58 PM
New Hampshire has no such list. As far as I know.
We are actually attempting to loosen what little restriction we have since the smarter people voted in November.

Sensai
March 1, 2011, 03:59 PM
This is just one more example of why we should fight any recordskeeping of individual gun sales/ownership/licensing/etc. It all amounts to registration, whether we admit it or not. If government at any level has access to information about individual citizens it WILL be misused at one time or another. It's just the nature of the beast!:banghead:

wildbilll
March 1, 2011, 04:00 PM
Actually, I'm glad she did it. I don't think the ISP will release the info. They will wait till some other organization files a suit to block. I think this release threat will make a lot of people mad who were fence sitters in the gun debate in IL. I can't imagine how someone would want their name to be public.

Claude Clay
March 1, 2011, 04:01 PM
one would think the police and judges would oppose such a release.
i do, and i am not LEO or rich or politically connected. they can hide behind exemption clauses; I'll have to hide at my last possible place in my 'castle' i can retreat to-- behind a mattress:mad:

BCCL
March 1, 2011, 04:56 PM
A prefect example of why any form of gun/gun owner registration in the hands of government is a foolish idea.

If they release this list, then I want to see them prosecuted when the first wave of criminals is caught targeting houses with names from the list in their possession.

March 1, 2011, 04:58 PM
must release the name of everyone in the state who is authorized to own a gun.

My state Alabama does not need too follow suit

Luckily in the great state of Alabama that list would include everyone except for felons and other prohibited people. Alabama doesn't have to tell people that they are authorized to own guns, we just have to keep them away from a couple of people.

I sure do hate to see Il. doing this though.

1911Tuner
March 1, 2011, 05:00 PM
Sounds like the right honorable Ms Madigan simply wants to give the misunderstood, oppressed, underpriveleged entrepreneurs in her state the means to identify which homes present a danger to their pursuit of their chosen careers so that they may select vict...err...clients that afford them the best opportunities to conduct business unafraid and unmolested.

Uteridge
March 1, 2011, 05:10 PM
Well...if your identity gets stolen then please feel free to sue the state that published your confidential information in a public setting. Don't just sue the state though; sue the officials that write, vote for, and carry it out.

If I lose a roster of PII and ID's get stolen I am personally liable for that; politicians should be no different.

cambeul41
March 1, 2011, 05:31 PM
Publicize the names and personal information of all those that vote for publicizing your personal information.

Shooter James
March 1, 2011, 05:34 PM
I will be meeting with My Representative on Friday. I will share My displeasure to say the least. I wonder if Atty. Gen. is wanting to know how many of Us have a card so She can raise the cost of a card to get more monies to the State. Just an idea I had.

merlinfire
March 1, 2011, 05:49 PM
I am wondering what their thought process or logical reason is for needing to publish this? I doubt that it would achieve any of their goals, but I wonder what those goals are? Ostensibly public safety? Something else? Other than "screw you guys".

Tim the student
March 1, 2011, 06:12 PM
I'm really at a loss of words, other than:

For the love of God, what is she thinking?

W L Johnson
March 1, 2011, 06:16 PM
The Associated Press requested in September the names of each FOID cardholder in the state and the expiration date of each card
AP wants the info, this is the part that bugs me the most. Why does AP want this info unless they are actively trying to undermine gun ownership.

Old Fuff
March 1, 2011, 06:40 PM
If the Associated Press (which isn't exactly pro gun-rights) wants to print the names and addresses of ALL of the FOID card holders, things might get interesting when the 2012 elections come up because an whole lot of voters would be involved. I think it's more likely they'll try to check the names against other data bases in an attempt to find FOID folks that have a criminal or other "prohibited person" background. Then of course call for more restrictive legislation.

Them that kick a wasp's nest are likely to get stung. :evil:

dcdub
March 1, 2011, 06:40 PM
Didn't this happen in Tennessee recently where a list of CCW holders was published in a newspaper?

If I were a criminal, these would be the LAST houses I would target. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a horrible idea to release this information, but I think it's an even worse idea to break into a home when you KNOW the resident is armed

MD_Willington
March 1, 2011, 06:43 PM
Releasing the FOID list is just a way for the Illinois government to have gun owners stripped of their guns or thrown in jail for defending their property. Its a thugs one stop shopping list.

W L Johnson
March 1, 2011, 06:45 PM
If I were a criminal, these would be the LAST houses I would target.
That would be great, but most break-ins are while no one is home.

CapnMac
March 1, 2011, 07:00 PM
Well, while I am not complacent, here in Texas, we'd have to have implementation of a FOID in the first place.

