do you have pet names for your guns?

PDA

plmcrzy
March 9, 2011, 09:36 PM
I have a pet name for all my guns. my 1943 m91/30 Mosine Nagant is Pegy. my 1944 m38 is Ivan, and so on and so forth. do you all have pet names as well?:)

If you enjoyed reading about "do you have pet names for your guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DoubleTapDrew
March 9, 2011, 09:52 PM
No. I don't name any of my other tools either. I don't have anything against anyone that does, I think it's kinda neat but I just never felt the need to name guns, cars, knives, etc.
I will admit if I had a Mosin I'd probably be tempted to give is a Russian nickname. I keep thinking of Russian middle names to give my fiance's siberian husky.

Naybor
March 9, 2011, 10:13 PM
Well, yeah, my wife and I do.

CCW Kel-Tec P-11 is "Barkey"
12 Ga S x S Coach shotgun is "Boomer"
9 MM Derringer is "Derrin"
Wife's Ruger .357 is "Miss Pearl" (Mother of Pearl grips)
Wife's Ruger Mark III is "Rosie" (Rosewood Grips)
New Ruger LCP still in layaway is "Elsie" (I understand "Elsie Pea" is a common name)

19-3Ben
March 9, 2011, 10:17 PM
Only one of my guns has a name.

I bought my SKS-M and a whole bunch of hi-cap mags about two weeks right before the Obama v. McCain election once it became clear that Obama was going to win it.

I named the SKS "Barry" as a backhanded honor to our president.

slicksleeve
March 9, 2011, 10:20 PM
"Betsy." My Grandad called everything that name. His gun, truck, tractor, all 50 head of cattle when individually dealt with. So now when I carry a CCW, I strap on ole' "Betsy." When I deer hunt, I grab ole "Betsy" and go to the woods. Pawpaw is still living at the moment, a Veteran, and I live far away. Everytime I use the name "Betsy", I can't help but think of him.

Larry Ashcraft
March 9, 2011, 10:24 PM
Just one. My 1942 M1 is "The Veteran". I wish I knew its stories.

mljdeckard
March 9, 2011, 10:26 PM
Yes. But they aren't High Road. :)

newbuckeye
March 9, 2011, 10:31 PM
I have a CZ 20 ga that is long, lean, beautiful and my go to for doves. "baby girl" has a special place in my gun safe right next to her Moss 935 big brother.....

Bubba613
March 9, 2011, 10:34 PM
I have names for them. Especially when I have them apart and can't get them back together again.

Hardtarget
March 9, 2011, 11:25 PM
Only one of my guns has a name. My wife gave my M1 a name....Mr. Gerrard.

I had a manila envelope with M1 Garand written on it. She handed it to me and asked, "who is Mr. Gerrard"?

I had questions, too. :D

Mark

ChCx2744
March 9, 2011, 11:46 PM
I don't call my guns names, but I do find myself sometimes referring to them as "he, she, him and her." :)

XxWINxX94
March 10, 2011, 12:14 AM
Don't really give my guns names, but sometimes when my grandfather & I refer to guns each other owns, names form automatically.

My 1873 Winchester is often called the "Gran-Daddy" because it is the grandfather of my collection and most valueble.

Papa also owns a Judge, which you can guess, is referred to as the Judge.

Gordon_Freeman
March 10, 2011, 12:18 AM
I have names for my favorite guns. They are all female names. Most are named after fictional characters I like.

9mmforMe
March 10, 2011, 12:25 AM
No, I think its silly...sorry :uhoh:

withdrawn34
March 10, 2011, 12:34 AM
They're machines to me. Albeit important machines that I do have something of an emotional connection to, but I do not name them. I have nothing against someone who does, but I do not. I also do not refer to my guns, cars, etc as "him" or "her."

