.45 o SKS for @ $400?

PDA

bk42261
March 1, 2011, 07:58 PM
I will soon be able to buy one or the other, mostly for home defense, and a lot of plinking. I lean toward the .45 for HD, but have always wanted an SKS. Can I reasonably expect to get a reliable .45 in this price range, or should I just buy an SKS?

sorry, .45 handgun 1911 or XD

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 o SKS for @ $400?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
o Unforgiven o
March 1, 2011, 08:00 PM
.45 what?

GCMkc
March 1, 2011, 08:03 PM
I know there are .45's in the $400-500 range but have not had any experience with these. Another thing to consider is that an SKS for home defense isn't all that practical. 7.62x39 bullets will be going through a lot of walls where as .45's are much much slower moving bullets and probably won't have as many penetration issues. Look on gunbroker or budsgunshop.com for some low priced .45's. Hope this helps.

jojo200517
March 1, 2011, 08:05 PM
Eh if I wanted a 7.62x39 caliber weapon for 400 bucks and close HD range and plinking i'd get a cheaper AK instead of an SKS. Just check to make sure sights and gas block are straight, most of the WASR's have improved recently and can be had for right at 400 bucks.

Lots of positive reviews of the RIA .45's in the lower end of the price range like this. For around 500-550 ya can get a PARA GI expert. My only complaint was cheapish factory mags and a couple chip mccormicks worked flawless in it.

(eh crap i assumed by .45 you ment 1911.)

Of course if you want an SKS I suppose ya could get one of them too, I think its kinda sad how the prices have been drove up like madness on them tho.

W L Johnson
March 1, 2011, 08:13 PM
I remember a time when $400 could buy you 8 SKS's.

.45 handgun 1911 or XD
$400 is pretty limiting on those.

LKB3rd
March 1, 2011, 08:33 PM
I think a Used Glock 21 might be in that range. ?
If your budget is strict that alone might push you to the SKS, which you could get with some ammo for $400.

kingpin008
March 1, 2011, 08:57 PM
For home defense, go with a handgun. More maneuverable, and as others mentioned, less issues with bullets overpenetrating.

hso
March 1, 2011, 09:08 PM
Take a look at the inexpensive 1911 threads in Semiautos and you'll find some recommendations at that price. Remember you can get a much better SKS for $400 than you can a 1911 so you may find the better course may be to get an excellent SKS and ammo and save up for a good entry 1911.

NMGonzo
March 2, 2011, 02:27 AM

Because it is the samurai sword of handguns.

Justin
March 2, 2011, 03:36 AM
If money is tight, get something in 9mm. The ammo is a lot cheaper, which will equate to much more trigger time.

makarovnik
March 2, 2011, 04:49 AM
You could get a Hi-Point pistol and one of their carbines both for just a tad over $400. Double the fun.

RancidSumo
March 2, 2011, 04:52 AM
Since you are on a very limited budget, get a 9mm, not a .45. You need to be able to practice to be effective. Look for a used M&P9 or Glock 19/17. You won't get a reliable 1911 for that price.

And don't even consider the Hi-Point for self defense.

makarovnik
March 2, 2011, 04:57 AM
A Hi-Point carbine is probably better for home defense than a SKS would be. I'm just sayin'. The pistols are also cheap plinking fun.

mljdeckard
March 2, 2011, 05:12 AM
I have a 1911 and an SKS. I would not gram the .45 for HD. Do some tests yourself, you will find the penetration is similar. Using a rifle indoors is a matter of learning how to do it correctly.

But I got my SKS for $100, and I put $300 in upgrades on it. You might not be inclined to do that with prices where they are now.

epijunkie67
March 2, 2011, 06:18 AM
Some questions need to be answered. Do you own anything else? How much shooting experience do you have with pistols and rifles. Any reason for an SKS over an AK or used lower end AR? Would you consider one of the pistol caliber carbines like the kel tec or the Hi Point? Do you need or want the range of a rifle? Are you considering concealed carry?

Give us some info and we can direct you a little better.

CoastieShep
March 2, 2011, 06:41 AM
Of your 2 options, the .45 for HD, and the SKS for plinking. .45 ammo isn't exactly cheap.

Storz
March 2, 2011, 08:14 AM
How about a .45 carbine of some sort :)

merlinfire
March 2, 2011, 09:41 AM
How about a .45 carbine of some sort

Might be a good compromise between the two. Hi-Point makes a .45 carbine

CHEVELLE427
March 2, 2011, 09:43 AM
i have both , and would not give my xd45 or 1911 up for a sks.

i would get the 45 and look for a deal down the road for a SKS.

$400 IS A BIT LOW FOR A XD AND A BIT HIGH FOR A SK.

as above HP 45acp carbine is around $350

as i also have a camp 9 and a camp 45acp setting around

my.02

ForumSurfer
March 2, 2011, 10:19 AM
I remember a time when $400 could buy you 8 SKS's.

