NRA

PDA

Xinowulf
March 13, 2011, 12:04 AM
I was just wanting some info. Should I join and why or why not??

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Robert
March 13, 2011, 12:08 AM
Hope you are ready for some heated debate. Some folks consider the NRA the worst bunch of sell outs since the beginning of time, but the fact of the matter is no other group has the power the NRA does. Are they perfect? No. But they are better than nothing, by a long shot.

Justin
March 13, 2011, 12:11 AM
Yes, you should join.

The NRA is one of the most powerful lobbying organizations in Washington, and they're responsible for the vast majority of advances made in the name of gun rights.

The NRA also runs any number of training and safety programs which help to train new shooters.

They also run and administer many competition programs.

On top of that, many shooting clubs and private ranges will require you to be an NRA member, as the NRA is the single largest insurer of shooting ranges in the country.

ProShooter
March 13, 2011, 12:13 AM
No organization makes everyone 100% happy.

With that said, the NRA does a great job at protecting our rights. If you decide to join, we offer a discount on a one year membership.

Join here - http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XP019625

kinkinhood
The NRA has both it's good and bad sides. Overall though I give them support for the reason of they're very good at being loud when it's necessary and preventing knee jerk reactions.

Irish Bird Dog
I would go with the NRA is good for gun owners.....Join up if you value your gun rights. Proud Member of NRA since about 1960!

whalerman
March 13, 2011, 12:15 AM
Join the NRA. If you don't like the way they are doing bidness, change from within. Join Gun Owners of America. Join local sportsmen's groups. Write your politicians. Write your local newspaper. Be informed. Fight. If you don't, you're rights will be gone. Sooner than you think. We cannot afford to roll over and we cannot afford to fight amongst ourselves. Lead by example. You represent your beliefs by what you say and do.

Justin
March 13, 2011, 12:16 AM
GOA's track record is spotty at best.

If you're going to join a gun rights organization that isn't the NRA, I would strongly suggest joining the Second Amendment Foundation (http://www.saf.org/), as they have an excellent track record.

bhk
March 13, 2011, 12:22 AM
If you don't join, you are relying on other NRA members to protect your rights. Be part of the solutiion.

heeler
March 13, 2011, 12:37 AM
Renewed my membership a couple of weeks ago.
And to show you the importance the day after I sent my check(yes a real check by mail) The local newspaper did on oped cartoon showing some sort of chracter in Mexico as the downtrodden suffering example of guns and some suit wearing white guy as the NRA pushing for less gun control to Congress.
At the end of the day the NRA is the biggest mouth peice we have and I will keep right on supporting them.
In fact if I hit the Lottery this very night I would send them as much as I could that would not place me in a position to get crossways with that other heirachy known as the IRS.

jimmyraythomason
March 13, 2011, 07:57 AM
Yes you should join! Contribute what you can to NRA-ILA as often as you can. Vote for candidates who support RKBA and communicate with them. These are the 2 best things you can do to help protect our 2nd Amendment rights.

Double Vision
March 13, 2011, 08:12 AM
No other organization does as much to protect your 2nd Amendment rights as the NRA.
The monthly magazine is worth the price of admission.
Join the NRA. You won't regret it.

blume357@bellsouth.net
March 13, 2011, 08:26 AM
I agree, join. the magazine is worth it.
And they are the big dog in the pen.
Then, once you are a member, you have the right to complain about how political they are.. in that they support candidates that don's support the second amendment, they think we only need to obey the existing laws (that's how we got gun control in the first place) and they spend most of their money mailing you stuff asking for more money.

michiganfan
March 13, 2011, 09:21 AM
Proud Member.

The Lone Haranguer
March 13, 2011, 09:29 AM
There are other gun rights organizations worthy of your membership or donations. But only the NRA has any real influence; it is the only group both hated and feared by "antis." There are additional benefits as well.

DM~
March 13, 2011, 09:55 AM
The NRA is well worth joining just to protect your/our gun ownership rights, BUT on top of that you get a decent magazine, $2,500.00 gun loss insurance, and some life insurance. ALL for $25.00 bucks a YEAR!

DM

Caliper_RWVA
March 13, 2011, 10:13 AM
Yes, join. Yes, you will get a lot of mail from them asking for money, but you will also get a good magazine and help support pro-2A legislation. Toss the jun mail...

As others have said, they are not perfect, but they have the clout to actually make things happen. There are other RKBA groups whose positions I may agree more with, but a lot of people already consider the NRA to be right wing crazies. Hopefully as more good legislation gets passed, National opinion will move more to the point where the NRA can work to repeal some of the worst gun laws like NFA and such.

