Campus Carry bill Tx

PDA

farson135
March 11, 2011, 06:45 PM
OK for those of you who don’t know HB 750 is a bill that would allow students, faculty, and staff who have a CHL to carry inside the buildings on college campuses in the state of Texas. Private colleges are exempted from this.

If you have Facebook here is the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus page that announces the event.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=131672306905531

If you don’t have Facebook the gist is that we will be meeting at the Capital Building (exact location TBA) at 9:00 AM on Wednesday March 16. Once there we will talk to as many of the house members as possible until the actual hearing starts at 2:00 PM. We are expecting the hearing to go on until 6:00 PM but it may go later.

I any of you live in the Austin area please try to show up for this (this is not just for SCCC members) and invite anyone who might be interested. I understand that many of you have jobs (I myself asked for the day off) but this law seems to have a good chance of passing although it is certainly not guaranteed. If you can’t show up (or you live in another area) we would still appreciate it if you spread the word to anyone who might wish to come.

Also if you want to contact the committee members:

http://www.house.state.tx.us/committees/committee/?committee=420&session=81 (thanks to Flintknapper for reminding me)

If you enjoyed reading about "Campus Carry bill Tx" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
u24sale
March 11, 2011, 09:00 PM
I am a staff member of a state community college and also have a carry permit. I think it should be my right for my own protection and that of others around me from deadly body harm.

farson135
March 11, 2011, 09:47 PM
Well if you would like to get involved there is a chapter of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus in Tennessee. You can have a look on their website and if there is not a chapter at your college then you can start one. Remember although most of us in SCCC are students there are many adults who work on campus who join us.

http://www.concealedcampus.org/state.php?sid=73

Flintknapper
March 12, 2011, 07:15 AM
For those who wish to call or fax the committee members:

http://www.house.state.tx.us/committees/committee/?committee=420&session=82

farson135
March 12, 2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks Flintknapper I forgot to include that link.

The_Shootist
March 13, 2011, 11:59 PM
"Lastly, on Wednesday, March 16, the House Committee on Homeland Security & Public Safety will consider House Bill 750, NRA-backed legislation sponsored by state Representative Joe Driver (R-Garland) that would allow Texas Concealed Handgun Licensees to protect themselves on public college and university campuses. The committee will also consider House Bill 86, a bill similar to HB 750 filed by state Representative David Simpson (R-Longview); House Bill 1167, a measure authored by state Representative Van Taylor (R-Plano) that would allow Texas Concealed Handgun Licensees (CHLs) to carry on community college and technical school campuses; and House Bill 1356, legislation sponsored by state Representative Lance Gooden (R-Terrell) that would allow Texas CHLs who are faculty, staff or employees of Texas colleges and universities to carry on campus. "

Sums it up

farson135
March 14, 2011, 05:49 PM
I am posting this message that was sent to me in full for anyone who is interested in the meeting. However the gist is that you can view the hearing online (point 3), if you are attending what you need to know (points 8-10), and if you would like to speak at the hearing what we would like you to do so we don't bog down the proceedings (point 7).

Subject: Additional Info on Wednesday's Committee Hearing for HB 750
Dear Campus Carry Proponents,

Please be aware of the following:

1. This Facebook event is now public, so you can post it to your profile, other people’s walls, group pages, fan pages, etc. We need to spread the word about this committee hearing and drum up as much support as possible.

2. There is a chance that the committee hearing may start late and/or run late, so even if you have to work on Wednesday, you may still be able to stop by after work.

3. If you want to check on the progress of the committee hearing from work or home, you can watch the live video stream here: http://www.facebook.com/l/9f2d90KbHX4nXPS4wvDm87-SBuw/www.house.state.tx.us/video-audio/

4. This is the HOUSE committee hearing. There is a rumor (as yet unconfirmed) that the SENATE committee hearing will take place the following Tuesday (March 22). So, if you want to show your support but can’t make it to the House hearing, you should look into the possibility of attending the Senate hearing.

5. If you want to brush up on your talking points by reviewing the facts, statistics, and arguments supporting campus carry, you’ll find that information here: http://www.facebook.com/l/9f2d9JeVi6MohNX7y1HD_zy_HcA/www.StudentsForCampusCarry.org

6. The committee hearing isn't scheduled to start until 2 PM, but we desperately need people to show up early and help us lobby the 172 legislators who aren't on the committee. We'll meet on the Capitol steps (south side) at 9 AM. We'll then divide up into lobbying teams and disperse at approximately 9:15. If you show up late and miss us, call (512) 921-1265 (ask for Scott), and we'll tell you where to find your team.

7. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: We need as many people as possible to show up at the House committee hearing and fill out position cards. The position cards are how the committee determines how many people showed up to support each side.

If you feel you have something compelling to say, we encourage you to also provide written testimony to the committee (bring at least 20 copies, and give them to the committee clerk).

We are NOT asking people to testify in person. If too many people provide oral testimony (especially if many are saying basically the same thing), it will seriously annoy the legislators and significantly dilute our message. Believe it or not, too many oral testimonies supporting campus carry could actually hurt our chances.

If you feel you have a particularly compelling story (i.e., you’ve been the victim of a violent crime, you have a disability that makes you particularly vulnerable to assault, you’ve been threatened on campus, etc.), and if you're willing to testify in person, send an email to SCCC Texas Legislative Director Scott Lewis (scott@ http://www.facebook.com/l/9f2d9hNG8JgnQB5_y6H09zmDjAw/campuscarry.com), and he’ll arrange to place you on SCCC’s official witness list.

8. Parking is available in the Capitol Visitors Parking Garage at 1201 San Jacinto. The entrances are on 12th St. and 13th St., between Trinity St. and San Jacinto St. Parking is free for the first two hours and $1.00 for each half hour thereafter (maximum daily charge: $8.00). Accessible parking is available with accessible routes to the Capitol. Metered spaces are available throughout the complex. THE VISITORS LOT WILL FILL UP EARLY.

9. You'll find maps of both the Capitol complex and the Capitol building here: http://www.facebook.com/l/9f2d939lgnt0l7uIvTe-cWuxEVw/www.tspb.state.tx.us/spb/plan/floorplan/florplan.htm

10. If you have any questions about logistics (alternative places to park, concealed carry in the Capitol, availability of food and restrooms, etc.), post them on the event page, and we'll answer them as quickly as we can.

We thank you for your continued support of this important issue and look forward to seeing you on Wednesday.

