Load Log

PDA

RugerSAFan
January 25, 2003, 12:24 PM
How do you track the history of your various loads?
I want to start the right way. I have seen vendor
developed software, but I don't always have a
computer available.

If you enjoyed reading about "Load Log" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sisco
January 25, 2003, 12:33 PM
I made up a form in Excel, print out copies and keep them in a binder at my bench.

GinSlinger
January 25, 2003, 12:46 PM
what Sisco said

GinSlinger

As an aside: Anyone else here make thier own targets for monitoring? I use 1/2 grid and 5 2" squares for mine

TIR
January 25, 2003, 12:58 PM
I reload to save money so I figured why spend alot of money on tracking the loads. I use a notebook I had laying around, works great for me as I can write a whole lot better than I can type.:D

Mike Irwin
January 25, 2003, 02:45 PM
I used to log everything, and now I'm not quite so exacting.

coonan357
January 25, 2003, 02:59 PM
made a sticker that goes inside the box that I write data and notes on, when I get back from the range I take the sticker and apply it to a blank page in my notebook .

ms1200
January 25, 2003, 03:52 PM
i have a blank notebook for each of my guns.
i record all my load info in them.

dakotasin
January 25, 2003, 07:02 PM
i write everything down.

case brand, weight, and length.
bullet brand, type, and weight.
primer size and type.
powder brand, type, and charge weight.
c.o.l.
group size
average velocity, and standard deviation.

if everything is written down, you'll know exactly how to duplicate that killer load, and you'll know exactly what components don't work well in your rifle...

Gewehr98
January 25, 2003, 07:37 PM
Labels on the ammo boxes, written log book, and a Microsoft Access database:

http://mauser98.com/swissload.jpg

Nanook
January 25, 2003, 07:51 PM
I also came up with a log in Excel which I keep updated. On the bench itself I use a lined notebook I had laying around.

Timothy
January 25, 2003, 08:36 PM
I use the old paper method. I keep a 5x8 notebook tabbed for each caliber. Each section is divided into two parts. One is load data and the other is the range report (performance).
I made up a consecutive coding system for each loading session, which in addition to the recipe, includes the number of times the brass has been loaded. The performance section for each loading session is cross referenced to the load data only by the code number and is completed as I shoot.
Each box of loaded ammo contains a yellow sticky with the code number. When I hit the range with three boxes of ammo I don’t know any more than the code numbers.
What’s the big secret? I know we all keep trying for that “best load” for our pistol and often times before we even shoot it we have convinced ourselves that we have finally developed it. Now we go to the range and do everything just right with regards to firing the pistol. We are extra careful not to make any errors and shoot the best groups we ever have. We pat ourselves on the back for our expertise in load development and tell all our friends.
However, what we don’t know is... was it that “best load” or was it just that we shot well because we tried harder to prove that this was really the “best load”.
This is why I keep it a secret from myself as to what load I’m shooting until I’m finished. I determine which string/strings performed best and then check what the recipe was. This way no load in particular gets preferential treatment.
It’s human nature to try to make what you want to happen...happen.
BTW, I don’t use this method when loads are getting too close to the red zone! I might get the wrong one first.

Jeeper
January 25, 2003, 09:07 PM
Of course all ammo boxes are labeled with bullet type, weight, powder and weight and COAL

I keep a notebook with the data and notes in it. I also stick in good targets behind each caliber.

gewher98
I like that setup you have. I do think you have a little too much time on your hands though. :) You are missing batch number for the powder and bullets though :) :) :neener:

Peter M. Eick
January 25, 2003, 10:55 PM
I use a word documentary on the computer of notes, thoughts, ideas and test comments. I have a word file on each gun that list maintenance, shots fired, conditions, ammo fired and results. I keep all of the load records on an excell database for each caliber and I write down on each box of ammo its contents.

I now am logging the ammo boxes to keep inventory more accurate. For example I now serial number each box. I just loaded 9x72 for 9mm, 72 box of 50 rnds made. This way when I shoot the box out, all I have to do is write the gun and comments on the label and then log it in when I get back from the range.

Loach
January 26, 2003, 02:48 PM
Much like Gewehr98, I use a MS-Access program I designed myself. Both as a convenience for record-keeping and as an exercise in using Access. Here's a shot of the main load data page:

http://www.bellsouthpwp.net/s/t/stuber71/reloader.jpg

WESHOOT2
January 26, 2003, 04:59 PM
LYMAN offers an excellent load log.

griz
January 26, 2003, 09:39 PM
I use a looseleaf notebook and make copies of a computer generated sheet. Across the top are the usual things, date, number of rounds loaded, powder, charge, bullet, etc. Each new batch is recorded on the next line and that allows ditto marks for things like primers or lot numbers.

I also include a comment area and make it as big as possible. In here I put things like powder measure settings, group size, or infrequently comments like TOO HOT!

Captal_de_Buch
January 26, 2003, 09:46 PM
I use an old hardbound lab note book.
I got a bunch of them left over from being a lab technician.

Khornet
January 28, 2003, 08:48 AM
Old hardbound lined notebook. Along with all the usual data, I have a roomy comment section for each load, where I include not just performance results but a bit of a diary: who I was with, who fired what, what was going on in my life and the world. It goes back to 1/88 now, and sometimes I just sit at the bench and browse through it for a trip down memory lane.

PaulS
January 30, 2003, 11:55 PM
I started (30+ years ago) with a blank page notebook. It took me a few years to get down what I was supposed to be recording but when I finally figured it out I just made a master copy and copied it at work. Then I got into programming and wrote a ballistics program and added a database for the load data. Blank forms are for filling in at the range and the recorded data is printed out and put in one of several 2" binders. I can look up any load I ever worked up and see whether I want to make that mistake again. Oh, I also record the results from my facler box firing and have used it to put together expansion and penetration data into my software. The computer predictions are usually within an inch of the actual tests.

PaulS

If you enjoyed reading about "Load Log" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!