Want a GOOD AK47 for $500 or less.

PDA

GWARGHOUL
March 11, 2011, 11:38 PM
I almost pulled the trigger and bought a Romanian AK-47.

..This one to be exact..

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct765.aspx

But I've been reading less than stellar things about Romanian AK's, and just want to get some opinions on WHAT is better, that I can afford, and WHERE I can buy one?

I grew up with guns like a .348 and 22-250 etc, and am just getting back into guns, but the AK isn't as easy to pick as say an old Winchester.

Your help and guidance is much appreciated.

-Steve

If you enjoyed reading about "Want a GOOD AK47 for $500 or less." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cbrgator
March 11, 2011, 11:41 PM
Romanian AK's can be very good weapons. My suggestion to you is do not purchase one over the internet. If you are looking into the Romanian WASR's, you should physically handle the weapon and check for any problems. A search will reveal the typical WASR issues to look for, most notably the front sight cant.

nalioth
March 11, 2011, 11:41 PM
You're reading memes.

WASRs have never been bad rifles, they're just not "pretty" enough for some.

They also don't cost a lot, which makes the blue-bloods talk trash about them.

WOW $489!

If you wait a a few weeks, the Saigas'll be off the boat and you can find a 7.62x39 model for about $350. Convert it yourself, and you'll have the best AK you can get.

WASRs are made of recycled rifles. Saigas are made of all new parts.

A search will reveal the typical WASR issues to look for, most notably the front sight cant.Which isn't an issue as long as you can zero it.

"Mag wobble" isn't an issue any more than you being covered with hair. All AKs have wobbly mags to some extent. Almost 10 years ago the WASRs were modified by folks that cut'em a bit wide, and the wobble caused malfunctions - this is the mag wobble that you want to watch out for. None of that has been seen in years (most of what you hear about "mag wobble" in recent years is yahoos who expect their AK to be tight non-rattly rifles [IOW, they don't know what they're talking about])

kayak-man
March 11, 2011, 11:45 PM
I second the Saiga. I have one in 7.62x39 and love it. I have maybe $450 into mine, and it shoots well. One day I might put tech sights on it, but as it is, they are good guns.

Chris "the Kayak-Man" Johnson

GWARGHOUL
March 11, 2011, 11:59 PM
See, the issue is I have to have a dealer order one from whole-sale.

So, I cannot physically inspect it.

Nalioth- Where will they (the Saiga) be sold? Also, what do ya mean convert it? Whats involved with that? This has my interest, as you say its around $350 and with some work, can be the best AK.
Thanks!

mwcharger
March 12, 2011, 12:16 AM
I doubt you will be interested in a converted saiga (assuming your not super familiar with ak's) they require a bit of tech knowledge and tools to do it correctly and IMO still are not as functionally similar to a real ak as the Romanian wasr10.

I'd suggest a cai Bulgarian ak-74. Ammo is cheaper, more accurate, IMO more powerful. If your not set on a 47 in 7.62mm then this rifle is the best choice especially since it can be had for around $350 new. I own one and out of all my ak's , it's easily my favorite and accurate.

Btw go to centerfiresystems.com. Atlantic is overpriced and centerfire will hand select one for you if you order by phone

nalioth
March 12, 2011, 12:36 AM
Nalioth- Where will they (the Saiga) be sold? Also, what do ya mean convert it? Whats involved with that?It's about the time of year when they're delivered from Russia. I think we'll see them all over in a few weeks.

Converting is when you take the rifle as it's imported and put it back the way Mr. Kalashnikov intended (or lots closer, anyway). This project thread that sorta outlines it (http://forum.novarata.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=183).

I doubt you will be interested in a converted saiga (assuming your not super familiar with ak's) they require a bit of tech knowledge and tools to do it correctlyExcuse me, but you are wrong.

I know dozens of folks who have never lifted a tool in school or as a profession that have converted their Saigas with tools they find in their garage in an afternoon.
and IMO still are not as functionally similar to a real ak as the Romanian wasr10.Wrong again.

A converted Saiga functions identically to any other AK in America. A Saiga after a basic conversion doesn't look the same, no, but looks ≠ function.

GWARGHOUL
March 12, 2011, 12:39 AM
MW, thanks.. I will certainly consider that info and the site.

But...what the heck is a FFL license? How hard, and how expensive and where do I get one of these as well? Damn, ordering on the 'net is hard.

nalioth
March 12, 2011, 12:50 AM
But...what the heck is a FFL license? How hard, and how expensive and where do I get one of these as well? Damn, ordering on the 'net is hard.An FFL license is what a gun shop has to have to operate.

Find a local gun shop and ask them what they charge for Saiga rifles, and/or what they charge for transfers if you order a Saiga online. You can order guns over the internet, they just have to be delivered to an FFL (gun shop) where you'll pick them up.

This may be of interest: Howto Order Guns over the Internet (Auctions, Forums, etc) (http://forum.novarata.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=179&start=0)

If you enjoyed reading about "Want a GOOD AK47 for $500 or less." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!