JohnBiltz
March 10, 2011, 02:04 AM
I don't name things that will not come when called, well except for cats.

kayak-man
March 10, 2011, 02:34 AM
My Savage 111 in 30-06 is Katie Davis.
My SR9 is Samantha
When I get a Saiga 12, I'll call it Vera, and she'll be my very favorite gun :D

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

makarovnik
March 10, 2011, 04:50 AM
Ah, no. Do you talk to your gun like Sledge Hammer?

sarduy
March 10, 2011, 05:17 AM
the beauty and the beast.

Big Bad Bob
March 10, 2011, 05:59 AM
I named my Model 70 300WSM, "The Long Talker", cause he talks from a long ways away.

Don't have names for any of my other rifles.

The Lone Haranguer
March 10, 2011, 06:22 AM
Generally, I don't give inanimate objects names. If it malfunctions, I might call it names (You :cuss::fire::mad:!!!).

rondog
March 10, 2011, 07:59 AM
No. I don't name inanimate objects. Don't talk to them either.

pockets
March 10, 2011, 08:24 AM
Sure I do!
I call my Smith & Wesson; "Smith & Wesson"...my Walther; "Walther", etc etc etc etc etc.
The only exception to this is a 'Bauer Automatic' I own that is named "Shauna".... (I got it cheap because someone had engraved their girlfriend's name on it).
http://weirdjack.com/guns/bauer_LT.jpg

Unistat
March 10, 2011, 08:24 AM
Yes.

deadin
March 10, 2011, 09:44 AM
I'm sorry, but if I were at the range and the guy next to me was cuddling up to his gun and calling it "Sweety" or "Honey-Bunch" I think I would pack up and leave.:p:D:uhoh:

gathert
March 10, 2011, 09:57 AM
I call her... Vera :)

Had to put that in here, just for arguments sake.

Dain Bramage
March 10, 2011, 10:15 AM
Some.

French 1892 Ordnance Revolver is old enough to have earned a name: "Lille".

Matched Ruger Anniversary Blackhawks in .44 mag and .357 mag: "Hoss" and "L'il Joe".

Others are just variations of their ID, like "The Finn".

wy child
March 10, 2011, 10:46 AM
I have only named one of my guns and that is my rem 700 SPS rifle

Because I found the name quite fitting, the was Black Mamba
after a very dangerous snake.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson *

txhoghunter
March 10, 2011, 10:51 AM
Not really pet names....but the Glock 19 is the "dog-stopper"

However, I feel that the AR is going to take over the name, since I got it for that specific purpose

ProShooter
March 10, 2011, 10:54 AM
My Glock 23 is named Justin Case.

heron
March 10, 2011, 10:58 AM
I've only named one of mine so far . . . the long-barreled Saiga .223 . . . it's "Tin-O-Saurus Rex, Son of Punch-Press."

The Lone Haranguer
March 10, 2011, 12:53 PM
If you get a Wilkinson Arms firearm, they already have girl's names. (His daughters.)

Remo223
March 10, 2011, 12:58 PM
little friend.

as in "say hello to my little friend"...except in my case "little friend" is a NAA minirevolver.

pockets
March 10, 2011, 01:45 PM
If you get a Wilkinson Arms firearm, they already have girl's names. (His daughters.
Same with all Lorcin pistols.
IIRC: Jim Waldorf's daughters are named Lori and Cindy.

hso
March 10, 2011, 01:53 PM
Only one out of the scores of firearms has a "name" and that was only as a bit of humor amongst a group of us one day.

Stumpy the Clown Car Wonder Pistol, "Stumpy". A Para P12 with a +2 base pad on the primary magazine.

Claude Clay
March 10, 2011, 02:10 PM
i've not named them but over the years some have been named by others---

one young dude called my OMC "45 MAN" and than left before i could get him to explaine himself:confused:

another called my Defender " Oh Mother" though i admit i missed part of what he said:uhoh:

my 642 was called " Holy Jesus" :scrutiny:

"Yo Mister, we were just kidding" seems like an awful long name for a PPK/s but thats what the guy said when he saw it...

but i don't name them but for what the factory calls em.

