"Geez, it's just a Glock"...

PDA

Slater
March 12, 2011, 12:12 PM
Some time ago I was reading a topic on another gun forum in which a member was bemoaning the loss of his Glock (can't recall what model it was, possibly a G19). Evidently he had taken it with him when he went fishing and somehow managed to drop it over the side of the boat, and down it went to the bottom of the lake.

He wasn't happy (obviously), and one of the responses that he got went to the effect of "Geez, it's just a Glock. They're a dime a dozen. Just go buy a new one".

That kind of made me think about my own situation. I recently bought a Glock 17 that I use for HD, plinking, etc. Between the wife's medical bills, all the other bills/expenses, just got a new job that pays less than my previous job, etc., this Glock represented a substantial investment for me. I baby it like it's made of gold because, for me, it almost is. I suspect there are others that fit this mold also, especially in these current economic times.

I hope this doesn't come off sounding like a rant because it isn't. Guns are a tool, to be sure, but for some of us a quality handgun is a substantial chunk of change and we regard it as such.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Geez, it's just a Glock"..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
X-Rap
March 12, 2011, 12:24 PM
Your point is well taken and I would hate to lose one in the lake as well. What I will say however is aside from dragging it down the road with your truck or throwing it into that canyon north of you your Glock will hold up to all of the honest use you can give it.
The finish is tough and not pretty to start with use it well and enjoy.

HOOfan_1
March 12, 2011, 12:27 PM
"Geez, it's just a Glock. They're a dime a dozen. Just go buy a new one".

Wonder how that guy would feel if he dropped a wad of 24 $20 bills overboard....

General Geoff
March 12, 2011, 12:28 PM
Not everyone can consider a $450+ tool disposable. Some folks might be able to buy a Glock on a whim, others might save up conservatively for a year or more to afford one. People come from all walks of life and all manner of financial situations, it's nobody's place to blame someone for lamenting the loss of a tool that might seem cheap to some but an investment to others.

gathert
March 12, 2011, 12:33 PM
And we all like certain things we have more than others. Based on the "just go get another one logic" I would ask the guy that said that if he had a dog, and it ran, would he just go buy another one and not be sad about it? I dont think so.

SharpsDressedMan
March 12, 2011, 12:36 PM
Glocks are unique in their design and overall quality, etc. What is slightly different about them in a different view, is that they pretty much all look alike. Glocks have steadily moved up my list of top fireams, but not from an aesthetic viewpoint. Other guns are more beautiful, more rare, and take to customizing,etc, and that makes them more "personal". Many gun fans avoid Glocks because they want MORE from their guns than just pure function and performance. You can't put ivory on a Glock very easily, and plastic and Tenifer don't inspire lust as much as beautiful blued steel and walnut. I now have a Glock 29 that seems to be the absolute, ultimate, last gun I'd ever need for the true intended purpose of a handgun, personal defense. A Glock 29 holds 11 rounds of a potent fighting cartridge, CAN fit in a pocket (although it would be slow to draw and bulges like hell, it still goes in a front jean pocket), and puts all of its round into a tangerine sized group at 50 feet. If I ever lost it, dropped in the lake, or gave it up to cops in a SD shooting, I can run right out and get another that looks just like it for reasonable money. I am considering getting a second someday, just to avoid the inconvenience of a "loss". For the less-than-Glock-lover, of course, they are "expendable", but I place a high value of intrinsic worth on just about any of them (yes, they all GENERALLY perform that well). They are easily worth the money spent on them, and they will be easily worth the money to replace them, if lost. The nice thing is, if you love them, you get a replacment that should be every bit of the gun you lost. They are consistent in quality, too.

Ole Coot
March 12, 2011, 12:55 PM
Expensive tool to lose. I wouldn't be very happy if I lost one either. Maybe being wealthy gives you a different perspective? Wouldn't know myself.

Frozen North
March 12, 2011, 01:00 PM
It would cost about 60,000 dimes to buy a dozen glocks....

