Dry Firing

PDA

Newb223
March 9, 2011, 04:00 PM
I had always grown up believing that it is bad to dry fire a gun. I was just wondering if this was true or not?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Dry Firing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Birdmang
March 9, 2011, 04:01 PM
I do it all the time its fine. Just not on my CZ52 or on .22LRs.

Robert
March 9, 2011, 04:02 PM
Dry firing is fine to do in center fire weapons and is a great way to do trigger squeeze training. Dry firing most rim fire weapons is a bad idea as the firing pin usually makes contact with the chamber and could end up getting broken. In any event using good snap caps is not a bad idea.

Uteridge
March 9, 2011, 04:05 PM
Don't dry fire a rimfire weapon. What you can do if you are uncomfortable dry firing a centerfire weapon is buy snap caps. These are not necessary but you can use them if you want. They are great to keep on hand for malfunction drills anyway.

Sam1911
March 9, 2011, 04:39 PM
Here's the difinitive answer: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=531183

Actually, as that thread is still open and less than a month old, let's direct this conversation there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dry Firing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!