Ruger 1B in 0.220 Swift

PDA

Yamavira
March 13, 2011, 07:25 AM
Hi Guys
Would welcome information please.
I have a Ruger 1B in 0.220 Swift.

What is the barrel twist in this particular model. It is 15-20 years old.

None of the literature I have states the twist.
Comparing with the other cf 22s it is probably 1 in 14 but would like to know for sure.

Thanks for your assistance.

Yamavira :o

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 1B in 0.220 Swift" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Silent Sam
March 13, 2011, 09:53 AM
Should be 1 in 14. A tight patch will tell you, or a call to Ruger.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
March 13, 2011, 10:05 AM
Good luck working up a tight-group load for the 220 Swift! Out of over 25 or 30 cartridges I have had to make up loads for (over the course of about 30 years), the 220 Swift was absolutely THE WORST -- BAR NONE!

I had two new guns chambered for it and I went totally through the guns and there were no problems there!

I used about eight different bullets and about five or more different powders and different primers. No matter what combination I loaded, no group off a bench at 100 yards was less than about 2.5" in size! Some were so large at 100 yards, some bullets were off the paper!

I ended up selling both guns and wound up with a 22-250 which I could IMMEDIATELY see accurate results within the first day of shooting various load combinations.

Cop Bob
March 13, 2011, 11:34 AM
I love my Ruger M-77 in 220 Swift, I got lucky and found a load that has been holding about 3/4 moa. A real fun gun to shoot.

Watch for case growth when you reload, the really quick calibers have a tendency for necks to stretch pretty quickly.

For varmints and crows (out of shotgun range), it and my 17 Rem are my go too guns... (the 17 will print consistent 3/8")

Ruger M-77s are 1-14, as well as the Winchester M-70

Art Eatman
March 13, 2011, 01:12 PM
To expand on Silent Sam's comment: Use a tight patch and mark a line along the axis of a cleaning rod. Push the rod in until the mark makes one full revolution, and measure how far you pushed it. That would tell you the "one turn in XX inches".

Swift accuracy? Generally, excellent. I had a heavy-barrelled 77 which regularly shot 3/8 MOA with 52-grain Sierra HPBTs. My father's 1952 variety Model 70 Super Grade was sub-MOA with ammo that was over twenty years old. I had a 700 which was sub-MOA but for some reason I just never really liked the rifle; disremember why.

Yamavira
March 13, 2011, 02:14 PM
Hi
Much appreciate your replies.
Must admit having great difficulty getting a decent group. Fitted the accurizer kit but it has not made a great deal of difference.
Lovely looking rifle & I like the falling block design so at least one can "look good" at the range even if the groups are poor.

yamavira:(

joed
March 13, 2011, 02:32 PM
Good luck working up a tight-group load for the 220 Swift! Out of over 25 or 30 cartridges I have had to make up loads for (over the course of about 30 years), the 220 Swift was absolutely THE WORST -- BAR NONE!
I've had better luck with the Swift than a .22-250. In fact I have found the Swift to be a better cartridge then the .22-250 for just about everything.

The last rifle I bought was a Rem 700 in .22-250 but I looked long and hard looking for Swift, no one chambers them anymore. The only rifle I could find still chambered for this great cartridge was a Remington 700 VS SF II.

Soon as the barrel on mine is shot out the next one will be for a Swift.

SwampWolf
March 13, 2011, 04:31 PM
I've got (and have had :() a lot of rifles over the past 55 years or so and have shot more than a few of other peoples' rifles and can say with certainty that a Ruger No. 1 Varmint rifle, chambered in .220 Swift, that I've had since 1995 is the most consistently accurate rifle with factory ammunition that I've ever shot. And it's one of a very few rifles that I've reloaded for over the years that shoots better with factory fodder (Hornady) than any reload I've come up with yet. Maybe I'm just a lucky exception to the rule but, if so, I'm a very lucky shooter indeed. :)

Jake1996
March 13, 2011, 10:46 PM
decent rifle for long range hard to find ammo

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 1B in 0.220 Swift" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!