Average is about $500, that ain't pocket change to me!!

medalguy
March 12, 2011, 01:11 PM
Glock, schmock. Doesn't matter what you're talking about, if you spend several hundred dollars on it, it's just plain silly to take the position that "oh well, I'll just buy another."

Most of my life I was in the position of most guys (and gals) here. I had to work for what I had and I learned to appreciate the value of a dollar. I saved and invested wisely and now it's paying me back for the sacrifices I made in my younger years. Now that I've achieved a certain age, I have considerably more resources available and I can buy whatever I want to without having to worry about what's going on the table tonight. Having said that, I still consider what I'm spending money on, and I would never take the position that the money wasn't important. I KNOW it's important.

Justin
March 12, 2011, 01:13 PM
While a $500 handgun represents a significant outlay of cash for most people, at the end of the day, it is just a Glock. There are millions more just like it.

Were my Glock lost or destroyed, I'd be upset, but not as upset had it been something like a Mateba or a Colt 70 Series 1911.

THE DARK KNIGHT
March 12, 2011, 01:31 PM
I know his pain, I recently lost all of my guns in a very deep lake :D

Seriously though, it's unfortunately like that with anything. I've seen guys toss a $400 torque wrench around like it's nothing. Or how about the spoiled rich kids who get a Lexus for their 16th birthday and don't think a anything of it?

Chances are the person who said that is probably well off financially and not very appreciative of the things they have, or fully aware of how hard money is to come by for some.

Justin
March 12, 2011, 01:37 PM
I know his pain, I recently lost all of my guns in a very deep lake

That gag's so old it's got whiskers.

HOOfan_1
March 12, 2011, 01:46 PM

Yeah I've seen that gag here many times. What is the point? Is that how people supposedly get their wives to allow them to buy more?

ThePenguinKnight
March 12, 2011, 02:32 PM
Glock or otherwise, it's a wad of cash sitting on the bottom of the lake. Now he's got to report it and its SN to the police in case someone manages to recover it and use it in a crime somewhere, and he's got to buy and learn a new handgun (similar as they are, each one is just that little bit different), and live with feeling like a dummy for a long while over having taken it unsecured into that situation and losing it.

I'd feel like an idiot and lament the loss of my weapon too, even if it was my old Rem 870 shotgun for which I paid a mere $205. Two hundred bucks is a lot to me. More importantly, it's my gun, my tool, my investment, and I like it. A lot.

I think it's the Marines that say it, "... There are many like it, but this one is mine."

yeti
March 12, 2011, 02:39 PM
Heck, I get upset when I reach in my pocket thinking I have a buck in change and only come up with 95, so losing, even:evil:, a Glock would turn my brain into guano.

The wampum to replace so much as a beat to death H&R revolver don't exactly grow on the trees in this part of the world.

... but I could replace "just a Glock" easier than Dad's old K-38. Not that I have the available doubloons to think of attempting either right now.:mad:

The Lone Haranguer
March 12, 2011, 02:41 PM
Perhaps they mean it in the sense that they are popular and readily available, therefore easier to replace than a collector's item. I would not feel as bad about losing a Glock over the side of a boat as, say, an original Smith & Wesson Registered Magnum. :uhoh: And if by some miracle you were able to salvage the Glock from the bottom of a lake, even years later, it would probably still function. :D

buck460XVR
March 12, 2011, 03:11 PM
Perhaps they mean it in the sense that they are popular and readily available, therefore easier to replace than a collector's item.

........exactly. How many of us have heard of a Glock "safe Queen" that is only taken out occasionally and drooled over?:rolleyes:

Sure $450 is a significant investment, but compared to the majority of other NIB modern firearms available, it is relatively cheap.

gathert
March 12, 2011, 04:13 PM
Lesson here is: learn to SCUBA dive or have friends that do. I enjoyed chasing catfish last time I went.

HOOfan_1
March 12, 2011, 05:46 PM
........exactly. How many of us have heard of a Glock "safe Queen" that is only taken out occasionally and drooled over?:rolleyes:

Sure $450 is a significant investment, but compared to the majority of other NIB modern firearms available, it is relatively cheap.