While I'm sure at least one of the pusillanimous poltroons who infect Austin for 1412 days every other year have thought to introduce such a thing; most are aware enough to realize it would be as pointless as requiring pigs to taught to fly.

(The entrances to the Capitol have an "express lane" for CHL holders being a rather constant reminder to the 'less aware' politicos too.)

All of which makes me weep for IL, NJ, CA and the like--and frustrates me for having so little to offer to help in those places. That, and we have rather a lot on our plate in dealing with the mendacity being presently hurled about over the de-regulation of campus buildings for CHL carry.

Steve Raacke
March 1, 2011, 07:11 PM
On the bright side, if the list is released, gun rights groups would have an instant direct mail list. Illinois Citizens Defense League or similar groups should use such a list to form stronger State Gun rights groups to fight bad legislation.

oneounceload
March 1, 2011, 08:01 PM
That would mean the list is going to contain the names of all of the judges and LEO's who have guns in IL as well..............correct??

jonmerritt
March 1, 2011, 08:50 PM
In Iowa, just open any phone book and pick a name, Most anybody is eligable to own a gun if they choose to do so.

stonecutter2
March 1, 2011, 09:20 PM
Just wanted to throw out that a FOID card holder is not necessarily a gun owner. Yes, you need a FOID to buy a gun and ammo in Illinois, but also to handle a gun at the range or wherever. I have friends with FOID's who have one so they can go out and shoot with me, and buy ammo to shoot.

The entire FOID card thing really annoys me. To me it's like paying the government a fee of $10 every 5 years, so you can maintain your freedom of religion. I don't understand how it hasn't been stricken down yet.

Birdmang
March 1, 2011, 09:25 PM
Where does the assumption come from that ADDRESSES will be included with these names?

stonecutter2
March 1, 2011, 09:26 PM
Where does the assumption come from that ADDRESSES will be included with these names?
The AG specified that addresses and phone numbers would remain confidential, but Google makes it super easy to find anyone's address, with their name and city/state.

Birdmang
March 1, 2011, 09:31 PM
I disagree with this list being made public, but you could not find my address with my name, city and state.

I'm not even listed on spokeo which is one of the scariest information sites out there.

The fact of the matter is that it shouldn't be made public because of basic privacy, but if it is made public you wont get burglarized the next day.

EDIT: I'm not a computer expert/hacker but could someone good at something like that find a forum poster with gun pictures and get their IP address, then get an address out of that? The difference being your government giving up the privacy and info vs. yourself giving it up by posting, which is completely different.

IMTHDUKE
March 1, 2011, 09:41 PM
Well, all the gun pics that I post were the ones that I owned before the great boat accident I had while cleaning them all while fishing. I sure do miss them guns.

I'm just into whittling now...but only with a plastic knife.

TexasRifleman
March 1, 2011, 09:42 PM
Texas is just gonna release the names of those who DON'T own a gun..... all 7 of them.

stonecutter2
March 1, 2011, 09:44 PM
I disagree with this list being made public, but you could not find my address with my name, city and state.

I'm not even listed on spokeo which is one of the scariest information sites out there.

The fact of the matter is that it shouldn't be made public because of basic privacy, but if it is made public you wont get burglarized the next day.

EDIT: I'm not a computer expert/hacker but could someone good at something like that find a forum poster with gun pictures and get their IP address, then get an address out of that? The difference being your government giving up the privacy and info vs. yourself giving it up by posting, which is completely different.
Unless you pay to keep your info private (I think that's how that works?), generally one's address is public information readily available on the internet.

One's possession of a FOID card currently is not. Release the FOID card info, and it wouldn't be hard for a thief to put them together.

I'm not a hacker either, but I'm thinking only your internet provider knows that your IP translates to your account, which is billed to your address.

As best I know, IP addresses don't divulge private information. They can be used with a warrant served to an ISP to force them to give authorities your address, however.

Millwright
March 1, 2011, 09:47 PM
Seems to me its only equitable private details of this lady's life - and those of her supporters - be published as well.........Addresses, phone numbers, etc, ad infintum......>MW

AlexanderA
March 1, 2011, 10:05 PM
Releasing the names of gun owners -- and even would-be gun owners -- is indeed an outrage.

Remember the scene at the end of the movie "Spartacus" when the Romans had rounded up the revolting gladiators/slaves, and demanded that Spartacus step forward and identify himself? Everybody stepped forward and claimed he was Spartacus!

If everybody in Illinois who cares about civil liberties applies for a FOID, whether they necessarily want a gun or not, then the information on the list would be essentially useless.

xcgates
March 1, 2011, 10:42 PM
Maybe I am just ignorant, but are DMV records available to the public?

