Anyone Use Leupold's Mark AR Series?

PDA

TheHighRoadDude
March 8, 2011, 08:50 PM
I have been looking around for a scope to slap on my AR-15 and these seemed like they could fill a lot of requirements. But as always I like to here other opinions.

I was primarily looking at the 4-12x Model mill dot. But if someone can tell me if they like any of the others and the reasons why that would be cool.

Another question is has anyone used this scope for a bolt .223? I was also thinking about getting a heavy barreled savage in .223, could this scope be used on something other than AR's?

Post your comments or thoughts!
TheHighRoadDude

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone Use Leupold's Mark AR Series?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tizona
March 8, 2011, 09:19 PM
I got the 1x4 for my AR; it was so clear and bright that I have purchased two more for hunting rifles.

Great scope, especially for the money. Hope that's helpful.

Cheers,
Tizona

TheHighRoadDude
March 9, 2011, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the reply :)

DoubleTapDrew
March 9, 2011, 12:06 PM
Have the 3-9x on a .308 AR and am very happy with it. Mine's a duplex, not mil dot but that's just a personal preference thing.
It'll work on any gun and I'm sure it would be a good choice for a bolt .223.

BruceB
March 9, 2011, 12:13 PM
I mounted a 1-4X Mark AR on my "Deluxe" Mini-14, and a 3-9X Mark AR on my Armalite "M15" (their name for a flat-top AR_15).

Both sights are bright and sharp. They seem to hold zero very well, and I think they represent good value for the price(s).

The 3-9 has a trajectory-compensating feature, and the elevation adjustment is marked with the load for which it's calibrated. In my example, the dial is marked ".223 Rem-55g-3100fps". It just happens that my standard handload for the rifle is a 55-grain V-max at an average speed of....3097 fps! To use the compensating feature, the rifle is zeroed at a given range-I used 200 yards- and the dial is then set at that range (that is, the dial is set to read "2" if zeroed at 200. It's then locked and if shooting at other ranges, the dial is set for that range..."3" for 300 yards, "4" for 400, and so on, up to 700 yards.

Dials are available to suit most "standard" loads in many calibers.

This feature WORKS. I've only tried it out to 400 yards, but if the correct range is set on the turret, the group forms on the point of aim....with no holdover. Of course, the shooter has to remember to set the scope back to its "normal" elevation when finished at longer ranges....I leave mine set at 200, since that allows good hits to around 300 without much worry.

Both scopes have now been used for over 1000 rounds each. They work fine, and I like them. You won't go wrong in selecting one of the AR series, as far as I'm concerned.

TheHighRoadDude
March 9, 2011, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the awesome replies guys!

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone Use Leupold's Mark AR Series?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!