M91/30
March 10, 2011, 02:16 PM
Ive been known to call my M91/30 "Old Russian" and variouse other nicknames. And my Cz-52 is normally referred to as The CZ. My 1903 springfield I call The 03 or 06 springfield, sometimes just springfield. On occasion I call my 10/22 an evil black rifle as well as my Sprayer due to its inaccuracy, I normally dont call it this but I should call it a black hole, due to the money that's gone into it and nothings came out of it.

skoro
March 10, 2011, 03:52 PM
No, but I call the 86 Toyota 4wd pickup, "old red".

Timothy_90
March 10, 2011, 04:49 PM
I nicknamed my muzzleloader "Darwin", because it facilitates natural selection. It earned the nickname when I dropped a nice buck and a big doe with it on the same day this past October.

Johnonthebass
March 10, 2011, 04:57 PM
I named my sr9 Wynona. I don't normally name inanimate objects either but my girlfriend wanted me to name it.

+1 to anyone who gets the reference

Remo223
March 10, 2011, 05:36 PM
I don't name things that will not come when called, well except for cats.
I name all cats "cat".

Philly Slim
March 10, 2011, 05:58 PM
"My friend"

http://guns4u.info/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/wildey.jpg

DrDragon
March 10, 2011, 06:24 PM
I call my 870 "Slim", after my old dog.

clancy12
March 10, 2011, 06:43 PM
Matched Ruger Anniversary Blackhawks in .44 mag and .357 mag: "Hoss" and "L'il Joe".
Nice Bonanza reference! They are a lot better gun names than Ben or Hop Sing.

andrewdl007
March 10, 2011, 07:10 PM
I call one Earl after my Grandfather who it belonged to. My 1911 is Pike after Pike Bishop in the Wild Bunch.

VT Deer Hunter
March 10, 2011, 07:14 PM
Dont have any but i call them "she" or "her" so on.

MathurinKerbouchard
March 10, 2011, 07:17 PM
I call my CZ P-01 "Svoboda" - Liberty/Freedom in Czech and most Slavic Languages

AuthorityDenied
March 10, 2011, 07:19 PM
This is Thumper

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h151/AuthorityDenied/IMAG0065.jpg

This is Brutus
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h151/AuthorityDenied/IMG_20101211_150220.jpg

THE DARK KNIGHT
March 10, 2011, 07:20 PM
I have two Saigas, I call them Marx and Lenin.

wolfe
March 10, 2011, 07:23 PM
I have a Browning Citori Grade III that my Aunt Marilyn won in a Raffle..

I call it Aunt Marilyn.. :)

rustedangel
March 10, 2011, 07:31 PM
My ladyfriend named my Ruger Mkiii hunter "woodchuck" because the styling and wood grips reminded her of the old woody station wagons. At first I was appalled, she explained that she liked the old woodies, so I decided to keep the name.

Normally I also don't name tools.

kayak-man
March 10, 2011, 10:25 PM
Ah, no. Do you talk to your gun like Sledge Hammer?

All the time, trust me, I know what I'm doing! :evil:

Owen
March 11, 2011, 08:29 AM
no.

RB98SS
March 11, 2011, 01:01 PM
I do have one that has a name tagged to it. It's a SW model 29 that my wife has called the "Dirty Callahan" It is now know as the same within my family. It's also my daughter's favorite to shoot -- with Trail Boss.

Dain Bramage
March 11, 2011, 01:33 PM
I have two Saigas, I call them Marx and Lenin.

I think that mix cries out for Engels.:D

Bernie Lomax
March 11, 2011, 02:03 PM
My FAL is called "Pele", because it's black and Brazillian.

EVIL
March 11, 2011, 02:25 PM
...wow ! :confused::eek:I can't believe that many people here name thier tools...? maybe it's lack of creativity on my part, but I don't want to cheapen the fact that these are weapons not little girl's dolls...

