Differences between S&W 4506 versions?

PDA

ss
January 6, 2004, 07:31 PM
Are there any differences between the older 4506 with hooked trigger guard and the newer 4506-1 with rounded trigger guard and all versions in between besides the trigger guard shape?

Differences in terms of fit, finish, quality, reliability, accuracy, safety, collector's value, etc.

I found a LNIB 4506 no dash going for $500. What do you think of the price?

It has black colored sights, trigger and hammer, but the slide stop lever and safety are steel colored. The grips had a straight backstrap. The trigger guard is rounded and there is no step ledge on the frame above the trigger.

It comes with original box and both a combat and target springs.

Do you think this 4506 model was produced right before the -1 revision?

Would the improvement/changes in the 4506-1 be worth the wait until I can find one of the newer -1 models?

If you enjoyed reading about "Differences between S&W 4506 versions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ss
January 8, 2004, 01:19 PM
BTT

VermontMike
February 6, 2004, 11:36 AM
Hi-
I recently got a 4506-1. I enjoy shooting it and think it's a quality pistol. I was curious about the -1. I talked to S&W and they told me the -1 indicated a heavier barrel. On Rec. Guns there is a thread that says the frame is heavier also. S&W would not confirm that for me. They did say the existing 4506 frame had been modified to accomodate the heavier barrel.
Good Luck

Higgins
February 6, 2004, 01:12 PM
According to an old Gun Digest book I've paged through, the original 4506 had a narrower frame that made it flatter. They pegged the change to a thicker frame to around the time S&W started putting out 10mm pistols, even though 4506 a .45

VermontMike
February 6, 2004, 02:41 PM
I asked this question of S&W: I've heard the frame and slide have been made heavier to accomodate the 10mm line? The 2nd secratary I talked to seemed knowleable and put me on hold while she ran the question past engineering. That was not the case, she said. The revision -1 was a heavier barrel and the frame/slide had been modified to accomodate it.
I would like some day to get a complete story on the -1. I have some additional info saved from NG's and if I can put it together I'll post it here.
Good luck

If you enjoyed reading about "Differences between S&W 4506 versions?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!