Where/how would I go about getting a "training replica" made out of my pistol?

PDA

mustang_steve
March 2, 2011, 01:25 PM
I have a few uncommon handguns that I'd like to have holsters made from, however I do not want to do through the cost/hassle of mailing the firearm itself to the holster makers. A scale near-exact replica would be far cheaper and easier to ship around.

I've tried to figure out how to make a quality replica, like a "Blue Gun", but haven't really gotten anywhere. That said, is there any companies that make replicas on demand, or has anyone here made their own? I've already checked the main manufacturers, and they don't have anything even close to these pistols (a SCCY and an Astra Cub).

Such a replica could be good for draw practice as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where/how would I go about getting a "training replica" made out of my pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ldsgeek
March 2, 2011, 01:48 PM
Check for a local prototype shop with a 3D scanner. They should be able to make a CAD model which you could have printer out of plastic on one of these (http://dimensionprinting.com/). I have a model for the 1911 full size and P-08 Luger here, I work on these for a living and many places run them for job shop work. You can also send the model to Redeye (http://redeyeondemand.com), another division of Stratsys.

dawico
March 2, 2011, 02:06 PM
I would try to find a local holster maker. That may be the easiest way to go, unless you have someone specific in mind to make them. That solution doesn't help with a practice replica though.

jcwit
March 2, 2011, 03:54 PM
Google ASP training pistols, or just google training pistols, all kinds of info.

Trebor
March 2, 2011, 04:29 PM
You could resin cast using your pistols to make the molds. It would be kinda pricey to buy all the necessary materials and equipment though, and the result will be slightly undersized.

EmGeeGeorge
March 2, 2011, 05:54 PM
Uh, the Astra is basically the same as a Colt Junior .25... that may help some, and the SCCY pistol is basically a Keltec P11... may wanna take your pistoles to a gunshop that has a Keltec p11 and compare, and the Astra I am almost 100 percent certain that it and the Junior are identical, other than markings... and some internals...

Getting a mock up made seems potentially expensive and time consuming... that being said, check out some of the movie magic supply places, for DIY body parts molds...

http://www.blueguns.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=30&cat=Raven

Not exactly a junior but if you practicing retention, etc. it'd prolly do good for a mock up...

mustang_steve
March 2, 2011, 06:08 PM
The astra is a Colt Junior, just not ridiculously overpriced for sake of the brand name. Sadly I don't see any holsters for Colt Juniors either....nor the rather famous Colt vest Pocket Hammerless. The Hammerless is not 100% compatible with the Junior though...it's compatible right up to the back of the triggerguard, then the guns are quite different. The Cub .25auto and Colt Junior are 100% part compatible.

The SCCY and P11 have some differences that makes the SCCY incompatible with KT holsters, but KT compatible with SCCY holsters. SCCY has a new pistol, the CPX2, that just needs the slide stop lever cut down to be compatible, but the older CPX1 needs the safety levers removed as well as a cut slide stop lever to fit properly...this creates problems since the safety lever assembly retains the pin that the hammer is connected to. I'm trying to get a CPX2 grip so I can do a conversion, but that's proving about as difficult as just getting a holster.

Shadow 7D
March 2, 2011, 07:17 PM
look up
BLUE GUN
somebody already beat you to it, there is a plastic gun for most every one,
that said, I was thinking about getting an Airsoft replica to practice draw-fire with.

mustang_steve
March 2, 2011, 07:29 PM
I've already checked out the red/blue guns...ironically they have a Raven/Davis/Cobra .25auto, but nothing similar to either pistols I'm looking for.

It seems those red/blue guns are only made in common law enforcement/notable historic models.

Shadow 7D
March 2, 2011, 09:06 PM
Well, then buy plaster and plastic resin (or go hy-tek and make it carbon fiber) cast the gun then drill and spring the trigger

Or look for a Airsoft model.
http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?56349-Kel-Tec-Trainer
here is a thread similar to yours.

mustang_steve
March 2, 2011, 09:14 PM
That's what I figured I'd have to do...now to just figure out how to make the molds without screwing anything up.

I heard a vacuum-sealer method that seemed pretty neat. I did hear the result was a little smaller than the gun, so maybe if I use an extra thick bag, or double-bag it it may work out.

Shadow 7D
March 2, 2011, 09:21 PM
Michael's or a hobby store, there are ways to do it, I even heard of a method to use release on the gun, then silicone, then back it with plaster.

9mmepiphany
March 2, 2011, 11:33 PM
FWIW: the 3D printers are very cool to see work (I was at a trade show) and would give you a very accurate model

If you enjoyed reading about "Where/how would I go about getting a "training replica" made out of my pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!