I thought that even under FOIA, due to privacy concerns (the privacy act of 1974?) only the person the record was about, or businesses with a direct interest (like insurance?) could access the information.

If that is the case, I would think that leans pretty heavily on the "don't make the list public." Of course laws vary from state to state, and I am pretty sure that both the privacy act, and FOIA are only directly applicable to federal level agencies, though many states have similar laws on the book.

gunnutery
March 1, 2011, 11:02 PM
It may somehow be along the lines of the info being kept by a public office and therefore public information? Perhaps the contents of Madigan's office and computers should be released as well. Vehicle ownership is public information, but they don't just give it away, you have to pay a fee for each vehicle info you want.

It's still pretty stupid though, there is no need or reason. Reason is something I rarely hear anything about when discussing IL politics though.

csbassplayer2003
March 1, 2011, 11:04 PM
Stand fast ISP. Tell her to shove it. We are required to register, then they want to release that info to every hood rat and "misguided youth" in the state. Just another in a long line of moronic public officials in this state.

People WITH guns will be targeted for theft, and people WITHOUT guns will be at risk because they will now be known soft targets. No rhyme or reason for this AT ALL. Even if the names are released, it doesn't take rocket science to be able to piece together names and addresses just using the internet.

Sentry71
March 1, 2011, 11:26 PM
I have had my FOID card for over a year, but just purchased my first gun last month.

I keep reading that the point of getting the names released is to somehow verify that the FOID Act is being enforced. I don't see a news organization as being qualified for that type of review.

I sure as heck don't want my name displayed for the world to see - its no one's business if I have one gun, two thousand, or none at all, unless *I* tell them myself.

Calling my rep tomorrow.

hso
March 1, 2011, 11:45 PM
There are extreme safety and security issues if the names of gun owners gets released in public. You can bet every theif in the great lakes region will be downloading the list and then cross referencing it to known addresses. It could turn the entire state of Ill. into a crime zone

This hasn't been the case where carry permit holder information was made public by Anti print media so that's unlikely.

The more basic argument against this is to ask why make the info public and why would the government responsible for safeguarding it consider making it public?

Why would the AP want the info? Perhaps to show how many real people in IL have actually gone to the trouble to get a FOID card instead of trusting the officials of a state dominated by anti Chicago?

Under public records laws the officials are obligated to provide some information when requested. The privacy of individual citizens can come in conflict with public records information rules.

elderberry
March 2, 2011, 12:50 AM
Here's the deal. Her father, Michael Madigan, is the Illinois Speaker of the House and Chairman of the Illinois Democratic Party. He represents the 22nd district which is the southwest side of Chicago and he is one of the power brokers of the Illinois democrat machine, and make no mistake about it, the machine runs this state. He is very powerful, very anti-gun, and another one of Mayor Daley's lap dogs. In case you haven't heard, Chicago runs this state via the power of the democrat machine politics and the rest of us can just like it or lump it...

Tomorrow the Civil Law Committee will debate HB0007 which is a republican sponsored bill to make all FOID information private. His daughter's public announcement today was an attempted preemptive strike at that bill which I hope backfires on him and on her come election time...

It is Illinois politics at it's (normal) dirtiest...

http://ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=7&GAID=11&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=54385&SessionID=84&GA=97

ReadyontheRight
March 2, 2011, 12:58 AM
We need less $$$money$$$ applied to education and more education applied to education.

We now have generations who have never learned the Bill of Rights in school.

potmetal
March 2, 2011, 06:05 AM
It would be interesting to see how many of the anti-gun politicians and media types are on that list. You know the double standard applies if you're rich enough, or powerful enough. That's why the list may never get published, lots of the power brokers in Chicago will be on it, and they won't let that happen.

elderberry
March 2, 2011, 08:20 AM
It would be interesting to see how many of the anti-gun politicians and media types are on that list. You know the double standard applies if you're rich enough, or powerful enough. That's why the list may never get published, lots of the power brokers in Chicago will be on it, and they won't let that happen.

Rumor has it that whiney little Daley guy up in Chicago has an outstanding collection of 1911's....

csbassplayer2003
March 2, 2011, 11:17 AM
Well If I was a crook, I'd know whos house I'd hit first then...

dcdub
March 2, 2011, 03:50 PM
That would be great, but most break-ins are while no one is home.
I'm no crook, but I sure as heck wouldn't want to risk it. My truck might not be in the driveway because I'm letting a friend or relative borrow it to haul something, but I could very likely be sitting on my couch with my G22 right by my side. Maybe I'm just a little more intelligent than your average criminal, or a little less ballsy. Maybe a little of both

xcgates
March 2, 2011, 06:43 PM
Or could be like me where my ratty car sits in the front of the driveway all the time, because my bikes are in the garage, so unless you see me leave/return you don't know if I'm home.

