Break in of new 22wmr barrel

PDA

rajb123
March 9, 2011, 09:39 AM
Is there anything to be careful about here?

Some say just shoot it and don't worry about cleaning every few rounds and completely cooling the barrel between shots, etc.

If you enjoyed reading about "Break in of new 22wmr barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SaxonPig
March 9, 2011, 09:42 AM
Shoot it and clean it when finished like any other rifle barrel.

Tentwing
March 9, 2011, 10:21 AM
I'm in the same mind set as Saxon Pig. Shoot it clean it and enjoy it.

Maybe I'm in the wrong here, but I have never let my 22mag cool between shots ?? :uhoh: ........ Just pull the trigger ...work the lever action...come back on center target.... and pull the trigger again.

I haven't heard of the need to cool the barrel of a 22mag between shots, but I am certainly interested in seeing what others have to say on the subject ??

Tentwing

Art Eatman
March 9, 2011, 11:48 AM
"Is there anything to be careful about here?"

Aw, probably hadn't oughta let it get rusty. :D:D:D

Wouldn't hurt to run an oily patch through the barrel, every now and then.

Tentwing
March 9, 2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Art..:)

I always kinda thought that the barrels on my 22's were far more endangered from over-cleaning than they ever would be from throat erosion..;) :D

Tentwing

Geno
March 9, 2011, 01:31 PM
I had two .22LRs that I had to clean every 10 to 12 rounds, because the chambers were so tight. If I didn't spray the out chamber and run a patch through, I literally could not chamber a round. Not so surprising, they were as-accurate-as they were tight.

In reading over at Krieger's website, and some others, they indicate in the range of 25 round to break-in a centerfire barrel, and that it can take several thousands of rounds of .22LR. Yeah, that's not going to happen. :rolleyes: My rule for rimfires is, clean them when they loose accuracy, or are so fouled they begin to fail to properly cycle.

Geno

Pacsd
March 9, 2011, 02:46 PM
yer suppose to clean .22's?

rajb123
March 9, 2011, 03:00 PM
What about the type of bullets that are being used?

Apparently, most 22LR bullets are not jacketed - just plain old lead. All the 22WMR ammo I am seeing have lead cores but are copper jacketed.

Does this make any difference?

Thx...

HOOfan_1
March 9, 2011, 03:03 PM
My dad always taught me, if you shoot it, clean it.

When I bought him his CZ 452 and told him that most people told me to get a .17 cal fiberglass rod, he said. "stupid me, I've been cleaning my Marlin .22 with a multi-piece aluminum rod for 50 years." Now he doesn't even shoot it every year, but if it is shot, he doesn't wait more than a couple of days to clean it. Accuracy seems to be fine still.

Naybor
March 9, 2011, 04:16 PM
I run an oiled patch and then a bore snake after maybe two or three sessions. The bore is still shiny and accurate after thousands of shots. WMR .22's, although more potent than .22 LR, still aren't bodacious enough to affect the bore wear or temperature like higher power cartridges.

rajb123
March 9, 2011, 04:41 PM
Ok - thanks .....so the much higher velocities of the 22WMR Vs. 22LR and the fact that they have copper jacketed bullets does not require barrel break-in like a center fire rifle?

I posted this question on the Gunsmith section below, so don't be angry OK? I'm just seeing what those guys recommend.

I know that for some center fire rifle guys, they don't do any break-in so I'm sure there may be different views on all this.....

Geno
March 9, 2011, 06:03 PM
Much of the quality .22LR ammunition has a wax coating that serves as a lubricant. This lubricant protects the bore from corrosion, and serves to keep the bore from fouling. That ammunition, in a good target .22LR, can be clean as infrequently as every 3,000 to 5,000 rounds. Some of the really high end jobs, Cooper etc, with lapped barrels, can go even more. Regardless of lead or copper jacket, many barrel manufacturers (Krieger) assert that barrels, even .22LR, benefit from a proper breaking-in, and will improve in quality as it seasons and breaks in. Link to Krieger website regarding breakin and cleaning: http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Break_In__Cleaning-c1246-wp2558.htm

Geno

If you enjoyed reading about "Break in of new 22wmr barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!