Sincerely,

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus

ToniBLACK
March 15, 2011, 06:14 AM
College pupils in a dozen states would be given new legal rights with a new bill. The legislation would allow handguns on university campuses. Those advocating for these laws say that firearms with pupils would make college campuses safer (http://www.newsytype.com/4787-states-guns-college-classrooms/). Those who are in opposition to the legislation have a simple argument. More guns on campus mean that tragedy is much more likely

farson135
March 17, 2011, 01:11 PM
For those of you who don't know the measure HB 750 passed the committee last night. There were about 20 SCCC members and various members of the community there to register their support. Interestingly enough the people against the measure seemed to actually set up a schedule for each of their group to come in and give a generic speech. Either that or by some weird coincidence 10 people named Katy, and 5 people named lily, etc , decided to sign up at the same time and they all began with I support the 2A but it will be bad because it will cause more deaths (why it will cause more deaths on TX campuses than on Utah, Colorado, and Virginia campuses and even the outside world is beyond me), it will cost money (verses more security apparently), and it will cause people to leave TX schools.

But I am not really here to complain (just wanted to vent a little) instead I would like to ask for a bit more support if possible. The bill might have gotten out of committee but it still has to be voted on in the house and in order to do that the calendar committee has to let it through with enough time to be voted on. So here is a link to the list of members of the Texas Calendars Committee and if you have time please contact the members and ask them to refer HB 750 to a floor vote.

http://www.house.state.tx.us/committees/committee/?committee=050&session=82

farson135
March 25, 2011, 11:35 AM
Here are the Phone numbers of the Calendar Committee Members:

Hunter, Todd – Chair - (512) 463-0672
Bonnen, Dennis – Vice Chair - (512) 463-0564
Branch, Dan - (512) 463-0367
Coleman, Garnet - (512) 463-0524
Cook, Byron - (512) 463-0730
Geren, Charlie - (512) 463-0610
Keffer, James L. - (512) 463-0656
King, Tracy O. - (512) 463-0194
Kolkhorst, Lois W. - (512) 463-0600
Lucio III, Eddie - (512) 463-0606
Ritter, Allan - (512) 463-0706
Rodriguez, Eddie - (512) 463-0674
Solomons, Burt R. - (512) 463-0478
Truitt, Vicki - (512) 463-0690
Zerwas, John - (512) 463-0657

farson135
March 25, 2011, 11:37 AM
For those who don’t know HB 750 (concealed carry of campus) passed the Texas House Committee and is in the Calendars Committee. The Problem right now is that in the Senate it is stopped their bill (SB 354) in the Criminal Justice Committee. I am unsure exactly what happened (I had to leave early and I can’t get the video to work) but it appears that they did not have the necessary votes to get the bill through without amendments.

Right now we are trying to get people to call members of the Criminal Justice Committee (also the members of the Calendar Committee but that is on the other topic) and register your support. It doesn’t take much time; all you have to do is call and register your support for bill SB 354.

The Numbers are:
John Whitmire - Chair - (512) 463-0115
Joan Huffman - Vice Chair - (512) 463-0117
John J. Carona - (512) 463-0116
Rodney Ellis - (512) 463-0113
Glenn Hegar - (512) 463-0118
Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa - (512) 463-0120
Dan Patrick - (512) 463-0107

Thanks to all those who help.

Dr_B
March 25, 2011, 11:49 AM
I hope you guys get it in Texas. We're trying for it here in Idaho. It's in our state legislature session right now.

Dr_B
March 25, 2011, 12:00 PM
Trying to get this same thing passed in Idaho. The universities are fighting it big time, claiming they should be allowed to decide what is safe for students. They are also making a case that college students are somehow more likely to shoot people because they drink, get upset about relationships, etc... My first thought was that everyone, not just students does those things. Then there is also the sometimes less obvious fact that university policies don't keep guns off campus anyway, and if shootings were going to happen, they would have happened already.

farson135
March 25, 2011, 12:33 PM
Personally when I was at both hearings I told the Committee to think about this, “how is campus different from the rest of the world”? I even gave several examples, such as that despite the fact that this hearing is rather stressful nobody was shooting each other so why would it be different on campus. The response I got from one senator was that the day is still young. Even the chairman proved his bias when he stated that there were more Antis than Pros on the speaking list despite the fact that looking at the witness lists it is about 50/50.

They are also pushing in the senate bill to make it optional to public schools by a majority vote but one wonders whether they have ever heard what Franklin said about democracy. Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. I wonder what the Senator would say if UT Austin by majority vote decided to get rid of the 1st and 4th Amendment for all their students?

Oh well hopefully the officials in both our states (and all the others as well) will actually have a moment of clear thinking and pass the Campus Carry bills.

griff383
March 25, 2011, 02:34 PM
Just called them all, lets get this thing done already

Dr_B
March 25, 2011, 11:31 PM
The Idaho campus carry bill died in the state senate today. It wasn't exactly voted out. Instead the senate state affairs committee heard testimony from a Moscow, ID police chief and a University of Idaho representative. Then they voted to amend the bill, but that vote failed. So the bill is essentially stuck forever in limbo; or basically dead. Good luck to you guys in Texas though.

You can see/hear the testimony from the chief and university rep on youtube. Search for "HB222."

gavelwacker
March 26, 2011, 02:18 PM
The Texas bill has passed and Governor Perry's signature is all that remains.

GEM
March 26, 2011, 06:00 PM
When did that happen? I don't see it on the texaschlforum.com page or in the local newspaper? You sure?

hirundo82
March 26, 2011, 06:07 PM
The Texas bill has passed and Governor Perry's signature is all that remains.

No, it didn't. SB354 (http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=SB354) was heard in committee last week and is awaiting a vote. HB750 (http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=HB750) is still in the Calendar Committee, and they still need to be hearing from people in support of the bill.

GEM
March 26, 2011, 06:35 PM
That's what I thought. The Calendar committee is the risk as it was before. I've done the e-mails to them to see if they get off the X.

As we all know that's the strategy. Everyone can posture that they support the RKBA and then kill it through chicanery.

As Ms. Tripp pointed out, Perry could have fast tracked the legislation but didn't. Don't see him on the tube pleading for the bills to get to him.

gavelwacker
March 27, 2011, 04:37 AM
Just going by what I heard on the local radio station. They said that the bill had passed and was awaiting the governors signature.

SpaceFrank
March 27, 2011, 01:11 PM
HB 750, last action 3-16 "Reported favorably w/o amendments," means it's out of committee and headed to Calendars.
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=HB750

SB 354, last action 3-22 "Left Pending in Committee."
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/history.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=SB354

gavelwacker
March 28, 2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the update!
David.

farson135
March 29, 2011, 01:38 PM
It looks like the Senate Committee will be voting on whether to allow the bill out of committee today so if you have not called the Senators yet please do so before 1PM. It is suggested that you call at least these three Senators (at the bottom) and tell them that we want the bill without amendments. The only amendments they are proposing (that I know of) are to make the CHL optional on public as well as private universities.

Sen. John Whitmire – (512) 463-0115

Sen. Joan Huffman – (512) 463-0117

Sen. Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa – (512) 463-0120

Thanks for all your help.

farson135
March 30, 2011, 06:40 PM
Senate Hearing at 11:45am
Senate Criminal Justice didn't vote on the bill yesterday in their regular meeting. Instead they're meeting at 11:45am tomorrow (Thursday) in the Senate chambers.

