If you only had one long gun

PDA

kenshomi
March 7, 2011, 10:59 PM
I finally want to put a long gun along side my two pistols for <...self or home defense...>. I am not into dropping. Grand on a AR but want something to hit targets at least three times what I can with a pistol.

Shotgun, lever 30/30, Sks, Ak?

If you enjoyed reading about "If you only had one long gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
texas bulldog
March 7, 2011, 11:01 PM
For myself, only one long gun would probably be a shotgun. But if what you're really looking for is range, as suggested in your post, you'll probably be best served by a rifle.

-eaux-
March 7, 2011, 11:17 PM
I'm a Mossberg fan, but the Remington is tried and true as well. I'd have to say by virtue of versatility alone a 12ga pump is the time-tested and proven first buy in a longarm.

Big Bill
March 7, 2011, 11:23 PM
I'd buy the best a Marlin 336 I could afford. The model C is great but a W is also good. I don't count a shotgun as a long gun and a shotgun doesn't have the range you need even shooting slugs.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/

With Hornady LeverEvolution ammo you're good to 300 yards and even beyond.

Art Eatman
March 7, 2011, 11:26 PM
Any semi-auto in .223 or 7.62x39 would do just fine. In no particular order, AR, Mini, AK, SKS as well as other, similar rifles.

I'm figuring handgun range begins to get "iffy" at around 20 yards or so, and any rifle will work to well beyond 100 yards.

Nothing wrong with a lever-action, but it takes more practice to be swift at reloading or topping off.

-eaux-
March 7, 2011, 11:27 PM
Yes, a big +1 on the Marlin 336 also!

Quoheleth
March 7, 2011, 11:28 PM
I realize this is still north of the price of a .30-30, but a good AR can be picked up for well under $1K.

Here's what I have, and it's a nice shooter, $650ish. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=411537958. It shoots good enough for me with open sights. One day I'll top it off with some nice glass, but for now it's a fun range/blaster/HD gun.

Q

Edit: I just noticed that Buds no longer has that in stock. A quick check at Centerifre systems shows the price has gone up since I bought, and is now closer to $800.

WoodyTX
March 7, 2011, 11:33 PM
AKs are cheap and durable, but aren't inherently accurate, and you have to 'lob' in the rounds at longer ranges. (Basically the same trajectory as a 30-30.) Otherwise, I'd recommend an AK. They're also available in 5.54x39mm; I have no idea what prices are for that ammo.

A lever gun can be fun, but you'd have to get the right caliber to get decent range out of it.

For value, I'd suggest a bolt action Savage in .308 or even 30-06. You can really reach out and touch something, a wide range of ammo is readily available, and bolt actions are a great self-training tool. If you're looking for a lighter caliber, .243 or .270 are good. Be advised that some states have minimum calibers for hunting; if I remember correctly, you can't shoot elk with a .243 or deer with a .223 in Colorado.

EDIT: Just noticed the "self or home defense" part... Forget the bolt; I'd go with a decent AK. If they're over 200 meters away, you should be running or hiding, not shooting.

W.E.G.
March 7, 2011, 11:34 PM
AK-47... the very best there is...

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/humor/samuel.jpg

hogshead
March 7, 2011, 11:34 PM
Sks, accurate, fun, cheap to buy and shoot. How could you go wrong.

hogshead
March 7, 2011, 11:36 PM
Is that a 7.62 trail.

Ala Dan
March 7, 2011, 11:38 PM
How 'bout a .444 Marlin lever gun~?

belercous
March 7, 2011, 11:39 PM
If you want to put it together, you can have an AR for around $600.00. Look in a current Shot Gun News. Model 1 makes some accurate uppers. Don't rule it out.

HoosierShooter
March 7, 2011, 11:39 PM
For self or home defense a good ol' shotgun..mossberg or remington cant go wrong .I have a remington 870 express and 1100 , love them both . 1100 I use hunting.

