Best personal 9mm conceal carry...

PDA

todayzprophet
March 10, 2011, 11:30 PM
Ok...only going to provide two choices: Ruger SR9c or Glock 19?? Which one would yall choose of the two and why?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best personal 9mm conceal carry..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RancidSumo
March 11, 2011, 02:17 AM
This is an easy decision. G19 every time. The Glock has proven itself time and time again (especially the GEN3 guns). I've shot a G19 several times (don't own one unfortunately) and I love them. They are the perfect size for CC as well. Just replace the factory crappy sights with something better and you will be GTG.

Dr.Rob
March 11, 2011, 02:56 AM
Glock 19 is a very large pistol with a grip like a brick. They don't fit everyone.

MikePaiN
March 11, 2011, 06:02 AM
Ok...only going to provide two choices: Ruger SR9c or Glock 19?? Which one would yall choose of the two and why?
If you like Glock and can carry a G19 ...then there is no question....get the Glock.

memphisjim
March 11, 2011, 06:22 AM
the glock will dominate this post id choose it as well

G19G36
March 11, 2011, 06:42 AM
Glock G19 for sure. They are a worldwide duty pistol (both military and LE) for a very good reason. I carry mine most of the time.

Guns and more
March 11, 2011, 09:36 AM
Glock 19 is a very large pistol with a grip like a brick. They don't fit everyone.
+1.
Why get a large gun that is difficult to conceal when there are so many good choices out there? Just because a lot of cops have them on their duty belt doesn't make it a good choice for a civilian who needs to hide it.

CVA-66
March 11, 2011, 09:42 AM
For me, G19, it fits, and it works.
It's indivdual preference,ain't freedom great.
It fits for me and and shoots better for me than any other handgun I've used.

lost trucker
March 11, 2011, 09:47 AM
Ruger SR9c, small, easy to conceal, shoots great, excellent sights, etc., etc.

jiminhobesound
March 11, 2011, 10:02 AM
Have you been carrying? How do you dress? I suggest that you expand your search to subcompact guns like the glocks or how about the new Ruger LC9? Because I live in Florida I carry a pocket size 9mm either in a pouch or in my pocket. I was negatively impressed by even ten ounces of extra weight and a couple inches in size.

REL1203
March 11, 2011, 10:41 AM
I love my Glock 26.... Small, light, and still carries enough power for me

TonyT
March 11, 2011, 10:51 AM
I carried a G-36 for several years but found that I could not conceal reliably under all circumstances. I finally opted for a Kahr PM-9 (7 rounds 0f 9mm) in a pocket holster.

NMGonzo
March 11, 2011, 01:22 PM
kelt tec pf9

I will post pics of me concealing it in my speedo

Ledgehammer
March 11, 2011, 01:27 PM
I don't find the glock 19 to be large at all. Now compared to some micro 9's that are out there it's big, but I can conceal my G19 very easily under a untucked t-shirt.

ATBackPackin
March 11, 2011, 05:36 PM
kelt tec pf9

I will post pics of me concealing it in my speedo

Dude, I'm trying to eat here.:eek:

ATBackPackin
March 11, 2011, 05:43 PM
While I think Glocks are good guns, I find that the ergonomics do not work for me. If they work for you, I would suggest the G26 instead of the G19. A carry gun that you leave at home because you find it difficult to conceal is not a good carry gun. I am not saying you cannot conceal a G19, but that most would find it difficult to conceal all the time.

I have not personally shot the Ruger SR9c, but have heard mostly good things about it.

There are however plenty of great compact and sub-compact cc guns out there. Go to the range and rent some. See which fits your hands the best and that would be easily concealed in all attire. The gun that goes with you every time you go out is the best carry gun there is.

Best of luck.
Shawn

jim goose
March 11, 2011, 05:43 PM
depends how you want to wear it. You wont forget your carrying a g19.

fxstchewy
March 11, 2011, 06:19 PM
Glock 19.

Kingofthehill
March 11, 2011, 06:22 PM
Glock 19 but the SR9c would be very close. The SR9c is very underrated and it has a fantastic trigger with good adjustable sights. I also like how you get the second full capacity mag with the sr9c

I would just choose glock due to the availability of holsters and the tennifer finish. so for me it would be glock but by a very slim margin.

JOe

papa_bear
March 11, 2011, 06:32 PM
As someone who owned both, The SR9c is the way to go unless you have very large hands. The G19 is a great pistol but I found the SR9c to be much more accurate. I have the black version of the ruger and I can tell you its finish is more durable then the tennifer on the glock. The Ruger is very 1911'ish in its angle and thickness. I have a case of WWB and various other ammo in the ruger with out a single malfunction. Holsters for the g26 and g19 will fit the ruger.