Senator Ellis (512) 463-0113 ) is going to offer an amendment to let public universities opt out. YOU NEED TO CALL HIM AND TELL HIM YOU OPPOSE THIS! Schools can ALREADY decide whether to allow concealed carry on campus or not—this is an underhanded attempt to Gut our Bill.

What you can do?

1. Attend the vote tomorrow.
Meet outside the Senate Chambers at 11:30am. It's 2nd floor, East side of the building. If you're late, the meeting is in the Senate chamber.

You can park in the Capitol Visitor Parking at 12th and San Jacinto. Feel free to bring a small sign or your Official SCCC T-Shirt

2. Call Sen. Wentworth: DO NOT let public schools opt out! (512) 463-0125.

We are letting private schools opt out since they are private property but not public universities since they are public property and state funded.

This you’re your absolute Last chance to make sure our bill goes through—call, show up and don’t let them keep us disarmed! Enough people have been raped and killed already. Show up tomorrow to let them know that Enough is Enough!

Chase Jennings
TXSCCC State Director

TXSCCC
March 30, 2011, 07:08 PM
This is for Texas's SB 354 to allow concealed carry on campus--you can still call if you are not from Texas---many of our students' parents are from out of state.

Senate Hearing at 11:45am
Senate Criminal Justice didn't vote on the bill yesterday in their regular meeting. Instead they're meeting at 11:45am tomorrow (Thursday) in the Senate chambers.

TXSCCC
March 30, 2011, 07:09 PM
Here's a complete list of senators if you can call all of them. It took me all of 4 minutes to call all of them (really!)

Please call the following Senators and ask them to send SB 354 to the floor WITHOUT an opt out amendment (please be clear that we DO NOT want an opt out amendment).

This is one of the most important ways you can help--we can't do this unless we all work together and do our part!

John Whitmire (D) - Chair - (512) 463-0115
Joan Huffman (R) - Vice Chair - (512) 463-0117
John J. Carona (R) - (512) 463-0116
Rodney Ellis (D) - (512) 463-0113
Glenn Hegar (R) - (512) 463-0118
Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa (D) - (512) 463-0120
Dan Patrick (R) - (512) 463-0107

TexasRifleman
March 30, 2011, 09:13 PM
Will be on the phone first thing in the morning. Thanks for the updates.

farson135
March 30, 2011, 10:11 PM
Sorry, apperently SCCC does not wish to meet tomorrow because the Senators will just be making a desk vote (i.e. there is nothing to see) but we are still asking people to call the Senators (see TXSCCC's post or my own previose post for their numbers) and ask them not to add the opt out amendment. Wentworth said he will not accept the amendment but Ellis is still going to propose it so if you have the time please call the senators. Thanks for the help.

Wes B
March 30, 2011, 11:18 PM
All of this begs the question.

How to carry when teaching. IWB, Shoulder Holster, other?

AndyC
March 31, 2011, 04:41 PM
SB354 has passed 4-to-2 - Huffman, Patrick, Whitmire and Carona vote yes, Ellis and Hinojosa voted no.

farson135
March 31, 2011, 04:48 PM
A few hours ago the Texas Criminal Justice Committee passed SB 354 with only a minor amendment (in reference to school hospitals). The next step is to get the bill to the floors of both chambers and have them vote for it.

On a side note if you are a college student or staff member the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, “Empty Holster Protest” is beginning next week, April 4-8. If you would like to participate please contact your regional director who will hopefully have some materials for you.

http://www.concealedcampus.org/protest.php

TexasRifleman
March 31, 2011, 05:01 PM
Great news! Thanks again for the updates. Let us know who to call next :)

farson135
March 31, 2011, 05:40 PM
The only people I know of right now are the House Calendars Committee. Once they vote it onto the floor then the House can vote on it.

Hunter, Todd – Chair - (512) 463-0672
Bonnen, Dennis – Vice Chair - (512) 463-0564
Branch, Dan - (512) 463-0367
Coleman, Garnet - (512) 463-0524
Cook, Byron - (512) 463-0730
Geren, Charlie - (512) 463-0610
Keffer, James L. - (512) 463-0656
King, Tracy O. - (512) 463-0194
Kolkhorst, Lois W. - (512) 463-0600
Lucio III, Eddie - (512) 463-0606
Ritter, Allan - (512) 463-0706
Rodriguez, Eddie - (512) 463-0674
Solomons, Burt R. - (512) 463-0478
Truitt, Vicki - (512) 463-0690
Zerwas, John - (512) 463-0657

GEM
March 31, 2011, 05:55 PM
On the TX forums, it's claimed that only a couple of no's in the Calendar committee can kill it through manuevering and the rules. Not being a legislative expert - is this true?

Did that happen the last time? Expert opinion?

farson135
April 1, 2011, 12:30 PM
I am not an expert but if a few house members on the committee decide not to vote the bill onto the calendar then yes the bill will die. (HB 750)

As an update please also request your senator to “suspend regular order of business” and have the bill debated and voted on the floor. Once again request to have the bill without amendments. (SB 354)

SpaceFrank
April 2, 2011, 10:57 PM
IIRC, last session the bill was left abandoned in Calendars. So yes, I think we need to start making phone calls to whoever is on the Calendars Committee.

GEM
April 3, 2011, 04:30 PM
It wasn't left abandoned. It will deliberately stalled there. The same strategy may be in play here.

The game is:

1. We support the RKBA - blah, blah.
2. Oops - business is against it. Oh, they have money. Business is against it as it is seen as paired with the parking lot bill and also if it covered private schools might break the property rights mantra (which is really a liability scam).
3. Oops - we would have it had but the bill didn't get out of committee. I'm so sorry - three Cheers for the RKBA.
4. As Alice Tripp said - Perry could have fast tracked it and was asked. But he didn't. Good ol' Coyote Killing, Gun totin' Perry. How about that!

Thus, the game will be if calls and faxes from regular folk outweight TX business interests. What do you think?

farson135
April 5, 2011, 10:46 PM
SB 354 is tentatively scheduled to be voted on in the Senate tomorrow. Please call your Senator and tell them to vote for this bill without the opt out amendment. If you don't know who your Senator is used this site.

http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/

SpaceFrank
April 6, 2011, 03:38 AM
I've been told that the way the TX legislature works, the two different bills (HB750 and SB354) can't be reconciled after passing their respective houses even if they did start out as companion bills. If this is correct, it means that mission #1 is to get SB 354 through the Senate and into the House ASAP.

This is what happened with the 2009 Senate bill, which died in House Calendars as discussed previously. SB354 should pass the Senate floor vote, but as soon as it goes over to the House, we need to keep up the calls to committee members, both in Calendars and whatever topical committee gets it.

SpaceFrank
April 7, 2011, 06:17 PM
Just received the following urgent message on Facebook from TX SCCC:

--------------------------------

Stop whatever you’re doing, and get to a computer!

If you’re reading this on your iPhone while driving down the interstate, don’t even bother looking for an off-ramp; just pull onto the shoulder, and turn on your flashers.