I call my GLOCK 21 - GLOCK 21 :scrutiny: and all my other weapons by thier proper nomenclature

but to each thier own ... I never gave my cars/boats etc nicknames either ...

kayak-man
March 11, 2011, 02:35 PM
...wow ! I can't believe that many people here name thier tools...? maybe it's lack of creativity on my part, but I don't want to cheapen the fact that these are weapons not little girl's dolls...

Honestly, I never thought of it that way.

My dad has a Diamond Back 380, or DB that he calls "Coop" (as in DB Cooper). Its not that he's particularly attached to the gun or anything, its just if he isn't carrying but something doesn't "feel right" he can ask me to get Coop, and no one knows that I'm going off to grab gun.

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

dovedescending
March 11, 2011, 02:54 PM
The CZ is named Mischka, and the Rossi is named Glamdring Foehammer :D

I name all my stuff though. The netbook I'm on right now is named Zoidberg (for now anyway), my cello is Celeste, my guitar Jennifer, and my cell phone Samson the Samsung...

g.a.stahle
March 11, 2011, 03:06 PM
My 1911's name is Sofia, and my Sig is Greta. Every vehicle I've ever owned has also had a name.

THE DARK KNIGHT
March 11, 2011, 04:58 PM
...wow ! I can't believe that many people here name thier tools...? maybe it's lack of creativity on my part, but I don't want to cheapen the fact that these are weapons not little girl's dolls...

I don't see why some people insist on pretending guns are "just tools" and the only purpose for them is self defense. Sure they fill that role, but to me guns are hobby first, they're fun to collect, and shoot, I think an afternoon at the range is fun and relaxing, and it's great challenging myself to try and be more accurate. For others it's hunting, or history, family heirlooms, etc.

I always lumped the "it's just a tool" crowd with people like, for example, the cop who doesn't know about/like guns, he just needs that Glock for his job.

Remo223
March 11, 2011, 05:22 PM
I don't see why some people insist on pretending guns are "just tools" and the only purpose for them is self defense. Sure they fill that role, but to me guns are hobby first, they're fun to collect, and shoot, I think an afternoon at the range is fun and relaxing, and it's great challenging myself to try and be more accurate. For others it's hunting, or history, family heirlooms, etc.

I always lumped the "it's just a tool" crowd with people like, for example, the cop who doesn't know about/like guns, he just needs that Glock for his job.
Lots of the old timers regarded a rifle or shotgun about as they would a shovel or a rake. My grandparents even kept their's in the garage leaning in the corner next to the shovel and the rake. Loaded of course.

Body Mass
March 11, 2011, 05:26 PM
My 1911 is called "Uncle Bud" in honor of my uncle who taught me to shoot.....

Gordon_Freeman
March 11, 2011, 06:20 PM
I agree with the Dark Knight. If I didn't name my favorite guns I probably wouldn't care enough about guns to be a member here. I was also inspired by the Tolkien world.

Shawn Dodson
March 11, 2011, 06:32 PM
"Fat Bob" and "Skinny Bob" are what I've named a couple of M4 carbines that are identically equipped, the only difference being that "Fat Bob" is fitted with a SureFire M500A Weaponlight and "Skinny Bob" is fitted with MagPul MOE handguards. (I named them after two former co-workers named Bob, who shared the same last name. "Fat Bob" and "Skinny Bob" is how we differentiated between the two, e.g., "Have you talked to Skinny Bob about ordering that part?")

"Hunter" is an older carry handle Colt AR-15A2 I rebarreled to 6.8x43mm for use as a general-purpose hunting rifle.

Joe Demko
March 11, 2011, 06:45 PM
no.

