AR-15 Maintenance

PDA

buzzg
March 6, 2011, 12:12 PM
Does anyone know of a fool proof procedure for cleaning the gas tube on an AR-15? Appreciate any info.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 Maintenance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lakedaemonian
March 6, 2011, 01:01 PM
Soak in powder solvent then pull a shoelace through it. Or perhaps a .17 bore snake if it fits. I personally havent tried either, I just install a new gas tube.

mc223
March 6, 2011, 01:03 PM
Shoot the rifle.

Sky
March 6, 2011, 01:17 PM
Agree you may do more damage than help if you try to clean. Many ARs need the carbon build up to help seal the gas tube to the barrel. Unless you have it off to begin with leave it alone. Tens of thousands of rounds leave it alone it is pretty much self cleaning.

Ithaca37
March 6, 2011, 01:25 PM
No need to clean the gas tube. Just leave it be.

buzzg
March 6, 2011, 01:27 PM
I'd heard or read about 15 different scenarios/methods. I think leaving it alone sounds the best. I'm not having any malfunction problems. Thanks for clearing that up.

Chris Rhines
March 6, 2011, 02:05 PM
The gas tube does not, ever, need to be cleaned. Leave it alone.

-C

HorseSoldier
March 6, 2011, 02:12 PM
+1. What he said. Nothing good can come of that.

Ditch-Tiger
March 6, 2011, 03:27 PM
My first AR (used) would not cycle so i pulled the gas tube and sprayed a can of break cleaner through it and brushed it w/pipe cleaners. After reassembly, it ran like a top.

But...unless something is wrong, leave it alone.

steven58
March 6, 2011, 04:19 PM
From my Basic Training cadre in 84 and from every knowledgeable person since I have heard the same thing:

As a part of normal PMCS

"NEVER PUT ANYTHING IN THE GAS TUBE! DO NOT CLEAN THE GAS TUBE!"

You should run a pipe cleaner through the gas key on the bolt carrier though.

Ala Dan
March 6, 2011, 06:59 PM
If you are a civilian, and don't shoot thousands of rounds on a regular basis;
then, its best too leave the gas tube alone~! You could do harmful damage
if you clean an AR's gas tube regularly~! :uhoh: :eek:

JDMorris
March 6, 2011, 07:08 PM
Take a syringe and inject Kroil into it, and make sure you let it drain out, usually just shooting it fixes problems.

xfyrfiter
March 6, 2011, 07:13 PM
50,000 psi + is a pretty good cleaner

If you enjoyed reading about "AR-15 Maintenance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!