Radway Green 308 Linked Ammo

PDA

Double Vision
March 8, 2011, 09:11 PM
I just picked up an ammo can of Radway Green linked 308 for my M1A.
Is there an easy and painless way to remove the rounds from the links without damaging the brass or my fingers? :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Radway Green 308 Linked Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
marktx
March 8, 2011, 09:32 PM
Not really, unless you get an incredibly good deal on linked ammo or you have a belt fed it's not worth the hassle for most people. If you have a belt fed it's great because people buy it and after pulling a few rounds they will sell it cheap :)

General Geoff
March 8, 2011, 10:51 PM
Is there an easy and painless way to remove the rounds from the links without damaging the brass or my fingers?

Yeah, an M240. :D

HorseSoldier
March 8, 2011, 11:36 PM
1) Place bullet point down on lid of ammo can.
2) Hold remainder of belt in one hand
3) Push down on belt with free hand

This should strip the round off the belt. Repeat ad nauseum.

That's about the easiest way to do it, and doesn't screw up the ammo too much.

shotgunjoel
March 8, 2011, 11:40 PM
Get a 2x4 and some good gloves. Then do steps 2 and 3 listed above. I've never done this, but I here that that works best.

1KPerDay
March 8, 2011, 11:45 PM
heavy leather gloves, dowel or 2x4. I like a thin strip of wood like wall trim to push the round out. Watching Tv or something...

Z-Michigan
March 8, 2011, 11:48 PM
Get a 2x4 and some good gloves. Then do steps 2 and 3 listed above. I've never done this, but I here that that works best.

I have some of that Radway Green linked that I foolishly bought from Classic Arms. The above works and is the best technique I've found. Gloves really do help. With gloves and a 2x4 scrap it's not too bad. You are putting pressure on the bullet nose which could potentially cause setback, but I have not seen any setback in 100+ delinked this way, and I've seen the same technique recommended by various people, including a video briefly posted on AIM Surplus's website.

In the future, the linked ammo is not likely to be worth it for me.

Double Vision
March 9, 2011, 07:10 AM
In the future, the linked ammo is not likely to be worth it for me.

Agreed. Lesson learned.

Thanks for the help guys!

PS - how does this stuff shoot?

stubbicatt
March 9, 2011, 08:52 AM
I bought some linked RG ammo maybe 4 or 5 years ago. It shot about 150 fps slower than the surplus US ammo I was shooting at the time.

De linking was a time consuming endeavour, but like the others said, pushing the bullet end against a 2x4 and the rounds came out readily.

Double Vision
March 9, 2011, 11:14 AM
PS, I found an easy way to separate the rounds from the links after a phone call to Classic Arms.
While wearing gloves, hold the open side of the link with a pair of vise grips and twist the off. The round out will then slide right out.
Not so bad, and it doesn't seem to harm the brass.

Z-Michigan
March 9, 2011, 12:57 PM
The vise grips method is good to know, but sounds slower and more hassle than the 2x4 method. Also, does it harm the links? I intend to re-sell the links at some point.

Double Vision
March 9, 2011, 01:32 PM
The vise grips method is good to know, but sounds slower and more hassle than the 2x4 method. Also, does it harm the links? I intend to re-sell the links at some point.

So far, it's been pretty quick and easy. And the only pressure on the round is my gloved hand. I'll try going through the whole lot later today.

I use as light a grip as possible on the links - just enough to hold them steady - so they don't get marred. Those links are quite hard and don't seem affected by the vise grips.

Orlando
March 9, 2011, 08:07 PM
Grab the round and pull.Geez ya bunch of Shirleys:)

Double Vision
March 9, 2011, 08:23 PM
Grab the round and pull.Geez ya bunch of Shirleys

Once I got the vise grip involved it was a piece of cake. I was able to separate 160 rounds in under an hour.

JAV8000
March 9, 2011, 08:35 PM
I've delinked thousands of rounds of that crap, then again, I'm an infantry man and thats the least of my labor.....I just twist the rounds from the links with an angry man hand, all she takes.

deadeye1122
March 9, 2011, 10:04 PM
+1 on Orlando and JAV8000 although a needle nose pliers helps me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Radway Green 308 Linked Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!