Anyone seen/ own a VZ-2008 made by Century Arms?

PDA

TheGewehrGuy
March 9, 2011, 07:30 AM
I particularly want to know what the finish is, does it come in the military grey? Or black? And is it a dull black/grey or glossy black/grey?

Plus, did your handguards and pistol grip, and stock all match in color when you got it?

Any problems with the rifle? Whats your opinion of it?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone seen/ own a VZ-2008 made by Century Arms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fastcast
March 9, 2011, 08:44 AM
Saw a folding stock version at the local gun show, a couple weeks ago. I didn't pick it up and handle it but it looks like a parkerized finish. The rifle looked sweet and the finish actually looked much better than a real VZ58 that was there also. The VZ58 looked like some painted/poly finish, full of dust/dirt. :eek:

Not that, the finish makes a 2008 a better rifle than a real 58, it just looks better. Can't comment on anything else, as I've shot neither.

If they run right, they look like a hell of a deal, for the prices they're going for.....IMO

stubbicatt
March 9, 2011, 08:50 AM
I saw one at a local merchant. The front sight was canted noticeably. I put it back at that point.

I do not remember the finish but I think it may have been black parkerization.

rocinante
March 9, 2011, 08:53 AM
I bought two, one with the wood stock, the other with the bakelite and folding stock. The finish is black park. I agree the finish is very nice. The "real" vz58 is also a kit gun with a new semi auto receiver.

So far I have zero complaints about form, finish, function. Try it, you'll like it. Frankly I think I got the best deal going in rifles right now. The "real" vz58 guys will work hard trying to convince you not to buy from century or that the rifles are a steaming pile.

JustinJ
March 9, 2011, 03:52 PM
Its my understanding that the vz58 is imported in a "sporter configuration" and then modified to the military version (minus full auto) similar to saiga to arsenal ak. According to their web site:

"The Sa vz. 58 High Capacity Sporter accepts double stack 30 round magazines. This rifle was imported into the United States as an Sa vz. 58 Sporter utilizing 10 round single stack magazines as US law requires semi automatic rifles to be imported with a magazine capacity of 10 rounds or less.

CzechPoint, Inc., in co-operation with local contractors, legally modifies the original vz. 58 Sporter into a rifle that accepts 30 round magazines by ensuring the rifle has no more than 10 imported parts. This means that all vz. 58 rifles capable of using 30 round magazines possess 5 USA made parts to fully comply with Title 18, U.S.C., Section 922(r)."

rocinante
March 9, 2011, 04:06 PM
The company, D-Technik,that does the assembly in Czech, takes a used milsurp rifle kit and adds a new semi receiver to make the rifle they send to the states. The only thing new is the receiver. Don't know if they weld the barrel extension to get it to 16+ there or state side. Stateside they widen the mag well for double stack mags and change mostly U.S. parts in the trigger group and magazine to get by 922r. You have to use their magazines because straight milsurp mags would screw up their legal parts count. All the U.S. parts are polymer which some don't like so much. Century uses a U.S. made receiver and U.S. made barrel properly length so they don't have the same 922r parts count problems.

The major big deal advantage of the czech imports is the chrome lined barrel albeit a used one. To me that was not a big deal at all, certainly not worth 400+ more.

armoredman
March 9, 2011, 05:24 PM
They ALL have new semi-auto only receivers - a select fire reciever converted to semi only is a bog no-no per ATFE, "Once a machinegun, always a machinegun", so every single semi auto military style look alike rifle in legal possession has a semi-auto only reciever. The only place making NEW vz-58s is CZ-UB.
Barrel extension is silver soldered on, IIRC.
I wouldn't mind trying one of the Century versions, even with two up/two down bad experiances with Century products. I have been hearing lots of good comments on the Century product. Mine is a D-Technik/Czech Small Arms rifle, and it is excellent, great rifle.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/CZ%20posters/vz58andchestpouch.jpg
Not pictured, extended/ambi mag release, from Neit Arms, who also made the extended bolt release you see above.

nalioth
March 9, 2011, 05:30 PM
The "real" vz58 is also a kit gun with a new semi auto receiver.If you want to put it that way, all factory guns are "kit guns".