$500 is $500...I still fail to see the significant of how collectible the gun is.

Would you merely say "aw shucks" if you dropped $500 in cash into the brown abyss?

I just found out my DVR cut short on recording a barn burning lacrosse game that my team won and I am so pissed I can barely enjoy the win. Guess some people just have a low boiling point and others could sit on the surface of the sun without breaking a sweat...

Jaybird78
March 12, 2011, 06:03 PM
How deep was the lake?

Like someone else mentioned, scuba time.:)

I dropped a $35 tool into water one time and that pissed me off.

hso
March 12, 2011, 06:23 PM
Anything worth an amount of money that is not trivial to reach into your pocket and replace is not a "justa" anything. Even if it was, it may have sentimental value and dismissively referring to it as "justa..." isn't justified.

I could afford to replace different firearms if lost or destroyed, but none of them are "justa ..." to me.

Onmilo
March 12, 2011, 06:29 PM
You can get a powerful magnet and 500 feet of heavy duty line for about $35.
Time to go fishing!:D

Years ago my cousin and I came up with an old wooden boat and took it out on the lake where it very promptly sunk.
My uncle made us recover that boat off the lake bed from a depth of about 20 feet.

After that experience I realized there is nothing going down that can't be brought back up with enough time and ingenuity.

danprkr
March 12, 2011, 06:30 PM
I kind of get the "geez it's just a glock" point of view. It's gone, nothing can be done about it, quit whining and get on with life. Sorry, but once it's beyond your control, let it go and start figuring out how to move on with out it.

And, you have to wonder how it wound up in the lake to begin with. I mean it didn't jump out of the boat for a swim, get cramps and drown. Someone put it there. Presumably by accident, but someone did something to cause it to wind up swimming with the fishes. So hold whoever undertook that action responsible, whether it's you or someone else. Take whatever legal actions you deem prudent and necessary to correct the situation and quit whining.

As some would say, buying the new pistol is your stupid tax. Just man up and do it.

jon86
March 12, 2011, 06:34 PM
It would ruin my day to drop just my $50 phone in the lake. Or a camera. I'm with the OP. It's not "just a glock." It's a large chunk of income, that needs to be saved up and up. Not only that, the glocks that I carry are TRUSTED. That means if I bought another one, I'd have to run "x" amount of my carry ammo through it and make sure it's good to go before I carry it. That expensive carry ammo is just one more expense.

THE DARK KNIGHT
March 12, 2011, 06:44 PM

Yeah but all my guns are registered with the state so that'd actually be pretty funny if I tried saying that to them. LOL

Gouranga
March 12, 2011, 06:47 PM
I will tell you this. I do not like Glocks. That being said, I can feel that guys pain. Yeah he did not drop a Kimber off the side of his boat, yeah there are more expensive firearms you COULD lose but dang. I do not think i could easily dismiss $500 off the side of my boat.

ColtPythonElite
March 12, 2011, 06:50 PM
While I would cry over the monetary loss from losing a Glock, I wouldn't shed any tears over losing the gun itself, since they aren't hard to replace.

buck460XVR
March 12, 2011, 07:00 PM
$500 is $500...I still fail to see the significant of how collectible the gun is.

Collect-ability is generally determined by rarity or personal attachment. Some collectable guns are irreplaceable no matter how much money you have. This is something that can't be said for most Glocks.

Would you merely say "aw shucks" if you dropped $500 in cash into the brown abyss?

I never said anywhere that I would not be upset about dropping a $400 gun overboard.:rolleyes:

I was just guessing where the OP was coming from. Regardless......I would be less upset from dropping a Glock than a Colt.....or a Smith, just because it would be easier and cheaper to replace.

hermannr
March 12, 2011, 08:13 PM
I would not cry about it, there would be no time...I would be out there trying to recover that Glock right now. Scuba lessons are less than the $500 cost of "even" a new Glock. Rent the tanks, wet suit etc and get down there...or as someone mentioned, get a big magnet and a long rope.