TexasRifleman
March 13, 2011, 10:16 AM
You should join NRA, SAF, and your state gun rights organization too.

NRA is tbe big dog that politicians look to for voting numbers and whether they are 100% right all the time or not its the group politicians listen to.

SAF is the mean junkyard dog you want on your side in a legal battle.

Your local group has eyes on issues specific to your area.

You really do want to support all 3.

bikemutt
March 13, 2011, 10:28 AM
Maybe once in a while the NRA will gore one of my oxen, but it's rare (and I don't mean once cooked :fire:). The Armed Citizen section of any of the three magazines alone is worth the price of entry. Highly recommended.

J-Bar
March 13, 2011, 10:29 AM
You should join NRA, SAF, and your state gun rights organization too.

NRA is tbe big dog that politicians look to for voting numbers and whether they are 100% right all the time or not its the group politicians listen to.

SAF is the mean junkyard dog you want on your side in a legal battle.

Your local group has eyes on issues specific to your area.

You really do want to support all 3.
Absolutely!!

There is no law that says you can only be a member of one organization. As long as there are anti-gunners causing mischief, we should be supporting ANY and ALL organizations that oppose them.

There is NO good reason for a gun owner NOT to be a member of the NRA. There is NO good reason for a gun owner NOT to send them a few extra bucks every now and then, either.

J-Bar
NRA Patron

Manco
March 13, 2011, 10:57 AM
We need the NRA and the NRA needs us, so please become a member. Then join all of the other similar organizations (national, state, or local) that you can or care to (including the NRA-ILA, which is separately funded). There is no more effective alternative to preserving our rights (and gaining back what we've lost).

Ala Dan
March 13, 2011, 10:59 AM
I was an NRA member a long time, before becoming a Life Member~!

[Please read my signature line]

Art Eatman
March 13, 2011, 11:12 AM
I'm another long-time NRA guy. Joined in 1964; moved on up to Endowment when they did a Good-Deal offer. Life member in several other pro-gun groups.

As to lobbying influence in Congress, the NRA is said to be second only to AARP.

From what I've seen--and I worked for several years way too closely with political stuff in Austin--those who gripe about the NRA generally do not understand the bottom line of politics: When the votes are against you, the best you can hope for is a compromise.

rbernie
March 13, 2011, 11:30 AM
The NRA has a very broad mission, from hunting and sporting programs to general RKBA education to firearms safety to RKBA advocacy. It's not unlikely that an organization that broad will fail to keep all of the shooting community happy all of the time. It's equally unlikely that they will do all things as well as smaller, more focused groups of like-minded individuals. But having said all of that, no other group can claim the successes that the NRA can claim in terms of helping keep firearms and the RKBA respectable within our culture.

I am an NRA member, and I am a member of smaller more mission-focused RKBA advocacy groups. Both are important, but I always recommend that folk start defending their firearms by joining the NRA. Nobody else is fighting on all fronts, legislative *and* non-legislative.

statelineblues
March 13, 2011, 11:31 AM
I spent 30 years as an annual member, always making sure to send in my renewal year after year.

Last year I finally became a Life Member.

Along the way, I've been an NRA Certified Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Range Safety Officer, and have enjoyed participating in many NRA events.

NRA membership is what you make it, but I say -YES!

gathert
March 13, 2011, 11:49 AM
Got my life membership not too long ago. Not only do you get benefits, discounts, and an awesome magazine packed full of info, but the you get the NRA on your side. As a gun owner, they fight for your rights to keep your guns and use them. I dont see anyone else doing what they on such a scale and they have definitely help keep some know-nothing anti-gun zombies from passing stuff you wouldnt like.

Frank Ettin
March 13, 2011, 01:01 PM
Some things to think about --

[1] The NRA is the most effective RKBA organization. They have the largest membership of any of them, and they do the best that they can with that membership base. Politics is strictly a numbers game. If the NRA had more members, it could be that much more effective. And those folks who complain about the NRA's so called failures need to tell us who did, or could have, actually accomplished more.

[2] Facts of political life -- politicians don't listen to individual voters and they don't listen to or care much about reason. They care about numbers. One hundred phone calls or letters in support of or against something are better than 10. Ten thousand would be a lot better yet. It doesn't matter what the caller or writer says is the reason to support or oppose the thing. All that matters is the number on each side of the question.

