detachable magazine for a K98?

PDA

50of4064
March 8, 2011, 09:22 PM
anyone have any leads on such a beast? something like you would find on a Remington 700.

If you enjoyed reading about "detachable magazine for a K98?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
March 8, 2011, 09:29 PM
There have been copies of the WWI German extension magazine made and they can be found from time to time. Like the Springfield extension of the same era, it replaces the magazine floorplate. Google might turn up a source.

But a magazine that can be inserted into the standard magazine well, I know of no such animule, though a custom gunsmith could probably gin something up if you don't mind spending a lot of money.

Jim

50of4064
March 8, 2011, 09:39 PM
Thank you Jim for the heads up

NCsmitty
March 8, 2011, 10:18 PM
Here's a link to a Gunbroker auction for a detachable mag for Mausers. The one shown is for long style cartridges, but I have seen them for 308 length rounds. Limits it to 3 rounds.
It fits in after removing the mag cover.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=219364925

NCsmitty

BleysAhrens
March 8, 2011, 10:37 PM
Only 3 rounds? $35? 8 or 10 rounds would be worth it...

rcmodel
March 10, 2011, 12:06 PM
Part of the problem is the feed rails.

On a Mauser 98 they are machined in as part the receiver rails and the magazine box is open at the top.
An extended mag would have no way to keep the cartridges in it when it was removed.

On a 700 Rem, the feed lips are bent into the magazine box itself, so a magazine box can be any length you want it to be.

rc

rivergun
March 11, 2011, 04:24 PM
Didn't Sarco sell Mauser detachable magazines or conversions?

My mind isn't as good as I remembered!!

If you enjoyed reading about "detachable magazine for a K98?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!