Can AR-10 handle hot ammo better than M1A?

PDA

Fatelvis
March 9, 2011, 10:02 AM
I currently have a older M1A and want to shoot the same 175 SMK ammo (@2600 fps) as my Rem bolt gun. I know this load is near the ragged edge as far as beating the rifle, and was wondering if the AR-10 platform handles heavier/hotter ammo easier, without worry of premature wear. Also, if you were to buy an AR-10, is one brand head and shoulders above the rest and are there any to stay away from? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Can AR-10 handle hot ammo better than M1A?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
March 9, 2011, 10:26 AM
A 175 won't bother your M1A. Other than voiding the warrantee. You will have to work up the load for it though. No two rifles will shoot the same ammo the same way.
A real AR-10 receiver is Al, as I recall. None of the rifles(Sudanese, complete with desert sand) that came through the shop, long ago, had any issues with any milsurp ammo. Don't recall anybody having issues with handloads either.
The AR-10 and the current crop of copies are evil up here. Not many around.

jerkface11
March 9, 2011, 10:50 AM
Just make sure you use the right powder with an M1A you don't want to bend your op-rod.

W L Johnson
March 9, 2011, 11:28 AM
Also, if you were to buy an AR-10, is one brand head and shoulders above the rest and are there any to stay away from?
Being picky here but there is only one company that makes AR-10's and that's Armalite, all others are AR-10 "like". But as far as which brand is better than the other, everything I read everybody seems to be happy with whatever brand they brought, without one brand standing out that much. I myself have Armalites. Once you pick a brand remember not all parts interchange unlike most AR-15 parts, some do, some don't. Mags stand out in this.

longdayjake
March 9, 2011, 12:08 PM
Why is it that everyone thinks that the m1a suffers from the same tendency to bend op rods as the garand? Anyone have pictures of a bent M1a op rod? As far as I know there is a release valve for excess pressure in the M1a. Am I wrong?

Fatelvis
March 9, 2011, 12:22 PM
I'm really not worried about bending the op-rod, but I think my 175 load beats the rifle somewhat, being outside of it's design parameters.

longdayjake
March 9, 2011, 12:37 PM
The military issues 175 grain sierra match king M118 ammo to snipers. My guess is that a bunch of them get used in M14's. You should also know that the receivers and bolts on the m1a are very stout and can take quite the beating when you compare it to other rifles. That said, I doubt the 175 bullets beat the rifle much if at all. I sell and shoot the m118 bullets through my m1a loaded and I have never had an issue. I have shot the same loads through a socom and the socom couldn't even cycle them because there wasn't enough barrel after the gas port to allow enough pressure to build so the piston could to do its thing. In my opinion the m1a 22" version can take the 175 grain bullets just fine.

benzy2
March 9, 2011, 02:03 PM
Both the M1 and M14/M1a action is built to take any loads out there. The op rods are the problem. While cracked receivers have happened in both, I have never seen it be due to the bullet weight and not due to mixing up powders on the bench. Both the M1 and M14/M1a actions are tough as nails.

Remo223
March 9, 2011, 02:20 PM
I've never owned a garand/M14/M1A rifle. AR-15/M15/AR-10 rifles have a bolt that locks up directly with the barrel. the receiver has nothing to do with it. So you should be able to shoot anything that won't burst the barrel. That's quite a bit. M1As probably won't take that much.

HorseSoldier
March 9, 2011, 02:35 PM
Being picky here but there is only one company that makes AR-10's and that's Armalite, all others are AR-10 "like".

I'll be even pickier -- no one today makes AR-10s. At least not the rifle built by the real Armalite company back in the day. What we have today is just Eagle Arms, who decided they could get a better market share by calling themselves Armalite and so, borrowing a page from Springfield Armory, bought the rights to the name.

So may as well just call a 7.62x51 pattern AR an AR-10, same as no one wets themselves when people call a non-Eagle Arms "Armalite" AR-15 and AR-15.

TIMC
March 10, 2011, 04:29 PM
I am running 150 grain SST's at 2810fps out of my AR-10 with no issues. I am loading for accuracy not speed but this is what the rifle liked best. Mine did not like the heavier bullet weights.

Onmilo
March 10, 2011, 04:51 PM
M14 has a self regulating gas system.
If you are the worrying type, you can purchase an adjustable gas screw for your M14 type rifle and regulate it for the type of ammunition you intend on shooting.

LemmyCaution
March 10, 2011, 09:56 PM
Any 175gr load that is within SAAMI pressure specs will run just fine in an M1a.

Gas port pressure is what wrecks the M1a. The cause is using powder that is too slow or bullets that are too heavy.

If your chamber pressure is too high, you'll blow out primers or rupture cases, just as you would on any other rifle.

Keep your bullets to 175gr and under, use reasonable loads of 4895 or 4064, and you'll be fine.

jerkface11
March 10, 2011, 10:42 PM
So may as well just call a 7.62x51 pattern AR an AR-10, same as no one wets themselves when people call a non-Eagle Arms "Armalite" AR-15 and AR-15.

We could do that but they aren't all built to the same specs so that would lead to problems. There are different barrels, magazines, and uppers. Whereas on the AR15 it's all the same.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can AR-10 handle hot ammo better than M1A?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!