We need you to IMMEDIATELY call the office of Senator Eddie Lucio, Jr., (512-463-0127), and POLITELY ask the Senator to support SB 354. If you’re a college student, faculty member, staff member, or parent of a college student, say so, and say which college. If you live or attend school in Senator Lucio’s district (http://tinyurl.com/txsd27), be sure to say so when you call.

Call now! I’ll wait.

Finished? Okay, now for step number two (this is why you had to get to a computer).

We need you to write a short note saying why you support SB 354 (campus carry). It can be as short as one sentence or as long as 300 words (but no longer). The most important thing is that you write it RIGHT NOW—this can’t wait until the weekend.

Are you done? Okay, now we need you to fax it to Senator Lucio’s office. Don’t worry if you don’t have a fax machine; you can send the fax (for free) from your web browser. The website FaxZero.com lets you send two free faxes per day.

Go to http://www.FaxZero.com/. You can either upload a Word or PDF document to send or simply cut and paste your note into the text box provided. Send it to “The Honorable Senator Eddie Lucio, Jr.” at (512) 463-0061.

Done? Great! Thanks for your help, and please be careful merging back onto the freeway.

Sincerely,

W. Scott Lewis
Texas Legislative Director, Students for Concealed Carry on Campus
Editor, CampusCarry.com
http://www.TexasStudentsCarry.org/

PS. This is not a joke or a ploy to try to get free labor out of you. If you don’t do this now, SB 354 may die without a floor vote.

PPS. Since FaxZero.com gives you TWO free faxes per day, why not also send a copy of your note to your own State Senator?

FIND YOUR SENATOR: http://tinyurl.com/r53zkf
FIND YOUR SENATOR’S FAX #: http://tinyurl.com/3u2vx9n

farson135
April 7, 2011, 06:57 PM
Done. Thanks for the update, facebook is sure taking its sweet time getting that message to me. I have informed as many people as I could about this and I hope all of y'all will spread the word.

Quoheleth
April 7, 2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. Fax sent. Continuing to help spread the word around my community.

Q

GEM
April 7, 2011, 11:56 PM
Doesn't look good if you check now. Conservative lackeys of powerful interests are on their knees again.

Check out the discussion on the www.texaschlforum.com

Both the House and Senate are falling apart. Hope I'm wrong.

farson135
April 8, 2011, 10:28 AM
It is possible that things are going downhill but the fact is that the senate has 20 supporters. That means that if we get one more it passes. So let us hope that our calls and those of our supporters will change their mind.

GEM
April 8, 2011, 10:56 AM
We've been down the Senate road before. Let's see what happens if it makes it through Calendar.

That's the kill point and it hasn't yet. Part of the plan - Oh, Yes - three cheers for the RKBA. Oops, we didn't get to it.

Surprise me, pawns of the paid lobbies.

millertyme
April 8, 2011, 01:12 PM
I am a staff member of a state community college and also have a carry permit. I think it should be my right for my own protection and that of others around me from deadly body harm.

Unfortunately, most other academics feel that there should not be guns allowed on campus because making rules will stop the boogey man from coming out from under the bed at night. Too bad more educators don't think like you. My last year at Arizona State a middle-aged architecture student went into his professor's office for a meeting and shot and killed himself. Lucky for the professor, the student didn't have the intention to harm him, or if he did, he forgot the order of operations or maybe had a change of heart once he was in the office.

You would think that someone who was educated would realize that laws against carry on campus only serve to disarm the law-abiding student who does not have any intentions of killing anyone, not the student with depressive symptoms and bad grades who can't get off the internet playing games long enough to do their homework and prepare for class. And let us not forget about the students with ties to gangs (who also happen to be athletes in large percentages). No one should be denied the right to provide for their own defense or the defense of others. I think that educators, at least, should always be allowed to carry on their person while on campus since they're the most likely to be targeted.

Dr_B
April 8, 2011, 11:45 PM
I'm an academic at a research university in northern Idaho, and I support campus carry. Our state representatives did not get the job done a few weeks ago. The far-left anti-gunners coupled with some high ranking law enforcement helped ensure it wouldn't pass. In fact, it never was actually voted on in the senate and is basically hanging there forever in legislative limbo.

SpaceFrank
April 9, 2011, 02:17 AM
It takes less than a minute to call a Senator/Rep and tell the staff you'd like them to support a bill. Usually, the staff member will take your name and address and put you on a list for the boss showing how many people bothered to call in and show support/disapproval. If things are as screwed as GEM is saying, I think I'll go down the entire Senate list on Monday.

paragrouper
April 9, 2011, 12:20 PM
We've been down the Senate road before. Let's see what happens if it makes it through Calendar.

That's the kill point and it hasn't yet. Part of the plan - Oh, Yes - three cheers for the RKBA. Oops, we didn't get to it.

Surprise me, pawns of the paid lobbies.
Sadly, I agree with you. Everytime I hit send on an email or fax I remember what Albert Einstein once said "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

The Calendars committee seems to be where we get jammed and I not so sure that they are concerned with what we have to say, unless we are one of their constituents. I know that when I sent ermails to the members of the Calendars Committee regardin HB 681, I had two emails rejected with the following error message.

"This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.
The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why each recipient was rejected.

Recipient: <eddie.lucio@house.state.tx.us>
Reason: Rule imposed mailbox access for eddie.lucio@house.state.tx.us refused"
I received the same rejection from Jim Keffer as well.

My real question is; who has the influence to get past this hurdle? I don't know the answer, but I think we need a new plan.

farson135
April 9, 2011, 03:08 PM
You should not send an email to a senator or house member through a regular email address because that will not work. They typically block such emails to prevent spam. Instead send it through their own website. All congressmen and women have an area on their personal webpage where you can send an email to them.

farson135
April 11, 2011, 11:21 AM
Hopefully today SB 354 will finally pass the Senate. If you have not called your Senator please do so ASAP.

farson135
April 11, 2011, 06:38 PM
Looks like the bill is going to stay stalled in the Senate. I think our only hope is HB 750. If that gets through the House then maybe a senator will change their mind.

farson135
April 14, 2011, 11:23 PM
I know many of you have called these and other senators but we have to keep it up. I personally have called these people many times and I will continue to call and send emails until they either pass the bill or the session ends. Hopefully all of our stubbornness will pay off. Also please send a call to Senator Wentworth and tell him to keep trying.

Senator Eddie Lucio, Jr: (512) 463-0127
Senator Mario Gallegos, Jr: (512) 463-0106
Senator Robert Duncan: (512) 463-0128
Senator Chuy Hinojosa: (512) 463-0120
Senator Carlos Uresti: (512) 463-0119 Senator Whitmire: (512) 463-0115
Senator Duncan: (512) 463-0128
Senator Shapiro: (512) 463-0108 Senator Steve Ogden : (512) 463-0105

Senator Jeff Wentworth: (512) 463-0125

farson135
April 27, 2011, 08:07 PM
Senator Wentworth has just attempted to pack his bill onto another bill having to do with schools. Please call your senators and ask them to support the AMENDMENTS to SB 5.