Larry E
March 2, 2011, 06:59 PM
Lotsa luck in Montana! Unless the BATFE is ILLEGALLY saving NCIC calls from dealers and supplying them to the state there's no way this state would have the information. If they did and published the information the State AG would likely find himself looking for a new job next election.

Makes a guy happy to live in a free state, cold but free.

OC_
March 2, 2011, 07:30 PM
Look who started this whole thing. It wasn't some left wing activist group or anything like that, it was the Associated Press.

I guess they are in the business of making their own news now.

Blue .45
March 2, 2011, 07:46 PM
I don't understand why we need a permit to exercise a constitutionally protected right, in the first place. :mad:

plodder
March 2, 2011, 08:51 PM
I am very happy to note that I am a FORMER Illinois resident. The very idea that I needed to have the permission of the state to access a Constitutionally guaranteed right was always infuriating to me. Now this action proves what anyone with any sense knew all along. The government keeping records on law abiding firearm owners could come to no good. If I still lived in IL and my name wasn't on that list, I think I would feel more endangered than if it was on the list. The state of Illinois owes this country an apology. It is the birthplace of the best president of my lifetime (Reagan) and it contains the "hometown" of the worst president in the nation's history.

Old Shooter
March 2, 2011, 09:08 PM
So do they plan to also publish the names and address of all sex offenders, persons on parole, dwi convictions, domestic violence offenders, drug dealers and users, prostitutes and whatever? The answer is no. The agenda will probably be to make FOID holders feel uncomfortable and advance whatever anti-gun ownership agenda they may support now or in the next election.

You probably can't vote them "out" because to be in politics in Illinois they have to be anti second amendment in one fashion or another,. It boils down to vote for the devil you know or vote for the devil you don't. It won't most likely change anything at all.

elderberry
March 2, 2011, 10:00 PM
Check this crap out. We have a nice young lady that works sporting goods at the local Wallyworld. In order to legally touch and sell ammo she must have a FOID card. She does not have a firearm and has never shot a firearm. But her name would get published too.

Fair..???

JoeMal
March 2, 2011, 10:17 PM
Check this crap out. We have a nice young lady that works sporting goods at the local Wallyworld. In order to legally touch and sell ammo she must have a FOID card. She does not have a firearm and has never shot a firearm. But her name would get published too.
Isn't it interesting how that works?

belercous
March 2, 2011, 10:51 PM
I assummed this info was already available to the public, thru F.O.I.A. if nowhere else. So what? I'm not ashamed of being a F.O.I.D. card holder and I don't care if others know it. They could publish the fact that I own guns for all I care. That would probably discourage more burglars than create them.

If a thief thinks he can tell if someone is home at my house just by looking for a car in the driveway, lights on or someone answering the phone, such person(s) could well have their day get real interesting. And smart thieves (oxymoron, I know) might just use the list for houses not to break into, for the obvious reason. Around here at least, guns aren't the highest value item on a crook's wish list. I'd be much more concerned if IL published a list of guitar/stereo/etc. owners. Hot guns don't bring all that much on the black market relative to other items.

This just seems like more hyseria/fear mongering over nothing of much import.

Carl N. Brown
March 2, 2011, 10:55 PM
For Illinois: Why You Should Fight This

Go to the Memphis (Tennessee) Commercial Appeal newspaper Data Center.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/data/

Under Public Safety, Tennessee Handgun Carry Permits

You can search on first and last name and get a list of everyone by that
name with Tennessee handgun carry permit and select details and get:
Last Name
First Name
Middle Name
Birth year
City
County
ZIP
Issue Date
Expiration Date

The data search used to return street address, until the evil demon gun nuts coerced the holy crusaders of the Commercial Appeal to remove street addresses.

The CA publishes stories with titles like "Armed and dangerous: Dozens with violent histories received handgun carry permits" and "Felons slip through cracks in system to carry firearms" burying the fact that they are talking about 70 out of 32,000 in Shelby County (Memphis) where judges let thugs back on the streets revolving door fashion and don't bother (as required by law) to pull the carry permits of the few who have them. No, the public needs to be warned about the 32,000 legal permit holders. CA acts as though felons would not be carrying guns without the licensing system. As if. The neighborhood I gew up in, I knew bootleggers, gamblers, and other assorted criminal types in the 1960s and they had guns obtained illegally and carried guns illegally before there ever was a permit law. For CA to imply that criminal offenders need to have a permit to carry, otherwise they would not, is insanity. And to act as though the public needs to treat the people on the list as dangers to their safety is crazier.

