If i put paint thinner on my ar15 will it ruin the finish?

PDA

Tough Guns
March 10, 2011, 01:29 AM
i wanted to paint the engravings red because i think it would look cool. will paint thinner ruin the finish?

If you enjoyed reading about "If i put paint thinner on my ar15 will it ruin the finish?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hso
March 10, 2011, 01:38 AM
Depends upon the finish.

Why do you need to put paint thinner on the weapon?

Tough Guns
March 10, 2011, 01:39 AM
its model paint, i want to put it on the fire button, but dont wanna ruin the finish. will it be good?

hso
March 10, 2011, 01:45 AM
You'll have to check with the manufacturer to be sure what the finish is or use the old refinisher trick of dabbing a bit on a hidden part, saaayyyy the inside of weapon or mag well or...

chris in va
March 10, 2011, 03:08 AM
Use a crayon instead.

W L Johnson
March 10, 2011, 08:19 AM
Use a crayon instead.
That's what I use, and it holds up surprisingly well.

AK103K
March 10, 2011, 11:03 AM
A wet patch of Gun Scrubber or Hoppes will remove the model paint. Wont hurt the gun. I do it all the time.

gym
March 10, 2011, 12:25 PM
crayons work, I did two guns 3 months ago, and they still look good. Plus if you don't like the color just use a toothbrush and take off the old wax and put on a new color. I first saw this on u tube, and thought it would come right off. Still on and gun is holstered every day. I like white or gold. Try it, it's cheap enough that it doesn't really matter.

rcmodel
March 10, 2011, 12:30 PM
Normal naphtha paint thinner as used with Testers model paint should have no effect on any modern firearms finish.

Only a really strong solvent like acetone, or fingernail polish remover might remove some cheap paint finishes used by low-budget manufactures.

Most AR-15's are hard anodized aluminum and no solvent will harm it.

rc

makarovnik
March 10, 2011, 05:02 PM
Paint thinner should not remove paint. I use it all the time on my car and guns without paint coming off. Now brake cleaner and bore cleaner is a different story.

Owen Sparks
March 10, 2011, 05:34 PM
It will not hurt the regular factory finish. I did the same thing to mine. Paint in the engraving as close as you can with Testors model paint, let it dry then put the paint thinner on a rag, (not the gun) and wipe away the excess. I tried red paint at first but it was so hard to see that I cleaned it all off and applied white. BTW, you can speed up the drying process with a hair dryer just don't get it so hot that the paint bubbles. Take your time and do it right.

DougW
March 10, 2011, 09:22 PM
Use model paint, then use CLP to gently wipe down the excess. Don't push too hard, and the paint will stay in the engraving, and wipe off the surface.

If you enjoyed reading about "If i put paint thinner on my ar15 will it ruin the finish?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!