Lt. Governor David Dewhurst at 512-463-0001
Note:
* indicates co-author on original SB 354. We need them to support the amendment!

*Senator Brian Birdwell (R-Granbury) (Co-author)
brian.birdwell@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0122

*Senator John Carona (R-Dallas) (Co-author)
john.carona@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0116

Senator Wendy Davis (D-Fort Worth)
wendy.davis@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0110

*Senator Robert Deuell (R-Greenville) (Co-author)
bob.deuell@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0102

Senator Robert Duncan (R-Lubbock)
robert.duncan@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0128

Senator Rodney Ellis (D-Houston)
rodney.ellis@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0113

*Senator Kevin Eltife (R-Tyler) (Co-author)
kevin.eltife@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0101

*Senator Craig Estes (R-Wichita Falls) (Co-author)
craig.estes@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0130

*Senator Troy Fraser (R-Horseshoe Bay) (Co-author)
troy.fraser@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0124

Senator Mario Gallegos, Jr. (D-Houston)
mario.gallegos@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0106

*Senator Chris Harris (R-Arlington) (Co-author)
chris.harris@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0109

*Senator Glenn Hegar, Jr. (R-Katy) (Co-author)
glenn.hegar@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0118

Senator Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa (D-McAllen)
juan.hinojosa@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0120

Senator Joan Huffman (R-Southside Place)
joan.huffman@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0117

*Senator Mike Jackson (R-La Porte) (Co-author)
mike.jackson@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0111

Senator Eddie Lucio, Jr. (D-Brownsville)
eddie.lucio@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0127

*Senator Jane Nelson (R-Flower Mound) (Co-author)
jane.nelson@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0112

Senator Robert Nichols (R-Jacksonville)
robert.nichols@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0103

Senator Steve Ogden (R-Bryan)
steve.ogden@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0105

*Senator Dan Patrick (R-Houston)(Co-author)
dan.patrick@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0107

Senator Jose Rodriguez (D-El Paso)
jose.rodriguez@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0129

*Senator Kel Seliger (R-Amarillo) (Co-author)
kel.seliger@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0131

Senator Florence Shapiro (R-Plano)
florence.shapiro@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0108

Senator Carlos Uresti (D-San Antonio)
carlos.uresti@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0119

Senator Leticia Van de Putte (D-San Antonio)
leticia.vandeputte@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0126

Senator Kirk Watson (D-Austin)
kirk.watson@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0114

**Senator Jeff Wentworth (R-San Antonio)
Author of the Amendment to SB 5
jeff.wentworth@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0125

Senator Royce West (D-Dallas)
royce.west@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0123

Senator John Whitmire (D-Houston)
john.whitmire@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0115

*Senator Tommy Williams (R-The Woodlands) (Co-author)
tommy.williams@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0104

Senator Judith Zaffirini (D-Laredo)
judith.zaffirini@senate.state.tx.us
512-463-0121

UpTheIrons
April 28, 2011, 06:16 PM
Sen. Wentworth has added his Campus Carry bill to SB 5 (higher education funding) as an amendment (amendment #7). This has caused no small amount of freting amongst the antis. I just got of the phone with Lt. Gov. Dewhurst's office and the nice young lady who took my call said they've been getting lots of calls about Amendment #7, and we could be doing a better job of getting through.

She asked that anyone who is in favor of Amendment #7 should not only call their senators, but they should also call the Lt. Gov (at 512-463-0001).

Get on the horn, and spread the word as you can. Sen. Zaffirini is having a conniption over this, and the Wood-heads are scrambling, too.

farson135
May 9, 2011, 07:29 PM
Campus carry just made it through the Senate piggybacked on another bill. Now we just need to pass it in the House.

GEM
May 9, 2011, 08:32 PM
NO calendar shennanigans!!!

There was some indication it also would include private schools. Anyone know?

farson135
May 9, 2011, 09:09 PM
GEM- No, private schools have the option to do so but will not be forced.

farson135
May 10, 2011, 01:27 PM
Basically what we need you to do is talk to House members in appropriations and ask them to pass both SB 1581 and Senator Wentworths amendment to said.

Campus Carry recently passed in the Texas Senate, and now we need your help more than ever to get it through the House! This shouldn't take more than 5 minutes total.

1. Call, email, or fax Representative Pitt's office and ask his staff to preserve and support Senator Wentworth's campus carry amendment to SB 1581 (takes less than a minute to do):

Rep. Pitts
Phone: (512) 463-0516
Fax: (512) 463-1051 (use FaxZero.com to send 2 free faxes per day from your web browser)
jim.pitts@house.state.tx.us

2. Pick three members of the House Appropriations Committee and ask them to preserve and support Senator Wentworth’s campus carry amendment to SB 1581. Their contact info can be found here:

http://www.house.state.tx.us/committees/committee/?committee=030

Thank you so much for your support! We wouldn't have made it this far without people like you.

PerryNoyed
May 10, 2011, 07:35 PM
Mr. Farson is correct. Let me suggest, for those interested - I hope that's everyone in Texas - to do what I did. Call ALL members of the House Appropriations committee. The sense of my message to those members is shown below, as is the phone number for those members' Austin offices. Those members marked with an "A" are the Approp'ns committee members who signed on as an author of HB 750, which is the stand-alone campus-carry bill in the House. I thanked those members for stepping up to the plate to sign on as co-author of that bill.
With the legislative deadlines that exist, I believe it is IMPERATIVE that we make those calls NOW - Thursday may be the day the bill is being debated on the House floor.

When I called each Rep's office, I basically said this:
“I am not a constituent of the Representative, but as a citizen of TX I would like to give him/her some ‘grass roots’ input on one particular subject.”

Start here for those Representatives who signed on as co-authors of HB 750:
“Firstly, please express my gratitude to the Representative for stepping up and co-authoring HB 750, the Concealed-Handgun-Licensees’-handgun-on- campuses bill. That is much-needed legislation, and his/her extensive support is appreciated.” Continue with the next paragraph.
Start here for those Representatives who are NOT co-authors of HB 750:“I am calling because the Representative is a member of the House Appropriations committee. One bill the Committee passed is HB 3639, an education finance bill. The Senate companion bill is SB 1581. 1581 passed on Monday, 09 May with an amendment added which allows ONLY persons who are 21 years of age and older, AND have a concealed handgun license – ONLY those people are allowed – to carry their concealed handgun on college campuses. I am strongly in favor of that amendment. Please ask the Representative to work with the Appropriations committee, or on the House floor, whatever it takes, to either add the identical language as an amendment to HB 3639, or just substitute SB 1581 for HB 3639 – with the amendment included – whichever is easier to facilitate.

Thank you for getting this message to the Representative.”

