Excessive range fees?

PDA

rajb123
March 3, 2011, 09:00 AM
My nearest rifle range is 30 miles away and is run by the state.

Fees are $22 per hour for high powered center fire rifles and $12 per hour for rim fire.

Does this seem really high to you?

If you enjoyed reading about "Excessive range fees?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
March 3, 2011, 09:09 AM
Yes, I could not afford to shoot at those prices....I have a public range in the National Forest about 10 miles from me. It is good out to 100 yards, is covered, and has nice benchs. It is free, but often crowded. I belong to a private club with a covered 150 yard shoot anything range, 100 yard covered .22 range, handgun range, trap range, and stocked fishing ponds. It sets me back 110 bucks a year. I can go there nearly any week day and have the place to myself and often times be alone on weekends.

jsnake
March 3, 2011, 09:16 AM
Sounds like IWLA in Cburg VA. Fellow member here.
Joe

WNTFW
March 3, 2011, 09:21 AM
It seem high to me, not knowing about the range.

Each range I go to has a different fee structure. Some are join and use all you want. Some are join & pay roughly half. Guest fees and policies vary.

I am a lifetime member at an indoor range. It cost me $10 to walk in. It doesn't matter if I stay less than an hour or all day. Non member gets the same deal for $20.

We have some public ranges that are on WMA's. One is $6 and you need a current hunt/fish license. Cheapest license is a cane pole license for $3.29ish, which you have to get direct from LADWF.

Most private outdoor ranges here can be joined for $100-150 a year plus about another hundred the first year. They vary be how nice the facility is and how long the range is.

Distance from home is also a factor. How crowded a range can be a big factor. Safety can be worth a few extra dollars since it is priceless. So looking at the fee by itself is not the only basis. A pellet trap at home allows me to shoot often with little extra expense.

bdbecker
March 3, 2011, 09:26 AM
Excessive? I suppose it all depends on where you live. Here in SD, open land is not at a premium, and many shooters have acres of land where they can setup their own home ranges, and they'll let their friends shoot there for free.

For us 'townys' there is a range that costs $25 a year. Granted, its not the highest end facility (basically a pile of dirt, some homebuilt benches, and a target board), but its great to go get some trigger time out to 100 yards and is only a 5 mile drive from my house. The best part is that it is never busy - I've only encountered two other shooters when I've gone down there, and we're always good about taking our turns at the various distances.

The other range in my area (about 25 miles away) is $50 a year and they have a much nicer setup with a 200 yard rifle range, a 100 yard range, and a dedicated pistol/rimfire rifle area. I'm thinking about joining that one as well just so I can work my Remington at the 200 yard distance.

451 Detonics
March 3, 2011, 09:41 AM
State Ranges in Indiana are free so I suppose any fee would seem high to me, $22 an hour seems exorbitant. The private club I belong to is only $25 a year.

Tim the student
March 3, 2011, 09:47 AM
Yeah, seems high to me. Way too high.

I have two free public ranges within about 20 minutes of my house.

Got another one about an hour away.

j2crows
March 3, 2011, 06:46 PM
I pay $6.00 for all day. That includes 1 target.

peptoe
March 3, 2011, 07:04 PM
Here in the Portland, Oregon area the only large one is around $400 a year with outdoor from 25-300 yards, plus indoor range 25-50, trap and skeet. The rest are more pretty outragous.

newfalguy101
March 3, 2011, 07:34 PM
I have 2 different private ranges within 50 miles of me, the closest is $35/year, BUT, you have to call ahead so the guy who owns it can unlock it, which wouldnt be a big deal, except I had a hard time actually getting ahold of anyone.

The other is $65/year with a $60 "initiation fee" the first year, its a 50 meter indoor range with pay-to-play lighting AND a 225 yard outdoor range also with pay-to-play lighting AND a shotgun range. They give you the combunation to the front gate which is the same as the indoor range. Its essentially open 24/7/365............if it werent 50 miles away, I would have used it considerably more!!

Now, we are looking at a newer house in a town that will put me 11 miles from the family farm...........so FREE range for me!!!! :neener: :neener:

Ronsch
March 3, 2011, 08:10 PM
Our local outdoor range is free, donations accepted, as it is on Borough (sort of like a county down in the Lower 48) land.

The State range is indoors and the prices for an hour are about $7.00 with a discount for Hunter Education instructors (since it is technically in the "Hunter Education" facility) is about $5.00 per hour. It has 7 lanes, and the target hangars are manually operated pulley and cable, crank-handled affairs.

But it is only 5 years old, so it is in really great shape. Some odd hours, though, contingent on HE classes and scheduled uses by user groups.

