FMJ copper vs. nickel jacketed ammo

PDA

Motega
March 1, 2011, 05:53 PM
There is a decent deal on DAG .308 through one of the usual suppliers this week. It is 93-94 vintage. First of all, I think I just conected the dots yesterday that DAG is the same as Dynamit Nobel, my absolute favorite manufacturer of .22 match grade ammo. True? Second, it is listed as magnetic- even though not steel core I assume this poses a higher fire risk? Lastly, what does nickel plated ammo mean for the bore of a non-chromed .308 barrel?
The price is competitive on this ammo - about .39 cents oif purchased in 1000 round quantities and shipped in sealed battle packs.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

If you enjoyed reading about "FMJ copper vs. nickel jacketed ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
stubbicatt
March 2, 2011, 08:07 AM
I remember a squib from one of Fackler's tests on German 7.62 NATO ammo, and the "tombac" bullet being one of those which fragmented or something on impact with the gelatin used in those tests. Supposedly tombac is a very mild steel of which these bullet jackets may have been constructed. When you said that the bullet is magnetic in the DAG ammo I wondered whether it was this ammo that Fackler had tested.

Anyways, hope you enjoy your purchase. At todays price levels, that's not a terrible price either. :)

Motega
March 2, 2011, 08:40 AM
What about lining the bore with nickel vs. copper? does nickel scrub out with regular cleaner? With ammonia based?

longdayjake
March 2, 2011, 11:44 AM
I have no experience with the nickel .308 stuff but I have shot THOUSANDS and thousands of 8mm that had nickel plated steel jackets. I did not notice any more fouling or dificulty in cleaning the guns than I have with copper jackets. I will say though that they will spark when they hit rocks that may be hidden in the range. Our range has gravel mixed in the dirt and when the sun starts going down I can see a lot of sparks coming from the steel jacketed ammo.

Z-Michigan
March 2, 2011, 12:10 PM
I've used a couple hundred rounds of that ammo with no problems. It's known for being accurate and relatively hot. I expect it would be more of a fire hazard if you're in a dry fire-prone area. The "nickel" is I believe actually cupronickel, which was a common jacket material roughly from 1900-1950, and apparently can cause more fouling. I haven't noticed any fouling issues running that ammo in an M1A and FAL, however.

skipbo32
March 2, 2011, 08:13 PM
ive heard that it can get in your rifling, so clean well after shooting.

zstephens13
March 2, 2011, 11:10 PM
I myself just order 1,000 of that ammo. I used it last year too and it is great ammo. The website says its "reloadable." I'm not sure about that but I'm saving my brass anyway.

GCBurner
March 2, 2011, 11:28 PM
I've put a bunch of it through my M14, and it seems to shoot pretty clean, no noticeable fouling in the rifling with my chromed bore. Pretty accurate, too; I ordered more of it.

Z-Michigan
March 3, 2011, 09:05 AM
Most of the DAG is Berdan-primed and is not reloadable with standard tools. Maybe there is some small quantity of Boxer-primed DAG (as there is for Hirtenberger) somewhere.

Motega
March 3, 2011, 07:46 PM
So what kind of ammo or surplus are you reloaders buying then?

Z-Michigan
March 3, 2011, 08:03 PM
Nearly all of the .308 surplus is Berdan primed.

For reasonably priced reloadable .308, consider this new ammo:
PRVI Partizan
Federal, both American Eagle 150gr FMJ and Federal military contract 7.62x51mm is often fairly reasonably priced
Lithuanian GGG, IF you can find it (was common 5-6 years ago)
MKE Turkish ammo imported by ATI (was common about 2 years ago)
Federal 150gr SP hunting ammo at Walmart is often fairly reasonably priced

Motega
March 3, 2011, 08:43 PM
Is it a fact that all PRVI Partizan is boxer primed? I hear good things about it and it seems there is a lot around.

Z-Michigan
March 3, 2011, 09:05 PM
I don't know that 100% of everything PRVI makes is boxer primed, but all that I've ever checked is, and it is generally advertised as being reloadable - boxer primed.

If they make any that is Berdan primed, it would probably be for other calibers, most likely eastbloc cartridges.

If you enjoyed reading about "FMJ copper vs. nickel jacketed ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!