Bigphil54
March 8, 2011, 12:05 AM
there is alway the marlin 1894c in 357/38 44 and 45lc. with that you can reach out 100-150 yards but its also short enough to whip round in halls and doorways. it also pairs nicely with a 357/38 revolver. the gun used to be round 300 bucks but has jumped alot due to popularity

gbran
March 8, 2011, 12:10 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/gbran/CrossfireMK1.jpg

JohnBiltz
March 8, 2011, 02:56 AM
Assuming you mean a pistol is 25 yards, then you are shooting for 75 yards. There are pistol caliber carbines that can do that pretty cheaply.

Double Vision
March 8, 2011, 06:41 AM
As mentioned, a shotgun like a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 would be a good choice for home defense.

If you're going with a rifle, a .223 is a good bet, and inexpensive to shoot.
The new Mini-14s are accurate enough and loads of fun.

bannockburn
March 8, 2011, 07:05 AM
My choice pf only one long gun would be an AR platform. Extremely versatile with a wide range of caliber conversions available.

50 cal
March 8, 2011, 08:36 AM
12 ga with #4 buck for me.I have kids that sleep in the other rooms.I don't need the over penetrarion of a handgun or a rifle.You don't have to worry about killing someone in the next room with a shotgun,but a shotgun a close range is like throwing a hand grenade.

Dejavu
March 8, 2011, 08:43 AM
I would choose the M-14. Good caliber, works all the time, all conditions.

OR

AR platform, but in a 7.62 caliber.

Still though, I keep coming back to an M-14 as my choice.

22-rimfire
March 8, 2011, 09:28 AM
Lots of choices and you probably want to decide what action type you prefer and consider the available options.

But, my first long suggestion is to get a 22LR. The most econonmical are products from Savage and Marlin. Everyone needs one 22 rifle and my pick would be probably a Marlin Model 60 in stainless these days.

#2: I like Ruger Mini-14's for general shooting (223 usually). Should work for home or personal defense where a rifle is the choice. They are very reliable. In a bolt action rifle, I would probably lean toward either a CZ or Remington rifle. Both should be accurate. Savage makes a good centerfire product too. Take you pick.

For cheap, it's hard to not consider a SKS for reliability and reasonable accuracy.

txhoghunter
March 8, 2011, 12:00 PM
Remington 870 12 ga, or an AR

I just got an AR for xmas for around $650, but they can be had for less.

Shooting out to 75 yds typically means a slug out of a shotgun, or a rifle. The rifle would allow for much faster follow-up shots, especially out of an AR

j2crows
March 8, 2011, 01:02 PM
12 guage shotgun!! I don't want too take the time to aim.

txhoghunter
March 8, 2011, 01:05 PM
I don't want too take the time to aim.

This will leave you with a loooong time 6 ft under to wish that you did....

SharpsDressedMan
March 8, 2011, 02:10 PM
This http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC05517.jpg or this http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m247/matquig/DSC05326.jpg

Rail Driver
March 8, 2011, 02:16 PM
If I could only have one of those 4 you listed, I'd pick the SKS and a LOT of ammo as the SKS tends to be more accurate than the AK (as long as it's not shot out). It will be a good hunting rifle, and they're surprisingly quick handling in a defensive situation if you get something like a paratrooper model while still being plenty powerful. Otherwise I'd pick the AR... modular. you can buy uppers and mags in multiple calibers and shoot almost anything you could find or load yourself. You can probably build a complete AR-15 for around $600 give or take a little. Less if you can find used parts.

DM~
March 8, 2011, 02:27 PM
I already have it and have been hunting with it for more than 25 years,

http://fototime.com/F8BC345CD766244/orig.jpg

http://fototime.com/2F1EDE966EE573A/orig.jpg

And i've harvested everything from moose and bear on down to small game like ducks, pheasants, ptmarigan and turkeys with it.

It's my "go to gun"!