Contact info is shown below."House Committee on Appropriations (C030)Clerk: Amy Peterson
Legislature: 82(R) - 2011Phone: (512) 463-1091
Appointment Date: 1/24/2011 Room: EXT E1.032

PositionMember
Chair:Rep. Jim Pitts……..512-463-0516 prime on HB3639
Vice Chair:Rep. Sylvester Turner….…………..512-463-0554
Members:Rep. Jimmie Don Aycock…………………..512-463-0684
Rep. Angie Chen Button…………………..512-463-0486 A
Rep. Warren Chisum….…………………..512-463 -0736 A
Rep. Myra Crownover……………………..512-463-0582
Rep. Drew Darby………………………..512-463-0331
Rep. Dawnna Dukes……………………..512-463-0506
Rep. Craig Eiland…………………..512-463-0502
Rep. Helen Giddings…………..…………..512-463-0953
Rep. Lance Gooden.…………………..512-463-0458 A
Rep. Scott Hochberg…………………..512-463-0492
Rep. Eric Johnson…….……………..512-463-0586
Rep. Susan King………………………..512-463-0718 A
Rep. Dee Margo………………………..512-463-0728
Rep. Armando Martinez………………..512-463-0530 A
Rep. Ruth Jones McClendon/..…………..512-463-0708
Rep. Doug Miller………………………..512-463-0325 A
Rep. Geanie Morrison…….…………………..512-463-0456-
Rep. John Otto…………………………..512-463-0570 A
Rep. Diane Patrick……..…………………..512-463-0624
Rep. Debbie Riddle………………………..512-463-0572 A
Rep. Charles Schwertner……………..512-463-0309
Rep.. Mark Shelton….……………..512-463-608 A
Rep. Raul Torres…………………..512-463-0484 A
Rep. Mike Villarreal……………………..512-463-0532 A
Rep. John Zerwas……….……..512-463-0657 prime A"

farson135
May 16, 2011, 03:40 PM
The campus carry bill will be heard in the Texas House on Wendsday. So everyone please call your House member.

GWARGHOUL
May 16, 2011, 07:16 PM
Can someone such as myself (a college student, but no in TX) qualify to call?

Greybeard
May 16, 2011, 08:29 PM
Sure, anyone can call. And don't hesitate to do so if you desire. You can bet that John Woods has the opposing college kids from other states doing it! The party you speak with may or may not ask where you live, but often they do as documentation for their Rep.

farson135
May 16, 2011, 09:49 PM
Yes, if you are not in Texas I know you can call and support the bill. Hell, most of the time the secretaries won’t even ask where you are from.

I also know about Wood's tactics. Both he and one of our professors at UT invited all kinds of people to the hearings and even sent emails (full of lies) all over UT to gain more people (interestingly enough most of the people at the House hearing were from that professors own department). Including exchange students, lab techs and TAs (in other words people whose jobs rely on having good relations with them), and other people who either won’t be affected or might have been somewhat intimidated into coming. So yes, call and let your voice be heard. You have as much right as anyone else to state your opinion.

Here is where you can find a list of all the Texas House members.
http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/

farson135
May 18, 2011, 07:19 PM
Just an update. Debate on SB 1581 has been delayed until Thursday morning.

usmarine0352_2005
May 19, 2011, 04:22 PM

Any status on this?

It was supposed to be voted on toady.

hirundo82
May 19, 2011, 04:27 PM
They've been in and out of meetings all day, trying to come to a consensus on budget stuff. The official status on SB1581 (the bill containing the campus carry amendment) is that it's postponed until 3:30 this afternoon.

bryank30
May 19, 2011, 04:29 PM
Plus one.. Any news?

paragrouper
May 19, 2011, 07:58 PM
Plus one.. Any news?
They are still winding their way through SB 23. They have a ways to go before it's up.

paragrouper
May 19, 2011, 09:15 PM
Bad News.

Point of Order Sustained. SB 1581 is headed back to the Senate.

farson135
May 19, 2011, 10:50 PM
As you may or may not have heard, the campus carry amendment to Senate Bill 1581 was killed in the Texas House, on the point of order that it violated the Texas Constitutional rule against a bill addressing more than one subject.

As things stand right now, we have only a couple of options remaining. One potential option would be to attach the language of HB 2178, the decriminalization only or “compromise” version of our campus carry bill, to Senate Bill 905, a bill dealing with other aspects of concealed carry law. But in order for that to be an option, the House Calendars Committee MUST place SB 905 on the House calendar IMMEDIATELY.

Please call these members (and only these members) of the House Calendars Committee, and tell them that if they truly support campus carry, they will place SB 905 on the House calendar as soon as possible so that it can be amended to include the language of HB 2178, the “campus carry compromise” bill:

Rep. Todd Hunter (committee chair) - (512) 463-0672
Rep. Dennis Bonnen (committee vice chair) - (512) 463-0564
Rep. John Zerwas - (512) 463-0657
Rep. Charlie Geren - (512) 463-0610
Rep. Byron Cook - (512) 463-0730
Rep. Lois W. Kolkhorst - (512) 463-0600
Rep. Tracy O. King - (512) 463-0194
Rep. Vicki Truitt - (512) 463-0690
Rep. Jim Keffer - (512) 463-0656
Rep. Burt R. Solomons - (512) 463-0478

Feel free to call once a day through Sunday.

Sincerely,

usmarine0352_2005
May 20, 2011, 12:02 AM

Dang.

farson135
May 20, 2011, 09:43 AM
Please ignore the previous message. Do not bother calling members of the House Calendars Committee about SB 905. The House Appropriations Committee nixed any chance of SB 905 being used as a vehicle for campus carry, by recommending that the bill be sent to the Local and Consent Committee (ensuring that no amendments are possible).

Instead, we ask that you please call AND fax the office of Governor Rick Perry and ask that he add campus carry to the list of higher education issues to be included in the impending special session.

Office of the Governor Rick Perry
PHONE: (800) 252-9600
FAX: (512) 463-1849 (Use FaxZero.com to send a free fax from your web browser)

Call early, and call often. If you’re up for it, make one call and send one fax every day for the next two weeks. Don’t let up. Remind the governor that this issue has broad support among both the legislators and the people of Texas. Remind him that campus carry has never been voted down by any faction of the Texas Legislature and that it has passed the Texas Senate twice.

Thanks for your continued support of this important issue. Remember, the fight isn’t over!

GEM
May 20, 2011, 11:51 AM
Might check out http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=45208

before you count on a last minute change of heart from Gov. Hair Do, the Coyote Killer.

He's known this forever and done little to support the effort as pointed out by Alice Tripp.

farson135
May 20, 2011, 12:27 PM
GEM- I get that it is unlikely but the fact is that this is our last chance for two years to try and get campus carry passed here in Texas. Keep trying for a few more weeks and if it fails we will just have to wait for two more years.

GEM
May 20, 2011, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure about that. A continued effort that looks ineffective weakens your case in the future. Folks may discount your supposed strength.