The "real" (or made-in-the-former-Czechoslavakia) Vz58 is factory produced from new parts and new milspec receivers. As with the current Saigas and Draco pistols, they just don't drill the "naughty hole" while producing the receiver. New parts are used right from the factory stocks (unlike Century's offerings which are made from cut-up Vz58s retired from service).

The company, D-Technik,that does the assembly in Czech, takes a used milsurp rifle kit and adds a new semi receiver to make the rifle they send to the states.Again, you are mistaken. The imported Vz58s are assembled from all new parts.

Zastava PAP = assembled from all new milspec parts (as many as our laws allow, anyway)
Saiga = assembled from all new milspec parts (as many as our laws allow, anyway)

Bulgarian SSR-85c - produced from Type-3 AK-47s retired from Bulgarian military service (a "kit gun").
Romanian WASR - produced (currently) from guns retired from Romanian military service (a "kit gun").
Century-built / OOW-built Vz58 - produced from guns retired from Czech military service (a "kit gun").

JustinJ
March 9, 2011, 05:44 PM
Personally I'm through with century. The fact that vz58s are not built by them makes them worth the extra cost to me. The fact that their barrels and receivers are real CZ is also a huge factor to me for quality and collector value.

After getting my first arsenal i decided to sell my three century AKs to fund more arsenals.

ifit
March 9, 2011, 06:09 PM
i have handled the vz2008 at my local ffl dealer, and i have to admit it was surely nice black park with the wooden stock. might consider one at that price as my beater vz58 and leave my czusa vz in the safe. but for me i prefer the original gray blue finish, its unique to the vz58 as compared to the black park. what it really boils down to is what you want and how much your willing to spend through your research
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y211/kadiindo/vz58009.jpg

rocinante
March 9, 2011, 10:48 PM
Nalioth there may be some question whether or not CZ-UB proper uses ALL new parts but it is definitely true D-Technik is produced from guns retired from Czech military service (a "kit gun") on new semi auto receivers. They do not make any claim otherwise. I am one that likes milsurp and kit guns so it is no negative to me. All the parts are quality.

fact that their barrels and receivers are real CZ

receivers are not real CZ. Czech yes but not CZ unless CZ-UB made it.

armoredman
March 9, 2011, 11:07 PM
No, CZ-UB doesn't make them that I know of. CZ-UB makes the real deal, while Czech Small Arms, (formerly D-Technik), makes the semi auto only, single stack magazine only receivers, new, and I am not 100% on where in the Czech Republic they are actually born. That type of receiver all that is currently importable under our restrictions. They are then legally CNC'd out to specs for the standard capacity magazines at Czechpoint's jobber.
Milsurp parts or not, everything looked brand new when I got my Czechpoint rifle. I am very happy with it.:cool:
BUT, the OP was asking strictly about the vz-2008, so I say, no, sorry, I haven't seen one in person yet, would love to do a side by side evaluation, but finances prohibit at this time.

leadcounsel
March 25, 2011, 03:38 PM
These are now $350 at several merchants - I'm also curious about their quality. I ordered two, and am eager to get them.

Anyone else wanna chime in? Would be great if these were high quality!

Dave Markowitz
March 25, 2011, 05:13 PM
I'm quite happy with my VZ-2008. The finish is nice and the gun runs great (since the initial 200 round break in period).

stubbicatt
March 25, 2011, 10:50 PM
OK. I handled another at the local merchant, same as my posting above.

This one is pretty decent to look at it from the outside. It is zip tied to prevent one from opening the action. I think I may buy this one. There is no sight cant. The finish is uniform. The rear sight is parked, which may need replacement with an original.

The slant brake has to go.

Although I haven't taken it apart to examine the innards, the outside looks promising.

I guess then, like all Century offerings, there are examples that are well built, and there are examples that are not. This favors the local store, as you can actually hold and fondle the one you choose to purchase.

armoredman
March 25, 2011, 11:09 PM
They wouldn't let you look inside? That's a non-starter for me, and has nothing to do with the rifle, and everything with the dealer.
If you do buy it inside sight-unseen, let us know how she runs for ya?

leadcounsel
April 2, 2011, 05:13 PM
Anyone else?