CoastieShep
March 3, 2011, 08:12 PM
My range doesn't charge for active duty military, which saves me $14 all you can shoot.

iamkris
March 3, 2011, 08:30 PM
My range is $140 per year for my entire family. Let yourself in with a keycard. Indoor pistol range, outdoor pistol range with steel and bowling pins, 3 rifle bays up to 100 yards. 3 trap and 2 skeet fields ($5 a round). Archery walk. Fishing on a good salmon river. Only down sides are that they don't allow .50 BMG and the rifle bays are only 100 yards...wish we had longer range.

prid93
March 3, 2011, 08:36 PM
The NYS run range 30 minutes from me is $7/hr for rimfire, $12/hr for centerfire large bore. I'm also a part of a rod and gun club in upstate NY for when I'm up there that is $25 a year. I much prefer the upstate range as I'm generally the only one there, which is nice.

joeq
March 3, 2011, 08:40 PM
My local range charges $14 an hour. We don't have any free ranges in central Texas. I'm not even aware of any free ranges in Texas. Being charged that much per hour does put a hamper on how much I'm able to shoot. They want $400 for a yearly membership. I have other priorities before I can shell out $400 for a membership. By the way, this is a poorly lit 100 yard indoor range with ten lanes and no rapid fire. Austin is not a great place to live for shooters. I generally just drive out to Kerrville to shoot at a buddy's ranch for free, but that's a two hour drive.

Caliper_RWVA
March 3, 2011, 08:54 PM
Around here, the only ranges I have seen that charge hourly are indoors (about $15/hour). Outdoor ranges I have been to are $4-7 per shooter per day.

Motega
March 3, 2011, 08:55 PM
No WAY that is expensive... East Coast NY/NJ is $25 an hour ... and they are pretty brutal with keeping track.. example I went to break in a muzzleloader on a summer day the whole place was empty and I explained I would only actually be on the range for a few shots and the rest of the time cleaning inbetween shots and they charged me for every second even when I was outside scrubbing the barrel... insurance is horrendous for these places and they pass the buck!

Toforo
March 3, 2011, 09:40 PM
My nearest rifle range is 30 miles away and is run by the state.
Fees are $22 per hour for high powered center fire rifles and $12 per hour for rim fire.
Does this seem really high to you?

Which state?
(that'd be expensive here in MO but CHEAP for maybe Chicago, NY, LA - etc)

Ranges here in MO that are run by the state on state lands are generally free

(DANG I LOVE living here more and more EVERY day)

:D

Cal-gun Fan
March 3, 2011, 09:44 PM
We pay $10. As long as benches are free we can use two, if we want. Targets out to 300 yards. We can have a couple targets, they aren't really stringent on that. Same with sandbags, we can just grab however many bags or stands we need.
22 bucks an hour? Yikes!

THE DARK KNIGHT
March 3, 2011, 09:47 PM
Unfortunately, lack of competition in range facilities usually leads to awful results. There's a range here in NJ (Bullet Hole in Belleville) that is 25 yards, indoor, some ports are pistol/rimfire only and a couple ports they allow shotguns and rifles. They charge something like $18 an hour?

And there is typically a line out the door and 2+ hour wait times there on the weekend.

I drive an hour away to a club out of state where I pay $30/year for a 100 yard rifle range, informal range, pistol and rimfire range.

Hanzo581
March 3, 2011, 09:50 PM
This is severely dependent on where you live. For a basic pistol range here it is between $10-$20, usually for as long as you want unless people are waiting to shoot. The outdoor range closest to me is strictly hourly, but you can always get an unlimited yearly membership for $600.....I don't go there very often.

belercous
March 3, 2011, 10:25 PM
My range fees are $50.00/yr. since they raised them. We have trap, skeet, 50, 100, 200 yd. rifle with tables, 25 & 13 yd. pistol and indoor bowling pin lanes. We also have an area for bow & arrow. So I'd say yes, you have some excessive range fees.

psyshack
March 3, 2011, 10:58 PM
My local range is a local wildlife game area. You buy a hunting lic. every year and shoot till you can't stand it anymore. The ranges are shut down for two weeks or so during deer hunting season. They have a 250 yard range and 100 yard. You can go to Tulsa and get bent over if you want.

bigalexe
March 3, 2011, 11:08 PM
The club I am a member of has the following fee structure.

Membership: $75.00 annual, +$35 the first year. Includes unlimited usage of the 100 yd. outdoor rifle/pistol range usage. No RSO's on duty most of the time, exception is during the few weekends preceding Deer Season we have Sight-In where the range is open to public and RSO's are on duty. Members are asked to also donate $5 during this period. Also free usage of archery barn if you can track down the guy with the key.

