Elk in Virginia

PDA

T.R.
March 10, 2011, 11:54 AM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/easternelk.jpg

I recently read in our local newspaper that elk from the Rocky Mts are being introduced to Nat'l Forest lands in southwestern Virginia.
This is a partnering project involving:

- USDA

- Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation

- Commonwealth of Virginia.

This news gladdens my heart!

TR

If you enjoyed reading about "Elk in Virginia" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hanshi
March 10, 2011, 04:32 PM
Re-introduced is probably a more accurate term. They were here before the Mayflower; they, along with wolves, eastern bison, etc, were wiped out by our forebears.

Silent Sam
March 14, 2011, 04:41 AM
They were already wandering in from Tennessee or Kentucky, whichever has already reintroduced them. I think it was Kentucky.

Cash4Gold
March 14, 2011, 05:23 AM
KY and TN have both reintroduced elk herds. The KY herd is much larger, something like 10,000 elk, the largest elk herd east of the rockies.

SheepNutz
March 21, 2011, 09:51 PM
They were already wandering in from Tennessee or Kentucky, whichever has already reintroduced them. I think it was Kentucky.
Correct, it was Kentucky. My dad, who ran Kentucky's deer program for 25 years, started the elk program. Now if I could just get drawn for a tag...

T.R.
March 22, 2011, 04:11 PM
Scientists state that a sub-species known as the eastern elk became extinct due to widespread settlement and related hunting. But the elk that find a new home in Virginia are Rocky Mountain elk.

TR

If you enjoyed reading about "Elk in Virginia" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!