DM

Claude Clay
March 8, 2011, 02:28 PM
DM; that versatility comes with some downside ( weight) but it is double+ good!!.
Sharps takes pretty pics or is it that he has purty guns...
6.5 x 55
7.5 55
win 30-30
h-bar
puma 45lc
win 1300/12 plugged 2+1
sks-though id love to come up with any reason to keep it...
make offers; im only moving this summer with 2
cz 452 is a keeper

where im heading i think my hunting will be confined to parking places and the frozen food aisle at Publix

DM~
March 8, 2011, 02:56 PM
Weight? It weighs just 7 pounds, i find that just about perfect for a hunting gun.

DM

rvn67n20
March 8, 2011, 03:14 PM
I'm not a complete virgin, but I have never seen anything like that. Can you at least provide a pointer to information about it? Thanks, and good hunting.

Scratch the request - I found a lead and am currently browsing the Chapuis website. That's a great looking weapon.

Second update - Drillings. How'd I get this old and not know about them......

alt

ByAnyMeans
March 8, 2011, 03:43 PM
Considering you want three times pistol distance but did not give us your pistol distance I will assume it is 25 yards which means you want to be able to touch out to 75 yards.

I would go with a Mossberg shotgun combo giving me a long barrel for skeet / hunting and a short barrel for home defense. I do not see any difficulty in reaching 75 yards with slugs.

You could also go for a pistol caliber carbine in whatever caliber your handguns are. Ammunition capability is nice when buying in bulk and storage of extra rounds for "whatever may come".

Now if I was just looking to spend under a thousand I would get the Mossberg combo shotgun and a WASR AK. Use the rest for magazines and ammo stash. Then I would eventually add a Marlin 795 with scope (quickly allows you to go from iron sights to scope) and pseudo scout rifle based of a Stevens 200 like SharpedDressedMan in .308 and all my possible bases would be covered.

speedway
March 8, 2011, 03:46 PM
Marlin camp carbine in 9mm.

Smith series 59 30 round magazines fit this gun.

Rusty Shackleford
March 8, 2011, 04:00 PM
SKS is my vote. It's semi-automatic, cheap, light, rugged, accurate enough for most uses and ammo is cheap as well.

As an aside, don't listen to anyone who says you don't have to aim a shotgun. Anyone who says that either has no idea what they are talking about or they've never actually used a shotgun... probably both. It's kind of embarrassing that two people have already said something to that effect in this very thread. And on THR, no less.

If you do decide to go with a shotgun, you will STILL NEED TO AIM. So be prepared to at least practice with it a bit, just like you need to do with a rifle.

brnmuenchow
March 8, 2011, 04:08 PM
Marlin 336 if I had to have one long gun. The gun is practical, reliable, and the .30-30win. is good enough for practicaly any application short of large game. I have an AK and I love it, however it is not practical for several applications.

Nico Testosteros
March 8, 2011, 06:49 PM
Only one rifle? For me that would be a No. 4 of some mark or a Ruger Gunsite. But that's just me.

doc2rn
March 8, 2011, 07:38 PM
Gotta stick with one of my favorites, either my #2 gun the Marling 1894 in .357 for size and accuracy or my #1 gun which is my go to gun Ruger 77/22 MK II.

Patrick R
March 8, 2011, 10:05 PM
Ar 15

22-rimfire
March 8, 2011, 10:21 PM
Marlin 1894 is a good choice in 357 or 44 mag for the distances you indicate.

Palehorseman
March 9, 2011, 01:38 AM
Not being facetious, but if only one long gun? It would be my 20 balls to the pound fusil de chasse rocklock smoothbore. A self-defense combat piece, no, but for survival, yes. Can make my own powder, shot, ball, and it can take down anything that walks in North America

http://hstrial-rchambers.homestead.com/P1010034.JPG

StrawHat
March 9, 2011, 09:11 AM
For most folks a handgun is a short range firearm. given that, I would also recommend a rifle or carbine shambered for the same cartridge that is in your handgun. It will easily increase your effective range and the one (cartridge) size fits all concept does have merit.

It would help if you gave us a bit more info. What handgun do you currntly use, how proficient are you, what are your goals for the rifle, do you plan to use it for anything besides home defense?

