Ct high cap mag ban?

PDA

george d dennis
March 3, 2011, 08:27 AM
just got a email from hoffmans gun center. a state senator looney has
introduced a bill to ban all magazines over 10 rounds. if you are in
possession of high capacity magazines it will be a felony. in the bill
it state that all high capacity magazines are to be turned in.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ct high cap mag ban?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bikerdoc
March 3, 2011, 08:32 AM
This forum is dedicated to activism to promote the RKBA.

It is the place to share with others the actions you have taken on behalf of RKBA or to propose actions on behalf of RKBA.

actions taken or proposed on behalf of RKBA means that your post must describe an action taken or propose a plan of action on behalf of RKBA or it will be deleted.

OK now what is your plan of action

Sam1911
March 3, 2011, 08:45 AM
Move to "Activism Discussion" until there is a plan developed...

TexasRifleman
March 3, 2011, 08:59 AM
in the bill
it state that all high capacity magazines are to be turned in.

Which pretty much reduces the chance of it passing to zero so it's good at least that he's a lunatic.

MikePaiN
March 3, 2011, 04:33 PM
CT has gone crazy. There is also a bill about to voted on(HB 5800) to force "registration" of all firearms in the state and in it is a stop to private firearms sales....
My state reps are getting earfull and locally most gun owners seem to be lit up and in action of somekind...We better make a difference, this time.

FruitCake
March 3, 2011, 04:36 PM
It has been proposed, it still has to be voted on.
I've already voiced my opinion to my local rep.
I suggest you do the same.

rajb123
March 3, 2011, 04:56 PM
I think NY is considering this too....

How is this proposal different from the federal law (Clinton/Brady) on high-cap mags that expired during Bush#2?

kirklandkie
March 3, 2011, 06:18 PM
it's different because all existing high-cap magazines must be turned in within 90 days of passage..... with no compensation either

-kirk

MikePaiN
March 3, 2011, 07:39 PM
I've already voiced my opinion to my local rep.
I suggest you do the same.
Really, I've e-mailed as many as I possibly can...and have been activity posting locally, in addition to writing everyone I know to drum up opposition.
I suggest you do the same....

george d dennis
March 3, 2011, 08:05 PM
just sent emails to the state rep and state senator. in his bill , the law a bidding
person will become the felon.

gyvel
March 4, 2011, 07:35 AM
Isn't there some provision in the laws of this land somewhere about no confiscation without just compensation?

mgmorden
March 4, 2011, 04:39 PM
Isn't there some provision in the laws of this land somewhere about no confiscation without just compensation?

Typically doesn't apply to contraband. If this passed taking your magazines would be pretty much the legal equivalent of them confiscating the drugs when busting a meth lab.

IdahoSkies
March 4, 2011, 07:04 PM
Tell your representatives that it raises the issue of whether a "taking" will occur. This will invitie litigation, as well as call into question the constitituionality of it. Explain that that will require state and county attorney time and cost money which the state can ill afford at this time with budgets being bad.

The bill invites litigation and therefore will cause a lot of problems.

Another avenue to take then simply the "we should have 10+ round magazines." Questions of whether the bill is constitutional sometimes carries more weight than what the actual bill is. Ask for an Attorney General opinion if you can, that might slow things up.

PowerJoker6.0
March 4, 2011, 08:20 PM
emails sent... all it does is sign me up for their crummy mailing list so their propaganda gets sent to me weekly...

george d dennis
March 5, 2011, 08:55 AM
already they tell us what rifles we can own. theres like 21-22 on the list we cant
have. the politicans are only out for themselves. all they care about is votes .
they would sell there soul if they could. always the law abidding
citizens pay the price. i did write to the state senator and rep and did not receive
anything back yet even acknowledging it.

PowerJoker6.0
March 5, 2011, 02:23 PM
really? i only knew of 7.62 AK's, what else is on said list?

N003k
March 5, 2011, 03:29 PM
Powerjoker, this link: http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/pub/Chap943.htm#Sec53-202a.htm shows the states AWB, the first section is firearms banned by name, the rest is the conditions under which a rifle, shotgun, or pistol become assault weapons.

PowerJoker6.0
March 5, 2011, 03:36 PM
wow thats BS i never knew that.

N003k
March 5, 2011, 03:41 PM
Probably because for the MOST part that section has almost no weight. Most guns on that list are only banned if produced by the specific manufacturer and under the specific name on that list. It's easy not to realize colt AR15 sporters are illegal, when every gunshop has tons of AR's on the wall. The main problem IS the AK section, as that just says "AK-47 Type".

george d dennis
March 5, 2011, 04:24 PM
list has been put up.

