Unknown pistol w/ hinged trigger

PDA

bowman1962
March 10, 2011, 09:12 PM
OK my highly knowledgeable forum peers. This is a pistol that a friend inherited from his late Grandfather. I know a good bit about guns but have never seen anything like this pistol. I was really amazed with the trigger that folds up against the frame.
Alright fella's any thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Unknown pistol w/ hinged trigger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LensWork
March 11, 2011, 03:03 AM
It looks like a Belgian Folding Trigger Revolver (http://www.nramuseum.com/the-museum/the-galleries/the-new-prosperity/case-48-the-booming-arms-industry/belgian-folding-trigger-revolver.aspx) to me.

SDC
March 11, 2011, 07:36 AM
It's definitely Belgian, but there may be more marks on the left side of the frame or under the grips that show which manufacturer made this one. This one isn't a true "velodog", but falls into the "puppy" or "vest pocket" category, since it's chambered for a cartridge halfway between the 5.5 Velodog and the 44/45 "bulldog".

Dr.Rob
March 11, 2011, 05:12 PM
Seems like someone found a trunk full of these... we've had multiple threads on this kind of find.

There are literally dozens of makers of these little honeys, very few are worth more than $150-200.

Nice shadowbox item/conversation piece. I wouldn't try and shoot it.

BMur
March 12, 2011, 08:19 PM
I agree with Dr, Rob,
Only thing to add is dating the "Antique". Notice the oval shaped Belgium Black power proof stamp in your excellent photo of the cylinder? The ELG and star "inside" the oval dates the piece to "Pre"-1893. The later stamp has the star above a crown outside and above the oval. Finding one of these actually functioning is the real chore.:eek:

If you enjoyed reading about "Unknown pistol w/ hinged trigger" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!