[3] An NRA with 4 million members gets attention. An NRA with 5 million will get more, and an NRA with 10 million members could get some real serious attention. As annoying as the NRA can be, it's in our interests to see it grow and prosper.

[4] Politicians aren't swayed by fine arguments, logical demonstrations or even facts. They are swayed by how many voters (and potential voters and contributors) line up on each side of the question. They are influenced by political and economic power.

[5] Given all that, the NRA does what it reasonably can do in the political climate in which it operates. It can not perform magic. Under the right circumstances, it can, and has, effectively moved affirmative pro-RKBA legislation (like the law protecting gun makers from frivolous law suits and the National Park carry legislation). And sometimes it can block legislation we don't like. But sometimes the political deck is so stacked against our interests, the best we can reasonably expect the NRA to be able to do is help make the best of a bad situation.

[6] It's fine to talk about "no compromise." But remember that he who insists on all or nothing gets nothing. If the votes aren't there they aren't there.

[7] The NRA is at the forefront of shooter education and safety training. Their program for certifying instructors in a variety of disciplines helps make competent training more readily available to the public. And their "Refuse to be a Victim" program is excellent.

alsaqr
March 13, 2011, 03:07 PM
What Fiddletown said.

i've been an NRA member for over 50 years. If there were no NRA you could not legally own a BB gun in the USA.

xfyrfiter
March 13, 2011, 03:18 PM
Every gun owner should be an NRA member, if they want to keep their guns.

tuckerdog1
March 13, 2011, 03:21 PM
No brainer...Join.

Tuckerdog1

BHP FAN
March 13, 2011, 03:29 PM
BHK's right...''If you don't join, you are relying on other NRA members to protect your rights. Be part of the solutiion...'' Don't be a freeloader, join up!

Xinowulf
March 13, 2011, 04:21 PM
Ok guys thanks!! I'll definitely get on board. I want to keep my guns right where they are!

lilguy
March 13, 2011, 04:37 PM
No, don't support the NRA. Do like most folks in the shooting sports. Let others do the heavy lifting. 10's of millions of shooters in this country with about 4 million NRA members.
I belong to 2 shooting clubs, both require NRA membership to belong. I joined 40 years ago
and became a Lifer over 30 ago. Google top political action groups in US, NRA in top 5 all
the time. Add up all you have spent on shooting in your lifetime, is it worth 25 bucks a year
to support the the Group that fights tooth and nail so you can continue to enjoy that passion?

It's a no brainer

orionengnr
March 13, 2011, 05:24 PM
The wife and I are both Life Members of the NRA, and Life Members of the TSRA. Once we get all that paid off, we'll be looking at SAF/GOA.

Florida Scot
March 13, 2011, 05:37 PM
Yes, join the NRA, if everybody who owned a gun joined we would never have any officials trying to take or guns or rights away from us.............EVER

hso
March 13, 2011, 07:20 PM
Join the NRA because of their preeminent position/800lb gorilla status in national politics.

Join a state or local RKBA organization to keep your state and community free of absurds firearms laws.

rfwobbly
March 13, 2011, 07:39 PM
Yes, do join the NRA, but don't stop there. NRA is tops on national level legislation and court cases, but don't expect much local work with your state legislature. For that you need to join a state-wide club. In my state that's Georgia Carry.

http://www.georgiacarry.org/

Skyshot
March 13, 2011, 08:39 PM
Where would we be a this day without the NRA?

Dstoerm
March 13, 2011, 10:23 PM
I think the only reason you should join is if you feel that owning a firearm is a right that you appreciate having.

awgrizzly
March 14, 2011, 10:36 PM
You need to join, there is no alternative available. But don't be upset with constant requests for contributions... it's part of the territory. Without the NRA even the republicans would have sold us out long ago.

WoodyTX
March 14, 2011, 11:52 PM
Another Endowment Member. Yes, you will get spammed. No, they won't be at your beck and call. But yes, they are the biggest dog in the ring.

NRA membership is a decent start. Follow it up with ILA donations occasionally, membership in your state organization, and letters and phone calls to your politicians.

Irish Bird Dog
March 15, 2011, 01:36 AM
WoodTX said "No, they won't be at your beck and call."

I don't find that to be true anymore....I went to some pro gun meetings in my state over the years and actually met the NRA reps from headquarters who were assigned to my state. Got to say "Howdy" a few times....now I can email them when I have questions or concerns...they always get right back to me (even answer nites and wknds, must live/sleep with their computers) and always get me the answers I was seeking.....also, subscribe to the daily NRA updates and you will get all the news for all states all the time.

