O. S. Mossberg and Sons 42(b) .22

PDA

Ruddie
March 7, 2011, 12:27 PM
I recently inherited a Mossberg 42(b) from my grandmother. My uncle actually had it along with several other relics from long ago. He finally made me take one of them. I haven't found serial numbers yet but really haven't looked over it good yet. Either way, its in really good condition considering the age.

If you enjoyed reading about "O. S. Mossberg and Sons 42(b) .22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WNTFW
March 7, 2011, 07:28 PM
Some older, less expensive firearms don't have serial number. They were not required and the factory saved on the cost of doing it. I have a Marlin that is that way.

Post up some pics.

Ruddie
March 13, 2011, 04:54 AM
Evidently it was used to train U.S. and British troops in WWII. I'll attempt to post pics when I'm not having "technical difficulties". I'm going to try to get out and shoot it along with my other toys hopefully Monday or Tuesday (or both)

Shadow 7D
March 13, 2011, 06:54 AM
Rimfirecentral has an entire subforum dedicated to it

Surplus rifle forums covers it pretty well in their military trainers forum

Overall, wish I had one, supposed to be a great rifle.
Oh, and it may not have a serial number
pesky things like that weren't required until after '68...

Oh, and what are the other 'relics' pray tell, if that's the '.22'

Ruddie
March 13, 2011, 09:43 AM
Nazi Germany K98 Mauser ("trophy of war"),
GEW 98 Amberg 1918,
Walther .32 (see Mauser origin), single shot Remington 12g side hammer very old

There are a couple more that my uncle inherited from my 3 great uncles and grandfather (who were all in WWII). I'll have to call my uncle and ask him.
There was hear tell of one of my great uncles having a very old Colt .45 at some point . It evidently scattered to the wind as their war stories did.
Either way, the next time I'm in south Ga, ill do my best to take pics of all the oldies he has and post them.

If you enjoyed reading about "O. S. Mossberg and Sons 42(b) .22" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!