CTGunner
March 5, 2011, 05:38 PM
Does anyone have a draft of a letter that can be sent to a representative?

george d dennis
March 5, 2011, 08:29 PM
i just did a search and emailed each one. as far as i know no letter has been drafted.

CTOldCorps
March 7, 2011, 01:50 PM
It's sad when moving to NY looks good.

NinjaFeint
March 7, 2011, 02:39 PM
Which pretty much reduces the chance of it passing to zero so it's good at least that he's a lunatic.
I have to agree but I have been emailing my local reps

benEzra
March 8, 2011, 08:40 PM
How is this proposal different from the federal law (Clinton/Brady) on high-cap mags that expired during Bush#2?
The 1994 AWB allowed magazines manufactured prior to 9/94 to be freely imported, bought, sold, transferred, stockpiled, gifted, whatever. No restrictions at all. Which is why 30-round AK magazines were even cheaper during the non-ban than they are now.

A lot of these new bans actually (1) halt new importation, sale, or transfer, and (2) are ultimately confiscatory. That is a huge, huge step beyond the 1994 Feinstein law.

For those reading this thread who aren't in CT, keep an eye on your own state's reps. The Bradyites, even marginalized as they are, are trying to get similar bills introduced wherever they can.

arcticap
March 28, 2011, 10:26 AM
Here's an excerpt from an article about a legislative public hearing where some convincing arguments were voiced, and also related poll results which show that at 91% to 9%, the public opposition to the ban is overwhelming

State gun bills opposed strongly at public hearing

By Kenton Robinson

Publication: The Day
Published 03/24/2011 12:00 AM
Updated 03/24/2011 04:14 AM

Hartford - Gun advocates turned out in force Wednesday to tell legislators what they thought of a proposed law that would ban large-capacity ammunition magazines.

Hearing Room 2C was filled to overflowing by a vociferous crowd that often invoked the Second Amendment in telling the Judiciary Committee they opposed the bill.......

......."I've had a lot of law enforcement officers … in the community contact me and state that they have concerns with this taking away their Second Amendment rights," said state Rep. Chris Coutu, R-Norwich. "I've heard that over and over from about a dozen members of the law enforcement community."

Coutu brought up the case of U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona, who was shot at a public appearance in January. While she and 13 other people were wounded, another six were killed.

"I think this bill really comes down to Representative Giffords of Arizona," he said. "It seems far too often there's a quick reaction to an incident that happened somewhere in the country, and I think this bill is that quick reaction and the bill hasn't been thought out well."

Others who testified were more vehement in their opposition.......

http://www.theday.com/article/20110324/NWS12/303249344/1018

PowerJoker6.0
March 28, 2011, 06:57 PM
damn i am mad i missed that assembly i would have definitely gone. did any of you guys go???

found this on the courant this morning...

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editorials/hc-ed-ammo-clip-ban-20110325,0,921007.story

george d dennis
March 28, 2011, 08:13 PM
watched it on t.v all day. now lets wait for a decision. i had sent chris coutu a letter
in a email. i received one back the next day. he stated he backed the second amendment.
also there was speakers from ruger, colt, magazine manufacturers. to just name a few.
try looking up ct sportsman.com alot of good things on there.

PowerJoker6.0
March 29, 2011, 07:27 PM
i am going to send chris coutu an email thanking him actually

george d dennis
March 29, 2011, 07:55 PM
i saved the letter from chris , i had received it the next day. the same time i sent
a letter to a state senator and never received anything back. chris came through.
nice guy. i believe hes a vet also. might of did some time in iraq.

PowerJoker6.0
March 30, 2011, 06:11 AM
air force vet and yes i believe you are correct he did serve in iraq 2

Dr_B
April 7, 2011, 01:10 AM
A fresh, steaming pile from the Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sen-frank-lautenberg/post_1905_b_845590.html

FIVETWOSEVEN
April 13, 2011, 05:56 PM
Is it just me or does that list ban firearms that are only collectables? Seriously, a FAMAS? Aren't there just a handfull of them here in this country?

george d dennis
April 16, 2011, 01:56 PM
high capacity ban died in house!
www.courant.com

its under the section politics!

PowerJoker6.0
April 16, 2011, 04:08 PM
thank god

If you enjoyed reading about "Ct high cap mag ban?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!