Mosin Nagant numbers???

PDA

korben88
March 12, 2011, 02:10 AM
I just picked up a Mosin Nagant, I got it and a 12 g shotty for $100, and it was kind of an impulse buy. I've been doing a bit of research on it, and I keep seeing people refer there's as a 91/59 or a 91/30.
What do these numbers mean, and how can I tell what mine is?

Thanks,
Troy

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Nagant numbers???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
neededausername
March 12, 2011, 02:43 AM
Go here, and learn whatever you need to know

http://7.62x54r.net/

I have a 91/30 that shoots like a dream, enjoy your new rifle.

korben88
March 12, 2011, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the link..... There goes my Friday night!!! :D

caribou
March 12, 2011, 04:20 AM
A 91/30 is a full length issue rifle from the Soviet Union.
The 91/59 is a 91/30 cut down to M-38 Carbine length, but retains, and is easily identifyable with, the rear sight of the 91/30 , with the rear sight increments renumber'd to the Carbines ballistics.
Original M91/38 carbines (the carbine of the 91/30 series) and its replacement the M-44 had short length rear sight bases.
The stock is also cut down from the original M91/30 length stock, there are ways to see this, the other carbines had stocks original to the length of the carbine.

I dont think anyone knows where or when these were cut down, but prehaps they were a salvage that a deep counterbore couldnt cure......?.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosin Nagant numbers???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!