FruitCake
March 11, 2011, 06:53 PM
Yup!
As follows
P32 = Sissy
PF9 = Tom
SP101 357 = Bubba
Remington 870 Wingmaster 12GA =Punisher

pickinatune
March 12, 2011, 12:35 AM
My Israeli is "Ziva" (From that show NCIS), my glock is mary, and my mossberg 500 is "the negotiator". The names started as a way that I could offer comfort to wife in a situation that I didn't want to say "Sure honey, I've got my gun. And a couple of extra mags too if that thug over there tries something"

Toaster
March 12, 2011, 02:43 AM
I don't give names to my guns but I do refer to my shotguns as "boomsticks"

JohnBiltz
March 12, 2011, 03:01 AM

I don't understand why anyone would name a gun. It just totally baffles me and I find it very strange.

oldfool
March 12, 2011, 03:22 AM
do I have pet names for my guns ?

yeah
"mine"
all of 'em

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
March 12, 2011, 03:25 AM
Well, I have a blue 1978 GMC Sierra 4x4 standard cab long box that I call "Ol' Blue"
I have a white 1989 GMC S15 Sonoma 4x4 standard cab short box that "The White One" or "RX-78-1" (referance to the Mobile Suit Gundam animation series)

I have a Mosin Nagant M1944, year 1944 that I rever to as "Ivan" or "Izzy" ("Izzy" being a shortened version of her [yes, I say him or her, depending on what name I say] arsenal; Izhevsk)

I have a 1944 K31 that I've named "Swiss Miss" because she's a sweet shooter, just like how Swiss Miss hot chocolate is nice and sweet.

I have a 1940 M38 Turkish Mauser that I call "Turk" after it's country of origin.

I have a Savage Model 110 that I called "Fenrir" after the Nordic wolf god, because .243 is a good round for coyote hunting.

I have a pre-1970 Marlin Model 80 that I call "Marv" after a guy I used to work with. He was 63 years old and still doing the heavy work on 53' truck trailers. And this little .22 sure can do it's share of hard work, it's accurate as all get out and has never failed me.

I also have a pre-1968 Stevens Model 77F that I call "Bertha" well, because she looks like a Bertha.

I name my guns, I don't care what anyone says. I have yet to find a name for my Astra A-90, but I'll wait until I get to put his/her through his/her paces before I find a name for him/her.

Rubber_Duck
March 12, 2011, 05:05 AM
Giving guns names is ridiculous. Certain things should be named, like a guitar or a boat, but not a piece of steel and wood/plastic. Though I have refered to my M91/59's as Big Berthas but only as a joke.

Chisel Head
March 12, 2011, 05:57 AM
I used to call my 9mm Browning "Richard" and my 22cal. squirrel gun "Don Rickels". When the latter jammed, I used to call it "Jerry Lewis", to save on expletives:cuss:

dovedescending
March 12, 2011, 01:17 PM
Rubber Duck, guitars and boats are just steel, plastic, wood, what have you... what is the difference, exactly?

michiganfan
March 13, 2011, 09:26 AM
Nope never name anything but a kid and a dog.

Ian
March 13, 2011, 03:02 PM
I don't, but my girlfriend named her Garand Vera.

Sixgun86
March 13, 2011, 06:42 PM
Glock 23 = Ana. Guaranteed to get me home if utilized properly.

Noveske N4 = Sall. B/c no body messes with Sall. no body.

ridgerunner1965
March 13, 2011, 07:39 PM
i have a 243 model 7 i think ill name "oh come to jesus"it never has failed to kill any thing i pointed it at.

gdcpony
March 14, 2011, 08:46 AM
My wife calls my Shotgun the "meatbringer"
My AR at home and my M-4 out here share "Anna"
Most of the rest are not polite.

Screendmon
March 14, 2011, 09:01 AM
my glock 30 is called shooty
My knife is called stabby
haven't named my Taurus 357 yet, maybe shooty 2.

Shanghai McCoy
March 14, 2011, 03:46 PM
"Wynona" was the name for Crighton's pistol in the show Farscape.
I'm surprised nobody got that one...:)

I have a 54 caliber muzzleloader rifle that I refer to as "Big Ben" since it was built by a gentleman whose name was Ben. I bought it from him some years back when he was selling off his guns due to illness. It is a good shooter and fits me as if it was a custom build. He was a neat old guy and I try to honor his memory with the name.

gym
March 14, 2011, 03:55 PM
No only my woman

If you enjoyed reading about "do you have pet names for your guns?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!