Rangefinder glass question

PDA

p5200
March 6, 2011, 07:38 PM
Is Japanese glass considered better than glass made in china on Rangefinders as well as scopes in general? Thanks! :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Rangefinder glass question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
p5200
March 6, 2011, 11:44 PM
Anyone? I was just curious if I got my $75.00 worth or not on the one I got off e-bay since it's the only one I've ever bought or, used. :D It says made in Japan on the bottom it's a Bushnell Yardage Pro 500 seems to work anyway. I just mainly need it to measure out my 50 and 100 etc. yard target distances. Thanks! :)

General Geoff
March 7, 2011, 12:01 AM
As a rule of thumb, stuff made in Japan is of somewhat higher quality (and typically more expensive) than stuff made in China, due to the vastly different economic environments of the two countries. That said, if it works, it doesn't really matter where it was built, then, does it? :)

p5200
March 7, 2011, 12:11 AM
Well, for my use it sure should beat the 100ft. Tape reel I've been using. :D Thanks!

LemmyCaution
March 7, 2011, 04:22 PM
It's not so much the glass as it is the quality of the laser and associated sensors with rangefinders.

I try to avoid Chinese products in this type of situation. Chinese manufacturing tends to put quality pretty far behind low manufacturing costs in their priority list.

TX1911fan
March 8, 2011, 02:06 PM
It all depends on the quality control of the company manufacturing the product. Plenty of high quality items are made in China (most Apple products, for example). If you are buying a Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold range finder, it will be good even if made in China. If you are buying Brand X, you are taking your chances.

xfyrfiter
March 8, 2011, 04:34 PM
Brand name seems to be more of an issue than place of manufacture. IMO

If you enjoyed reading about "Rangefinder glass question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!