A better organized and researched effort in 2 years might work better.

farson135
May 20, 2011, 01:13 PM
The only thing that stopped the bill from passing was parliamentary procedure. We have the votes in both houses, a governor who supports (or will at least sign) the bill, and several very supportive reps and senators. Sounds like now is a great time and if we push a little bit we might just pull it off. Better to try and fail than to allow our rights to continue being infringed.

GEM
May 20, 2011, 05:54 PM
The governor just signed the sonogram bill - which he fast tracked as a conservative policy. He refused to fast track the gun bills. Figure it out.

Now, on the TX chl forum - folks are talking about the noble efforts of the progun folk. Some probably were sincere but they weren't ready to go to the wall for the gun bills. Sounds familiar.

I think it was pre-ordained as a majority strategy could have forced it but decided to fold and move to other things.

usmarine0352_2005
May 20, 2011, 06:01 PM
The only thing that stopped the bill from passing was parliamentary procedure. We have the votes in both houses, a governor who supports (or will at least sign) the bill, and several very supportive reps and senators. Sounds like now is a great time and if we push a little bit we might just pull it off. Better to try and fail than to allow our rights to continue being infringed.

What's the chance of getting it passed this year?

GEM
May 20, 2011, 06:13 PM
None - all the major players in favor of the bill realize that it is over. No chance for a magic trick in Legislature and Gov. Hairdo.

Surprise me but that's what I read on the TX specific sites.

Sending faxes, etc. didn't work when the game was truly afoot. So why now? Oh, Gov. Coyote comes out of his slumber?

I also worry that continuing ineffectual actions and faxes weakens the position. Better to try to influence the players electorally. I think, for example. progun Perry might not like his NRA rating signficantly lowered - want to be President?

farson135
May 20, 2011, 10:17 PM
usmarine- Slim but there is a chance. GEM might want to be a naysayer but the fact is that there is a chance. All Perry has to do is allow the legislation into the special session (which from what I have heard the special session is likely to happen) and then there is another opportunity. If Wentworth can get Ogden on board (like he did when he attached the bill to SB 1581) then it can pass the Senate and as long as it is actually voted on in the house and is signed by the governor it passes.

BTW GEM, the game is still going on and I plan to play it to the end. Didn’t anyone ever tell you not to quit even when the chances of victory are slim because when you are backed into a corner that is when you show your real character. You might be willing to quit but this is something I worked and lobbied for and even if it is doomed I will play this to the end because that is who I am.

GEM
May 21, 2011, 01:08 PM
I use common sense and also think long term. Ineffective measures now weaken later chances. That's well known in many disciplines

I understand why you want to call names and have a rant rather than really think about strategy. Good for you.

As no one in the game now - thinks there is a chance, I respect their position and view as compared to yours. I also think your view is counterproductive and emotional.

farson135
May 21, 2011, 07:15 PM
Failure weakens chances. I was at every single committee hearing and at several Q&A sessions over campus carry and you know what one of the points they always made was? The number of times campus carry has failed to pass. I wonder what strategy you have to counter that argument and I also wonder what overall strategy you have in mind.

You have complained that campus carry is finished since the beginning of April so what do you expect me to think of you. You state that the bill is finished then when it keeps going and stalls you state it again. Should I start following your lead now or should I continue trying? Feel free to tell us your master strategy for winning next time because if your posts on this topic are any indication we don’t need you strategy.

BTW Wentworth and Driver said they will keep trying but they don’t have much hope. Sound familiar? (hint: exactly what I have been saying)

TexasBill
May 23, 2011, 01:58 AM
Bad news is we still have Perry for the 83rd Legislature in 2013.

I'm not going to say it's all over for the 82nd, but the fat lady is running through her warm-ups and it sure looks like she'll be singing away come May 30.

What bothers me a lot is the fact is we had a completely Republican-controlled, generally-well-rated-by-the-NRA House and Senate and yet we didn't get a different outcome.

The reality is that even though the number of CHL holders looks big, it amounts to less than 2% of the state's population and just about 3% of Texas eligible voters. Florida has a higher percentage (4.6%) of concealed weapon licenses in their population and Pennsylvania is even higher at 4.9 percent.

However, it's estimated that more than 30 percent of Texas households have a gun of some sort and that's probably fairly low because a lot of Texans aren't going to tell anyone about their guns.

In order to have some real clout in the next legislature, we need to attract some of these people to our side. One way to do that is to quit making everything all about CHL holders. The parking lot law could easily have included all Texans because they can already carry a concealed handgun in their car without a permit. This would allow them to carry the concealed weapon to their place of employment and leave it in the car. That's as close to a no-brainer as you can get and it might have gotten farther if more people cared about it.

This is just my opinion, but I think Campus Carry was hurt by the Virginia Tech incident. It was definitely hurt by focusing on such incidents instead of the occurrence of assault, rape and even murder on Texas college campuses. The Campus Carry debate should have been focused on the ability of students, faculty and staff being able to defend themselves against everyday criminals, not the rare psychos like Whitman and Cho.

So, just in case we don't get the last-minute miracles we're hoping for, perhaps as we prepare for the next round we might consider some new strategies and tactics. We've been preaching the same sermon to the same chorus for years when what we really need to do is figure out how to grow our congregation.

paragrouper
May 23, 2011, 10:51 AM
The parking lot law could easily have included all Texans because they can already carry a concealed handgun in their car without a permit. This would allow them to carry the concealed weapon to their place of employment and leave it in the car. That's as close to a no-brainer as you can get and it might have gotten farther if more people cared about it.

Just to clarify:

Sec.A52.061.AARESTRICTION ON PROHIBITING EMPLOYEE ACCESS TO
OR STORAGE OF FIREARM OR AMMUNITION. A public or private employer
may not prohibit an employee who holds a license to carry a
concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm, or who lawfully
possesses ammunition from transporting or storing a firearm or
ammunition the employee is authorized by law to possess in a locked,
privately owned motor vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or
other parking area the employer provides for employees.

SB 321 does not cover just CHL's.

farson135
May 23, 2011, 01:06 PM
TexasBill- You are certainly right about the conversation being mislead. Unfortunately Wentworth didn’t do us any favors when he framed the debate as preventing another Virginia Tech. I tried to stay away from that conversation and concentrate on their arguments on suicide, intimidation, crime on and near campus, etc. Actually the closest I came to discussing mass shootings was when I reminded everyone that people with firearms helped save the day (paraphrasing my argument) at the UT Austin and Appalachian State Shootings.

Actually at one point Molly Cummings (a professor here at UT who apparently put her ground breaking research on hold in order to protest campus carry) stated that this debate is not about what I was talking about but about mass school shootings because that is how Wentworth framed the debate. I suppose next time I will have to send Wentworth a letter and ask him to shy away from mass shootings and stick to the day-to-day stuff.

GEM
May 23, 2011, 06:15 PM
I was right in my prediction and my current comment was that thinking Perry would come up with a last minute Hail Mary was delusional.