Kingofthehill
March 11, 2011, 06:38 PM
As someone who owned both, The SR9c is the way to go unless you have very large hands. The G19 is a great pistol but I found the SR9c to be much more accurate. I have the black version of the ruger and I can tell you its finish is more durable then the tennifer on the glock. The Ruger is very 1911'ish in its angle and thickness. I have a case of WWB and various other ammo in the ruger with out a single malfunction. Holsters for the g26 and g19 will fit the ruger.

i also own both, and carry both. The Glock 19 doesn't require any larger of a hand to make it go bang. Also, the finish on the SR9 is nowhere near the quality and durability of the Glocks Tennifer... Very very few out there can even compare.

As for Reliability, as much as i don't want to come off as a glock fanboy because i am NOT and much prefer the M&P9c, the Glock is more durable and higher quality than the SR9c.

Anyone who truly thinks otherwise IMO is kidding themselves. I can see if someone came in and said "I shoot the SR9c better than a glock 19" but to make a blanket statement like you did, thats not being very realistic.

JOe

papa_bear
March 11, 2011, 06:44 PM
Here we go.... the passive aggressive attacks start......Joe, All do respect..... Your fan boy-ism is showing. If you re-read my comment about large hands you will clearly see I was not implying "Glock 19 requires a larger of hand to make it go bang" but rather larger hands might not like the ruger.

The back of the button on my jeans scratched through the tennifer finish when I had my 19 in my wasteband. My ruger under the same conditions has not scratched.

As far as "the Glock is more durable and higher quality than the SR9c" statement....... I do not believe you own the ruger

I sold my Glock 19 after carrying both back to back for a couple months. And you are the only person I have heard from that owns both and claims what you claim. Just saying.....

papa_bear
March 11, 2011, 07:29 PM
I'm calling BS on Joe here. Just go back through his posts over the past 2 months and look at all the guns he claims to own. Apparently he owns "a few of everything" a few sigs, a few m&p's, a couple glocks, a few steyrs, a few 1911, a few this, a few that, it goes on. I'm calling bs. However I didn't see a previous post about your SRc...... Maybe I didn't go far enough back...... I can see owning 20 or 30 guns overall but not exclusively 20-30 semi auto pistols.

Fisherdave10
March 11, 2011, 07:35 PM
SR9c. Why? The smaller size and the ability to accept the 10 round OR 17 round magazine make this pistol versatile. It was designed for concealed carry. The reviews on this gun are overwhelmingly positive and Ruger has been very good about correcting anything wrong with if there's something wrong with their gun.

You can also buy a Ghost trigger bar just like you can with a Glock if you want to improve the trigger feel. The internals in the SR9c are very similar to a Glock from what I've seen.

Willy G.
March 11, 2011, 07:44 PM
SR9c 10 round 1st mag 17 2nd mag. I like the thumb safety as well.
But I carry a 3" 1911 IWB or 442 in the front pocket or both.

lucky-gunner
March 11, 2011, 09:12 PM
Neither would be my choice for a CC pistol. Of the two I would lean towards the Ruger. Slimmer, cheaper and the grip is more likely to fit you than a Glock.

Nothing wrong with a G19 (I own a G23). I just think the SR9c is an easier platform to conceal for most.

Rubber_Duck
March 11, 2011, 10:00 PM
Kahr CW9 is a good carry gun if you don't mind the 7+1 capacity.

Lateck
March 11, 2011, 11:25 PM
I recommend the Ruger SR9c!

Small and easy in the hands. Great shooter.

Lateck,

Hal Carter
March 11, 2011, 11:50 PM
Glock. I just bought the Ruger LC9, but have not shot it yet. Even though summers are a challenge for me to cc, I'd rather dress around the gun that I have the most confidence in. For me thats Gl 19. There other guns that feel better in the hand, but you get used to it after a while. The glock mags are fairly cheap, trigger bars are easy to replace giving a lighter pull, and once you get used to the Glock, you will be a "fanboy", reguardless of the fact that cops usually have Glocks. The 26 might be a slightly better choice for cc but the main thing is dressing around your choice.

I know several guys who carry the small 380's and yes they are better than nothing, but who would want to go against an armed felon with a tiny 380 or 38 snub?

sarduy
March 12, 2011, 08:47 AM
glock 19

why?

because i carry one.

Dagnabitblah
March 12, 2011, 04:05 PM
SR9c is my choice!

Shot the Glock, bought the Ruger. It just felt better, personal preference.

PabloJ
March 12, 2011, 04:21 PM
If I wanted 9x19 CCW I would take long hard look at the Kimber Solo.