Non-Member: $5.00 a day for same range, must be with a member. Our range is never "Open" publicly except when stated.

As far as the leagues are concerned members get discounts for league shoots. I can't recall what trap & sporting clays costs per round but members pay half price.

A ways down the road another club charges $15 a day for rifle range usage to non-members. I haven't shot trap there so I don't know what it costs.

mgmorden
March 3, 2011, 11:33 PM
Definately high. I have two free ranges within 6-8 miles of me, but they are often crowded (like most free ranges are).

There's an indoor range with 15-yard and 25 yard lanes that I go to after work sometimes. It's $5/day or $125 per year.

There's also a club/outdoor range that is nearby. It's $150 per year which is reasonable, but there's a $500 induction fee which I just ain't paying.

Thlax
March 4, 2011, 12:47 AM
Local indoor is $15-17 to shoot. Dont think there is a time limit. Never tested it.
Local outdoor (under a roof though!) is $2.50/half hour so I use that. Shooting while under cover while it's raining around you and only 1-2 other people else there is awesome :)

clem
March 4, 2011, 01:04 AM
Eight bucks for non-members to shoot all day.

http://www.tucsonrifleclub.org/

rocky branch
March 4, 2011, 01:27 AM
My fees are about 300 per month.
That includes ownership of 30 acres with a pond and some bulidings on a dead end road. I make my own rules.

I have buds that can come out and shoot if they please.

We have a good time.

MarkDozier
March 4, 2011, 01:43 AM
wow I am blessed of God. i am right between 2 ranges. 10 miles onr way, 15 the other.
R1 - 60 a yr. weds - sunday hours on thursday and sunday are a bit short but 4 - 8 on thursday night brings out a lot of shooters.

R2 - 7/365 with key card i shoot from 7 am to 10 pm except for maintence and matches.
you own it you can shoot it open to public 11-7 mon-fri, 8-4 sat, sun 15 bucks for public. members shot free

Shadow 7D
March 4, 2011, 02:40 AM
Wow, that makes me kinda happy I live near the range I do, It's club owned, and you can buy one day membership (guess the had some issues with selling it by the hour)
Or, you can join the club, first year buy in is more expensive that the renew from what I have been told, some years are more expensive than others, but it has over 33 bays plus world class shotgun ranges (I don't do that so I don't know) I think there is an additional charge for shotgun per the game to cover the clays. But it you go on a good day, you can rub shoulders with Olympians.

Full membership gets you in all 7 days, instead of Thursday, Friday, and the weekend.

RIATAC45
March 4, 2011, 02:49 PM
Wow we have it good then, our dues are $120 per year. We have a 50 yard pistol range, a 3 acre clay range, a 50 yard rimfire range, a 200 yard, a 400 yard, and a 600 yard rifle range. The hours are 7 am till dark 7 days a week.

oneounceload
March 4, 2011, 03:49 PM
When I lived out West, the city had a public park set up for shooting - no cost at all...........of course the yahoos would bring glass bottles and shoot the building structures, but it was fixed via tax dollars for everyone - had covered rifle, silhouette area, covered pistil, and machinegun sections - very nice indeed

JoelSteinbach
March 4, 2011, 04:02 PM
The Chattanooga Rifle club is a great place to shoot, any thing from rimfire to 50BMG, Dues run about $100. per year but as a senior I pay only $25.

Blue .45
March 4, 2011, 09:36 PM
I can shoot all day for $10 if I go on Friday, when it's half price.

cleardiddion
March 4, 2011, 10:10 PM
Most range fees seem excessive to me.
I used to shoot at the local county range for 5 bucks a day but they doubled that.
10 bucks doesn't seem bad for the most part unless you're on a college budget and then figure in gas/ammo.

clancy12
March 5, 2011, 12:05 AM
The range I'm a member at is $45 for a family for the entire year. This includes a trap range, 25 yd pistol, 50, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yd rifle ranges. $45 for all of this makes hundreds of dollars for a pistol range seem insane. Gotta love living in the middle of nowhere with lots of open land!!

jim243
March 5, 2011, 01:14 AM

For a range run by the State (???) it does seem high, but what is the condition of the range, what do they offer as to amenities, how many employees do they have, what part of the country are they in, is the cost of living higher than in other states (like CA or NY) how many hours are they open to the public, how many days. And on and on and on.

Is it excessive, ???? I don't know. What is it worth to you to be able to go there and unpack you car, van or truck and go shoot?? You don't cut the grass, repair the roads, patch the fences, pick up the garbarge on the ground, dig the lead out of the ground twice a year (EPA regs), paint the buildings, heat the offices or buildings, plow the snow, pay for the tractors and equipment to keep up the range, pay the salaries of the SO and ROs.

