Scope Rings

PDA

grubbylabs
March 1, 2011, 08:50 PM
I have a new Win model 70 what base and or rings do I need?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope Rings" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tim the student
March 1, 2011, 09:42 PM
How much money are you willing to budget?

grubbylabs
March 1, 2011, 10:47 PM
Not much They only need to work, I am not trying to hit a hair on a nat's but at 1,000 yards.

wsm
March 2, 2011, 01:09 PM
Any of the major brands are fine. You can even get them at Wallyworld. You didn't say what scope i.e., 3X9X40, or something a larger objective bell. For a 40MM bell, low rings are the ticket. Most all of the 50MM bells require high rings. I have 2 70s with low rings on both. You bought a fine rifle. Enjoy and Good Shooting.:D

Tim the student
March 2, 2011, 01:32 PM
I'm partial to Warne stuff generally.

I just bought an EGW base, but I haven't used it yet.

Lots of guys seem to like Dead Nutz stuff too.

grubbylabs
March 2, 2011, 03:24 PM
Dothey all mount the same? Or do I need specific style? :confused:

harrygrey382
March 2, 2011, 03:31 PM
If you're asking, the best bet would be to take it a gunsmith, and say please supply the mounts I need to mount this scope on this rifle.

If not, order the correct bases online. So go to eg Warne's site, find the M70 in their base chart, and order those bases from somewhere. Then you need the rings that match those bases, in the size for you scope. So if you choose weaver style bases, you need weaver style rings (Warne, Weaver, Burris Zee, Redfield weaver style etc.). If you scope is 1: tube *x40, you need medium. If it's a *x50 you need high etc..

Tim the student
March 2, 2011, 03:39 PM
You will need ones specific to your rifle. A base made for a Savage won't fit a Winchester. When you look at a site, they will usually list them by gun type.

For example, go to www.midwayusa.com.

From there, go to the optics dropdown menu, and select "Winchester" under the bases/mounts/adapters heading.

Then select your rifle type (which I would assume would be Win 70 s/n 66350 and above) and go from there.

Weaver style rings will fit Picatinny and Weaver bases, but Picatinny rings will not fit Weaver style bases.

chas08
March 2, 2011, 03:41 PM
I'm partial to these Talley one piece ring and base models. I have them on some of my rifles, and wish I had them on all of them. They eliminate one point of possible loosness. Google Talley scope rings and click on one piece rings. But as previously stated, most any will work reasonably well.

USSR
March 2, 2011, 03:57 PM
My hunting M70 uses Weaver bases and the Burris Signature Zee rings with inserts. They securely hold the scope without leaving "ring marks" on the scope tube.

Don

Welding Rod
March 2, 2011, 10:19 PM
I recently mounted up a new Model 70 with Warne bases and rings. Both together come to about $50. The build quality was excellent. They are stout and looked as good as any rings I have seen... Leupold, whatever. Made is USA.

I would not hesitate to buy Warne again.

wsm
March 2, 2011, 11:05 PM
Midsouth Shooters Supply has the best selection and the best prices.:D:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Scope Rings" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!