Hurricane
March 12, 2011, 08:14 PM
I'd dive in after it and chuck a Hi-Point back in for trade.

NMGonzo
March 12, 2011, 08:16 PM
I'll be diving looking for it.

$500 is money to me.

W.E.G.
March 12, 2011, 08:30 PM
...one of the responses that he got went to the effect of "Geez, it's just a Glock. They're a dime a dozen. Just go buy a new one".

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Glock/glockhaters.jpg

Zach S
March 13, 2011, 01:44 PM
I have a car that I got for roughly the price of a new glock. If I do something stupid and total it, I lost about $500 because I did something stupid - and it probably wont happen again. I'd refer to it as a $500 lesson.

Humiliation is one way to learn something, losing money is another. I'd be willing to bet that he doesn't drop another glock in the drink.

Would I be upset if I dropped my Glock off of the boat? Yes. Considering the fact that the water is deep, I cant swim very well, and its just a glock, I'd just cuss about it for a little while.

Weevil
March 13, 2011, 02:17 PM
Oh I don't think anyone in their right mind is gonna scoff at losing a $500 investment no matter how much money they have.

What I think he meas is that since "it's just a Glock" it can be easily replaced, for another $500 investment, and hopefully you will learn your lesson and not be such a clutzy doofus who drops an expensive pistol in a lake.

To me that is an advantage to the Glocks they're not some rare one-of-a-kind collectors item that you have to be scared to death of losing.

Even if you don't drop it in a lake, you may have to actually use it one day and there's a good chance the cops will confiscate. Better a $500 Glock sitting in the evidence locker of the local PD than a $2000 Les Baer or dad's 1911 he got in WWII and left to you.

Having a nice utilitarian pistol that you can afford to lose isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Hardware
March 13, 2011, 03:05 PM
Rare earth magnet and heavy line and it is time to go fishing for a Glock.

Imagine the look of surprise on someone fishing for lunkers who brings up a pistol! :what: I know of someone who snagged an old remote control battleship model. Recent sinking and he refurbed it and ran it around on the same lake. Wondered what would happen if he ran into the person who lost it.

Depending on the state, this might mean a bit of police involvement too. A $450 dollar loss would put me off my temper, for certain!

SuperNaut
March 13, 2011, 03:12 PM
Easily replaceable, isn't that exactly what Glocks are for?

elcaminoariba
March 13, 2011, 03:50 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/2/2/129096251994756984.jpg

REAPER4206969
March 13, 2011, 09:09 PM
Easily replaceable

A $500-$600 pistol plus ~$100~ for sights and $20~ for ammo is not "Easily replaceable" for 98%+ of the worlds population.

Also, Glock makes this for a reason.

http://glockparts.com/ItemMedia/10010/10010_2058.jpg

SuperNaut
March 13, 2011, 10:33 PM
Easily replaceable is a good thing; I think maybe someone is wound a little tight.

evan price
March 14, 2011, 04:28 AM
I guess I'd have to read the guy's post for myself.

If the issue is price, heck yeah, he's got a genuine concern. I'm not rich myself and I understand 100%. My work truck got hit in the rear last year. I like that truck. I've got it broken in and built up how I want it. Insurance got the thing fixed for $800 and insurance paid it. Would I be out if it was totalled? Yes. But it's a truck.

If he's bemoaning the loss of his Glock as somehow reducing him other than monetarily, well, that's kind of silly. I like all my guns, they are worn in to match my hand and I know how they shoot. But if I were to lose one forever, I could replace it easily enough. The only guns I have which I would care enough to not lose I wouldn't carry on a boating trip.

Would I b*tch about losing one of my Sigs overboard? Yes. But I would go buy another one. There's nothing magical about a tool.

