Types of Gun Owners According to Cracked

PDA

cleardiddion
March 11, 2011, 02:21 PM
http://www.cracked.com/funny-6719-gun-owners/

It's interesting to see that in recent times how the general populous has gone from 'OMG GUNS' to more or less an accepting attitude towards them.

Now, this isn't meant to be something serious as a lot of other websites or whatnot concering firearms but it is fairly even handed (at least in opinion, for a humor website) and an interesting trend towards views on ownership and use.

Note:
Uses some language that language you wouldn't want to teach small children.

If you enjoyed reading about "Types of Gun Owners According to Cracked" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Claude Clay
March 11, 2011, 03:19 PM
cracked follows a better logic line than my CT legislators.....
ain't that sad

DammitBoy
March 11, 2011, 03:29 PM
I've posted about this befoire and got told that we shouldn't take 'cracked' seriously because it's a humor magazine for kids.

I think this is exactly why we should be concerend as it directly applies to the group mind-think and the brain washing of our youth.

NavyLCDR
March 11, 2011, 03:32 PM
Or than a couple of technical mistakes, I thought it was pretty good reading.

Hardware
March 11, 2011, 04:23 PM
The most even handed treatment on gun ownership I've seen in modern media. From a humor magazine no less.

DammitBoy
March 11, 2011, 05:29 PM
Don't kid yourself - 'cracked' is not firearm or RTKBA friendly.

---

This magazine is an enemy of our RTKBA;

http://www.cracked.com/article_19038...gn=new+article

Did you know hunting is a war crime?

from the article:
We should mention at this point that hollow-point bullets were actually banned for use in war by the Hague Convention, which predated the Geneva Conventions, because of their "inhumanity" ... so it's a good thing you're not usin' 'em on humanity, ain't it?! Yee-haw! Let's commitin' war-crimes agin' opossums!

warning: that was the least offensive part of the article...

Nushif
March 11, 2011, 05:51 PM
Heehee. I laughed.

Shadow 7D
March 11, 2011, 06:40 PM
You do realize that it's a 2nd rate Comedy magazine right??
lots of satire etc.

Dr.Rob
March 11, 2011, 06:40 PM
Meh if you can't laugh at yourself, you're wound too tight. I chuckled.

straybullet
March 11, 2011, 07:25 PM
I found it funny, if you can't see the humor oh well.

NavyLCDR
March 11, 2011, 07:31 PM
You do realize that it's a 2nd rate Comedy magazine right??
lots of satire etc.

Considering most of the other anti-gun media is just plain ignorant, I found this article to be refreshingly well rounded :D

Blackrock
March 11, 2011, 08:42 PM
I can dig it.

NMGonzo
March 11, 2011, 09:08 PM
I rather be playing with my guns than with my ...

Sam1911
March 11, 2011, 09:17 PM
Any article that starts out...

The vast majority of gun owners buy a gun, learn and actually follow the rules of gun safety. They spend their time at the range, put it out of the child's reach, and teach their kids that a gun is always loaded.

Ain't all bad! :)

pacerdude
March 11, 2011, 09:22 PM
I didn't think the article was too offensive at all towards gun-owners, I just took the article to be funny the way it was intended. No point in getting upset at them, if you spend any time on that site, you will see that they make fun of anything and everything. It was not a personal affront towards the gun community.

BTW- I am a college student and have visited the website more that once, but I assure you it was purely for educational purposes :p

RS14
March 11, 2011, 09:44 PM
Cracked has many authors. As a result, their coverage of firearms has included everything from the above article, to citing the VPC on the TEC-9 (http://www.cracked.com/article/200_6-products-designed-solely-to-make-you-worse-person_p2).

They with some frequency utterly fail to understand whatever it is they're writing about. e.g. DARPA's guided bullets, which they seem to think can turn in mid-air to pass around a corner.

It's a comedy site. Don't look to it for accurate information or guidance on anything.

Smoovbiscuit
March 11, 2011, 09:53 PM
funny pi chart. I like stuff on cracked most of the time. I didn't find it offensive to gun owners at all, I mean it is a comedy site.

DammitBoy
March 11, 2011, 11:31 PM
it's a comedy site geared towards young males and most of their gun related articles are very gun owner negative. Negative like left wing propaganda kinda negative. That article notwithstanding.