Texas Bill make my point of rethinking strategies. If you don't learn from the past, you are not using common sense.

Also, I hate to say this but the proponents of campus carry have a naive view of the opposition and how to counter such.

You need to overcome risk analyses, liabiity analyses and pure antigun sentiment as compared to the low probability of a rampage and/or defense of individuals vs. criminals.

You need to counter these arguments on cognitive levels and as well as understanding the emotional level. It wasn't done. The power of colleges and business interests were enough to thwart the standard RKBA rhetoric. Also, the RKBA folks need to understand that they were played by pseudosupporters.

But I said that before. Take it or leave it.

farson135
May 23, 2011, 06:40 PM
GEM-Are we really going to get into semantics here? Would vs. Could.

Read above post.

TexasBill
May 23, 2011, 08:26 PM
Just to clarify:

Sec.A52.061.AARESTRICTION ON PROHIBITING EMPLOYEE ACCESS TO
OR STORAGE OF FIREARM OR AMMUNITION. A public or private employer
may not prohibit an employee who holds a license to carry a
concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,
who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm, or who lawfully possesses ammunition from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition the employee is authorized by law to possess in a locked,
privately owned motor vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or
other parking area the employer provides for employees.

SB 321 does not cover just CHL's.

Read it again, paragrouper.

"...employee who holds a license to carry a concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm...."

The employee must first hold a CHL to "otherwise lawfully possess a firearm."

If the bill meant what you believe, it would have to say: "...employee who holds a license to carry a concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, or who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm...."

paragrouper
May 24, 2011, 09:09 AM
Read it again, paragrouper.

"...employee who holds a license to carry a concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm...."

The employee must first hold a CHL to "otherwise lawfully possess a firearm."

If the bill meant what you believe, it would have to say: "...employee who holds a license to carry a concealed handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, or who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm...."
The comma after 'code' has the same meaning as 'or.'

TexasBill
May 24, 2011, 09:33 AM
My apologies, paragrouper! I must have been off in the ozone somewhere that caused me to forget proper grammar.

GEM
May 24, 2011, 12:07 PM
Semantics? Whatever. You continue to miss my points. However, that's fine. I hope that in future efforts - fighting to last with a failed strategy is rethought.

On the way in - this present defeat should be analyzed and new strategies designed, and tested. Outraged statements on the obviousness of the RKBA didn't work as compared to the real game underneath it all and the obvious power of the opposition and their arguments.

I remember a plant closure where I used to live. The plant was sold out to some outfit. The workers protested mightly during the last days of operation. When it was closed, they protested outside the gates. When it become a parking lot, some protested outside the lot. Yes, there was a slim possibility that God almighty would recreate the plant.

Didn't happend. The smart workers figured out another way to make a living.

A smart proponent of the RKBA would figure out how to win the next time with thorough analyses rather than wasting time on a miracle from Hairdo Almighty.

Since I had this pegged early on, you know what you should think of me - I'm smart. Ha!

farson135
May 24, 2011, 12:30 PM
A defeatist is not a prophet just because they happen to be right on one occasion. You once again miss my point. You stated the bill was done but it kept going. There is a possibility it could keep going again which is why I say to keep trying. You try to say it is hopeless when the evidence is against you. If Perry puts it into the special session it could still pass and Perry might do it. He probably won’t but he might. You may not like Perry but do not insult me because of it. Besides I already offered a change in strategy (you must not have read it because you want to chastise me more).

Guillermo
May 24, 2011, 01:37 PM
the chaos of the Texas Legislature is well established.

Last session I was working with TSRA to get something passed. We got defeated twice attaching it to another bill.

Some Senator must have had an aide watching, because he wasn't at any of the committee meetings I attended. The bottom line is that AFTER the session we found out that our legislation was adopted.

Obviously this is too high profile for that but the point is valid.

Until the last echo of the fat lady's final note has faded...it is not over.

mdThanatos
May 24, 2011, 05:13 PM
Well I have been hoping for this to get passed for quite some time, even had a big debate about it two years ago when it failed to pass. I am finally graduating from a UT El Paso in July, well that is my last class, and have had a few incidents where I did not feel like the university police department did an adequate job, nor did the administration. I would still like to see something like this pass for future students but for now I am sad that I missed out on witnessing it happen for me.

farson135
May 25, 2011, 02:39 PM
Well the word going around is that Senator Wentworth is trying to attach his bill to something else. Please take a few minutes and call your senator. Also please call Governor Perry and talk to him about the special session. It will only take a few minutes.

farson135
May 30, 2011, 05:37 PM
Last night, Texas Senator Wendy Davis (D-Fort Worth) filibustered a key fiscal matters bill that must be passed in order for the state budget to balance. If the bill’s supporters in the Senate aren’t able to muster a four-fifths majority to revive the bill today, Governor Perry will be forced to call a special session of the Texas Legislature. The governor has warned the Democrats that if they succeed in killing this fiscal matters bill and forcing a special session, he will make sure that the special session includes other issues they killed during the regular session. We need YOU to call and/or fax Governor Perry’s office TODAY and ask that he include campus carry in that list of issues.

While Students for Concealed Carry on Campus is a nonpartisan organization that enjoyed the support of a number of prominent Democrats (most notably Senator John Whitmire) during the 2011 Texas Legislative Session, there is little question that certain Democratic lawmakers played key roles in killing our campus carry bills. As you’ll recall, two Democratic Senators ( http://www.facebook.com/l/ccb57mc__jTwz97RJW-p0bNXdIg/tinyurl.com/3qdt78o) managed to slow down the progress of Senator Wentworth’s SB 354 by lying to both their colleagues and the public about the bill’s potential impact. And when Senator Wentworth finally got campus carry passed out of the Senate as an amendment to another bill, a Democrat in the House managed to kill that bill on a parliamentary point of order. Despite having the support of at least 90 of 150 Representatives and 20 of 31 Senators, campus carry failed because a small minority was able to tie up the legislation with political gamesmanship.

Please contact the governor’s office TODAY (even if you’ve already done so in the past), and ask that campus carry be added to the special session call.

The Honorable Rick Perry
Office of the Governor
VOICE: (512) 463-1782
FAX: (512) 463-1849 (Remember, you can send two free faxes per day from your web browser, using FaxZero.com)

Thank you,

http://www.facebook.com/l/ccb57DgcGliTH6CabhCNqb4Belw/www.StudentsForCampusCarry.org

TexasBill
May 31, 2011, 04:46 AM
Perry is already in favor of Campus Carry. The question is does he place a high enough priority on it to make a topic for the special session? The budget is going to be contentious enough and there are other issues more pressing to other Texans. Plus, Perry may look at the Parking Lot bill and decide that's good enough for this session.

The big thing to remember right now is that Perry is quite possibly setting up a run for the Republican nomination for President. That means he is probably going to pick issues he sees as political "winners" for the session. Good Tea Party stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "Campus Carry bill Tx" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!