At the end of the day, it's a Glock. There's thousands and thousands of them. They were mass produced in a factory to meet a price point. Not a one of them is probably worth more than a new one.

kyletx1911
March 14, 2011, 05:30 AM
glock or not your weapon is yours no matter what i costs i have 3 1911s 2 i got used
and all total 1100.00 and if i lost one i would be SICK

TreeDoc
March 15, 2011, 03:52 AM
If I lost my great grandfathers single shot Nitro Special, I'd be sick, or my grandfathers worn out 1100 or my dad's M-37 Ithica, but if my G-17 fell overboard, I'd probably cuss a little, set down and have a beer and keep on fishing. Go buy another one in the morning. The thing that most people hate about glocks is just the thing I love about them.

Slater
March 15, 2011, 08:35 AM
Some folks have to save up for quite a while to buy another one.

Jonah71
March 15, 2011, 11:05 AM
I'd be upset no matter what gun I dropped over the side. Now if I were to drop the Merwin Hulbert .38 1880's model, I'd be more upset than if I'd dropped my G 23, even though the selling price is about the same (the MH is the small frame). The M.H. would be almost impossible to replace and was a gift, so I'd rather lose the replaceable Glock. But imo, anyone who can "casually" lose $500 and not be upset, should send me the money. It would mean a lot more to me I'm sure.

JTH
March 15, 2011, 11:17 AM
What about gun insurance. My late Uncle had his .270 with a high dollar variable scope deer rifle. I'm quite sure he was three sheets to the wind drunk but he had it learning on his jeep, ended up backing over the rifle. His son my cousin said, if it would have been him that did it, ihe would have had to leave home!
JT

Arkansas Paul
March 15, 2011, 11:31 AM
I understand that it's not a rare or custom firearm worth thousands and there is some merit to that.
However, I'm a broke full time student. I'd be pissed if I dropped a magazine overboard. It would be even worse if it were full. :)

GrimmLV
March 15, 2011, 12:47 PM
This is epic!

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy180/halfblakk/PopcornGus-1.gif

HOOfan_1
March 15, 2011, 03:08 PM
I do believe I like the Burton Guster eating popcorn more than the Michael Jackson eating popcorn gif.

tarosean
March 15, 2011, 03:35 PM
I guess Im with the "Geez its just a glock" crowd.

I view all the polymer guns the same way, not just Glocks. They are not heirlooms just tools.

Ive lost a few highend rods and reels in the Lake/Ocean that might as well been a pistol. Yes it chaps my ass that I lost something like that but it has all been replaceable...

Lots of things throughout our lifetime break or need replacing.

elcaminoariba
March 17, 2011, 01:26 AM
What the heck is that, and why does glock make it?

Also, Glock makes this for a reason.Reason being what?

http://glockparts.com/ItemMedia/10010/10010_2058.jpg

tunnug
March 17, 2011, 01:53 AM
Everyone is posting on the loss, which is fine because that is what this is about, but the only way you'll loose a gun (unless you're a butterfingers) is if you have a funky cheap holster that won't hold it in place, many times I've seen guns in holsters just flopping around, you'll spend $500-$800 dollars on a gun and then drop $5-$15 dollars on a holster and call it good.
I don't mean you should go out and get the most expensive holster there is, just make sure it holds the gun tight and won't flop around on your belt.

Ridgerunner665
March 17, 2011, 02:10 AM
I'd hate to lose a $500 pistol (or anything else worth $500)...but yes, its just a Glock.

Taptaps
August 7, 2011, 03:52 AM
I think the, "it's just a glock," comments are just sort of a reflex. I'd say that it is more apt to use that phrase if someone is moaning about dropping their Glock, concerned that they broke something, when it has no apparent damage, or some other situation where their Glock has been abused. That being said, i am guilty of just that.
I think it's an emotional attachment that causes us to worry that we may have damaged a tool that we rely on for serious purposes, not how much we paid for it. As for just going out and getting another one, that tends to compute in my head as creating a situation where you now have one Glock that cost twice as much.
As far as dropping my glock in a lake, I'd be pissed. I'd also be grabbing my Father's scuba gear and retrieving it. Better believe it.