NWCP
April 2, 2011, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't waste my time or money on a Century VZ2008. Go to czechpoint-usa and take a look at the real deal. They were involved with CZ's importing of the VZ58 and have since taken over since CZ quit carrying the rifle. The CZ VZ58 is a really nice weapon and is worth every dollar you lay down to get one. Mine has been a real pleasure to own and shoot.

http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/

Maverick223
April 2, 2011, 10:17 PM
I have handled them and have to agree that the finish (black parkerizing) looks nicer than the original VZ.58s, which is a durable baked-on coating (I went with the black finish on mine, as I don't care for the original grey). That said, the only part of mine that has a "rough" finish is the folding stock which is to be expected as it is a surplus part (I still couldn't be happier because it is as stout as a tank and locks up as solid as a bank vault). The only thing that concerns me about the VZ-2008 is the modified SA firing mechanism which has been reported to have some design flaws.

:)

rocinante
April 2, 2011, 10:39 PM
The only thing that concerns me about the VZ-2008 is the modified SA firing mechanism which has been reported to have some design flaws.

The safety thing was with some very early vz2008s and that has been fixed for a long long time.

If you don't like the rifle or century don't buy them . duh. Pretending your Chevy is a Porsche and your neighbor's Ford is a pedal car doesn't do much one way or the other. I certainly don't feel under privileged or abused because I own two vz2008s. Truth is folks are catching on what great rifles and great values they are so they are now on perpetual back order. Snooze you lose.

Maverick223
April 2, 2011, 10:49 PM
The safety thing was with some very early vz2008s and that has been fixed for a long long time.

If you don't like the rifle or century don't buy them . duh. Pretending your Chevy is a Porsche and your neighbor's Ford is a pedal car doesn't do much one way or the other.Wasn't referring to the safety...IIRC they had a tendency to fail to reset and some had problems with doubling. This may have been fixed as well, but as I said earlier there are reports of problems.

Furthermore, I never claimed to have a problem with CAI or the VZ-2008 in particular, nor was I putting anyone down for owning or considering one. That said, I will not hold my tongue WRT reports of design flaws pertinent to the discussion.

rocinante
April 3, 2011, 05:29 PM
Maverick I know what you are talking about but I don't think the problem is exclusive to century. It is more of a problem of going from a full auto to semi auto design. One of the fixes is to weld a tab on the bolt carrier. I post a lot on the vz58 section of the /www.czforumsite.info and the centuries doesn't have this problem any more than the czechpoints or the home builds. Believe me there are PLENTY of guys there just jumping to find fault with the century guns and no body has mentioned any difference at all in their fire control design. Except for czechpoint using plastic pieces I don't know of any design differences at all in the fire control group. Neither of mine have had any problems.

That said if there is a problem I want to know about it too. You started this thread and have been a total gent and class act toward the vz2008s. My car analogy wasn't aimed at you.

Maverick223
April 3, 2011, 08:25 PM
You started this thread and have been a total gent and class act toward the vz2008s. My car analogy wasn't aimed at you.Not my thread (I think you are referring to the VZ.58 Club (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=532889)), but thank you for the kind words. My apologies for jumping to conclusions.

armoredman
April 3, 2011, 09:26 PM
Never heard of a fire control issue with the Century version, when was that?

Maverick223
April 3, 2011, 11:35 PM
armoredman, I don't recall, and was unable to find any review in a quick search. It may have not been a common problem, or have since been resolved (I am unaware of anyone reporting such issues with any type of VZ in the VZ.58 Club thread, but during my research I clearly recall hearing about such issues).

FWIW, I am considering buying a VZ-2008 to SBR (non-chrome lined bbl will make this easier, and a canted sight won't be an issue :p)...know where one might be able to acquire a pistol-type gas block (one with sights affixed)?

nalioth
April 3, 2011, 11:48 PM
know where one might be able to acquire a pistol-type gas block (one with sights affixed

I believe this will work:
[howto] make your own AK combo front sight gas block (http://forum.novarata.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1487)

Maverick223
April 3, 2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks, nalioth. If I am unable to find the real thing I will probably give this a whirl, but I think i'll use a tack weld as I don't trust solder to hold sights (bad experiences with silver soldered HK style sights on my Saiga-12). As long as I take my time and keep it cool I should be good.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone seen/ own a VZ-2008 made by Century Arms?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!