I personnaly, do not see a rifle as a good option for a house gun but your thoughts would help us give better advice.

memphisjim
March 9, 2011, 09:17 AM
near any rifle will work for you
a shot gun with decent sites and slugs makes 100yrds easy proposition
a remington 7615 is a decent one that hasnt been mentioned

reuben mishler
March 9, 2011, 11:46 AM
If you're looking to shoot 3 times what you can with a pistol, I'm assuming possibly 100 yards, or 150? In that case...

I would choose to go with the AK-47 first. It isn't the most accurate out past 150, but at 100 yards, I've found they will produce "OK" groups which would adequate enough for home protection, as well as allowing the user to produce quick follow up shots.

My second choice, sticking to your list of firearms, would be the SKS. I suppose I'm just fond of having the option of quick follow upshots. Pretty much anything in semi-auto that is accurate out to 100 yards would do in my opinion for what you are seeking.

I don't think you'll have to break the bank and get an AR.

TGReaper
March 9, 2011, 12:31 PM
Given your opening post,I think I would agree with the persons that have recommended the Marlin 30-30. The lever action Marlin is a good,accurate rifle that will last a lifetime.
In my house I have the equivalent of the above,in a 16 in Winchester "Trapper" in 30-30.

Jeff F
March 9, 2011, 01:03 PM
Only 1 long gun. I'd have to say a quality 12 gauge pump, 20-24 inch barrel that accepts choke tubes would be about as good as it could get.

TraditionalCatholic
March 9, 2011, 02:24 PM
I think I'd want a Ruger Mini 14 in .223 Reasonably accurate, reliable as a brick, maybe even more so, feeds any brand/type of ammo.

mustang_steve
March 9, 2011, 10:08 PM
TC Encore rifle kit, with a barrel for 12ga, .308 and .22lr.

There you go.

cleardiddion
March 10, 2011, 12:01 AM
Depending on what sort of handguns you have a lever action or something like a CX4 in the same caliber would be a good companion.

XxWINxX94
March 10, 2011, 12:08 AM
How 'bout a .444 Marlin lever gun~?

This would be perfect if his intruder was a P.O.ed grizzly ;)

clance
March 10, 2011, 12:22 AM
I finally want to put a long gun along side my two pistols for <...self or home defense...>. I am not into dropping. Grand on a AR but want something to hit targets at least three times what I can with a pistol.

Shotgun, lever 30/30, Sks, Ak?

What ranges are you shooting at (3' to 300 yds) and how dense a area population wise (urban/rural) are you operating in?

Short ranges and dense populated areas it's hard to beat a good shotgun for the defense of your home.

But with that said, I'm currently looking at converting a Draco AK47 Pistol to a Short Barrel Rifle (SBR) if the rumors are true that Michigan is considering adopting all NFA rules in the near future which would include SBR and Silencers. Currently Michigan allows only SBS and Select-fire/Full-auto ownership under NFA but not the two fore mention.

While I like the looks of this setup, I'm not to sure about the telescoping stock seeing that when folded it double the width of the gun.
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy135/stmichps/DSC_0028.jpg

I like the folding stock on this one as it cuts down the bulk when folded, but would prefer the full-length rail forearm on the other.
http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy135/stmichps/fulldraco.jpg

There is several other thing I can see that could be done to make this one great car/house gun!

johngiarrusso
March 10, 2011, 12:42 AM
ak 74 - 5.45x39 === centerfiresystems.com for 399.99
remington 870 - 12ga === walmart 350

o Unforgiven o
March 10, 2011, 12:46 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/gbran/CrossfireMK1.jpg

Ha, good luck owning that in California. :neener:

aklovinguy
March 10, 2011, 10:01 PM
ak 74 - 5.45x39 === centerfiresystems.com for 399.99
remington 870 - 12ga === walmart 350
How about J and G sales, same ak 74 359.00

If you enjoyed reading about "If you only had one long gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!