DeepSouth
August 7, 2011, 05:45 AM
If I lost a Glock it would bother me more than if I lost a High Point, but not much more.

Dr.Rob
August 7, 2011, 06:12 AM
Don't go boating without a lanyard.

Even if it was 'just a Glock' I'd be over the side chasing it to the bottom.

BushyGuy
August 7, 2011, 12:36 PM
Glock is a Glock, if that was a Custom Nighthawk 1911 he would change his tune. it sucks to lose any gun no matter the price.

gym
August 7, 2011, 05:05 PM
Magnet and long rope.

CraigC
August 7, 2011, 05:30 PM
I have to agree it's "just a Glock". Now I don't have $500 to just throw away, anymore than anyone else does but IMHO, that's what they're good for. Not that they're "disposable" but that they are easily replaced. If I lose a poly frame pistol, all I've lost is a tool. I haven't lost a fine old Colt, S&W, custom Ruger single action or contemporary USFA. I haven't lost anything that had a set of $200 custom grips attached to it. I haven't lost something that was engraved or had a fine blued finish. I haven't lost something I've spent untold days in the field with. I haven't lost something handed down from my grandfather. I haven't lost a trusted companion or the object of my desires. I haven't lost a custom Ruger that I spent years saving for and then a year just to have built. I just lost a relatively inexpensive tool and one that is easily replaced. For me at least, there IS a difference.

Everyone is posting on the loss, which is fine because that is what this is about, but the only way you'll loose a gun (unless you're a butterfingers) is if you have a funky cheap holster that won't hold it in place, many times I've seen guns in holsters just flopping around, you'll spend $500-$800 dollars on a gun and then drop $5-$15 dollars on a holster and call it good.
I don't mean you should go out and get the most expensive holster there is, just make sure it holds the gun tight and won't flop around on your belt.
Excellent post!

What the heck is that, and why does glock make it?
It's a lanyard and it's for weapon retention. You know, so your Glock doesn't end up at the bottom of the lake???

GLOOB
August 7, 2011, 10:40 PM
It's not that the Glocks aren't easily replaceable. It's that mine would HAVE to be replaced. Especially the G19.

If I lost almost any of my other pistols, it'd be more of a "well, I never used that one, anyway." I might buy another one, or I might not.

The Glock would be "Aw, heck. How soon can I get to the gunstore?"

Firemedic56
August 8, 2011, 08:14 AM
Exactly Gloob, its MY Glock. I know every inch of it and I carry it everyday. I've got several other pistols, and could easily switch to carrying something else... But its my Glock, regardless of how replaceable it may be, I would be sick if it was lost.

Omaha-BeenGlockin
August 8, 2011, 11:49 AM
For anyone who works for what they want--the loss of $500+ will be a sickening feeling.

Madcap_Magician
August 8, 2011, 12:11 PM
Geez, I lost ALL my guns in a lake.

mdauben
August 8, 2011, 12:43 PM
I have to agree it's "just a Glock". Now I don't have $500 to just throw away, anymore than anyone else does but IMHO, that's what they're good for.
I don't think that's quite a fair. Sure, it would hurt the same person worse to loose a $2000 gun with lots of custom upgrades, but to that person who lost the $500 gun, that might represent as big a chunk of his "discretionary income" as the $2000 gun does to you.

Now, sentimental value is something else again but really that is all in the eyes of the beholder. A simple Glock that a retired LEO carried for the last 20 years and maybe saved his life one dark and stormy night might mean just as much to him as your grandfather's antique Colt sixgun does to you.

I doubt many of us here can just laugh off the loss of $500, and to dismiss that as if it was nothing just becuase it wasn't an antique of expensive custome gun is kind of disingenuous. :scrutiny:

youngda9
August 8, 2011, 01:07 PM
Stupid tax...I don't understand all of the complaining. It's no different then running your car into something because you were distracted looking at some hot chick and not watching where you were going. You did something now man up, stop the wining, and take the responsability for your mistake. Buy another one...it's not something rare that can't be replaces, sheesh.