Me too! And I'm not old! I bought one at roses for $75...$75 got you a "pick of the litter" rifle, a spam can and some "chineses army" doo-dads.

If money is tight, get something in 9mm. The ammo is a lot cheaper, which will equate to much more trigger time.

As your average working class American, I agree. I switched to 9mm and I have gotten in twice the practice time or more for the same $$$$.

CJS06
March 2, 2011, 10:42 AM
If you want a .45 get a Rock Island 1911 Tactical. They are fairly "loaded" as far as beavertail, ambi safety , and decent sights. As far as accuracy, they will shoot as good as you can. You can pick one up for $400 easy. Their finish is not as nice as on a $1k pistol , but they are also easy to customize to make it "your own".
For HD there is nothing like a 230gr JHP. Be careful though 1911s are addictive.
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i407/CSouza06/RIA11.jpg

USAF_Vet
March 2, 2011, 01:06 PM
And don't even consider the Hi-Point for self defense

Um... why?

Wait, before you answer that, have you ever owned one? Fired one enough times to know it inside and out? Even held one?

Practically everyone I've met who knocks Hi Points can not answer yes to any of the above questions with any honesty.

Why do people knock Hi Point?
1) Low price.
A) Hi Point has very limited marketing, which allows for the lower price. The company cost savings here are passed on to the consumer. Advertising is done primarily on a word of mouth basis. Don't think for a minute that the consumer doesn't pay more for a product that is mass marketed.

2) Polymer
A) Glock. 'nuff said. But even moreso, many firearms are being released with polymer frames.

3) Unreliable
A) Unsurpassed warranty.
B) Some of the Hi Points made in the 80's had less than stellar QC. The ones in current production are just fine. The argument that they are unreliable is a myth.

4) Finicky about ammo.
A) So are a lot of guns. My HP will eat anything and keep on going.

5) Criminals use them
A) Criminals also use Beretta, Glock, Sig Sauer, S&W, Ruger, Colt and anything else they can get their hands on, via whatever channels they can utilize.

6) They are ugly.
A) So what? Personal preference based on appearance should be a deciding factor for the individual purchasing the gun, not hearsay on an open internet forum.

7) They are utilitarian
A) again, so what? Does a gun need three different safties, interchangable sight systems, tactical rails or any of the other accoutrement seen on high end, high dollar guns? No.

8) They are heavy
A) not ideal for concealed carry, that is true. But the heavier gun decreases felt recoil. In a .45, I prefer a heavier gun for that very reason.

Any other common complaints against Hi Point I've missed?

To the OP. There are non 1911 style pistols in that price range. I have to ask, like others, why the .45? I hope it isn't because of the myth that the .45 has so much power you can hit a guy in the thumb and spin him around dead. Just simply isn't true.

The SKS is a fun gun, but one I'd only take to the range for plinking. My Father in law has one, which I may get, and I've fired it enough to know I like it, but not for any practical purposes. I wouldn't stake my life on it, so to speak.
The pistol caliber carbine is a good idea. I have a 9mm Hi-Point 995TS and love it. The Kel-Tec SUB-2000 can be had in your price range, but leaves little room for ammo.
The .40 S&W or .45ACP Hi Point carbines are also in your price range, and offer a little more thump than a 9mm. Options abound. I'd recommend flipping through a gun buyers guide and list the firearms you like. You may surprise yourself in the end.

bk42261
March 2, 2011, 02:28 PM
I own, have owned, and fired dozens of firearms, including semiauto pistols, revolvers, bolt action ,semiauto, pump action rifles, and shotguns. I currently have a S & W model 65 (actually belongs to the wife) a Mossberg 500 with 24" slug barrel, and a Ruger Single Six. I have always wanted an SKS just for grins and would really like a .45 for HD and CC purposes. Thanks for asking. It's good to know that most people on this site will actually ask pertinent questions rather than go off on a tangent about caliber vs. caliber or type vs. type.

CoastieShep
March 2, 2011, 04:45 PM
Hey USAF Vet, you forgot their lack of bolt on stuff. :neener:

USAF_Vet
March 2, 2011, 04:49 PM
Hey USAF Vet, you forgot their lack of bolt on stuff.

No I didn't, see #7

7) They are utilitarian
A) again, so what? Does a gun need three different safties, interchangable sight systems, tactical rails or any of the other accoutrement seen on high end, high dollar guns? No.

Although, the carbines are available with 4x scopes, red dot scopes, vert grips, flashlights and lazers. Hand guns* are available with the lazer as well, but the mount for it is awful.

*May not apply to .380 and 9mm (I'd check but for the life of me, I really don't care.) :D

USAF_Vet
March 2, 2011, 04:52 PM
I have always wanted an SKS just for grins and would really like a .45 for HD and CC purposes.

the SKS is a fun gun to shoot, and if thats all you want it for, you'll be happy. I do not recommend a .45 Hi Point for CC, they are drastically too big for that and hard to find many holsters to fit it for CC. Having thrown CC into the mix, I can't say the Hi Point will suit your needs.

nathan
March 3, 2011, 12:49 AM
Plus one on the Rock Island .45 . You can use it as CHL as well although a big gun but with the right holster it can be concealable.

epijunkie67
March 3, 2011, 09:23 AM
Going to have a hard time finding a quality .45 suitable for concealed carry for $400. Not impossible mind you, just difficult.