Try it you will like it.........the NRA I mean.......and try to meet the reps when they come to your state..........

Jaybird78
March 15, 2011, 10:20 AM
Someone else mentioned the 800lb gorilla in our corner of the ring. Sometimes you don't like everything the gorilla does but that gorilla is still in our corner.

Read my sig line.......do it.

Fleet
March 15, 2011, 10:32 AM
I take the shopping cart approach to the NRA. Even though some stores carry brands I don't care for, I don't quit shopping at them because of it.

The real issue I have with them isn't in legislation, it's in the realm of court cases. The single biggest 2A court case in the history of the country was Heller, and the NRA didn't get on board until they were embarrassed into it. All because they were afraid of it failing. Same with McDonald.

If it weren't for some other brave people, we'd all still be wondering what SCOTUS might say if and when.

Jonah71
March 15, 2011, 10:44 AM
Join the NRA. If you don't like the way they are doing bidness, change from within. Join Gun Owners of America. Join local sportsmen's groups. Write your politicians. Write your local newspaper. Be informed. Fight. If you don't, you're rights will be gone. Sooner than you think. We cannot afford to roll over and we cannot afford to fight amongst ourselves. Lead by example. You represent your beliefs by what you say and do.
I couldn't have said it better.

rellascout
March 15, 2011, 11:00 AM
I am a member but refuse all mailings and do not take the magazine. It costs me $10 a year IIRC. For the $2500 firearms insurance and $10,000 accidential death insurance I feel like I am getting a good deal.

For me NRA membership is a double edge sword. I am not a fan of the orginization. They are effective only when they want to be. They and the Brady bunch are two sides of the same coin.

It reminds me of something a Korean War Vet who was a figther jock told my father when they were in survival training together before they shipped off to Vietnam. "It might not be a good war, SON, but its the only one we got."

The NRA is better than nothing but they are far from good. If you listen to the NRA closely they will tell you out of one side of their mouth that your rights are in immanent danger while at the same time telling another group they are too entrenched to ever be taken away out the other side. It all depends on who they are pandering to and who the potential donor is. IMHO YMMV

jcwit
March 15, 2011, 11:08 AM
I am a member but refuse all mailings and do not take the magazine. It costs me $10 a year IIRC. For the $2500 firearms insurance and $10,000 accidential death insurance I feel like I am getting a good deal.

For me NRA membership is a double edge sword. I am not a fan of the orginization. They are effective only when they want to be. They and the Brady bunch are two sides of the same coin.

It reminds me of something a Korean War Vet who was a figther jock told my father when they were in survival training together before they shipped off to Vietnam. "It might not be a good war, SON, but its the only one we got."

The NRA is better than nothing but they are far from good. If you listen to the NRA closely they will tell you out of one side of their mouth that your rights are in immanent danger while at the same time telling another group they are too entrenched to ever be taken away out the other side. It all depends on who they are pandering to and who the potential donor is. IMHO YMMV

Well all of the above is an opinion.

rajb123
March 15, 2011, 11:13 AM
I was a long time NRA member until Wayne made the comment about Jack-booted thugs. I resigned my membership and have not suported this organization since.

jcwit
March 15, 2011, 11:18 AM
I was a long time NRA member until Wayne made the comment about Jack-booted thugs. I resigned my membership and have not suported this organization since.

Why would that upset/offend you?

So what are you doing to help protect you're rights now to replace what the NRA was doing?

Irish Bird Dog
March 15, 2011, 11:24 AM
Well, that is an individual choice but the rest of us are still carrying the load so those indiviuals are still covered under the NRA "umbrella". I remember the phrase but not who or what agency it was aimed at. President GHW Bush also turned in his Life member card over that statement...but then he had political motivations.

yeti
March 15, 2011, 11:26 AM
Yeah, and the Jack Booted Thugs really hated it when he called them that too.

rellascout
March 15, 2011, 12:39 PM
Well all of the above is an opinion.

And your point is????? :banghead:

It is also my opinion that the NRA's #1 interest isn't my rights. :what:

PS actually the first part I stated is 100% fact... I am a member but refuse all mailings and do not take the magazine. It costs me $10 a year IIRC. For the $2500 firearms insurance and $10,000 accidential death insurance I feel like I am getting a good deal.