So I would say NO it is not excessive.
Jim

Gouranga
March 5, 2011, 08:18 AM
I thought mine was high. We have an indoor range near us, only indoor pistol range in the county. it is $10 for half hour - 15 per hour per person

We got gold membership for $299 a year which has already paid for itself this year. We get 1 get free per visit. Free use of rentals, 15% discount on ammo and cost plus 10% on all firearms.

northark147
March 6, 2011, 11:07 AM
I guess I'm a lucky one. I can shoot a little pistol in my own back yard. If I want to shoot pistol long enough to give neighbors headaches, or do a little rifle plinking. I can drive 3 miles to the end of a road my buddy owns the land around and use however much road I want. If I want benches and the like, there is a free national forest range 35 miles from me that hardly ever sees more than 5 people at a time, and most days is deserted. The national forest range also happens to be on my way to and from work :D

xfyrfiter
March 6, 2011, 06:18 PM
My club is $100 per year for NRA members, family membership. 100 yd benchrest range, 7 rimfire and pistol ranges, indoor pistol , trap, 700 yd. range that has target boards every 100 yds.out to 300 then silouettes at 4,5,6,and 700. just lucky I guess.

NMGonzo
March 6, 2011, 07:25 PM
I pay $6.00 for all day. That includes 1 target.

and it is pretty well managed

now ... if they could turn the wind off, that would be great.

ms6852
March 6, 2011, 09:12 PM
I pay $100 per year and can take my wife and children 7 days a week has a couple of lanes for 200 yards few 100 yards 50 and 25 to include few pistol ranges which you walk up to the targets. Great people work and run this place.

alsaqr
March 7, 2011, 07:07 AM
i pay no range fees. Much of my shooting is done on the private weapons range at Ft. Sill. There is a range to 225 yards on one of our properties, but the place is 75 miles from home. A friend has a range to 100 yards on his rural property that i sometimes use.

RevDerb
March 7, 2011, 08:10 AM
Yes, it does seem high. That being said, I'll bet there is not more than 1 out of 20 privately owned ranges that are doing any better than breaking even on their range time charges. We have no idea what the overhead costs are for such a business. I could not afford to shoot at a range at those prices but I understand what owners have to do to pay the bills.

Oops! I totally missed the part about the range being owned by the state. No wonder it's so high! Do you really expect something that is run by the government to be affordable to Joe Citizen?:uhoh:

dirtykid
March 7, 2011, 01:12 PM
Yea , state-run is NOT the way to go,, i couldnt imagine the clusterfu#@ if our state tried to open a range,, our private-owned range has for rifles,200,100 and 50-yard targets 2-pistol plate lanes 4-pistol lanes with adjustable range targets,about 3-acres of skeet-shooting area and an indoor handgun range,, my fee's just went up this year to $50, and that covers the entire family and 1-"guest" per visit... otherwise non-members pay $10 for all-day fun !! open 9am (10am sunday's) till dusk ,, sometimes the target backers get beat up so bad theres more splinters than wood to staple targets to , and not everybody brings their mom with them to clean-up after themselves, but for the price i'll live with it !!!

TheCracker
March 7, 2011, 03:24 PM
Wow those seem outrageous to me! I'm on a shooting club that cost $75 a year. You get a combination and come and go as you please. Shooting times are 30 min after sunrise to 30 min before sunset.

All ranges are outdoor but have covered shooting areas and concrete or wood benches.

50 meter .22 range.
25 yard pistol range
Self defense pistol rang with target stands for human size targets.
100 yard rifle range
Long range rifle with benches at 200, 300, 500 and 550 yards
Plinking pit where you can shoot anything
Shooting clays area with skeet throwers.
100 yard competition range without benches.(they use the little metal targets sitting on railroad ties)
There is even a 50 yard pistol range that stays locked unless there is a competition going on.
Indoor restrooms!
And even a covered pick-nick area with tables and a huge BBQ Pitt!!!

Pretty freekin awesome to me! It's gets a little busy on Saturday's but I've never had to wait for a bench to open up. If I go during the week I basically have the place to myself.

I couldn't imagine paying 20 something an hour and would not shoot nearly as much as I do now if I had to.

GuyOnTheCouchNY
March 7, 2011, 03:31 PM
Nope. The closest range to me was a $300 membership fee +$30 to walk in the door the other rane is 22.50 an hour. If I go alone I usually spend atleast 50 bucks at the range. Haven't been to the 22.50 an hour range yet.

If you enjoyed reading about "Excessive range fees?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!