John Ross
August 8, 2011, 01:21 PM
Quote: For anyone who works for what they want--the loss of $500+ will be a sickening feeling.

Well, maybe for you. For the guy with an ex-wife who ran up big credit card charges while they were married and then filed for divorce to get a lump sum, or for the guy who likes to go mud bogging and is used to breaking axles, or for the guy who shoots $5000 worth of ammo a year, losing a Glock overboard is just another annoying expense, like needing to put a new clutch in your truck or having to fix the roof.

Feel like an idiot for five minutes and get on with your life. I guarantee there'll be more $500 surprises down the road due to one's own occasional ineptitude...

CraigC
August 8, 2011, 01:59 PM
I don't think that's quite a fair. Sure, it would hurt the same person worse to loose a $2000 gun with lots of custom upgrades, but to that person who lost the $500 gun, that might represent as big a chunk of his "discretionary income" as the $2000 gun does to you.

My point is that it's not about the money. It's about the intangible value we place on these things. That a Glock is just a soulless tool and we (or I anyway) don't put that value on it. It's "just" a tool with no other value than monetary. You Glock nuts may think otherwise but the vast majority look at them that way.

I seriously doubt anybody commits the effort and planning into purchasing a Glock as one would in having a custom gun built. I'm not talking about having $2000 to throw at something shiny and it just so happens to be a custom gun. You lose a $2000 custom gun you don't just lose $2000. You lose all the time you spent planning, sometimes getting parts and then waiting as much as a year or two. If you're like most folks, believe it or not, you spend the lead time saving money and paying for it a piece at a time. Then the anticipation. Versus, going to the local gun shop and buying a new Glock. Big difference.

You're assuming that anyone who commissions is just a rich dude throwing money away.

Slater
August 8, 2011, 02:09 PM
I think that, for someone who's having to hustle just to make ends meet, or just scraping by (and in this economy, that's probably quite a few folks), a $500 gun is quite a substantial investment regardless of it's lack of heirloom appeal. Yes,it can be replaced but it might take a year or so of saving to do it. Or maybe never depending on one's finances. That point seems to be lost on many folks.

CraigC
August 8, 2011, 02:49 PM
That point seems to be lost on many folks.
Not at all. Some folks just can't see past their own noses. I guess for some it may be unthinkable that a young man in his mid-20's, working 60hrs a week, making $9/hr would save his money for a year and then wait 9months to have his first custom Ruger built, huh?

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/sixgunsiii/large/IMG_7120e.jpg

Or that he might take a crappy job as a stage hand, working 12hr days with convicted felons to pay for his second. No, that would never happen.

http://photos.imageevent.com/newfrontier45/blackriver905/large/P1010031.JPG

eric1115
August 8, 2011, 04:58 PM
I think the point is, as several people have said, that it's not the money, it's that Glocks are more or less fungible. If you tossed your G23 in a pile of other used G23's, for all practical purposes it doesn't matter all that much whether you get yours back out or not.

I know that my dad's (previously his dad's) Belgian A5 is probably not worth that much more than purchase price of a new Glock, but I'd be MUCH more upset to lose that. It's put venison and pheasants on the table for 4 generations. I'd have to scrimp and save to replace that or a Glock with same, but the replacement Glock would be just as good to me as the one lost. A new to me used A5 would not. To a lesser degree, I think there are a lot of guns out there that get purchased for more than empirical reasons. 1911's, for example... I love them, but I'll readily admit that if I were a robot, I'd probably carry something else. And these guns lend themselves to sentimental value or attachment to this particular one.

Lots of things follow this model. I will cry less, for example, over a nice carbon fiber bicycle that gets wrecked/stolen vs a custom steel bike that costs the same. Not that it's ever a possibility in my lifetime, but if a tree falls on my garage that I have a Lexus LFA and a real, original Shelby Cobra in, which half do I want the tree to crush?