The shotgun can do home defense duty for now so the real question is do you want a rifle or a concealed carry pistol right now?

mgmorden
March 3, 2011, 04:03 PM
I'd get the .45.

IMHO, having owned one for a while, I just don't like the SKS that much. Accuracy is so-so. Scope-mounting options are fairly gimmicky and limited, and most importantly, that danged thing is HEAVY. It might would help if I removed the folding bayonet (but I'm not gonna because then I'm 93% certain I'd misplace it ;)), but as it is it's just bad. Not just heavy either - I have some other rifles that are just plain heavy, but SKS is heavy AND poorly balanced - it is front-heavy.

Overall, though I know they cost more, I personally see the AR15 as a much MUCH better choice for a semi-auto. When the SKS was $89 (what I paid for mine) and the AR15's were $700+, then it wasn't enough better to care. Now that SKS's have shot up in price though, I just can't see buying one. If I could trade mine for a decent 1911 I would in a heartbeat.

That said, seeing that I did pay $89 for mine, and I'm leaning more and more towards selling it, I guess the recent rise in going price is a good thing :D.

makarovnik
March 3, 2011, 04:39 PM
Yes the Hi-Point .45 is way too big for CC. Heck even their "compact" 9mm is probably too big for CC. But if you want a good inexpensive carbine for home defense OR plinking a Hi-Point fits the bill.

Now if you want an inexpensive handgun for home defense (not CC) then you can do a lot better, but I paid $150 OTD for my Hi-Point .45 and that sucker is reliable and accurate.

For an inexpensive .45 carry option, what about the Patriot made by Cobra?

I was just making the comment that he could have both (easily) for the price he mentioned especially if bought used and didn't need concealed carry. Both would still be covered by warranty.

If you want super high quality and can afford better then the Hi-Point is probably not for you.

ForumSurfer
March 3, 2011, 04:44 PM
When the SKS was $89 (what I paid for mine) and the AR15's were $700+, then it wasn't enough better to care. Now that SKS's have shot up in price though, I just can't see buying one.

Agreed. A bargain bin, blemished AR can be reliable and below $600. Same thing with an AK pattern rifle. Either of which are better balanced than an sks. You can slap some tech sights on the AK just like on the sks. The sks is the only rifle in my safe that I really don't enjoy shooting. I had two spam cans of ammo when I bought two sks rifles when they were well under $100...I still have a can and 1/2 of ammo. I've been thinking of buying a cheap ak and slapping tech sights on it just to burn up the surplus ammo.

csbassplayer2003
March 3, 2011, 05:57 PM
I own both a .45 (used Sig P220) and an SKS (Norinco) as my home defense items. If you are looking for a .45acp pistol for 400 your options will be pretty limited. My SKS cost me 300, but it alreadyy had a detachable mag conversion and the tapco stock installed. An SKS is as accurate as you are. The only limit is the ballistics of the 7.62x39 round. To put things in perspective, my SKS will deliver 3 times the energy as my .45 will. Even on a glancing hit that will take most people out of the fight. My Sig even used was 550. For 400 bucks id look into a good 9mm. Ruger P95 was 330 new. Ive shot these and hey are worth every dime. Only .45 in the 400 range i see is the FNP 45, and even then thats more towards the 500s. Id go with a p95 for 300-350 and the sks you can get for 200-300 if you shop around. For 500 you can get a good defense pistold and rifle that both shoot inexpensive ammo and are just as effective as your shot placemen.

The Real Wyatt
March 3, 2011, 06:30 PM
Here 'ya go!
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/881/products_id/19897

Ultra-reliable high capacity .45 ... right in your price range and brand new.

jiminhobesound
March 3, 2011, 07:43 PM
I have a SKS, I have a tactical shotgun and a 9mm subcompact pistol (amongst other pistols and rifles). The SKS is a 50+ yard gun; the tactical shotgun is for home invaders and some hunting and the pistol is my conceaed carry. However, I may use the pistol before i can get to the shotgun for HD. I agree with the folks saying that the SKS is not a good choice for HD. I also agree that the 9mm may be a better choice because of gun cost and cost of practice.

zoom6zoom
March 3, 2011, 09:16 PM
You CAN spend $400 or more on an SKS, but I would only pay that for certain variants or nationalities. It's still possible to get a decent Yugo for around $289.

ms6852
March 3, 2011, 09:24 PM
I have to agree with most here. Get a handgun, pistol or revolver. SKS velocity on the rounds is to high and you will be penetratings alot of homes down the block. My other recommendation would be for a shot gun in a remington 870 or mossberg 500, which can be had for well below $400.

If you enjoyed reading about ".45 o SKS for @ $400?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!