Coming to a newspaper website near you, if you let it happen.

Sentry71
March 2, 2011, 10:58 PM
So do they plan to also publish the names and address of all sex offenders, persons on parole, dwi convictions, domestic violence offenders, drug dealers and users, prostitutes and whatever? The answer is no.

Illinois Sex Offender Registry - http://www.isp.state.il.us/sor/
Early Release of Inmates - http://www.idoc.state.il.us/subsections/search/CNER.asp
I also found sites for DUI/DWI record checks, as well as other "background check" items, but I don't know if that is what you referred to.

As to whether the AP plans to publish this information, I highly doubt it, since that info is already available. It seems the AP wants access to information that they, by my reckoning of MY privacy, should not have.

Carl N. Brown
March 2, 2011, 11:08 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-il-gunowners-disclos,0,5686959.story

State police officials have long held that releasing information about the holders of Firearm Owners identification cards would be an unwarranted invasion of privacy prohibited by the state public records law and that disclosure would automatically endanger the lives of gun owners or those who don't have firearms.

In its letter, the attorney general's office disagreed, saying the public has "a legitimate interest" in having the information about who has the right to possess a gun.....

Who needs a stinkin' list to know "who has the right to possess a gun"? The people have the right to keep and bear arms. Any of them. All of them if they so choose. Geez. I am taking my curmudgeon butt to bed. Bye.

Shooter James
March 3, 2011, 05:39 PM
We in Illinois have a fight on Our hands. At the rate We are going, there will not be any privatcy at all. With the internet, We have lost some privatcy already. I'm for standing with Our State Police, to keep the names private. We as Gun Owners have signed a contract with the State Police, by signing the forms for a FOID card. How Dare anyone, to try to invade Our Contract with Our State Police. This is a tool for the SP to use.

Shinbone
March 3, 2011, 05:39 PM
It's a strange feeling to buy a firearm here in Ill. Almost feel like it's "on loan" until they decide to come and take it from you. Makes you feel kind of sick in the stomach. :barf:
Time to head for Wisconsin. (Nearest stateline).

leadcounsel
March 3, 2011, 05:56 PM
Sounds like harassment to me. Maybe the names and addresses and work schedules of the non-gun owners who work at the newspapers should be published...

JTHunter
March 4, 2011, 12:18 AM
This was reported on KMOX Radio Wednesday morning, so I contacted Madigan's office in the Belleville area.

They transferred me to "Constituent Services" in Springfield. I was told that their phone number there is 217-782-9394 and I talked with a Mr. Mike Matulis.

He explained that the Associated Press request does follow "case law" and is a legitimate request. He told me that he does believe that the ISP intends to fight this in the courts. He also informed me that there is at least one bill (possibly two) in the State House that would amend the law to KEEP the FOID records "non-public".

Mr. Matulis suggested that we contact all the politicians we can, even if they are not our own, to urge them to support these measures.

Here is the home page for the AG's office. There is a "Contact Us" link at the top right.
http://www.illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/

Ignition Override
March 4, 2011, 01:32 AM
Carl N. Brown:
Tragically, a guy's wife decided to 'fuss' with another guy's wife over a tight parking space, by an Italian restaurant in Cordova, a suburb of Memphis.

The gentleman with the legal carry permit ended up feeling threatened by the other, larger guy.
The guy with the permit allegedly walked to his car to get his handgun, then came back and put it in the big guy's mouth.

He pulled it out, and in front of the big guy's wife and children, killed the man.

The shooter is now or will soon be in prison.

Davey Wavey
April 18, 2011, 04:47 AM
HB3500, the bill to keep FOID info protected from FOIA requests, passed in the house recently. It now moves to the senate.

It passed 98 yays to 12 nays.

merlinfire
April 18, 2011, 10:08 AM
I have asked this question a number of times and have never received a good answer, when things like this come up.

What possible public good does such an action serve, when weighed against the fairly obvious public safety concern?

merlinfire
April 18, 2011, 10:10 AM
HB3500, the bill to keep FOID info protected from FOIA requests, passed in the house recently. It now moves to the senate.

It passed 98 yays to 12 nays.

GREAT to hear. I'm in Ohio but I definitely sympathize with gun owners everywhere. This garbage has got to stop. Seems like politics are so bad these days that politicians are willing to cut the nose off to spite the face, even when it comes to public safety, to score political points.

Usmc-1
April 19, 2011, 08:56 AM
Well the criminals of course!

If you enjoyed reading about "IL gun owner list to possibly be made public" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!