Fungibility is the issue here, not value. I'd not be so flippant over the loss of $500 worth of anything, but to each his own.

ThatGuyHank
August 8, 2011, 05:34 PM
I don't care what it is, it could be my 85$ Mosin Nagant but if it fell into a lake or got lost in some form I'd be combing every inch of the bottom of that lake. Not because it's an expensive gun but because it's MY GUN. I had to pay for it, I take care of it and I'm not going to let it rot at the bottom of a lake because it's "justa Mosin" or "justa Glock". I take pride in all of my firearms no matter how inexpensive and utilitarian or lavishly engraved and beautiful. They are all equal in my eyes and to lose any of them would not sit well with me.

My .02$

Nushif
August 8, 2011, 06:35 PM
[...] but because it's MY GUN.

Exactly my sentiment. I still have the desert cammie hat from the Air Force. Not because it's such a great hat, and individually made just for me out of custom materials only found on the south pole of venus. I have it because it is mine! MINEMINEMINE!
No, it has never been washed. That is bad JuJu. It has never not had rank on it. That's bad JuJu, too. And no, it always has current rank on it.
Why? Because when I am bored I play with it and straighten the brim. Because when it's hot outside I wear it. And when there's cold water I soak it and wear it. Because *I* use *my* hat in the exact way I like it and it fits *me.*
People can go on about "just a XYZ" when someone else loses a special item, but when it comes to their own stuff usually they end up feeling just like everyone else. Have I ever gottten attached to a Glock? Nope. Mine is a Kahr. I don't even shoot it anymore with any regularity. And it is an outdated model, worn to pieces almost. But it is *my* E9. that *I* broke in.
Does anyone here think a GI from WWI or II ever thought about ye fabled and mythical 1911 as anything other than a Glock? No! They were cheap, ugly, kinda worked and were "just tools" and now their nephew are treating them like some sort of hallowed object? Pfft. Sell it off! It's "just a slabslide." Right?

CraigC
August 8, 2011, 08:27 PM
Does anyone here think a GI from WWI or II ever thought about ye fabled and mythical 1911 as anything other than a Glock? No! They were cheap, ugly, kinda worked and were "just tools" and now their nephew are treating them like some sort of hallowed object? Pfft. Sell it off! It's "just a slabslide." Right?
All about perspective! ;)

Messenger Guard
August 8, 2011, 09:41 PM
Mine is beat up badly. I got it at Police discount. It has a number of hot rod parts but nothing too pricey. I would hate to lose it mostly because I need it for work and it has a magic aura about it in my mind since I have remained unscathed for over 10 years in harm's way. I know it's a mental thing like lucky socks when you were a kid before a game or a ghost shirt to a Plains Indian but the fact remains I have been safe with it on my hip. It's just a Glock but it's worth a life.

Fishslayer
August 9, 2011, 03:07 AM
It would break my heart if my RIA 1911 went in the lake. Sure it's not real expensive nor is it hard to replace, but it does represent a substantial amount of money (to me), I know it's a good one, and I invested a lot of rounds breaking it in.

If one of my old S&W revolvers went over tho I think I would announce swim call. ;)

CajunBass
August 9, 2011, 04:53 AM
Good grief. You're going to get your panties all in a wad because of what some guy on the internet said? You want to talk about something that's a "dime a dozen" it's flip comments posted some place like this. For all you know the person who posted it might be a 12 year old kid.

Laugh (or cry) and go on about your business.

Ruddie
August 9, 2011, 05:02 AM
For what its worth, the way I look at it is that a "daily use" gun is going to get messed up. It sucks because it cost money to buy and hurts when it get marred in some way or another. My Charles Daly 1911 is like that. Granted I didn't drop it in a lake or anything, it still erks me that its worn but that my fault for carrying it on a daily basis when I did.
Now I carry my Glock 22 all of the time and the finish is coming off of the receiver from holster wear plus it got a small chunk taken out of it from dropping it in my car and it hitting the seat frame underneath. It sucks but is manageable.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Geez, it's just a Glock"..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!