Savage 114 vs. Winchester Model 70 Featherweight

PDA

CowboyTim
March 7, 2011, 10:28 PM
Plotting my next rifle purchase, planning on picking up a new '06 this year. Got it down to these two, so what does everybody think: Winchester Featherweight or Savage 114...WHY?

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 114 vs. Winchester Model 70 Featherweight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RyeDaddy
March 7, 2011, 11:58 PM
There aren't many better looking or better handling hunting rifles than the 70 Featherweight, and the ones that are are custom affairs. This is a no-brainer. I own a Savage 16 and it shoots great, but if Winchester made a 260 Remington Featherweight, I'd have bought it instead without a second thought.

Controlled round feed, 'nuff said.

GuysModel94
March 8, 2011, 12:39 AM
I agree, the Model 70 hands down!!! There are two other threads with pics on the new Model 70's. These rifles, by FNH, are getting rave reviews from everyone who is shooting them.

jmr40
March 8, 2011, 09:09 AM
Winchester. Nothing to think about, it's that much better. And likey not much, if any more expensive.

HM2PAC
March 8, 2011, 02:54 PM
The Winchester Featherweight is a great rifle. Personally have been drooling over one chambered in 7x57 or 6.5 Swede.

Savage is another fantastic rifle, can't go wrong there. Super accurate, solid firearm. The company has done more for production hunting rifles in the last 10 years than any other company that comes to mind. I don't see anyone posting the stats that the Savage F-Class team does.

Simply put, you won't go wrong with either choice.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
March 8, 2011, 03:09 PM
I once owned the Featherweight in 22-250. I had a Leupold scope, rings and mount. The barrel I made free-floating, did a bedding job on the receiver and a trigger job by others.

That was an extremely accurate rifle that you could easily lug around all day and not think a thing of it!

bpl
March 8, 2011, 09:25 PM
I would pick the Winchester Featherweight over any Savage any day of the week and twice on Sunday!

CowboyTim
March 8, 2011, 09:36 PM
HM2PAC, that's a great idea. A Featherweight in 7x57...AND a 114 in 30-06....perhaps if the budget allows...

SSN Vet
March 8, 2011, 09:51 PM
When I picked up my Savage 14 in 7mm-08 a year and a half ago, I really wanted the new Winnie, but it was $200 more.

That's a lot of cake in my middle class accounting

CowboyTim
March 8, 2011, 10:01 PM
Well the budget probably isn't going to allow, but hey a guy can dream...

bpl
March 9, 2011, 10:28 AM
What's you budget? Featherweights can be found for good prices if you look around. I bought a new one in .243 for $599 maybe 6 months ago at Gander Mt. They also had a .308 for that price. I wish I'd had the money for both. CDNN has them for $679 blued/$779 Stainless. Try Buds Gun Shop and Gunbroker.

CowboyTim
March 9, 2011, 02:39 PM
I figure I can swing one or the other later on this summer, depends on how much work I get, construction has been hot an cold last couple of years, Got two main bills I'm trying to pay off I'm thinking that I might buy one after each bill, kind of a reward, ya know something to look forward to. Right now I'm leaning toward the Featherweight for my '06. What I'd really like the Savage for is to maybe down the road rebarrel in .25 or .270 gibbs, that would be a blast to shoot I think. Guess it comes down to I really don't NEED either one, but I'd sure like 'em.

6.5swede
March 13, 2011, 10:05 PM
I bought a near mint condition Win 70 classic FWT 6.5x55 last year. It's well balanced and IMO, one of the best looking factory rifles made. It's one of my favorite rifles but out of the box accurate it was NOT. The trigger was almost unusable at 5-6 pounds. It took quite a bit of work: trigger job, pillar/glass bedding the action and free floating the barrel to get it to shoot. It's a dream to shoot now and I wouldn't trade it for anything. The new SC produced rifles are reportedly more accurate OOB and have the user adjustable MOA trigger. Have any multiple Win 70 rifle owners had issues with out of the box triggers and accuracy?

Welding Rod
March 13, 2011, 11:09 PM
Those new Featherweights are sweet. I traded in for one in .270 a few weeks ago. It is really darn nice. Smooth bolt operation, great trigger, floated barrel, and nice wood.

Abel
March 13, 2011, 11:25 PM
2 words: Feather Weight

utbrowningman
March 13, 2011, 11:28 PM
I own a AC 114 .30-06 and can only say I think it is a great gun. I can't say anything on the Winchester as I have never shot one. My only complaint is the rock hard recoil pad on the 114. Don't know why Savage uses such a hard pad but it can easily be changed.

P-32
March 14, 2011, 01:17 AM
I'm also going to vote F/W. I must admit I've not fired the Savage but my F/W in '06 is my go to rifle. Easy to carry in the field. I have a older push feed F/W that is smooth as silk. The only down side is these are light rifles and they do kick a bit in 30-06.

After I floated the barrel and found a load it likes the rifle shoots sub MOA. I just put the cross hairs where I want the bullet to go and tickle the trigger.

CowboyTim
August 19, 2012, 11:15 PM
Update, went with the M70 ordered a Feather Weight (257 Bob instead of '06), it'll be here in November.

lefteyedom
August 19, 2012, 11:26 PM
You will like the Bob in a model 70.

I own Savages so I can trade out barrels when I get tired of a caliber....

Of course I end up buying barrels and then surfing GB or Armslist to find a Lefty Savage to put it on.

My 7-08 has been a 243, 308, and may end up being a 260 before its all over..

helotaxi
August 20, 2012, 10:02 AM
Until Win recognizes that there are left handed shooters out there...

NeuseRvrRat
August 20, 2012, 11:13 AM
if Winchester made a 260 Remington Featherweight, I'd have bought it instead without a second thought.

wouldn't that be awesome?

mdauben
August 20, 2012, 12:16 PM
I'm a fan of Savage rifles and you really can't go wrong if you go with that choice. If money was not a concern, however, I would probably pick the Model 70.

bpl
August 20, 2012, 05:42 PM
CowboyTim,

Good choice in rifle and cartridge! I'm a big fan of both. My 257 Bob is a Kimber 84M Classic Select topped with a VX-3 2.5-8x36 Leupold, which is a great scope bye the way. I love it! Killed 5 deer so far with it, 2 bucks and 3 does, and only one of them moved from the spot they were shot and that was only 15-20 yards down a steep hillside, most of it sliding on the ground. I just shoot the factory Hornady 117gr BTSP load.

If you enjoyed reading about "Savage 114 vs. Winchester Model 70 Featherweight" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!