It is also fact that the NRA tells different stories to different audiences for example Wayne LaPierre himself stated in rebuttle to Pro-gun ban Europeans that regardless if there ever is a U.N ban on small arms, our constitution trumps any UN agreement and the US will always have their guns reguardless of UN law. What was funny was that the NRA used that same weapons ban as a scare tactic to drum up donations.

They often frame the issue in order to appeal to the audience. This is the kind of stuff I can't stand and lends credence to a train of thought that they can be self serving.

jcwit
March 15, 2011, 12:45 PM
And your point is?????

It is also my opinion that the NRA's #1 interest isn't my rights.

This is odd, in ignoring the bigest org. trying to protect your rights, but then this is America.

So what other organization ARE you supporting, or are you depending on the rest of us to carry all the weight?

rellascout
March 15, 2011, 12:55 PM
This is odd, in ignoring the bigest org. trying to protect your rights, but then this is America.

So what other organization ARE you supporting, or are you depending on the rest of us to carry all the weight?

Maybe you are having reading comphrension issues. I state clearly I am a NRA member. Giving $$$ to the NRA has nothing to do with pulling ones weight. That view is myopic.

I do not believe my rights are their #1 priority. Self preservantion and power in and of itself drives the NRA more than my rights.

When I lived in VA I supported the VCDL. Now that I live in WV I support the WVCDL. The VCDL did more directly to protect and enhance my rights than the NRA IMHO. You are entitled to your opinion why am I not entitled to mine?

Why the need to challenge? Do you feel that you are under attack? Do you think that as a gun owner I do not have the right to challenge, question, correct and if I choose ignore the NRA?

jcwit
March 15, 2011, 01:02 PM
Maybe you are having reading comphrension issues. I state clearly I am a NRA member.

Sorry I missed the fact that you were a menber on post 46, its on a previous page on my computer.

Why the need to challenge?

I'm just that adamant that gun owners should be members of the NRA. Inagine the clout we would have if 98% of all gun owners were members.

BikerRN
March 15, 2011, 02:22 PM
I was a member of the NRA back in the 80's and quit because of some decisions they made.

After a trip to Australia one of the first things I did was rejoin the NRA. I realized then that while not perfect, they were the one political voice with the clout to be heard. Also, it's a membership driven organization, thus giving the members the ability to institute changes they feel are needed. While not as aggressive as some organizations, they are well respected in the halls of power, and that's where it counts.

Look at the last term elections. I have it on good authority that the NRA was going to give Harry "Whorehouse" Reid an A rating endorsement for his support of a gun range in Nevada. The members rose up and spoke on this matter, denouncing Harry when this hit the rumor mill, and if I recall correctly he was not given an endorsement. That's membership in action.

Because of their political clout I think every law abiding gun owner should be a member. To own guns and not be a member makes one equal to a sponge, sucking in all the water, benefits, but giving nothing back. Another way to express it is, "freeloader". Other organizations don't have the clout, and that's all that matters in Washington.

BikerRN

Walkalong
March 15, 2011, 03:15 PM
Yes. They are the best thing going we have. Perfect? Nope.

Look at other countries who have no NRA or similar group. The gun owners there are always telling us how lucky we are to have the NRA. I donate every time I buy reloading supplies.

I'm just that adamant that gun owners should be members of the NRA. Inagine the clout we would have if 98% of all gun owners were members.
Absolutely!

Irish Bird Dog
March 15, 2011, 03:37 PM
I believe in the NRA to the point that I bought my grandkids NRA LIFE memberships when they were still single digit ages. A view to the future as I see it.

awgrizzly
March 15, 2011, 07:57 PM
The NRA is totally 2A orientated. Harry Reid is an example. They were going to endorse him because he is an avid gun advocate and life member of the NRA. But that says nothing of his other qualities. 2A cannot stand on it's own without the other A's, and so the NRA had to back down on that deal. And just like a union they will constantly alert to threats that aren't always all that threatening to get contributions. But like crying wolf, every now and then there is a real furry critter lurking in the shadows. We have to just use our common sense, pick and choose. I make an ILA contribution each year, buy some neat stuff from the NRA store (got a super 5.11 jacket), and sometimes give a few bucks and get on of those neat gifts they send out (some of that stuff is surprisingly good quality). Any day now I'm gonna win 21 guns. =o)

The NRA is OK. I also belong to the United Northern Sportsmen. Do your part.

leadcounsel
March 15, 2011, 08:32 PM
Two words:
Heller
McDonald

Worth my $35 a year when I was an annual member. Then I upped to a lifetime-er.

Think about if ONE, just one, Justice were swayed to vote the other way...

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!