S&W: I don't understand something about the new Gov...?

PDA

praharin
March 2, 2011, 09:40 AM
I recently got an e mail about the new Governor, and something struck me

Why does a new revolver chambered in three cartridges, including moon clipped .45ACP, cost less than any of their other .45ACP revolvers?

More importantly, why do the other revolvers cost more

[/rhetoric]

Just had to get that off my chest. Feel free to reply in any way you see fit, but understand that I believe I do understand why it costs less.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W: I don't understand something about the new Gov...?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
9mmepiphany
March 2, 2011, 01:06 PM
...because they are trying draw market share?

It is the same as asking why First Class seats on a plane cost more...because you are paying actual cost

dawico
March 2, 2011, 02:11 PM
Because they are trying to go head to head with Taurus. S&W doesn't have to do that with their other guns, just this new one that is a copy of the Taurus.

I don't know when that market niche will be filled, but they better hurry in my opinion.

PapaG
March 2, 2011, 09:36 PM
I'd guess that there isn't quite the attention to tolerance either...bet they won't group any better than the Tauri. Kind of hard to get accuracy with a bullet if it has to go two or more inches, gathering steam, before it hits the forcing cone and then the rifling.

I know...not intendedd for accuracy. But if you don't have to worry about it, you don't have to hold the tolerances on cylinder throats, barrel/cylinder gap, or other minor things.

I hope it works out and I hope I'm wrong. I have a Judge. I like it some but it is still a one trick pony, close, really close range defense or maybe two tricks...snakes, but I don't have any dangerous snakes here in Illinois.

ljnowell
March 2, 2011, 09:56 PM
snakes, but I don't have any dangerous snakes here in Illinois.

Sure you do, you just dont see them.

mes227
March 3, 2011, 12:45 AM
I know...not intendedd for accuracy. But if you don't have to worry about it, you don't have to hold the tolerances on cylinder throats, barrel/cylinder gap, or other minor things.

And that makes all the difference in the world! Without tolerances it's just a hunk of steel. So backing off on the machining tolerances even a few thousands trims a big percentage of the production costs. That it chambers three rounds doesn't affect cost (my Single Six chambers 4).

Phydeaux642
March 3, 2011, 12:59 AM
snakes, but I don't have any dangerous snakes here in Illinois.

I thought Rahm Emanuel was just elected mayor of Chicago?

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W: I don't understand something about the new Gov...?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!