Prion
March 12, 2011, 04:36 PM
Glock 19

grisy11
March 12, 2011, 04:37 PM
SR9c is my choice all the way

needmorecowbell
March 12, 2011, 05:44 PM
I was also debating between the G19 and SR9c a month ago. I went with the SR9c because it was slimmer, came with the shorter grip option and just felt better ergonomically. I'm really happy with my decision. Shoots great and easy to CCW.

Kingofthehill
March 12, 2011, 08:59 PM
I'm calling BS on Joe here. Just go back through his posts over the past 2 months and look at all the guns he claims to own. Apparently he owns "a few of everything" a few sigs, a few m&p's, a couple glocks, a few steyrs, a few 1911, a few this, a few that, it goes on. I'm calling bs. However I didn't see a previous post about your SRc...... Maybe I didn't go far enough back...... I can see owning 20 or 30 guns overall but not exclusively 20-30 semi auto pistols.

Hahahaha... If you only knew what my collection consists of. Im a Studio truck driver, not married with 1 hobby... Guns and shooting

and calling me a glock fanboy is hilarious. Im usually the one calling people that. I much prefer the M&P to anything Ruger or Glock produces.

JOe

Benaiah
March 12, 2011, 09:48 PM
Gen4 Glock19.

I narrowed down my choices to the SR9C and G19 as well. In the end I chose the G19 because it didn't have the goofy features of the SR9C...mag disconnect and loaded chamber indicator. The height of the SR9C is only .4" less than the G19, but it holds 5 less rounds. I also joined the GSSF for $35 and got the G19 with 3 mags for $400! That discount made the decision a no-brainer for me.

In the end both are great pistols, but for me the G19 was the better choice.

todayzprophet
March 12, 2011, 10:01 PM
Guys, I'm grateful for the feedback. I really am. I went to the range with a rented SR9c and a Glock 26. (He couldn't rent me the 19 to fire.) The Glock was much more comfortable with me, so light, and so extremely simple. I practiced drawing this weapon more and more quickly during firing, and I believe that I could trust myself with defending my life with the weapon. My one little drawback was that I felt that I needed a slightly longer grip, maybe an inch, for my pinky finger. The owner gave me the magazine with the extension, and it was perfect. He also suggested that, since I was more comfortable with the extra grip, that I should just purchase a model 19 for the same price. Would be the same weapon, practically. So....I believe I will shell out the extra few dollars and buy the model 19. If not, then I will get the 26 with the extra magazine. Either way, even though I love the Ruger name, the Glock won me over in a tactical manner. Thanks again. Yall's advice and suggestions are incredibly useful.

dprice3844444
March 12, 2011, 10:32 PM
get the glock with night sights,extended slide stop and mag release.makes mag changes in a hurry much easier,and n/s makes it easier in the dark to find it if you drop it

psyshack
March 12, 2011, 11:43 PM
I carry a PF-9 full time.

But given between two offered. SR9c hands down. They can be tack drivers and no special I'm a block barrel. Not to mention,,, for what it's worth. It's American and worth owning.

lost trucker
March 14, 2011, 01:39 AM
If I wanted 9x19 CCW I would take long hard look at the Kimber Solo.

I wouldn't mind looking at one of those, however I haven't won lottery yet.....

armsmaster270
March 14, 2011, 01:45 AM
neither

Hal Carter
March 14, 2011, 08:20 AM
It all boils down to personal choice as far as fit concealibility, ect. As long as whichever gun is reliable, most everything else can be worked around. Glocks have been around so it is easy to find used mags cheap, used holsters, and even used glocks, easier than some other brands. To me the S&W mp fits very good but I don't like the trigger.

Jbabbler
March 14, 2011, 12:19 PM
I love my Glocks. That being said, the G19/23/32 platform is much larger than my other carry guns. Here are a few shots of a my Glock Compact and my CW-series Kahr.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/pistols/CWg23-2.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/pistols/CWG23.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/pistols/CWG23rear.jpg
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc81/jbabbler/pistols/CWG23front.jpg

martinclaybold
March 16, 2011, 10:24 PM
My vote would go with Glock 19

hgmike
March 16, 2011, 10:56 PM
Glock 19. The G26 wasn't an option but you might want to consider it. I love it. IMO the G26 is big for a subcompact, it has a 3.46" barrel. Most subs are 3".

Fishbed77
March 17, 2011, 12:18 AM
Well, since the original question is which gun is better for concealed carry, to clear answer is the SR9c. It's MUCH slimmer (a double-stack that's no wider than most single-stacks) and has a smaller grip.

It's also a much better shooting gun in my experience (better trigger and better standard sights).

If you enjoyed reading about "Best personal 9mm conceal carry..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!