How do you think young minds get brainwashed? I can't think of a better vehicle.

B yond
March 11, 2011, 11:34 PM
hmmm...my comments keep disappearing....

hso
March 11, 2011, 11:50 PM
The Normal

The vast majority of gun owners buy a gun, learn and actually follow the rules of gun safety. They spend their time at the range, put it out of the child's reach, and teach their kids that a gun is always loaded. Because it otherwise it is just an awkwardly shaped club.

This paints a better picture of gun owners than is actually the case. If this is their depiction of Normal gun owners, we're doing pretty well.

Gun laws in the US are confusing. You can be totally legal, drive over an invisible line and be a criminal. It is a legal system designed by Escher and built by W. Heath Robinson.

True and clever, both.

Anyone thinking about buying a gun should know your state's gun laws. Read them. Follow them. Know the laws of any state you are travelling to.

You'd almost think they were quoting some of the good advice given here!

Yes, the picture of Charlton Heston as the "Scary Dude" is immediately annoying.

General Geoff
March 12, 2011, 04:26 PM
At first glance I thought the purple slice of the pie chart was mall ninjas

ElToro
March 12, 2011, 11:19 PM
i like the pic of chuck heston. tarantino with a gun to his head.. not so much

kayak-man
March 12, 2011, 11:52 PM
For those of you who are saying Cracked is anti gun, heres the way the website works: You sign up for an acount, like here, and then you can make comments and post in the forums. Theres a specific thread over there where you can express an interest in writign for Cracked. You then get access to a hiden forum subset, where you post ideas for articles and brainstorm and write stuff up. So really, Cracked has hundreds, if not thousands of writers, and no, not all of them are pro gun, but thier not all anti gun either.

Think about it, its just easier to write a funny article with an anti gun slant.

I'm really glad they wrote that article, because it brings up something that I feel the shooting comunity needs to adress: The Scary Guy. (Mods, if you'd rather, just let me know and I'll move this part into a new thread)

The Shooting comunity is made up of a bunch of different sub groups: we have hunters, professional soldiers, LEOs, Shotgun/Sporting Clays shooters, Action Shooters, Collectors, and Precision Bullseye shooters. So where does that put people who are liek a lot of the folks on this forum: We have guns for SD and HD, we go to actual training classes, we use phrases like "Condition Orange," "Slicing the Pie" "Failure to Feed" and Spam Can" without once refering to food.

I know some people aren't into labels, but sooner or later, the public is going to give us one. It seems to me the prudent thing to do might be to take a bit of pre-emptive action. I'm not talking about the Mall Ninjas, but the guys who carry, can quote Massad Ayoob and Clint Smith, and stand in front of a mirror rehearsing "Officer, this man attacked me, I will sign the complaint. Evidence is over there, witnesses are...." (yes, I feel like there is a distinction there). I'm willing to bet that the general public can not tell the difference between guys like us, and Mall Ninjas. Wouldn't it be a good idea to develope some kind of term for us so that the civilian who gets training from Gunsight and Thunder Ranch isn't lumped in with Mall Ninjas under the blanket term "Scary Guys"

Just my two cents, and of course, if this is hi-jacking, I'll be more than happy to move it into a new thread.

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

Sam1911
March 13, 2011, 12:06 AM
Just so long as it isn't "Sheepdog!" :what:

;)

rocinante
March 13, 2011, 09:54 AM
I think the majority of THR members would be classified under SCARY.

This guy is just like the collector. Except he knows how to shoot them all, and has enough ammo for his collection to turn Syria green with envy. Convinced the government is watching him at all times from their black helicopters. We wish.

jerkface11
March 13, 2011, 12:06 PM
Half the time there's a front sight ad at the bottom of the page.

ZCORR Jay
March 13, 2011, 12:26 PM
There were good aspects and there were poor aspects of the article. It has some humor, some rational thinking, and some things we can all agree are distasteful or wrong.

I overall enjoyed reading it overall.

I also like the line "and teach their kids that a gun is always loaded. Because it otherwise it is just an awkwardly shaped club".

So many people people think that guns are these magical things with a mind of their own and can go off whenever when in fact it is just a piece of metal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Types of Gun Owners According to Cracked" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!