Cheapest AR style pistol

PDA

mopar92
March 6, 2011, 12:30 PM
Is anybody else in the Rock River short/stockless style pistols? Attractive, but man, $1400ish.????

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheapest AR style pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
buzzg
March 6, 2011, 12:35 PM
I'm looking at the most recent RR catalog and on Pg. 31, the RRA LAR-15 10.5 inch A2 is $945. The 7 inch on Pg. 30 is $955 to $990. Despite some opinions you may hear Rock River Arms makes fine, extremely reliable firearms. I wouldn't trade my RRA AR's for anything else.

JShirley
March 6, 2011, 12:36 PM
Not *really* an AR15 type, but the KelTec PLR-16 (http://www.impactguns.com/store/640832000375.html) could be in your hands for $650 or less, even after adding the fore-end.

mopar92
March 6, 2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks, I don't trust keltecs quality yet....

smince
March 6, 2011, 03:40 PM
I prefer one with a tube to get an extra 'point of contact'.

460Kodiak
March 6, 2011, 03:54 PM
I was looking at the Sig Sauer P556. It's a cool gun for looks, and would probably be a lot of fun. After looking at one in person, I was unimpressed with the fit and finish for the price, and decided to go a different way. Every Sig 556 product I've seen has the finish chipping off where the spent brass hits it. If you go that route, you may want to look at getting an after market finish upgrade, and some sort of padding where the brass hits. Just my 2 cents. I guess it depends on wich action type you like. The Sig is more of a AK action I believe.

JShirley
March 13, 2011, 11:50 PM
smince, which "tube" are you referring to? A fore-end? Like the one I included in my estimate of the total price of a PLR-16 (http://www.keltecweapons.com/product/plr-compact-forend/)?

DoubleTapDrew
March 14, 2011, 02:57 PM
Another vote for a PLR16. Mine's been totally reliable (and I've mostly fed it a diet of wolf). I wanted an AR pistol but at the gun show they had RRA AR pistols for $950 and the PLR for $450. It's lighter too. KelTec has a lifetime warranty so even if you don't trust the quality, they'll make it right (although I've never heard of a single problem with the PLR16).
Learn to use the KelTec sling and it'll be more steady than using a buffer tube on the shoulder.

RX-178
March 14, 2011, 03:25 PM
I'll toss out another vote for the PLR-16.

I absolutely love mine. It's one of the most amazingly fun firearms in my collection. NEVER any problems in reliability.

It's also remarkably easy to bump fire, just for kicks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cheapest AR style pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!